Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2018, 09:44   #3121
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
*SNIP*

1. Was in the VW workshop this morning to put my Jetta for its 3rd servicing (the 45k service as they call it). The estimate they gave me was quite high at least in my impression, here is a rundown of the estimate:
*SNIP*

My last years service cost me 12k. Is there something I can avoid in the above list, is this a ripoff in anyway?
*SNIP*
My 3rd service cost Rs. 18,769, but it included replacing the front brake-pads.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 10:28   #3122
BHPian

I think its too late to have a dedicated thread, thought better to update on this thread.

Have got a 2014 Jan TDI Highline DSG done 63k till now.

Recently got tyres changed from OEM Goodyears to Michelin PS3Ts at 60k kms.

The Jetta is chugging along smoothly apart from the famous Battery issue at 47k. Got an Amaron, the put it forget it battery.

Fueling pattern is one Shell VPower tank full for every 3 IndianOil COCO normal tank full. The Jet really becomes like a jet when on VPower. Has anyone else experienced this?

The Car is running on Original Brake pads till now. However, recently starting to hear creaking sounds from the rear right pad. Probably need to get it cleaned.

The car returns an average efficiency of 15 KMPL in City and around 17 on the highway.

Enabled the below using VCDS:

- Lane changing indicators blinks to 5
- Large Digital Speedo
- Refueling liters
- Indirect TPMS
- Rain Closing
- AFS 2 front Lighting

Other Mods done:

- All halogen bulbs changed to LEDs (except Static Cornering and interior lighting which I like OEM Yellow)
- White LED Puddle lamps.
- Viofo A119 Dashcam hard wired.
- Minor tweaks to the front Grill using black Wrap to make it look bigger.
- Dedicated Android phone between steering and meter consol that runs Torque Pro and RealDash over the OBD. IMO best place for the navigation too.
- MMI Cable changed to USB to enable FLAC playback. Works like a charm.

Planned mods:

- TPMS Set and ESP Off buttons. (Ordered)
- Ambient lighting supplementing the Red LEDs on the roof console. (Parts on way)
- Exterior door handle lights à la BMW.
- Duel Color LED Fogs (White and Yellow). I ordered them but received wrong bulbs. Ordered again.
- Remap and related performance mods. (need to decide which one)
- Bilstein Shocks upgrade once the OEM are done with.

Will keep this updated! Will post pics soon!

Last edited by vinayrathore : 28th June 2018 at 10:32.
vinayrathore is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 10:39   #3123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Other Mods done:

- All halogen bulbs changed to LEDs (except Static Cornering and interior lighting which I like OEM Yellow)
-
Congratulations!! Jetta is a wonderful driving machine.

You mean you changed healights to LEDs? Can you please elaborate on this? which LEDs and what about cooling system of LEDs and how is the performance?
Mission_PGPX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 11:38   #3124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Congratulations!! Jetta is a wonderful driving machine.

You mean you changed headlights to LEDs? Can you please elaborate on this? which LEDs and what about cooling system of LEDs and how is the performance?
Not touched the Xenons. I don't think putting in LEDs would be a good idea on the Projectors made for Xenons. Only lights changed to LEDs are all tail light bulbs, front Indicators and Puddle lamps. H8 fogs are on the way.

Last edited by vinayrathore : 28th June 2018 at 11:47.
vinayrathore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 14:45   #3125
BHPian

Guys, have a question. How much oil does your jetta consume? I have a remapped Jetta and after 4000 kms had to top up by about 700ml. Is this normal?
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 17:26   #3126
Senior - BHPian

Jetta to my knowledge does not consume any oil. My car has not consumed ANY oil right from day one. It has run 1L Kms in total; about 60k Kms since it was Remapped.

Recently I have transferred ownership of my Jetta to Bhpian Atul Chandra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Guys, have a question. How much oil does your jetta consume? I have a remapped Jetta and after 4000 kms had to top up by about 700ml. Is this normal?
How much had it run before Remap? Had it consumed oil before Remap?
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 18:04   #3127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Jetta to my knowledge does not consume any oil. My car has not consumed ANY oil right from day one. It has run 1L Kms in total; about 60k Kms since it was Remapped.

Recently I have transferred ownership of my Jetta to Bhpian Atul Chandra.

How much had it run before Remap? Had it consumed oil before Remap?
My car has done only about 33k kms. I never really checked before remap because I used to get the car serviced at VW authorized centers. I got the remap at 29k kms and since there was no warranty I started getting it serviced at Shibin's. Have been keeping a look for oil consumption after getting the remap done. Some online forums do say it's ok. Just thought I would check with others here. Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th June 2018 at 18:28. Reason: Removing unwanted spaces in the quoted post. Thanks.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 10:22   #3128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
My 3rd service cost Rs. 18,769, but it included replacing the front brake-pads.

Cheers
Thanks for the inputs. In my case the damages amounted in the end to 17k, they included lots of labour charges for checking the brakes noise and fuel efficiency issue for me.

Have not driven much after that to be able to determine if any of these are fixed as of now.

I live in Pune, and have to shuttle from one end of Pune to other (20 kms one way) at least 2 times a week. Will keep an eye out of the FE and report what I am seeing.

Anyone from Pune can confirm what FE figures they see driving in the city and on the highway?
Old 29th June 2018, 17:25   #3129
BHPian

Quote:
I think its too late to have a dedicated thread, thought better to update on this thread.
I have a pre-owned 2014 Jetta DSG as well at 53k. I have been wanting to post details of what I have done for a long time. Your post finally gave me that last push
  • Pete's Remap
  • Replaced RCD510 with RCD330+ with Android Auto (Link)
  • For Android Auto, you have to connect a cable from the front of the RCD330+ to the phone resulting in an ugly sight of USB cable dangling in front of the console. So I bought a usb cable and switch (Link), cut one end of the cable and soldered to the USB port of the RCD330+ PCB. I then connected the other end of the cable to the USB switch, which was fixed to one of the empty slots next to Park Assist Button. But doing so increased the overall length of USB cable between the RCD330+ and my Android phone, which resulted in reduced signal strength. In this setup Android Auto did not work reliably. So went back to original setup with less cable clutter thanks to this USB C cable (Link)
  • Replaced 4 tyres at 45k with Conti MC5 (205/55/R16)
  • Replaced all interior bulbs with canbus error free LEDs (Link)
  • Installed the ESP and TPMS buttons. Got the ESP button to work but for some reason cannot activate the indirect TPMS. I had the 12.12 VCDS bought 4 years ago so I bought a 18.2 VCDS cable from Aliexpress but I still can't activate indirect TPMS. I think I have tried almost everything but to no avail. Chethan_B_G's tutorial was the simplest and most online methods from VWVortexd and other sources are similar. I think there might be something wrong with my ABS sensors and I might have to get them checked. Not sure.
  • Installed the rearview camera with Time Delay (Link)
  • Replaced the OEM ORVM with Dimmed (Blue) ORVM (Link)
  • Installed stainless steel pedals (Link). The footrest now is properly wide.
  • Bought an ashtray to act as trash collector (Link).
  • Bought a couple of storage nets for the boot (Link)
  • Bought a Mesh Cargo net for the boot (Link)
  • Bought a central storage box to organise stuff (Link)
  • Hard wired a Dashcam meant for Jetta and Passat with RLS (Link)
  • Footwell Lights procured. Yet to be installed (Link)
  • LED reverse (Link) and LED rear fog lights
  • Non slip mats for storage areas (Link)
Quote:
Other Mods done:

- White LED Puddle lamps.
- Can you please let me know from where did you source the LEDs for stop lights, turn signals and fogs?
- How did you get the puddle lamps changed. So far as I know it involved removing the ORVMs at the risk of breaking them, and disassemble the entire housing to get to the puddle lamp. The VW service centre guy I asked to replace the dimmed ORVM broke one of the OEM mirrors already and therefore I am afraid to do this mod now.

Last edited by Immix : 29th June 2018 at 17:51. Reason: Added more details
Immix is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 10:10   #3130
BHPian

Happy to report that Jetta is doing well under new ownership

Chetan was kind enough to give the Brochure that he got along with his car.

Have scanned and attached the relevant sections for benefit of all - this is pre-facelift 2013 model year I believe.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-scanned-image-1.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-scanned-image-2.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-scanned-image-3.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-scanned-image-4.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-scanned-image-5.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-scanned-image-6.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-scanned-image-7.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-scanned-image-8.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-scanned-image.jpg  

Redline6800 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 11:20   #3131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post
Happy to report that Jetta is doing well under new ownership
Congratulations once again Atul !

Waiting for your ownership review; when ever you find time. Needless to say that I will be glued to your ownership thread! Please feel free to continue my ownership thread if you would like to.

All the best!
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 16:25   #3132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immix View Post

- Can you please let me know from where did you source the LEDs for stop lights, turn signals and fogs?
AliExpress

Many links no longer exist but listing the ones that work:

Indicators: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Supe...576919655.html

Puddle Lamps: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2PC-...495380711.html

MMI USB: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Musi...702952389.html

Brake lamps: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CYAN...825333332.html

TPMS Set: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tire...520834844.html

ESC Switch: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/A-ST...858207026.html

Footwell Halogen (I like non LED interior): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OEM-...085976106.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immix View Post
- How did you get the puddle lamps changed. So far as I know it involved removing the ORVMs at the risk of breaking them, and disassemble the entire housing to get to the puddle lamp. The VW service centre guy I asked to replace the dimmed ORVM broke one of the OEM mirrors already and therefore I am afraid to do this mod now.
Learnt the hard way:

I broke one ORVM lens during self install before realizing the potential risk. Had to shell 5.5k for the broken lens and got the puddles installed when I got the lens replaced. Had to request the technician at VW Hosur road to do it.

Last edited by vinayrathore : 8th July 2018 at 16:29.
vinayrathore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2018, 18:21   #3133
Senior - BHPian

Vinay, I am looking for indicators and brake/stop light bulbs. Have you installed these already? Was it Canbus error free? Also how is the improvement? Some pics, especially brake lights would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 14th July 2018, 16:29   #3134
BHPian

Contrary to other member's good experience, mine wasn't as good with trico wiper blades. Got them last year from the same seller as other members ordered on ali express. I wasn't happy with sweep; It used to leave some water on windshield after the sweep and operation was very noisy. Sometimes it was getting stuck in between for microseconds (as if the surface wasn't smooth enough) during the sweep which results in jerky operation.

It finally gave up yesterday after exact one year. I will replace it with OEM ones tomorrow.

Please let me know if I missed any trick with trico wiper blades which led to bad experience.

Last edited by bhavik.1991 : 14th July 2018 at 16:31.
Old 15th July 2018, 11:04   #3135
BHPian

I own a pre-worshipped mid-2014 Jetta TSI CL. The car has clocked 33K kms.

I am very satisfied with the car's performance and built quality. However, one issues continuously nags me... and that is DOOR RATTLE.

The doors are certainly more solid than equivalent Japanese cars, but somehow I do not get the reassuring thud on closing the front doors, which VW stable cars seem to be famous for. Instead, there is a minor rattle. More so on the driver side door. Sometimes, I can hear the rattle whilst driving also. The rear doors seem to be fine.

The car was in extended warranty till mid 2018. I brought this to the notice of the Service Center several time during servicing/ checkups. They assured me that the same will be fixed. But nothing seems to have changed.

Is there any acoustic treatment (pads, inserts etc.) which I can opt for to improve on this?

Last edited by acemanhiflier : 15th July 2018 at 11:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks