Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2018, 15:52   #3226
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

I was able to disable Parktronics manually with the switch (under the dash panel) and Parktronics used to keep quite until I engage reverse gear or if I enable again manually by tapping the same switch. This used to help a lot in bumper-to-bumper traffic, and avoid those non-stop beeps which interferes into (overrides) the music volume. Recently I noticed - maybe since my last service few months ago, that Parktronics disabling is just momentary, and kicks in soon something gets close to the bumper. This is very annoying, especially when the music volume fades to the back. So when I'm driving to work in Whitefield, I keep my index-finger on that switch all the time Crazy!! I'm sure there's a better way to enjoy such traffic.

Any idea if this is as expected, or a way to get it work as it used to work ?

Cheers!

Last edited by sunsbhp : 3rd December 2018 at 15:55.
Old 3rd December 2018, 16:04   #3227
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsbhp View Post
Any idea if this is as expected, or a way to get it work as it used to work ?
Well that's how VW intended the new parktronic system to work i.e. to alert the driver in case of an object in the vicinity of the vehicle. Works the same way in the Passat as well.

What HU do you have? If it's the MIB II based system, try turning it off from here:

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-screenshot_20181203160140_1.jpeg

Under Car > Setup > Parking and maneuvering.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 16:14   #3228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Well that's how VW intended the new parktronic system to work i.e. to alert the driver in case of an object in the vicinity of the vehicle. Works the same way in the Passat as well.

What HU do you have? If it's the MIB II based system, try turning it off from here:
Thanks Gannu, but I used to disable it earlier (until reverse-gear overrides it) until couple of months ago.
Yes, MIB II and looks like it's a workaround - thanks.

Last edited by sunsbhp : 3rd December 2018 at 16:16. Reason: bad phrasing.
Old 3rd December 2018, 17:01   #3229
Senior - BHPian

On a full load (4/5+luggage) the rear mud flaps scrape every single road hump.

I recently did a bangalore-tirumala drive and with the road widening going on and with full load, I had to come to a crawl at each and every hump, despite which the rear mud flap would scrape. Quite annoying with all the traffic and honking on this road.

Is this what other owners experienced as well or do I need to get it checked ?Anyone tried shorter mudflaps only for the rear like these ?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Set-...793570138.html

Last edited by shashank.nk : 3rd December 2018 at 17:04. Reason: added link
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 22:05   #3230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post

I recently did a bangalore-tirumala drive and with the road widening going on and with full load, I had to come to a crawl at each and every hump, despite which the rear mud flap would scrape. Quite annoying with all the traffic and honking on this road.

Is this what other owners experienced as well or do I need to get it checked ?Anyone tried shorter mudflaps only for the rear like these ?
Hi Shashank, I have been doing lot of travelling for the past 2 months. Did Bangalore - Kanchi; BLOR-Chikmagalur; and yesterday a Blor-Sagara-Sigandur full house of 5 with luggage like you did to Tirumala. Trust me it did scrape just once or twice only on the left hand rear side. This is bound to happen for a full house car but not every bump you come across.

There should be something that needs to be checked.

Graaja has installed mud flaps that bend but do not brake. Might help in your use case.

here (Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review)
sangam_mm93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 22:25   #3231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Shashank, I have experienced the same with my earlier Polo and I ultimately removed the flaps. The sad fact is that the constant and heavy scraping eventually slowly dislodges the rear bumper so be careful. In my Cruze the front lip was just too low and and would slowly force the front bumper out of alignment .

If you face this issue consistently, either remove them or go for the flexible ones bought by graaja.

Last edited by itwasntme : 3rd December 2018 at 22:34.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 00:43   #3232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangam_mm93 View Post
Hi Shashank, This is bound to happen for a full house car but not every bump you come across.

There should be something that needs to be checked.
What i've observed is with 4/5 luggage the wheel arch is barely an inch or so from the wheel so the car sits a lot lower, so much that the rear mud flap is a mere 3-4 inches off the ground. I don't know if this happens with others as well. If you could check the next time on your car and let me know it would be of great help.

Also, i scraped 95% of the humps may be, not the one's which were scientifically laid like rumble strips/humps on highways or humps on alipiri bypass.

Quote:
Graaja has installed mud flaps that bend but do not brake[/url]
Thanks for the post link. I'll order those right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
If you face this issue consistently, either remove them or go for the flexible ones bought by graaja.
Aah yes! It used to happen with the Polo as well when fully loaded. Quite scary that it may result in a out of alignment bumper, will get the shorter one's fitted if this becomes a big annoyance.
Old 4th December 2018, 15:22   #3233
BHPian

Quote:
On a full load (4/5+luggage) the rear mud flaps scrape every single road hump. *SNIP*
OK, I believe you to have the same 2015 facelift Highline DSG model that I have.

If you look at your fuel-flap you'll notice that the recommended tyre pressure for a full load (pax+luggage) is 44 psi at the back and 39 at the front.

Maybe you could do a test run at these pressures along the same route and see if the problem persists?

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 16:03   #3234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
OK, I believe you to have the same 2015 facelift Highline DSG model that I have.

the recommended tyre pressure for a full load (pax+luggage) is 44 psi at the back and 39 at the front.

Maybe you could do a test run at these pressures along the same route and see if the problem persists?

Cheers
Hi,yes it's the 2015 facelift dsg. I was apprehensive of the recommended tyre pressures since it was simply too high and quick search of tbhp revealed most left it at 32-35. I drive with 34psi on all tyres.

I plan to visit in January if all goes well and will probably try these and report here.

Since you use a DSG, what mode is mostly recommended for 4 lane highways? I drove in D most times and during panic braking (missed noticing a speed breaker in advance) there was hardly any engine braking.

I later used the paddle shifts to drop a few gears and braking was a lot better. Should I use 'S' instead ?
Old 5th December 2018, 10:24   #3235
BHPian

Quote:
*SNIP*

Since you use a DSG, what mode is mostly recommended for 4 lane highways? I drove in D most times and during panic braking (missed noticing a speed breaker in advance) there was hardly any engine braking.

I later used the paddle shifts to drop a few gears and braking was a lot better. Should I use 'S' instead ?
Meh, I stick to "D" all the time except when I am driving along twisties; at which time I switch to "S" purely because that mode is easier on passengers prone to car-sickness.

I did use the paddles when the car and I were new to each other; but the novelty wore off quickly. Now I use the paddles very rarely - maybe when driving down slightly steeper mountain-roads; or when I need quick acceleration for overtaking moves from crawling speed.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 21:23   #3236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Meh, I stick to "D" all the time except when I am driving along twisties; I use the paddles very rarely - maybe when driving down slightly steeper mountain-roads; or when I need quick acceleration for overtaking moves from crawling speed.
In the very brief period I've driven the car, the issue with D mode is its very quick to upshift to 6th gear (anything upwards of 80km/hr), two issues i've noticed are:

• For the speeds I do (100-110 with occasional bursts to overtake) the engine is chugging along at 1100-1200 rpm at around 100 km/hr and if you need to overtake a car doing say 100 km/hr on a 2 laned,no divider highway I have to drop a gear or two to get into the turbo zone for a smooth quick overtake
  • Very little to no engine braking

I'm using paddles to drop a few gears for better braking and quicker overtakes as of now, let me see if it becomes redundant in my case too as I adapt to the car.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 17:13   #3237
BHPian

Hi Folks - The battery of my 4.5 yrs old Jetta mk6 2.0 TDI went kaput, looking for recommendations please?
Old 19th December 2018, 21:19   #3238
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Hi Folks - The battery of my 4.5 yrs old Jetta mk6 2.0 TDI went kaput, looking for recommendations please?
Go for Amaron. That is the favorite choice for replacement battery for many Jetta owners (including me) here.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 10:05   #3239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Go for Amaron. That is the favorite choice for replacement battery for many Jetta owners (including me) here.
Thanks bro, ordered the replacement on Amaron online @ Rs. 8.2K in exchange, 24 Hrs turn around time, let see how this goes.

https://www.batterywale.com/batteryw...aka/Bangalore/

I will be coming home to Coimbatore this x-mass - new year, care for a coffee if you are around? also to drool on your 3GT
Old 20th December 2018, 23:56   #3240
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Thanks bro, ordered the replacement on Amaron online @ Rs. 8.2K in exchange, 24 Hrs turn around time, let see how this goes...

I will be coming home to Coimbatore this x-mass - new year, care for a coffee if you are around? also to drool on your 3GT
I think you should be set for the next 5 years with the Amaron

Sure. We could catch up when you are here. Let’s discuss on PM.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks