Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2018, 23:35   #3106
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
So, after 17 months, 3 more issues have been discovered.

1. ABS & ESP Warning Light.
2. Headliner is Sagging
3. Rumbling noise from Front Axle.

1. ABS & ESP warning light has surfaced, Braking is as good as before. I suspect it's a faulty Wheel Speed Sensor.

2. The Headliner was good till early this year, but since last 4-5 months it has been sagging. I think it's the glue that holds it to the roof has dried.
Any solutions to this ?

3. Off late, I am hearing rumbling noise from Front side. The tyres were silent, but this sound is becoming more pronounced over time. Tyres are Michelin Primacy 3ST. I checked with my tyre guy, he said wheels are good. Nothing wrong with them. He is suspecting Wheel Bearing to be the culprit here.

So, is it the wheel bearing ?
I am yet to visit a VW Service Center.

Any estimate of price of the Wheel Bearing. Car's warranty period is over.
Hi Nish have you found any solution to the headliner sagging problem? I am in the same boat at the moment, my 2013 Jetta's headliner has been sagging progressively since the last 6 months. As a temporary solution I have used some spiral pins to hold it in place.
Old 15th June 2018, 21:01   #3107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish

2. The Headliner was good till early this year, but since last 4-5 months it has been sagging. I think it's the glue that holds it to the roof has dried.

Any solutions to this ?

I have recently redone Jetta's headliner. Though the shade is very close to the original liner the material quality is a way off. The original material is fabric and we could not get the original fabric fitted as it is very fragile and tore off. The material that is installed is more like a thin carpet but installs with the same finish as the original one. Total setback us Rs. 6000+ 18% GST. Will try to post some pictures tomorrow.
Old 15th June 2018, 21:10   #3108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavit46 View Post
I have recently redone Jetta's headliner. Total setback us Rs. 6000+ 18% GST. Will try to post some pictures tomorrow.
I have similar problem in my Laura. You did it in A.S.S or outside?
Old 15th June 2018, 21:42   #3109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodh_eee View Post
I have similar problem in my Laura. You did it in A.S.S or outside?

I did it outside. I had tried preciously with A.S.S on another Jetta but they did a shoddy work with lots of grease and dirt marks on the liner. They used the same liner that was on the car.
Old 18th June 2018, 15:19   #3110
BHPian

Just got the tyres changed on my 2016 Jetta TSI which has done 38000 km till now. The change was not strictly necessary considering that the OE fitted GY tyres had a fair bit of rubber on them and could easily have rolled along for another 20000 km but the difference that the Pirelli P7 Cintuarato tyres have made to the ride is unbelievable. The ride is quieter, more refined and much less bumpy. And good for my BP. Definitely reccommended.
Dead Head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 16:56   #3111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I had the exact problem. The original battery died in about 18 months, which VW replaced under warranty. The second one also died within another 18 months, and I changed it to Amaron. Documented in the below posts.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3821639

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4170905
Guess many of us had to go thru this second time, and mine just happened last week! I had the battery replaced by VW SC 18 months ago, but back then it was just 6th month of ownership when it went kaput! Had the very similar situation this time - it just wouldn't start in the morning, and throws up all warnings & displays, though the headlight will come on when I unlocked. Tried jump-starting with the help of RSA, drove for an hour, returned home and parked. Tried cranking up again in 2 mins and it will not start. So had the car towed to SC by evening.

Hoped for an update call from VW SA so that I could argue not to replace with the same Exide battery, but didn't get a chance - rather I was told that battery is already replaced. So, I'm sure I will have to face this again, and have to get a jump-start cable as an accessory in the boot now.

With so many repeat complaints, wish VW did something to improve here and try another battery... instead of replacing with the same crappy (sic) battery.
sunsbhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 17:43   #3112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsbhp View Post
Hoped for an update call from VW SA so that I could argue not to replace with the same Exide battery, but didn't get a chance - rather I was told that battery is already replaced. So, I'm sure I will have to face this again, and have to get a jump-start cable as an accessory in the boot now.

With so many repeat complaints, wish VW did something to improve here and try another battery... instead of replacing with the same crappy (sic) battery.
Is the battery replaced under warranty again? Or are you paying for this? If you are paying for this, you have the right to refuse battery replacement and get it replaced with an Amaron or Exide from outside.

If this is done under warranty, then yes, you may have that nagging in your mind of the battery giving up on you any time. In that case, you can still exchange the new battery that is changed under warranty to an Amaron or Exide. This being a new battery, you may get better exchange price.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2018, 16:05   #3113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Is the battery replaced under warranty again? Or are you paying for this? If you are paying for this, you have the right to refuse battery replacement and get it replaced with an Amaron or Exide from outside.

If this is done under warranty, then yes, you may have that nagging in your mind of the battery giving up on you any time. In that case, you can still exchange the new battery that is changed under warranty to an Amaron or Exide. This being a new battery, you may get better exchange price.
Yes its under warranty :( and I think I will stick with this for now - and get a survival-kit (cables). Thanks Graaja.
sunsbhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 12:04   #3114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsbhp View Post
Yes its under warranty :( and I think I will stick with this for now - and get a survival-kit (cables). Thanks Graaja.
Apologies to barge in, but after my woes with my Jetta's battery, which included getting stuck at least 3 times at various isolated locations around green green Pune, I would recommend just drop in to the nearest Amaron pitstop and get one of those. Life has been so much more simpler, and stress free since I have replaced my Exide for an Amaron. Now I am not scared every time I try to crank up the engine. My 2 cents.

BTW, the real reasonS for my post:

1. Was in the VW workshop this morning to put my Jetta for its 3rd servicing (the 45k service as they call it). The estimate they gave me was quite high at least in my impression, here is a rundown of the estimate:

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-jetta3rdserviceinvoicepart1.jpg
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-jetta3rdserviceinvoicepart2.jpg

My last years service cost me 12k. Is there something I can avoid in the above list, is this a ripoff in anyway?

2. After this years experience, I am thinking of going to FNG from the next service. Considering Velocity motors in Pune for the same. Just wondering if not getting done from the authorised service center will affect the extended warranty, resale value etc etc?

3. On a separate note, my car has somehow magically developed lots a scratches at various parts of the body, there are also 2-3 small dents, again not sure how they go there. Is there a way to get these fixed? Or do I have to live with it now. Do not want to talk to the VW ASS, all they can think of is super expensive options.

Thanks in advance for inputs forum.

Last edited by manson : 27th June 2018 at 13:54. Reason: Typo.
Old 27th June 2018, 13:09   #3115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Is there something I can avoid in the above list, is this a ripoff in anyway?
It seems you have been billed for 4.3 + 1 =5.3L of engine oil. Unless you have bought a 1L bottle of engine oil separately, the extra 1L can be removed. Also, the second item under Parts, termed "LUB. SPRAY" can be removed as well as it's usually included in the regular service without any extra charges. You can maybe let them pass the "Cleaner" mentioned towards the end.
BigBrad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 13:33   #3116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, the real reasonS for my post:
Quote:
1. Was in the VW workshop this morning to put my Jetta for its 3rd servicing (the 45k service as they call it). The estimate they gave me was quite high at least in my impression, here is a rundown of the estimate:
My last years service cost me 12k. Is there something I can avoid in the above list, is this a ripoff in anyway?
Looks pretty normal to me for a D1 diesel car heading for a 45K km service. VAG service intervals will specify what needs to be checked or replaced. Naturally as you clock up the miles more parts would require replacements.

I assume the oil sump capacity is 5.3 litres. But was under the view it was about 4.3-4.5 litres. You may want to verify that by checking with previous invoices for the amount of oil. Something called a dust filter? What is that? The other filters are likely to be air and fuel.

Quote:
2. After this years experience, I am thinking of going to FNG from the next service. Considering Velocity motors in Pune for the same. Just wondering if not getting done from the authorised service center will affect the extended warranty, resale value etc etc?
Unless you get a reputed FNG who is an expert or a "near expert" with VAG cars please stay away from them. It's more trouble than anything.

If you have an extended warranty you have no choice but to go to an authorised dealer. Plus cars serviced at these dealers generally fetch better prices since you have a full service record. But the biggest advantage of going to an ASC is free part replacements if there is a recall by the manufacturer. Try that with a FNG. The second major advantage you have is if something goes wrong you can escalate to VW and have the dealer make reparations. A FNG generally washes their hands off the car unless you know the owner very well.

Quote:
3. On a separate note, my car has somehow magically developed lots a scratches at various parts of the body, there are also 2-3 small dents, again not sure how they go there. Is there a way to get these fixed? Or do I have to live with it now. Do not want to talk to the VW ASS, all they can think of is super expensive options.
There are good automobile body shops in Pune but I prefer sticking to the ASC primarily for the exact paint shade, finish and warranted job.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 13:42   #3117
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Harry,

Well, refer post #49 on below link of review of my latest service experience. Check air-filter price, they are now higher. Also now you can not remove any item if main source is selected as 45K service. Its a bucket shopping now. So you have to buy what comes with it, or you simply ask for oil and filter change. Yes, the prices have gone up but quality seems ok. I would say, stick to VW service centre for annual service, if your running is about 15K in a year. If its more than that they you can take A-la carte menu of oil and filter change.

FNG service may be bit cheaper, but with such a lovely car, you want to be double sure of work done quality.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...endline-4.html

Last edited by manson : 27th June 2018 at 13:55. Reason: Fixed quote.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 14:48   #3118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

15k is very reasonable for a 45k kms service IMO. In fact, 12 to 15k is what we can expect from any oil change service for a Jetta once in 15k kms. If Brake pads / disks are to be replaced, it will cost more.

In fact, the costs are similar even for a Polo, which makes Jetta cheap to own and service.

I would not look at an FNG just to save a couple of thousand rupees. If it is a compressor or an alternator replacement, it is okay, as they can also be repaired. That can save cost to a large extent. Also note that third party oil filter and fuel filters can be of lower quality.

IMHO, please stick to dealerships for routine service. Get wheel alignment and balancing / wash.. etc, outside.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 18:09   #3119
BHPian

Thanks for all your inputs folks. So it sounds like I am overreacting on the costs of the servicing, will stay put. If polo servicing costs are similar then definitely I am overreacting, its like having an an elephant for a pet!

BTW got a call from the ASS rep, he said since I complained about squeaky brakes and a fall in fuel efficiency, they need to perform additional testing, and hence the car would have to be kept overnight, and will be ready after testing tomorrow in the second half.

Is this usually the case? Anyone has had this experience with the VW ASS earlier?
Old 27th June 2018, 21:00   #3120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is this usually the case? Anyone has had this experience with the VW ASS earlier?
The SOP for any VAG dealer for a post-service complaint is to decree that your vehicle needs to be connected overnight to the mysterious (Lord of the Rings music here!) VAG Offboard Diagnostic Information System (ODIS) or the VCDS (VAG-COM Diagnostic System) for them to diagnose anything.

The faster you get used to it the better you will empathize with the sadism. I have faced it with my Polo and now continuing with my Octavia.
itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks