Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2017, 13:24   #3001
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Too difficult to gauge damage. Better drive it to chennai and i know a fantastic mechanic who takes care of my Jetta. He can get this sorted out
Thanks. I forgot to mention that the check engine light is on (constant, not blinking). But the car seems to be performing fine, no loss of power.
Old 9th October 2017, 10:59   #3002
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Goddamn rats have chewed my wiring during the incessant rains in Bangalore. I think its the air mass flow wiring, not sure. But can bhpians please help me know what the wiring is and what is the damage I can be looking at. I don't want to be conned by the VW service center. There is also another wire they have chewed behind the headlights.
I found VW Rajajinagar reasonable to deal with, I had a wire to the brake fluid chomped off. They merely soldered it back
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 15:21   #3003
Senior - BHPian

Re: ESP & Steering Wheel Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I finished a really long trip for the Dusshera weekend - (Blr-Lucknow-Blr) of around 4k kms and the car behaved impeccably. After leaving it idle for a day - when i tried starting it today morning - two warning lights came on. ESP (Yellow) & Steering Wheel (Red). Also - the Power Steering doesnt seem to be working as there is no hydraulic/electric assist when trying to turn the wheels. Everything else is working perfectly - no other error signs on the dash as well.

Planning to call VW RSA tomorrow morning first thing - thankfully the car is still in warranty (1 month left). Lets see what comes up.

Has anyone faced a similiar issue ?
I got the car towed on Saturday to Elite Motors and it was inspected today by the SA.

As suspected by some of you - its wire damage due to rat bite hence not covered by warranty SA has quoted roughly 4k for wire replacement - does it look ok ?
Old 10th October 2017, 15:16   #3004
BHPian

Guys....saw a 2011 Jetta with 45k on the Odo. It's a highline with the DSG gearbox and the car is a single owner serviced in company so far. Next services is 10,500 km or 130 days as per the MID unit. It's sold via the VW dealership in Kochi for 11 lakhs and said can reduce to 10.5 lakhs. What do you guys think? It's gonna be my first German if I am buying it (thought of BMW 3 series but with the budget I have I can only see 2009-2010 models with high mileage and no too confident about it). Is the Jetta's DSG box having the same reliability issues or anything else I need to watch out for?
Old 10th October 2017, 16:06   #3005
Senior - BHPian

DSG is always a problem. Can go wrong when you least expect. Its a risk you will be willing to take. The MKV from 2010 is a great buy. A year older than this car but available for anything between 5-7L giving you enough balance to refresh the car including wheels and suspension. The MKV comfortline is already fully loaded and will run for another 5 years easilly. There are lot of MKV's available in the market. You can check that option as well.

Even if VW provides warranty for a year, 11L personally feels high for this car which is 6 years old now.
Old 11th October 2017, 00:03   #3006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
Guys....saw a 2011 Jetta with 45k on the Odo. It's a highline with the DSG gearbox and the car is a single owner serviced in company so far. Next services is 10,500 km or 130 days as per the MID unit. It's sold via the VW dealership in Kochi for 11 lakhs and said can reduce to 10.5 lakhs. What do you guys think?

I think 11 lacs for a six year old car is way too high. If I remember correctly in 2011 Jetta was priced at around 14 Lacs. Please check the billing invoice and then calculate the depreciation value accordingly. 11 lacs sounds higher, 7-8 Lacs should be a decent price for a six year old Jetta IMHO. DSG 200 gearbox is notorious for niggles kindly consider that as well.
Old 11th October 2017, 01:33   #3007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
DSG 200 gearbox is notorious for niggles kindly consider that as well.
The Jetta in consideration is a 2.0 TDi and it comes with 6 Speed Wet Clutch DSG which is very much reliable. No issues whatsoever.

Price definitely needs to be negotiated; also this model is now discontinued. Another point for hard bargain.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 13:47   #3008
BHPian

Mods, apologies if I am breaking some rule about linking to another thread of mine here; bu I thought it might be interesting to read that for people here who have yet to come across that other thread of mine.

I am facing a weird issue with my air-conditioning in my 2015 facelift Jetta TDI Highline. Here is the post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...er-hour-2.html

Cheers
Old 12th October 2017, 13:10   #3009
BHPian

Got some bad news that my turbo is leaking oil. However the car seems to be performing well with no loss in power. If I need to replace the turbo in future what's the damage that I am looking at? Thanks.
Old 12th October 2017, 17:28   #3010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
Guys....saw a 2011 Jetta with 45k on the Odo. It's a highline with the DSG gearbox and the car is a single owner serviced in company so far. Next services is 10,500 km or 130 days as per the MID unit. It's sold via the VW dealership in Kochi for 11 lakhs and said can reduce to 10.5 lakhs. What do you guys think? It's gonna be my first German if I am buying it (thought of BMW 3 series but with the budget I have I can only see 2009-2010 models with high mileage and no too confident about it). Is the Jetta's DSG box having the same reliability issues or anything else I need to watch out for?
While the DSG has been plagued with issues, those are primarily with the 1.8 TSI's. Reliability isn't nearly as big an issue on the 6 speed DSG's that came with the 2.0 TDI diesel. I've had mine for about 51000 kilometres and it's not been an issue for me.

The price on this example is quite steep, keep in mind it was the first gen of this particular Jetta here and will be shorn of quite some creature comforts. Keeping that in mind, the price doesn't seem right.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 21:07   #3011
BHPian

Hi Folks,

Need advice on buying a used Jetta. Details of the listing I am currently negotiating on :

Model: 2.0 TDI Highline MT
Year: 2013 [Pre facelift - No DRL's and auto climate control]
Kms: 29000
Owner: First. [Company owned]
Exterior condition : One long[not deep] scratch on bonnet and few scratches on front mudguard. No dents or any damages. Needs a good polish as the paint looks a bit dull.
Color: Black
Price: 11.5 Lakhs
Insurance : Lapsed
Warranty : Lapsed
Tires : Has another 5-8k miles left

Few questions which i need help on:

1. Is it a good price if I get the car for 11 lakhs?
2. Any particular thing I need to check on/be aware of while getting a used Jetta?
3. I got the service history of the car[told verbally] and was told it was serviced properly and on time. Do I have to get it checked by a mechanic? If yes can someone suggest person/service which can certify the car in Bangalore?
4. I will be driving the car tomorrow. Anything particular I need to check on when I test drive it?
5. Is Jetta a good used car to buy spending 11 lakhs if my total budget for car purchase is 15 lakhs[for used/new]. Requirements being good handling car and good safety features.

Thanks,
Bipin
Old 14th October 2017, 08:01   #3012
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipinbn View Post
3. I got the service history of the car[told verbally] and was told it was serviced properly and on time. Do I have to get it checked by a mechanic? If yes can someone suggest person/service which can certify the car in Bangalore?
Bipin, while the BLR Jetta owners can comment on the specific points, all I can stress upon is service history! Please get the official service history from VW through some contact our ask the owner to share the same. That should be a massive pointer to the upkeep of the car.

Further, check insurance claim history by asking for all insurance policies since purchase.

Get details of who drove it. Was it self-driven or by a chauffeur?

Check age of tyres to ensure mileage is genuine. Tyre code should roughly correspond to car manufacturing date. Similarly, check windshield/rear shield manufacturing code to ensure no accident replacement issues. Similarly, age of battery.

Hope these generic points help.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 09:11   #3013
Senior - BHPian

Bipin,

Plus side
- Its a manual transmission
- 29k is just around half way of breaking in the engine
- Its a Jetta and it will out run most cars when it comes to mechanical reliability

Minus side
- Price slightly on the higher side
- Suspension, transmission belts, wheels(yes wheels), tyres, brake disc, brake pads, biggest of them all the condenser which will go kaput. Keep an allowance of 2-3L for worst case scenario.

Now considering the worst case scenario you will end up pay close to 15L and hence to me the price is on the higher side. Opinions will differ.

Test drive check the following:-

- When car in Neutral how does the engine sound. Do you happen to hear any audible sound coming from transmission/clutch
- When car in neutral try to depress the clutch half way and full way. Ideally you can get an idea about clutch and flywheel.
- Suspension could have become soft. This will be visible with load on car and speed breakers. Mud guards will scrape compared to a stiffer suspension.
- Similarly drive at our highway speed and see if the suspension shows softness (Should not be too bouncy and show signs of body roll)
- Stationary, turn the wheels both sides slowly (fully) with window down or you standing outside. Hear for any joint related noise.
- At highway speeds and slightly above, check for vibrations which can indicate bent wheels
- Check roof liner(is slightly notorious to start bubbling and showing signs of peeling of due to age and weather. Visible near the front lights and surrounding.
- Door liners. Weather based peeling is possible.

Take it to VW and ask them to do a thorough check and estimate. 30% of that estimate is your expected cost of buying this car now .

Best part - Fairly easy to maintain.

Last edited by VW2010 : 14th October 2017 at 09:15.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 10:58   #3014
BHPian

@itwasntme and @VW2010

Thanks a lot for valuable information buddies.

Some more information:

The vehicle belongs to a corporate firm managed by ALD Automotive. ALDAautomotive also maintains and takes care of getting the cars serviced as per their website. Not sure if this gives me some relief if I am not able to get the service history.

Regarding service history:

I have contacts only in VW Mysore and none in VW showrooms, Bangalore. From my contact in Mysore I got a verbal communication back saying that he got the history checked from his friend and it all looked fine.

The car was serviced all along in Volkswagen Palace Cross, Bangalore. It will be very helpful if any team-bhp member has some contacts in Palace cross Bangalore to get more information.

Regarding insurance claims:

I am not able to find out if the car had any insurance claims. The middle man I am talking to has to go through all sort of protocols[with the company] to even get the keys for test drive. He was not able to get the insurance policy from them.

Is there any other way to find out if they car had insurance claims? The middle man says that since its a corporate owned car any repairs would have been done in Palace cross and if I can get hold of the service/ repair history from the then I will be able to clarify the doubt.

Regarding price:

From what I see I should be able to close out the deal for 10.5 lakhs. Is this price high for 2013 TDI Highline with 29000 kms?

Regarding vehicle check:

I did visually inspect the vehicle thoroughly. Removed the door liners all around and it looked good.

Felt the panels for uneven surfaces all around and I didnt see any repair job/repaint job done. Also the weldings and suspension mounts all looked factory.

One thing I observed when I started the car was the engine does not rev beyond 2500 rpm. Is this normal?

Also after it revs to 2500 rpm and comes back to idling rpm at around 2000 to 1000 rpm range there is a light "krrr" sound which comes from the engine bay[I remember similar sound from my Shogun years back and the mechanic used to say its pistion rings sound ] I know its tough to troubleshoot here but if this is something common with Jetta then its fine.

I will have more information when I drive the car today.

Thanks,
Bipin
Old 14th October 2017, 13:24   #3015
BHPian

Quote:

Some more information:

The vehicle belongs to a corporate firm managed by ALD Automotive. ALDAautomotive also maintains and takes care of getting the cars serviced as per their website. Not sure if this gives me some relief if I am not able to get the service history.
While this significantly increases the possibility of the car getting serviced regularly, it doesn't guarantee it. Though ALDAutomative might take care of service bills, the person who drives it needs to be not lazy enough to get it serviced.

Quote:

Regarding service history:

I have contacts only in VW Mysore and none in VW showrooms, Bangalore. From my contact in Mysore I got a verbal communication back saying that he got the history checked from his friend and it all looked fine.

The car was serviced all along in Volkswagen Palace Cross, Bangalore. It will be very helpful if any team-bhp member has some contacts in Palace cross Bangalore to get more information.
I think this should be sufficient. Any VW workshop will have the same amount of information as others as information gets saved in a centralized database. You can specifically ask about the kms done, month/year of the service & oil changes at VW Mysore for your peace of mind. So until & unless someone has very personal contact at VW Palace cross & is able to connect with appointed SA(s) for the services, there is no point in contacting them

Quote:
Regarding insurance claims:

I am not able to find out if the car had any insurance claims. The middle man I am talking to has to go through all sort of protocols[with the company] to even get the keys for test drive. He was not able to get the insurance policy from them.

Is there any other way to find out if they car had insurance claims? The middle man says that since its a corporate owned car any repairs would have been done in Palace cross and if I can get hold of the service/ repair history from the then I will be able to clarify the doubt.
Ask him to get at least insurance number (from soft copy or anywhere) & insurer's name. Rest, you can contact the insurer (customer care) & have the claims history.

Quote:

Regarding price:

From what I see I should be able to close out the deal for 10.5 lakhs. Is this price high for 2013 TDI Highline with 29000 kms?
I think it is a fair price, given that Bangalore falls under the highest road tax bracket for cars in the country. I would call it a good deal if you would get free insurance along.

Quote:

Regarding vehicle check:

I did visually inspect the vehicle thoroughly. Removed the door liners all around and it looked good.

Felt the panels for uneven surfaces all around and I didnt see any repair job/repaint job done. Also the weldings and suspension mounts all looked factory.

One thing I observed when I started the car was the engine does not rev beyond 2500 rpm. Is this normal?

Also after it revs to 2500 rpm and comes back to idling rpm at around 2000 to 1000 rpm range there is a light "krrr" sound which comes from the engine bay[I remember similar sound from my Shogun years back and the mechanic used to say its pistion rings sound ] I know its tough to troubleshoot here but if this is something common with Jetta then its fine.

I will have more information when I drive the car today.
Though I have never tried to do so in 'N', I don't think the engine not revving above 2.5K is normal. Does it redline in 'D' or 'S' mode? You can use paddle shifters as well to redline (make sure engine is warm enough to redline). Most importantly, get it thoroughly checked at an authorized VW workshop, they charge meagre 800 bucks for general inspection. Ask them to check everything for any potential damage/replacement. Don't close the deal before getting it inspected no matter how tempting the deal looks.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks