Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2019, 12:27   #3316
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post

I also checked on the add-on warranty - the cost is Rs 56,000 for one year.
It is not worth it. 63K + 7 years, except for a water pump and routine service, I don't see a need for it.
Old 23rd April 2019, 12:49   #3317
BHPian

@MADMAX111

Yes indeed, it is Chetan's Jetta ! Everything is working fine and I drive the car very carefully and generally sedately.

The Bilstein B6 is an outstanding piece of kit if, you are regularly driving on the highway. Even after more than 50,000 km of use, I feel that the suspension behaves like brand new. Chetan drove the Jetta all over Karnataka so the car would have experienced all types of road conditions.

The highway ride is flat and the car is a joy on long winding roads and corners with dips and undulations. I tend to stay under 120 kmph, with occasional forays beyond when on the highway. I would describe the highway ride as 'supple' and there is no 'floatiness' at high speed or 'dive' on braking.

To me, the B6 would be more than adequate for Indian road conditions.

In the city the ride is harsher at lower speeds but not uncomfortable at all.

In any case, I always take a large pothole and almost all speed breakers in 1st gear. When you go over the speedbreaker too fast you get a bit of a crashy thud.

Chetan had mentioned to me that if the usage was in city mainly then the stock shocks would suffice, but if the majority is highway usage then the B6 do make a difference.

I would second this opinion and highly recommend the Bilstein B6.

@AJMAT
Thank you, i have decided not to go for the extended warranty. I was unable to get the car serviced last week, due to work commitments, but will complete it this week and update.

Could you also provide me the contact of the garage owner who took care of your Jetta?
Redline6800 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 10:47   #3318
BHPian

I am in Delhi. Usually visit the authorised service centre VW Frontier. However, last time they did not check the battery during scheduled service, its one cell was dry!! And the battery died shortly thereafter, luckily just before an outstation long drive.
Could get the replacement from EXIDE as it was under warranty.

Since then I have explored german Motor Mechanics in Delhi for small issues, and appear to be OK till now.
Old 30th April 2019, 11:52   #3319
BHPian

Hi Forum,

Been recently thinking of upgrading to a SUV, which I miss when out on my long drives. The Jetta TSG is great but I have always missed 2 things

1. The smoothness of a petrol engine
2. The ease of an SUV, all my route decisions are based on how potholed the road is.

For this reasons, recently a topic has started in the household to move to an SUV, I am currently considering Jeep Compass Petrol Auto, so some inputs here would be welcome. One of the biggest criterion we always have is safety, which was the reason to go for the 6-airbag Jetta largely outside our budget.

Also, for my Jetta, which is 2015 manufactured, and has just completed 4 years (37k mileage), gone through a 4th service with DSG oil and ribbed belt replacement, what kind of resale value can I expect? It is still with OEM tyres. Also whats the best way to get the best value on my car.

I know I am asking for a lot of inputs in a single post, so thanks in advance friends!
Old 30th April 2019, 15:35   #3320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Also whats the best way to get the best value on my car.
I would not be able to comment on this, but would like to give you a perspective of what dealers are expecting. I was in the market to buy a 2-3 year old Jetta Highline DSG last fortnight(to replace my 9.5 year old Manza) and dealers were quoting 14.5 to 15.5(after initial negotiations) for 2-3 year old cars below 30K kms. Everything looked clean in those cars: interiors, engine bay, boot, body.

Unfortunately, I could not get a good price for the Manza so the euphoria fizzled out.

Thanks to @neoonwheels & @sukiwa specially for putting some sense in me(Heart vs Mind discussion).
Hudson is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 11:05   #3321
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Also, for my Jetta, which is 2015 manufactured, and has just completed 4 years (37k mileage), gone through a 4th service with DSG oil and ribbed belt replacement, what kind of resale value can I expect? It is still with OEM tyres. Also whats the best way to get the best value on my car.
If you want the best price from your car, you need to have a lot of patience and try to sell it directly without a dealer. When I sold my nearly 4 years old Jetta (MY2014, Highline DSG) a year back, I had just spread word through my friends circle and got a buyer after a month's wait. I got 13L from this direct buyer. Dealers were quoting 1L lower.

All the best with the sale of the Jetta and your next upgrade!

Last edited by graaja : 1st May 2019 at 11:06.
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 11:48   #3322
BHPian

TPMS SWitch Retrofit

Recently had a tyre puncture on an under construction highway and due to night time, rough/bad road didn't realise. Result tyre flat with 17 punctures in the centre due to tyre running almost flat.

So decided to retrofit Indirect TPMS with reset switch. I have the VCDS, and have got the switch from ALiexpress. But not very sure of wires connection. I understand the long red yellow wire is to go in ABS controller.

There is a seperate small bunch of three wires and a connector presumably for ESP switch coming out of the harness from TPMS switch. The problem is I do not have the ESP switch.

So would like to know whether I need the ESP switch also OR I can retrofit TPMS reset switch without and how??

I would like to do it without installing ESP switch. People who have done may comment please.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-20190503_113452.jpg  

Last edited by MADMAX111 : 3rd May 2019 at 11:50. Reason: Spelling
Old 7th May 2019, 13:34   #3323
BHPian

I'm looking to upgrade the DRL's to white color. Couldn't be sure if the ones I found are error free. Any suggestions for error free DRL's? No issues even if it's an American website as I have someone coming soon. The bulb type is 7506 I believe? I'm also looking for white license plate bulbs and their size is 2825 if I'm not wrong? I need suggestions for both the DRL's and license plate bulbs.

I have found these for the license plate lights but I'm not sure if they're error free.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MZ...PSECAW75&psc=1

Thanks and Regards
Sarfraz Khan
Old 18th May 2019, 18:36   #3324
BHPian

So, I got my 1,05,000 km service for Jetta done.
Timing Belt change also done.

Very happy with service costs and even happier with the performance of this fabulous automobile at such high mileage.

Link below:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4590879 (A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family)

Last edited by Redline6800 : 18th May 2019 at 18:36. Reason: spacing and grammar
Redline6800 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 21:58   #3325
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Jetta owners - I am facing a rather peculiar issue with my Jetta. I am experiencing slight shake/vibrations on the steering when the speed of the car goes beyond 100. The vibrations increase at 120, and progressively thereafter.

I faced similar issue about 3 yrs ago, and it turned out my alloys were bent. I changed them under warranty, and lived in peace for a couple of yrs. This time too, the alloys were bent - so, I changed them again, with after-market ones this time. Currently, my car is running Momo revenge 17", with Michelin PS4 225 R45, which I think is the right size (for an upgrade). However, the shakes and judders in the steering hasn't gone. I've shown it the VW guys, who seem to have no clue!

I am very frustrated with the lack of knowledge of both the tyre shop (a very famous one in NCR region), as well as VW folks - who actually blamed the tyre upgrade for a long while. The VW service folks claim that the suspension is perfectly okay (I hope they are right).

What to do now...?

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 18th May 2019 at 22:00.
Old 19th May 2019, 13:20   #3326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Jetta owners - I am facing a rather peculiar issue with my Jetta. I am experiencing slight shake/vibrations on the steering when the speed of the car goes beyond 100. The vibrations increase at 120, and progressively thereafter.

I faced similar issue about 3 yrs ago, and it turned out my alloys were bent. I changed them under warranty, and lived in peace for a couple of yrs. This time too, the alloys were bent - so, I changed them again, with after-market ones this time. Currently, my car is running Momo revenge 17", with Michelin PS4 225 R45, which I think is the right size (for an upgrade). However, the shakes and judders in the steering hasn't gone. I've shown it the VW guys, who seem to have no clue!

I am very frustrated with the lack of knowledge of both the tyre shop (a very famous one in NCR region), as well as VW folks - who actually blamed the tyre upgrade for a long while. The VW service folks claim that the suspension is perfectly okay (I hope they are right).

What to do now...?
I have had this happen to me after changing to new tyres. No amount of road-force balancing helped. Only the speed at which the shudder happens changed every time.

My tyre vendor (Madhu's Enterprises Bangalore - the owner NikhilB is a Distinguished BHPian) realised that one of the new tyres was defective. Since we were unable to identify which the defective one was, he arranged to have all four replaced under warranty with minimal cost to me (since I had driven a few hundred kms on those new tyres). I have not had the problem since.

I suggest that you find a place where they do road-force balancing, not just normal balancing; and see if you can get the wheels properly balanced; and then maybe replace the tyres if that does to resolve the issue.

Good luck.

Last edited by tilt : 19th May 2019 at 13:21. Reason: Grammar.
Old 19th May 2019, 14:16   #3327
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

What to do now...?
First of all, thanks to Tilt for bringing me to this thread.

As he suggested, I recommend you find a place with road force balancing.

Given your issue, I am happy to extend whatever help I can in Delhi NCR. There is a famous shop in Delhi/NCR which is Haryana Car Care, Faridabad. He has a Road Force Balancer. I am not sure if you went there or not. In any case, if you are prepared to go there, I can request someone I trust technically from my Delhi team to be present at the same time and personally get your car looked into.

Sometimes the technicians miss certain messages displayed by the equipment.

I think a similar exercise can be done in the other tyre store which has a Road Force Balancer which is the Pirelli Store in Kailash. However, we have a good relation with the owner of Haryana Car Care and would prefer that.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 17:23   #3328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
First of all, thanks to Tilt for bringing me to this thread.

As he suggested, I recommend you find a place with road force balancing.

Given your issue, I am happy to extend whatever help I can in Delhi NCR. There is a famous shop in Delhi/NCR which is Haryana Car Care, Faridabad. He has a Road Force Balancer. I am not sure if you went there or not. In any case, if you are prepared to go there, I can request someone I trust technically from my Delhi team to be present at the same time and personally get your car looked into.

Sometimes the technicians miss certain messages displayed by the equipment.

I think a similar exercise can be done in the other tyre store which has a Road Force Balancer which is the Pirelli Store in Kailash. However, we have a good relation with the owner of Haryana Car Care and would prefer that.

Yes yes. That will be perfect. I'll also PM you to get working on this.

Need to fix this immediately. The Jetta is such a beautiful car that the whole fun is to drive it hard on the highway. If I can't do that then...

One more point - Ive had the car Pete'd for over two yrs now. That should have nothing to do with this problem though, right?
Old 19th May 2019, 19:54   #3329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes yes. That will be perfect. I'll also PM you to get working on this.

Need to fix this immediately. The Jetta is such a beautiful car that the whole fun is to drive it hard on the highway. If I can't do that then...

One more point - Ive had the car Pete'd for over two yrs now. That should have nothing to do with this problem though, right?
I dont think remapping your car will have any effect on the wheels w.r.t the vibration
Old 22nd May 2019, 22:09   #3330
BHPian

Does the 2011 Jetta Highline have front footwell lights from factory? I recently dropped my car at a FNG for painting. Can't seem to recall if the Jetta had or didn't have or is it just my feeling as all my other cars have it.

Thanks and Regards

Most Viewed