Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2019, 17:59   #3286
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_HexaGuy View Post
Finally, the Jetta is remapped man. I'm very happy for you. I know how hard it was to convince the family but at the end it was all worth it.

What's the hike in the power now? Petes offers a Stage-1 map which churns out approximately 177 hp. Your Jetta is more complete now and hope this stays for a few more years. All you require is a head unit upgrade. The existing one is old school man. After that upgrade, your Jetta would be complete.

Waiting for a report on the same as you munch miles.

Cheers!
Can anybody provide any inpur from where to procyre MIB2 HU fitted in 2016 Jetta at a reasonable price. Vagtune has it but quoting 82k. Retailers in US or Europe quoting similar price. Akiexpress has RCD 330 plus, but no Discover / Composition Media HU. Any input is welcome.
Old 22nd March 2019, 22:59   #3287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarfraz1997 View Post
I'm currently looking at purchasing a used 2011 Jetta TDI DSG. It has done about 75k, The owner has maintained it at the showroom all along. What are the things I'd have to look out for? And what are the parts that will need replacement in the near future?

Thanks and Regards
Sarfraz Khan
Sorry for the late reply. Here's what you need to look out for:

- Water pump leakage. This part is treated as a consumable to be honest. If the leak is caught on time, 7K worth of damage. If not, it will damage the timing kit and set you back 20K

- Flywheel. Not really a weak link on this DSG but some Passat owners have experienced problems. 75K for a replacement. Check for abnormal vibrations on startup or excessive clatter noise at idle or while lifting off

- Suspension. Check for abnormal drumming noises or knocks. Shocks are fairly robust but can set you back 8K a piece if they go bad. Also check for creaks from the suspension which might point to worn out link rods. Not really expensive at 6K a pair, but better to check and negotiate accordingly

- Check if all the electronics work although the pre-facelift Jetta was as basic as they came. Look out for ABS, ESP or Power steering warning lights on the dash which might point to a faulty ABS sensor (4K at best) or a faulty ABS module (very rarely happens and never heard of a Jetta suffering from this problem)

- Check if the Turbo is making any loud whistling noises which might point to excessive play in the turbo core. A new turbo core costs 20-30K but VW will royally rip you off by replacing the whole assembly (70-75K).

Thats about it. If i were you i would only worry about the water pump and ABS sensors. (Both of which are cheap to fix). The rest are just precautions to be fairly honest.

I have recieved a lot of queries on used Jettas, so a couple of tips for everyone out there in the same boat:

- Look for post October 2013 manufactured cars especially if you want a DSG. VW added dual zone climate control and xenons post that year, and needless to say they are worth it. The Comfortline on the other hand also recieved the climate control although most of the other features remained more or less the same. Do note that the Highline lost 2 airbags post this facelift though

- Low mileage cars are always preffered. If you can stretch your budget and get a car done under 50K km nothing like it. I have seen Jetta and Passat TDIs to 2.5L to 2.7L Km without a hitch, but the younger you buy them, the better
vishy76 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2019, 10:02   #3288
BHPian

Thanks vishy76,

The car is now at 75k kms. Water pump was replaced around 15k kms ago and the flywheel was replaced as well around 7k kms ago. VW guys told me there's an issue with the driveshafts (The boot got cut) and the front lower arms need replacement. Both together would set me back by around 70-80k if at VW. I think there's no issues with the ABS Sensors. I haven't noticed. Ill check once again. I'll observe the turbo noise as well. It seemed fine to me. The car has been maintained throughout it's life at VW only. This is a 2011 DSG.
Old 23rd March 2019, 13:27   #3289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks vishy76,

The car is now at 75k kms. Water pump was replaced around 15k kms ago and the flywheel was replaced as well around 7k kms ago. VW guys told me there's an issue with the driveshafts (The boot got cut) and the front lower arms need replacement. Both together would set me back by around 70-80k if at VW. I think there's no issues with the ABS Sensors. I haven't noticed. Ill check once again. I'll observe the turbo noise as well. It seemed fine to me. The car has been maintained throughout it's life at VW only. This is a 2011 DSG.
If the drive shaft is not completely exhausted of grease and isn't making any noises, you can get only the boot replaced by an FNG. That will be the best option for you.

As for the lower arms, get them replaced by VW. Cost won't difference won't be much compared to an FNG in this regard.

As I said, no issues with buying an older car, just that buying a younger one ensures you don't get bored or fed up of it and keep it longer.

What is the asking price BTW?
Old 23rd March 2019, 16:15   #3290
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post
Can anybody provide any inpur from where to procyre MIB2 HU fitted in 2016 Jetta at a reasonable price. Vagtune has it but quoting 82k. Retailers in US or Europe quoting similar price. Akiexpress has RCD 330 plus, but no Discover / Composition Media HU. Any input is welcome.
I would suggest you try to source it through the dealer directly. Recently, I believe VW is selling their HUs with Android Auto and CarPlay directly through dealers. They had the Polo HU for 45K. They may have the Jetta unit for purchase as well.

Though this may be expensive, you will get proper warranty etc. I would suggest you avoid sourcing from AliExpress or Vagtune, as you will not get any after sales support in case of any failures.

In case dealers are not selling, then you can check with OEM retailers from Europe with proper part number. These will be more expensive than the AliExpress ones, but they will be OEM parts and will be more reliable.
Old 23rd March 2019, 18:46   #3291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
If the drive shaft is not completely exhausted of grease and isn't making any noises, you can get only the boot replaced by an FNG. That will be the best option for you.

As for the lower arms, get them replaced by VW. Cost won't difference won't be much compared to an FNG in this regard.

As I said, no issues with buying an older car, just that buying a younger one ensures you don't get bored or fed up of it and keep it longer.

What is the asking price BTW?
Yeah, that is what i thought of as well. To replace just the boot at a FNG and get the lower arms replaced. I'll decide between VW or FNG depending on the price difference. Price is around 5lakhs.

I wanted to get the BT Module. I have no clue about what all parts would I need and from where I can source them. I've tried carsystems but they don't have the module. They have everything else. Could you help me in this regard? I want to know what all parts I'd need. Including any wiring harnesses. If possible, could you mention the part numbers as well?

Thanks for your assistance though!
Old 25th March 2019, 15:06   #3292
BHPian

Hi Forum,

Need some quick feedback.

I have recently moved to a part of Pune, from where its super hard to take my Jetta for servicing to the VW service center in Wakad.

My Jetta has been through 3 servicings, and this will be the 4th one. A friend has recently recommended a FNG for scheduled services, Velocity Motors in Pune. Is this worth it?

Would getting the Jetta serviced in the FNG affect my extended warranty in anyway?

What would the experienced members suggest?
Old 25th March 2019, 15:48   #3293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post

Would getting the Jetta serviced in the FNG affect my extended warranty in anyway?

What would the experienced members suggest?
Don't know about VW but Skoda will definitely void EW here in BLR.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 16:04   #3294
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Yes. Getting it serviced in an FNG during warranty or extended warranty will void the warranty. At least till the EW expires, get it serviced at right intervals at the authorized dealership. You can switch to FNG after the expiry of EW.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 16:09   #3295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Don't know about VW but Skoda will definitely void EW here in BLR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Yes. Getting it serviced in an FNG during warranty or extended warranty will void the warranty. At least till the EW expires, get it serviced at right intervals at the authorized dealership. You can switch to FNG after the expiry of EW.
Thanks guys, will stick to the VW workshop for this year, this is my 5th year, so should be free to choose a suitable FNG next year.
harryputtar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 20:41   #3296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, that is what i thought of as well. To replace just the boot at a FNG and get the lower arms replaced. I'll decide between VW or FNG depending on the price difference. Price is around 5lakhs.

I wanted to get the BT Module. I have no clue about what all parts would I need and from where I can source them. I've tried carsystems but they don't have the module. They have everything else. Could you help me in this regard? I want to know what all parts I'd need. Including any wiring harnesses. If possible, could you mention the part numbers as well?

Thanks for your assistance though!
Why don't you splurge more and get the RCD 330G plus? Its the best option for any VAG owner wanting an upgrade from any of the existing crop of HUs including the RCD 510, 300 plus and even the 310 in the Vento.

It has a large touchscreen, a very good UI (especially as compared to the 510) and better responsiveness. You can even get android auto and apple carplay depending on the version you choose.

It also looks OEM and integrates seamlessly with the dashboard unlike some of the Chinese HUs you get of Aliexpress. Park pilot support will also be available (like the current 510 in your car) but will require some VCDS coding.

Here's a snap of it. Note that the bluetooth module and mic are both integrated into the HU itself towards the left:
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-2r9wrdhld6yz.jpg

Pic source: Reddit

Another advantage for you is that you don't need to fiddle with the wiring since your car already comes with the Quadlock wiring harness. Do have a look at it on Aliexpress and VAGTune both and get back.

Fitting a BT module to the existing HU can be done and the module itself can be sourced but the 330G plus makes the 510 look obsolete, especially considering the pricing which is fairly VFM (Barely $30-40 worth of difference between the two) .

A bluetooth kit will set you back by about Rs. 2000 if you decide to go for it, but you will have to remove the existing HU, route connections for the mic and configure the module. Not worth the hassle IMHO.

Last edited by vishy76 : 25th March 2019 at 20:45.
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 05:24   #3297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Why don't you splurge more and get the RCD 330G plus?
I love the 330G plus. I got it on my Vento TSI. But would I get information on the MFD?

Also, what would be the total difference in cost in retrofitting a BT module and 330G plus?

Also, is there any other source for the 330G Plus except AliExpress?
I'm worried about customs if I order from AliExpress. If I have to pay, what would be the process?

Thanks for replying to each of my queries in detail.
Old 26th March 2019, 09:53   #3298
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm worried about customs if I order from AliExpress. If I have to pay, what would be the process?
If you get it shipped by couriers like DHL, BlueDart or FedEx, customs is a straightforward process. The courier company will ask you to submit some KYC forms (some companies ask you to email scan copies, some have you upload it in their site), they then clear the customs and let you know the amount and you can pay the amount at the time of delivery at your home.

The amount can vary from 0% to 50% and mostly depends on luck.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 11:12   #3299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
If you get it shipped by couriers like DHL, BlueDart or FedEx, customs is a straightforward process. The courier company will ask you to submit some KYC forms (some companies ask you to email scan copies, some have you upload it in their site), they then clear the customs and let you know the amount and you can pay the amount at the time of delivery at your home.

The amount can vary from 0% to 50% and mostly depends on luck.
There's a Delhi based seller who's selling it at 18k plus shipping. What do you think would be a better option? AliExpress without customs is around 12k for the player plus 3k for shipping. Customs would be extra based on luck.
Old 26th March 2019, 11:59   #3300
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There's a Delhi based seller who's selling it at 18k plus shipping. What do you think would be a better option? AliExpress without customs is around 12k for the player plus 3k for shipping. Customs would be extra based on luck.
Depends on the reputation of the Delhi based seller and if he provides any after sales warranty support.

Having said that, anything you get from AliExpress or other sources which is non-OEM, the products will definitely have some bugs or other issues and there will be no official support. I have used many products from AliExpress in my Polo GT Tsi and when it comes to HU, I have always had various issues in the HU, but due to no support from vendor had to live with the problems. So, do not expect OEM performance or support and be ready to either write off or live with problems in case you have any issues. Not trying to scare you, but just sharing my experience

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks