Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2019, 21:28   #3271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Why does the battery on the Jetta last so short? Within 1.5 years, maximum 2, the battery goes kaput.
Old 27th February 2019, 21:38   #3272
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Why does the battery on the Jetta last so short? Within 1.5 years, maximum 2, the battery goes kaput.
Mine lasted for around 3 years each time. Might depend on the kind of usage.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2019, 06:05   #3273
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are you seeing this problem with OEM or any other battery like Amaron or Exide?

The OEM battery that VW provides is known to have issues and usually fails within 1.5 years. I had two failures in my Jetta with the OEM battery, both lasted 1.5 years each. The first time they replaced under warranty and the second time it failed, I changed to Amaron.

If you are having problem with OEM battery, I would suggest you change to Amaron next time. Many Jetta (and Polo) owners have done this.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2019, 08:03   #3274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Are you seeing this problem with OEM or any other battery like Amaron or Exide?
The OEM too lasted just 1.5 years and was replaced free by the ASC which lasted 2 years (after charging at about 1.5 years). This was replaced by an Exide which lasted 1.75 years and is now replaced free by another Exide.

Dug up an old post of mine.

Quote:
Went to Amaron and they first said there is no problem with the battery but checked again and said there might be cell damage! They recommended to put 74Ah battery instead of 60Ah, but I called up VW service and they said don't put 74Ah but to stick with 60Ah! Went to Exide and they too output a report saying "Good Battery". So gave the current battery for charging overnight but am apprehensive how long it might last.
Even the Exide store now admits that the battery lasts 1.5 - 2 years only and that is the case with the new Swift diesels and most high end vehicles too! Why the battery lasts so short is because the amperage is low and there is not much space in the engine bay (height) to put higher ampere battery!!

This time it would have been an Amaron but for the free replacement by Exide.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2019, 10:43   #3275
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Even the Exide store now admits that the battery lasts 1.5 - 2 years only and that is the case with the new Swift diesels and most high end vehicles too! Why the battery lasts so short is because the amperage is low and there is not much space in the engine bay (height) to put higher ampere battery!!
When I had replaced the battery with Amaron, I think the Amaron battery was of a little higher capacity (exact Ah is not mentioned on the battery though), and also a little wider than the OEM battery such that the battery cover did not fit. But there was enough space in the battery compartment to seat the battery without any issues. Details in below post.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4170905 (Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!)

Anyway, as you got the Exide battery replaced under warranty, I think you don't have to worry for a couple more years.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 16:11   #3276
Senior - BHPian

Guys I might a buy Sep 2016 Jetta which has a new touch screen system (Not RCD510). It has App-Link icon but its not activated and asks for some key. The used car dealer said I have to buy some cable from VW for it to work which costs 15K. Anybody has any clue?
Old 10th March 2019, 15:51   #3277

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Guys I might a buy Sep 2016 Jetta which has a new touch screen system (Not RCD510). It has App-Link icon but its not activated and asks for some key. The used car dealer said I have to buy some cable from VW for it to work which costs 15K. Anybody has any clue?

Please look at this thread

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...it-mib-ii.html (VW owners: Now get Apple CarPlay / Android Auto on your head-unit (MIB II))

And also note-

you have to procure this part - USB Port, part number 5NA057342A.
This has to be installed by the service center, remove the current USB and replace it with the new one.

Then you have to use VCDS to go in to the VW software, you can take the help of the service centre here, there is an option where in you have to choose, - USB port function - there are 3 options, as I remember - iPhone only, Android only, iPhone & Android.

You have to enable iPhone only and save. Then this is going to work.

The guys at the service centre will not be willing to support on the software changes, you will have to coax them to do this.

All the best

The price is around 10K for the USB port.
prash26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 17:50   #3278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prash26 View Post
Please look at this thread

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...it-mib-ii.html (VW owners: Now get Apple CarPlay / Android Auto on your head-unit (MIB II))

And also note-

you have to procure this part - USB Port, part number 5NA057342A.
This has to be installed by the service center, remove the current USB and replace it with the new one.

Then you have to use VCDS to go in to the VW software, you can take the help of the service centre here, there is an option where in you have to choose, - USB port function - there are 3 options, as I remember - iPhone only, Android only, iPhone & Android.

You have to enable iPhone only and save. Then this is going to work.

The guys at the service centre will not be willing to support on the software changes, you will have to coax them to do this.

All the best

The price is around 10K for the USB port.
Do you have to buy USB part since I wont be using iPhone but an Android phone?
Old 13th March 2019, 12:23   #3279

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Do you have to buy USB part since I wont be using iPhone but an Android phone?
if you are using an android phone, you dont have to get this part
prash26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 15:07   #3280
BHPian

Quote:
Check if any after market fitment is draining you car battery.

If you have not done any after market fitment (which involves electrical component), then it could be an alternator issue.

VW should look in to this matter seriously because many Jetta owners are facing similar issue.
Old 14th March 2019, 08:30   #3281
BHPian

Quote:
My Exide Battery died in 2.5 years. However, called EXIDE Batmobile service, and they diagnosed that one cell of the battery was completely dry, No electrolyte !!!

This, after my car was serviced at VW Frontier Dealer service station in Gurgaon 15 days back. Means they did not even check the battery, though it is supposed to be maintenance free and all that.

Luckily battery was in warranty so Exide replaced it with a new one. But getting a replacement was a bit difficult as it is not a large selling model, and Exide dealers don’t part with easily for replacement. Though if you are buying new they have no issues. Something to do with less margin on replacement etc. So few dealers confirmed availability but refused to give as replacement.

Finally approached an old a reputed sardarji Exide dealer in Lajpat Nagar, from whom I have been buying for many years. He had batteries and no issues in giving replacement. Exide technician gave me a replacement letter, against which Sardarji gave me the battery and kept the old one. The model number was DIN 74 or something.
Old 14th March 2019, 17:08   #3282
BHPian

What a car! It feels like a sedan version of the Forester! Tank-like build, good quality interiors, great engine, superb ride and handling and the ability to destroy the highway The only thing which shocked me was the omission of automatic climate control (in the pre-facelift model). Even my ₹5 lakh 2007 Swift has it!! But otherwise, love the car! However, the Laura does feel more luxurious.
Old 17th March 2019, 20:54   #3283
BHPian

I'm currently looking at purchasing a used 2011 Jetta TDI DSG. It has done about 75k, The owner has maintained it at the showroom all along. What are the things I'd have to look out for? And what are the parts that will need replacement in the near future?

Thanks and Regards
Sarfraz Khan
Old 18th March 2019, 00:02   #3284
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, just got my Jetta remapped by Quantum Tuning. It was only an hour's worth of job and was done through the OBD port. A cakewalk if you ask me.

Remap potential can now also be added to the Jetta's already long list of positives considering most if not all tuners have cracked the OBD protocol for the 2.0 TDI.

The read and write process took only around 20-25 minutes max.

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-jetta.jpg

Initial impressions: Would i recommend it? Surely! Its worth every penny. More details will soon be up on my ownership report once the ECU adapts to my dads driving style.

Last edited by vishy76 : 18th March 2019 at 00:09.
vishy76 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 00:30   #3285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Guys, just got my Jetta remapped by Quantum Tuning. It was only an hour's worth of job and was done through the OBD port.
Finally, the Jetta is remapped man. I'm very happy for you. I know how hard it was to convince the family but at the end it was all worth it.

What's the hike in the power now? Petes offers a Stage-1 map which churns out approximately 177 hp. Your Jetta is more complete now and hope this stays for a few more years. All you require is a head unit upgrade. The existing one is old school man. After that upgrade, your Jetta would be complete.

Waiting for a report on the same as you munch miles.

Cheers!
Varun_HexaGuy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks