Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2007, 15:33   #31
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Hey GTO, Can you please share with us, where you got the button start done and how much did it cost you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
BUMP!! BUMP!!
I am thinking of getting a Push-button switch for my Esteem. Has anyone got this conversion done? How reliable is it?
Friends, this is the most trivial of electrical mods, if one wants to call it that. All we're doing is shunting part of one switch with another switch.

The simplest of key-switches has a terminal that receives power from the battery (usually a red wire).
Then it has terminals for ignition-on and starter-engage, and optionally one more terminal for accessories.

All the other terminals are either additional accessories, ganged with ignition-on or with accessories.

Now it is the simplest thing in the world to wire it as follows.
case1:

or as follows.
case2:

In case 1, you will have your own custom exclusive push button start button.

In case 2, you can have your an additional custom push button start button, in addition to the spring-loaded key start.

Just do it yourself. It will be as reliable as the push button switch you use and the quality of wire-terminations in your workmanship.

The old CJ-2A Jeeps (split-windshield), used to have a foot operated starter switch, like the foot operated dipper switch.

Ram
Old 24th November 2007, 15:40   #32
BHPian

Thanks Ram, as always your pictures + explanation leaves little/no questions in our minds. I'll try doing it myself.
Old 24th November 2007, 16:15   #33
BHPian

Ram, in the above cases won't we be able to crank the car (though it won't start) even if the ignition is turned off! Can't we bifurcate a wire to the starter button from the ignition terminal? That way the sarter wouldn't work unless the ignition is also functional. Just a thought!
Old 8th December 2007, 23:45   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Thanks Ram, as always your pictures + explanation leaves little/no questions in our minds. I'll try doing it myself.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Really helpful and kind of you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks