Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2007, 00:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

And how much NCB did you lose in the bargain or are you not aware of that ??
Old 28th March 2007, 10:37   #17
elf
BANNED

As yogi said, I too have heard about the potato solution for the windscreen during the rains. The starch from the potato prevents condensation from forming on the windscreen. Don't know about the scratches on the glass, though you should try it - you got nothing to loose.

And no, french fries won't do. With or without mayonnaise.
Old 28th March 2007, 11:21   #18
BHPian

use buffing done by an expert

try GLASS BUFFING to remove scratches from windshields by an expert, it should cost around 1000-1500 RS, in india you can get it done at "windshield expert" outlet.

Precautions to avoid scratching windlshield:

1.never use abrasive material to clean windshield, always use chmois letaher/soft cotton cloth/tissue paper.

2.avoid clean a dusted windshield by using hands or wipers, first use pressurised water from a pipe(normal tap pressure will do), so that dust & sand particles are washed away(dust is an abrasive).

3.after doing normal cleaning with mild cleaning agent, dry it with cotton cloth & finally with chamois leather or tissue.

Arun
Old 28th March 2007, 11:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I just called him up and he says there is a guy who comes to your place to treat the windscreen scratches and he charges something like 1-1.5K. Its like a whole process where he applies some powder and then keeps it for a while before brushing it off with an electric rotor brush. Its for serious scratches(not to be read as cracks) ill still check with some of my garage friends and get back to you to see what it is that they use. I got my merc windscreen done more than 2 years ago and its still fine.
Very nice..please let us know..even my windscreen has lots of scartches which make driving at night....impossible....this solution would be of great help.....
Old 28th March 2007, 17:30   #20
BHPian

eagle eye

@tsk

New wind shield for Zen will cost around 5.5k - 6k including fitting charges. That's what both the wind shield experts and Maruti guys told me. Actuall wind shield cost would be around 2-2.5k, the special sealant 2k, and the labour charges 1.5k.

So I went for this service.

@Zappo

I called the Surat phone number on the site and found out the phone number of the concerned guy in Hyd. Sorry, I lost that few days ago. Their outlet is near Karkhana, Secunderabad.
Old 29th March 2007, 01:01   #21
Team-BHP Support

Karkhana?!!! Skidrock buddy I live here in Karkhana. Where exactly is this place located? I may just pay them a visit to check things out myself since it is located somewhere near my house.
Old 29th March 2007, 08:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Guys, i just checked with the so called windshield experts for replacement of my esteem windshield. They quoted 6,300 bucks for the same. i thought forget it, i can live with a few scratches. what do you say ?
E_L if your car is more than 3-4 years old please o' please go ahead with windsheild replacement, you'll be amazed with the difference it will make.
Old 29th March 2007, 09:03   #23
BHPian

To buff scratches from glass you will need cerium oxide powder and a buffing machine.

The process is quite tedious, and takes a while--but in skilled hands the results can be superb.

You can ask any glass workshops (not glass dealers but people who make stained/figured glass) in your city where to get the cerium oxide powder.

See here for an explanation of the process:
Glass Scratches
giri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2007, 09:23   #24
elf
BANNED

The main point to consider is if cerium oxide is a mild abrasive or not.

If so, it would "thin" out automotive glass, wouldn't it? That might not be so good.
Old 30th March 2007, 09:32   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
The main point to consider is if cerium oxide is a mild abrasive or not.

If so, it would "thin" out automotive glass, wouldn't it? That might not be so good.
Yes ELF you are right, buffing essentially is a material removal process, but glass is quite a hard material & scratches depth are in microns, so practically buffing that small thickness doesnt causes a reason to worry on account of strength.

Thinning of material would be negligible, not affecting strength practically.
Old 30th March 2007, 09:42   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33 View Post
E_L if your car is more than 3-4 years old please o' please go ahead with windsheild replacement, you'll be amazed with the difference it will make.
Its 8 years old & i dont plan on keeping it for long.
Old 30th March 2007, 11:12   #27
BHPian

has anyone tried this one????

the procedure is described here

http://www.gtglass.com/documents/Scr...lMarch_000.pdf
Old 30th March 2007, 14:54   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Karkhana?!!! Skidrock buddy I live here in Karkhana. Where exactly is this place located? I may just pay them a visit to check things out myself since it is located somewhere near my house.
Sorry Zappo, I don't know the place exactly. I sent my brother to get it done.
They are not on the main road. So you can't find them that easily I guess.

While going towards Karkhana from Sec'bad main road (Via JBS), we come to a junction. There is a petrol pump on the right corner and this place is diagonally opposite to that pertrol pump.
Old 31st March 2007, 15:20   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Guys, i just checked with the so called windshield experts for replacement of my esteem windshield. They quoted 6,300 bucks for the same. i thought forget it, i can live with a few scratches. what do you say ?

As long as they do not disturb your night driving vision with splattered light from an oncoming vehicle.........as a badly scratched windscreen can lead to major problems from lights from the oncoming traffic (especially people who love their HIGH BEAMS) even for city driving...... 6300 may not be so bad compared to what damage a collision may cause....your call ! Just expressed my opinion

Cheers
Old 2nd April 2007, 09:49   #30
BHPian

I went and had a chat with the Windshield Experts outlet at Madivala in Bangalore. That guy was dissuading me from getting the buffing done. He mentioned that scratch removal was temporary and that the scratches would reappear in about a month's time (even if parked in the sun)

He then also told me that the shine on the windshield would reduce and I would find night driving difficult because of the glare. He was more insistent on getting the windshield replaced. I got a feeling that even if I got the buffing done there, they would make a mess of it to force me to replace the windshield and hence refrained from doing so!

Is there any place in Bangalore where I can get this done?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks