Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2020, 15:29   #1
BHPian

Buying Varta AGM Batteries for German luxury cars (Mercedes, BMW, Audi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I was told that by an FNG battery shop that there isn't any technical "reprogramming" needed on battery change. But the trick is that the car apparently cannot be left without a battery at any point of time during the battery change.
The FNG battery shop doesn't know what he's talking about. Even if you swap your old battery with the OEM Varta battery, you still need to program a reset of the charging function to let the car know it has a new battery or it will assume you still have an old battery and send a higher charging current which will drastically reduce battery life. Many videos on YouTube on how to do this. Bimmerlink also has this function.

The OEM 95AH Varta battery costs INR 23K from the official distributor, Swastikfabs.

I've never heard about not disconnecting the battery while swapping to a new one. I've disconnected my Varta battery many times while tinkering with the car and have had no problems on reconnecting it.
Moontan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 11:44   #2
BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Hi, I have changed my battery from Swastik Fabs, go for an AGM Varta battery. You will have to find someone with BMW software which can tell the system that there is a new battery installed.

Quote:
I was told that by an FNG battery shop that there isn't any technical "reprogramming" needed on battery change. But the trick is that the car apparently cannot be left without a battery at any point of time during the battery change. So he said that they will first connect it to an alternate battery to ensure it keeps getting its power and then swap the actual battery with the new battery. Cost quoted was approx. 15k which is almost a 60% discount over the OEM battery price.

Also I agree that BMW official battery is just phenomenal. Mine has lasted me during last 6.5 years and still going strong. This unexpected lockdown has taken its toll on the battery even though I ensured to start the car once a week but these days it takes a moment longer to start and I can tell that the battery is starting to show its age. If not for the lockdown, it may have lasted me for anther 1-2 years. While we are on the topic of battery, does BSI cover battery replacement?
vyasachetan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 16:54   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontan View Post
The OEM 95AH Varta battery costs INR 23K from the official distributor, Swastikfabs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyasachetan View Post
Hi, I have changed my battery from Swastik Fabs, go for an AGM Varta battery.
Guys, please share the contact details. Is it this same company - https://www.swastikfabs.in/? Any particular person or phone number? Thank you!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 17:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Is it this same company - https://www.swastikfabs.in/?
This is the official distributor for Varta in India. I don't have a number or contact person, but from all I've heard, they are very good to deal with.

German_clan bought his Varta OEM from them directly for his 5 series, so he may have more information.
Moontan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 14:30   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Buying Varta AGM Batteries for German luxury cars (Mercedes, BMW, Audi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyasachetan View Post
Hi, I have changed my battery from Swastik Fabs, go for an AGM Varta battery.
Thanks for sharing, guys! Am "copying" your posts to a new thread as I doubt too many luxury car owners are aware of such a good source for OEM AGM batteries at a cheaper-than-dealer cost.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 15:17   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks for sharing, guys! Am "copying" your posts to a new thread as I doubt too many luxury car owners are aware of such a good source for OEM AGM batteries at a cheaper-than-dealer cost.
BHPian SwastikViji is the owner of the place. They are active on Facebook, i`m attaching a few screen grabs.

Buying Varta AGM Batteries for German luxury cars (Mercedes, BMW, Audi)-swastik.jpg

Buying Varta AGM Batteries for German luxury cars (Mercedes, BMW, Audi)-address-swasti.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 21st August 2020 at 19:00. Reason: No PM :)
Kosfactor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 16:00   #7
Team-BHP Support

Yes this is Viji's firm, they are the official distributors so warranty and peace of mind. You can whatsapp him and he will respond back.

Edit: I had a word with Viji and apparently stock is sold out for cars thanks to unlock down, and new order arrival from germany is Oct 1st week due to Covid impact on logistics.

Bike batteries are available though.

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st August 2020 at 16:46.
Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 15:09   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

My S-class, RS5 and CLA are all running low on juice. The MB workshop guy recommended Varta so I called up Swastik Fabs right now however he is out of stock until the month end.

My knowledge on these batteries is very limited. What is the disadvantage of putting Exide,Amaron or any other easily available brand over Varta?
Old 16th December 2020, 18:37   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Edit: I had a word with Viji and apparently stock is sold out for cars thanks to unlock down, and new order arrival from germany is Oct 1st week due to Covid impact on logistics.

Bike batteries are available though.
Good news, came to know stock is back for Varta car batteries after Covid break. Good time to get in touch with Swastikfabs if you are due for replacement.

https://www.swastikfabs.com/index.ph...facturer_id=41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
My knowledge on these batteries is very limited. What is the disadvantage of putting Exide,Amaron or any other easily available brand over Varta?
To begin with the batteries need to be programmed into the ECU, if not they will not perform right. Also I believed longevity is an issue and some niggling issue even in Skoda. I remember fellow mod Manson facing issues within 1 year of exide use and finally going back to OE.

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th December 2020 at 18:40.
Old 26th December 2020, 11:21   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

To begin with the batteries need to be programmed into the ECU, if not they will not perform right. Also I believed longevity is an issue and some niggling issue even in Skoda. I remember fellow mod Manson facing issues within 1 year of exide use and finally going back to OE.
My 320d is up for a battery replacement. If I source the battery from them, who will perform this ECU programming? Do they offer to do this? Or will BMW dealer do this if I get the battery from outside?

Also any idea what is the specification for F30 battery?
Old 26th December 2020, 14:15   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My 320d is up for a battery replacement.
Also any idea what is the specification for F30 battery?
If you get the same battery would the car need programming? I am not sure about how it goes. Check your owners manual for battery spec and replacement?
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 15:17   #12
BHPian

Quote:
My 320d is up for a battery replacement. If I source the battery from them, who will perform this ECU programming? Do they offer to do this? Or will BMW dealer do this if I get the battery from outside?
Yes, you'll still need programming even if you replace with the same spec as original. This is to control the charging behavior to suit a new battery. How much did the dealer quote? It may be worth getting a quote from them since they have the wonderful discount for old cars, and yours being 7 years old you'll get a very good deal.
d3mon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 16:37   #13
BHPian

Folks,

Anyone know the number of a Varta dealer in Mumbai? (South or central mumbai, if possible).
Ive checked the Varta website and the number for the Mumbai dealer is out of service.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying Varta AGM Batteries for German luxury cars (Mercedes, BMW, Audi)-varta.png  

ghostrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 20:12   #14
BHPian

https://www.swastikfabs.com/index.ph...product_id=755

My F30 battery died today after 7 years of service. I spoke to Swastik Fab and they are offering a Varta Silver dynamics 105 for 27k. My service advisor suggested Exide FMT0-MTREDDIN100 which is available for 15k with exchange. What do think should be the choice?
Old 19th November 2021, 20:26   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Identical battery replacement: Car should be updated to register the new battery.

Any other battery: Car needs reprogramming with the new battery configuration.

BMW comes with a fancy battery mangement system. Not doing the above recommended procedure can be risky!
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks