Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you experience discomfort in a low slung car?
Yes 110 49.11%
No 114 50.89%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2020, 11:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Back pain & joint pain: Is a low slung car responsible?

Like many others here, I too feel that sedan or SUV isn't the factor.

The seating comfort shall depend upon the following:
1. Position of the seat w.r.t. driving controls.
2. Seat geometry and cushion.
3. Thigh support & lumbar support in the seat.
4. Build and vulnerability of the individual.

As GTO said, one can try changing the seat or stuffing it at proper places. You can also get a good 'Lumbar support pillow' in the market.

I never experienced problems in M800, which was low slung. My current car SX4 isn't low slung though it is a sedan.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 6th September 2020 at 11:53.
Old 6th September 2020, 13:08   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
a low slung car will definitely *expose* the weaknesses in your back more than a taller car.
You make a good point, but I'd like to think my fitness is, while not A+, but is definitely A/B+. I have a decent built, I play sports and have a very active lifestyle with little sitting (well, except the last few months, but I also haven't driven much these few months).

I also drove A LOT during a short span of time, meaning a lot more clutch use than an average driver - that could be important. A large part of driving was indeed inside city.

Quote:
- First finding out the exact medical problem & solving it.
That's what I'm trying to do. A doctor suggested further diagnosis for osteoarthritis but it came out negative. As I've said, my health otherwise is pretty good.

Quote:
- Trying to fix your Baleno's seat in the after-market
While swapping the seat isn't something I've thought of, I have tried aftermarket accessories for altering the sitting position, lumbar support etc. Ironically, the latter seemed to make my problem a little worse somehow.

Quote:
- If all else fails, do a lateral upgrade (ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)) to a taller car so whatever you lose in your Baleno's depreciation, you make up via a lateral upgrade.
Lucky for me, Baleno prices have risen considerably since I bought it. I've kept it in A+ condition, with proper service record, dirven sedately with occasional italian tune up, I've babied it in every aspect - including never driving on a cold engine. The depreciation hit is not big, and as far as cost per km of depreciation is concerned, it's actually lower than a cab would've cost me. Even cheaper than Ritz's 10 years of ownership.

The two options i'm considering are Tiago AMT, or if I can stretch a little, then Jazz CVT. Yes, I know they're not exactly "upright" but they're better than Baleno. I also have a theory that it's a combination of MT + Low slung that's affecting me. A lot of those who seem to have voted "no" also drive low slung automatics. Maybe it's a combination of both that's more detrimental? An upright/C-SUV automatic isn't in my budget. Ignis is out of the consideration due to safety concerns.

My primary concern is, I don't want to buy a C-SUV manual and then discover I still experience the problem. I want to isolate the problem as either being low slung or MT or perhaps a combination of both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
I never experienced problems in M800, which was low slung. My current car SX4 isn't low slung though it is a sedan.
I have driven a friend's SX4, I did not experience any trouble driving that. I have a reasonable build and I've tried almost every seating setup possible in Baleno to find something "appropriate" where I experience no discomfort, but I've been unsuccessful.

Last edited by RoadMonkey : 6th September 2020 at 13:10.
RoadMonkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 15:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

You can try this lumber support:
https://www.wish.com/product/5d35328...true&share=web

You may or may not need the neck support but the lumber support is useful even when one does not experience any pain. This can even be used on the office chair.
Attached Thumbnails
Back pain & joint pain: Is a low slung car responsible?-5d353283813ed16d83142f1dlarge.jpg  

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 6th September 2020 at 15:07.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 16:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
You can try this lumber support:

You may or may not need the neck support but the lumber support is useful even when one does not experience any pain. This can even be used on the office chair.
For short people, this might work but not for tall guys who seem to suffer from lack of leg room and proper ergonomics. This further reduces the already low thigh support. I am 5'10" and can't even fit in the seat properly when using any extra cushion or support.
Jaguar is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 16:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Don't blame the car (as it doesn't protest) before blaming yourself. It mostly boils down to lifestyle. Try to get a proper medical opinion before you jump to conclusions of selling the car and getting yourself an SUV. Indians aren't exactly "lean and mean" these days. This can be seen from the pics of the calories (food) that come out as pictures in TBHP travelogues which though may be tasty are absolutely unhealthy to say the least: an overdose of sugar, salt and fat, the very things that we don't require when we drive long distances.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 6th September 2020 at 17:06.
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 17:11   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I used to prefer a low slung car previously for better stance, looks and handling. But as I got older I prefer higher ones due to:

a) Easier ingress and egress
b) Ride comfort
c) Road visibility
d) Able to take road undulations and speedbreakers with ease

Does it affect my back? Yes, I get lower back pain far sooner in low slung cars. But the ergonomics of the drivers or passenger seat will determine exactly how much pain it will cause over long journeys. My car's driver seat has lumbar support adjustment options and that is a blessing!!
Old 6th September 2020, 17:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Don't blame the car (as it doesn't protest) before blaming yourself. It mostly boils down to lifestyle. Try to get a proper medical opinion before you jump to conclusions of selling the car and getting yourself an SUV. Indians aren't exactly "lean and mean" these days. This can be seen from the pics of the calories (food) that come out as pictures in TBHP travelogues which though may be tasty are absolutely unhealthy to say the least: an overdose of sugar, salt and fat, the very things that we don't require when we drive long distances.
This is becoming repetitive. I don't mean to be rude, I apologise if that's the case, but a cursory reading of the thread would address everything. I have gone in detail of the problem.

1) I have an active lifestyle. I play sports, I used to walk around ~10km every day before the lockdown hit. The parking from my place of work is a bit far and walking is a daily thing. So was it during student life.

2) I've tried every possible thing wrt car, it hasn't helped, that's why I posted. I have also detailed that - and as many others in this thread have said, including in the poll, this seems to be a common problem.

3) I follow a very, very strict diet. For someone in his 20s, not eating any of the junk food like pizza etc is unheard of. Not only just good old indian diet, I follow scientifically recommended balanced diet. My health is pretty decent.

As for tavelogues, a lot of people who might follow very good dietary practices at home do like to enjoy the food when travelling. Some may specifically visit places so that they can try the famous local food. It should be forgiven.

With all due respect sir, this discussion is more than just about "should I sell my car and get an SUV???"

Edit: I have also mentioned that I've actually consulted multiple doctors regarding this. 3 Orthopedic surgeons and our family doctor. 3 of them told me to stop driving altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
But the ergonomics of the drivers or passenger seat will determine exactly how much pain it will cause over long journeys. My car's driver seat has lumbar support adjustment options and that is a blessing!!

I too share your experience in low slung cars being better to drive. But there's only so much you can do about the ergonomics in a car of certain shape and size. If you have long legs, getting the ideal "your hip should not be below your knee height" is hard.

Last edited by RoadMonkey : 6th September 2020 at 17:22. Reason: Multiple posts.
RoadMonkey is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 09:18   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Have a look at the video, backed by research on the optimal driving position.
As ideal as this position looks. I’ve found very few cars below 20 lacs offering enough adjustment in the seat and steering wheel for me to achieve this position. I’m 6 ft tall and in most cars the steering wheel either doesn’t have reach adjustment or doesn’t come out enough.
Old 8th September 2020, 09:32   #24
BHPian

I am driving Honda City from 2015 for almost 2 hours everyday and haven't faced any back pain issue.
I have also done nearly 800 km in a day several times(of course with small breaks) but haven't faced any back pain issues.
I am 5 feet 11 inches in height and I keep my seat as back as possible so my legs are almost in flat relaxed position.

I think all pain issues boil down to following factors:
1. Wrong seat setting
2. bad seat/cushioning
3. lack of daily exercise
4. pre-existing medical condition

I also do following exercise at least 2 times a week and this helps to strengthen lower back.
Try doing this exercise for 2x20 repetitions and it will definitely help you.

Last edited by pravint : 8th September 2020 at 09:38. Reason: adding more info
Old 8th September 2020, 09:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

I think low slung cars will amplify the issue if you already have it, especially things like weak thighs and calves. When these parts are weak, the body derives strength required for the movement from other parts of the body, which will be the lower back or lower abs. Thats when things go wrong.

Under thigh support plays a major role in this for me atleast. The early maruti cars were horrible for seating comfort. Try driving a D class sedan and you will not feel so much trouble. They will be as good for comfort as a SUV, in fact higher in my view, due to low body roll related body stress.
Old 8th September 2020, 11:03   #26
BHPian

folks, even those of us who look, feel or believe that they are active and fit, we Indians neglect working on our legs and lower back. Bent rows, barbell rows, deadlifts and sqats must be performed atleast twice a week to strengthen the legs and lower back.

Also remember, in a low slung car, its imperative that the spine must be as close to erect as possible. Just because the car seat is low, one shouldn't recline the seat back to feel that racy driving position. Ideally keep the seat back as erect as possible, use appropriate lumbar support and watch your back problems vanish.

Lastly, don't place your left feet on the clutch, the moment you stop using the clutch, place your feet flat on the floor or on the deadpedal (if your car has one). The arched feet position when using a clutch on a low slung vehicle will cause uncessary pain.
Old 8th September 2020, 11:29   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post

I want to ask fellow BHPians if they've observed/experienced something similar or maybe the problem is really with excessive seating and I'm analysing it incorrectly? I have been contemplating getting an automatic to ease my discomfort, but maybe that's not necessary. Especially given the other thread. I should mention that I'm in mid-20s and it's definitely not age related. I've also tried multiple driving seat adjustments/setups, I usually set it to what's recommended as the ideal setup.
YES.
I used to get that lower back pain when I started driving my A Star initially. Later I stumbled upon one of the threads in team bhp where someone suggested to use a small pillow. I have been following that and it has solved the issue.
But at times whenever I take the pillow out and drive the car, the pain does come back.

But I must say that driving other cars like Zen Estilo, Scorpio etc. never gave me such issues.
Stranger2106 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 12:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

It has very little to do with a low or high slung car but more to do with the ergonomics/ shape of the drivers seat. If the seat does not allow for lordosis (natural curve of the spine) being maintained, there will be issues in the long run. That is exactly why a small pillow in the small of the back provides immediate relief in many cases. I have had back pain issues for quite some time, and find my daily driver (Honda City) to be quite comfortable for long drives inspite of relatively lower seating, because the drivers seat is well contoured and provides good lumbar support.

Of course, it is essential to stop at intervals and stretch ones legs and back when doing long periods in the driver seat. Also, some basic back strengthening yoga exercises (e.g. cobra pose, cat cow stretch, child pose, etc. among others) are very useful for general lower back conditioning. By the way, the greatest enemy of a healthy back are long hours in improper seating positions in front of the laptop or otherwise at a desk. Goes a long way towards weakening your back and resulting in back pain.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 8th September 2020 at 12:07.
Old 8th September 2020, 12:52   #29
BHPian

Lower back pain is simply because of incorrect posture.
The spine is just a stem to the body and not an area where pressure can be exerted.

God has cushioned our butts to use as a good seat. While sitting the slightest pressure is transferred to the lower back first which is under tremendous strain especially while driving because you are operating the clutch too.

Don't lean, take help of a small semi hard cushion to help you sit upright.
Walk for an hour a day is sufficient for a healthy back.

Even the trees use roots for support and not the bark or stem. Similarly apply it to yourselves.
Old 8th September 2020, 13:33   #30
BANNED

Dear RoadMonkey,

What you are suffering is Coccydynia. Nothing to be alarmed of, it’s due to your sitting posture and the poor seats in Baleno. Here are my solutions.
1) Make sure you are having a good mattress, nothing will help more. I had many issues like low back ache, Sciatica, Coccydynia. I bought a Kurl-on Faom bed plus. Most issues vanished. Try similar mattress after due research.
2) Get a lumbar and seat support. I use both for reading, very good as per my experience.

https://www.amazon.in/FOVERA-ऑ...s%2C284&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.in/FOVERA-Orthope...s%2C286&sr=8-3

Buy according to your weight. It’s not costly, try that before spending a million on cars.

3) Start abdominal and back exercises. This will help in strengthening your muscles, something like given in the link. It’s for abs, but very effective.There are exercises for Coccydynia, but as I haven't done can't say anything about it. All other things I can vouch for.

Regards,
The Rationalist.

Last edited by The Rationalist : 8th September 2020 at 13:38.
The Rationalist is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks