Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2022, 09:05   #91
BHPian

Re: BS6 Diesel Car owners - Your experience with DPF / SCR / AdBlue here

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Can you elaborate on this ? Which car had DPF issues ? Was it a manual or automatic car ? I hope it is not the compass. That 2.0 Fiat is one engine that does not have much documented evidence of DPF issues in the forum. I hope it was not the Compass and some other car.
I have Hector Diesel which has Fiat 2.0 engine. I have driven it 21K KM’s in last 13 months which includes 5K city driving and 1000 Km in Himalayas. Rest are long highway drives to South Kanyakumari, West Somnath / Dwarka among few.

I have not received single DPF warning till date. Also have not observed much issues reported for Fiat 2.0 w.r.t. DPF be it Compass, Hector or Harrier / Safari duo.

Hopefully it will remain so.
FiatDiesel is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 09:21   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
It was not the Compass. It was the diesel manual Thar that belongs to Slipstream. Both manual and automatic Thars are plagued with DPF issues.
My Diesel Manual thar has been to each corner of Zanskar and nearby areas and didn't face a single issue. Although I was apprehensive during Zanskar trip especially because user manual says DEF freeze point as -11 degree celsius whereas temperature at night had gone down to -13 degree celsius. Current Odo is above 25,000 kms without any DPF issues. Same is with at least half a dozen Thars (Auto/Manual) owned by friends.
If you are periodically reving the engine for a few kms in hills, you are good. And this holds true to all diesel BS6 vehicles.
Point is BS6 is government norm which all manufacturers have to abide by. This additional norm bring additional challenges to manufactuerers as well as owners. Neither can we change the norm nor can we change the road/traffic conditions in India.
We better learn few tricks to avoid these issues.
PS: We have 3 BS6 diesels (Thar, New Safari & Harrier) and my experience is based on above vehicles.

Last edited by Shubhendra : 4th August 2022 at 09:26.
Shubhendra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 09:38   #93
Senior - BHPian

I have been driving a Creta Diesel BS6 (AT) for over 16000km so far in all sorts of traffic, from very good to absolute pathetic Puneri traffic. I havent encountered any such issues yet. It could be a batch of engines or something to do with fuel. I have been very consistent in using fuel from only one station 99% of the time.
fhdowntheline is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 09:50   #94
Senior - BHPian

Oh God! BS6 is indeed the first and prominent step towards discouraging (killing) Diesel engines in the non-commercial vehicles for sure! It’s safe to assume, Diesels will be a rare-breed very soon - mostly before I upgrade in next 3-5 years :(

The only company which might be giving a smirk is for sure Maruti-Suzuki. They didn’t even give it a try, most likely due to the complexities BS6 brought with it. They withdrew completely even before taking it up. They are certainly focused on less-complex vehicles - both in terms of tech features, engine-gearbox combos etc!

What I’m surprised is, why aren’t customers making it sound big? Quality issues are highlighted almost instantly on any forum available. But, not the engine issues faced because of BS6?
gururajrv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 09:59   #95
BHPian

My Ford Endeavour BS6 has been trouble free without any DPF issues/warnings till date.

Clocked 22k in 18 months and had been to hills quite a few time ( max 13k feet).

My driving is 70-80% city.

Not to mention, my driving pattern is little hard on the pedal though.
ankushbansal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 10:10   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretaKumar View Post
3. Mileage- So for the first 15kms every alternate day my car has to do an active regen which decreases the mileage of car to 11kmpl for first 15kms after that mileage becomes normal.

I have a BS6 I20 Diesel and observe similar mileage pattern i.e. lower mileage for first ~15 KMs and then it improves. I assumed Diesel engines perform better after reaching the optimal engine temperature and this is the normal behaviour but now looks like it could be because of the DPF regen.
Also how do you find out if active regen is happening? Is there an indicator in Creta?
delusional_fool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 10:17   #97
BHPian

Quote:

1. Blowby - Just after 7000kms, I noticed considerable blowby from dipstick and reported it to ASC. First they were shocked but later they took my case to ASM and he told me that its common in BS6 engines. He himself has a hyundai diesel BS6 and that car also had same issue. At first, I was not convinced but then he showed me 10+ cars with same issue. We sat in ASC for whole day just to observe cars and at the end of the day I was convinced that there is nothing wrong with my car in particular.
OLX, Car 24 and all such players are very specific about blowby in engine and if they find it then engine is marked as faulty and resale value goes down.

Now I am curious, if any group member has sold his/her Diesel Hyundai or Kia and used car market players have marked engine as faulty.
steadfast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 11:06   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
My Diesel Manual thar has been to each corner of Zanskar and nearby areas and didn't face a single issue. Although I was apprehensive during Zanskar trip especially because user manual says DEF freeze point as -11 degree celsius whereas temperature at night had gone down to -13 degree celsius. Current Odo is above 25,000 kms without any DPF issues. Same is with at least half a dozen Thars (Auto/Manual) owned by friends.
I was under the impression that cars with DEF don't require DPF.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th August 2022 at 16:32. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
superbad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 11:31   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

These issues are pretty common with all BS6 diesels.

My Altroz diesel has been driven 25000 km so far and has had none of these issues. I guess driving BS6 diesels in city limits / low RPM highway cruising can start clogging DPF and cause other issues too.

My usage is 70 : 30, fast highway driving : moderate to slow urban usage. People with more urban usage are bound to experience more issues, as far as what I have seen so far with BS6 diesels.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 4th August 2022 at 11:32.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 11:31   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
OLX, Car 24 and all such players are very specific about blowby in engine and if they find it then engine is marked as faulty and resale value goes down.

Now I am curious, if any group member has sold his/her Diesel Hyundai or Kia and used car market players have marked engine as faulty.

Its not just my car. I know 5 people who witnessed this in 100km old car. And I have reserved a special place in hell for ruining their merry mood for my confirmation. But truth pisses off first and then set us free.
CretaKumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 11:39   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Its not just my car. I know 5 people who witnessed this in 100km old car. And I have reserved a special place in hell for ruining their merry mood for my confirmation. But truth pisses off first and then set us free.
But my question is what happens when someone will go to sell such a car. Is the engine marked faulty by OLx and Car 24 ?
Old 4th August 2022, 11:44   #102
BANNED

I would like to know whether any one on the forum has experienced DPF issues with Kia Sonet Diesel AT or cars with similar Disel AT combo from Hyundai/Kia.
If anyone has had these issues, kindly elaborate on them. I am seriously considering the Kia Sonet Diesel AT and am due delivery of the same within a month.

Thanks!
Old 4th August 2022, 11:47   #103
BHPian

Quote:

2. Oil Dilution - Hyundai Kia BS6 dipsticks designed has changed from conventional E and F marks. Now it has an extra mark (double arrow) on top of F. 4.8 litre oil is filled till F in car and oil level is monitored if in case it INCREASE (YES You read it right). This is not there on Creta manual that comes with car, but its there on Internet Manual. Thats why there is very less awareness about monitoring the level.
Welcome aboard and very nice post to begin with.

This problem looks scary to me. Because diluted oil won't lubricate engine properly. It will change oil properties also. How oil gets diluted? AFAIK it can happen only if coolant gets mixed with the oil due to faulty gasket.

Last edited by IP_Man : 4th August 2022 at 11:48. Reason: Typo
Old 4th August 2022, 12:02   #104
BHPian

Quote:

3. Mileage- So for the first 15kms every alternate day my car has to do an active regen which decreases the mileage of car to 11kmpl for first 15kms after that mileage becomes normal. Creta DPF can hold 14gm soot before it enters regen and DOC is fed with Diesel to raise temperature of DPF in order to clean it.

My effective mileage in city is never more that 13kmpl with AC ON. I live in a city which doesnt have bumper to bumper traffic. On highway I have got t2t 23kmpl maximum.
At first I thought that its an issue with DPF that active regen happens so frequent but after reading more about it I got to know it COULD be normal( however I still feel that it could be due to faulty injector)

Active regen is different from forced regen that happens in ASC.
I have a Compass Diesel MT 2021, and I also face this mileage drop - but it's not every alternate day, rather every 150-200kms (which is like once a week). The drop remains for about 5-6kms and then its back to normal. My drive is a mix of highway & city (40:60).

Are there any other Compass Diesel MT users who face this?
Old 4th August 2022, 12:04   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
Welcome aboard and very nice post to begin with.

This problem looks scary to me. Because diluted oil won't lubricate engine properly. It will change oil properties also. How oil gets diluted? AFAIK it can happen only if coolant gets mixed with the oil due to faulty gasket.

Its definitely not coolant or water. The colour of the lub doesn't change.
Service advisor told me that its in every car and I myself has checked it. I am very sure even a new pump is not going to help. Its the technology of Hyundai/kia thats designed this way. When Diesel will start mixing with oil it will reduce the boiling temperature of lubricant and as Engine will become hot more and more oil will evaporate and hence oil DILUTION will not appear that scary. Hyundai is smart.
But the thing that bugs me is that why no-one has reported this yet to forum? Is it because most people here own ford or a German car?
This forum should have more participation from Hyundai/Kia owners.
CretaKumar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks