Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2022, 22:35   #121
BHPian

Re: BS6 Diesel Car owners - Your experience with DPF / SCR / AdBlue here

Expecting to drive a vehicle in a certain appears to be asking for too much. More so in India , where it is free for all. Maybe, they should setup a survey in the pre-sales to determine whether the car is suitable for your use case, and deny cars who users who dont score appropriately on the survey.
Old 4th August 2022, 23:28   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretaKumar View Post
Same thing that service center people say. Are you Hyundai service center guy who drives a tata?
I must admit that you certainly have a stellar sense of humour. Thanks for lightening the mood amidst this dpf induced panic. Much appreciated. Regards.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th August 2022 at 17:52. Reason: Quoted text edited
Phantom 510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 10:43   #123
BHPian

We have a Kia Carnival and a Mahindra Thar Diesel AT in our extended family no one has DPF issues except high consumption of DEF. Both of them keep a spare can of DEF in the boot. Both the cars see a lot of highway usage in addition to city drives as they are used by business people.
hondatoyotafan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 14:47   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Oh God! BS6 is indeed the first and prominent step towards discouraging (killing) Diesel engines in the non-commercial vehicles for sure! It’s safe to assume, Diesels will be a rare-breed very soon - mostly before I upgrade in next 3-5 years :(

The only company which might be giving a smirk is for sure Maruti-Suzuki. They didn’t even give it a try, most likely due to the complexities BS6 brought with it. They withdrew completely even before taking it up. They are certainly focused on less-complex vehicles - both in terms of tech features, engine-gearbox combos etc!

What I’m surprised is, why aren’t customers making it sound big? Quality issues are highlighted almost instantly on any forum available. But, not the engine issues faced because of BS6?
I was very much interested to buy an Ecosport
Diesel BS6 after my old workhorse i10 Kappa 2 Sportz. As found in the tbhp and other forums it had serious DPF issues which I thought Ford would resolve although rumour was rife that Ford would shut shop in India. The salespersons were confident that Ford would not leave India. But Ford left India and so is the Ecosport from my list. I also found that Maruti had only petrol engine vehicles. I got the idea that it's because of the diesel BS6 issues. So I exchanged my i10 with a Baleno 2022 Alpha and saved myself from the anxieties faced by the BS6 diesel car owners. I am also pleasantly surprised by the diesel like average/mileage offered by the Baleno but minus that sea of torque/thrust.
Old 17th August 2022, 14:02   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusional_fool View Post
I have a BS6 I20 Diesel and observe similar mileage pattern i.e. lower mileage for first ~15 KMs and then it improves. I assumed Diesel engines perform better after reaching the optimal engine temperature and this is the normal behaviour but now looks like it could be because of the DPF regen.
Also how do you find out if active regen is happening? Is there an indicator in Creta?
I have a I20 BS6 too and have been facing this problem a lot. and this does not come for the first 15 kms. I have been getting an excellent mileage of around 30kmpl+ with ac on - 70% is highway run every day.

But what I have experienced is sometimes, the mileage drop is every alternate run, sometimes the drop is after covering a certain distance. Also I have had a long run of 350 kms as well, and the behaviour of the car is that the mileage drop occurs after every certain km.

What this does to me is that my overall mileage is that it during that drop period, it is around 15-16kmpl. And let me remind you, I am extremely light on my acceleration and brake pedals.

Also, when there is a drop in mileage, I get the feeling of the problem without looking at the MID, as I can feel a different grunt from my engine and the engine gives a very bleak jerk.

I am not able to understand how to explain all of this to a hyundai technician. Please help if anyone has this experience with their car.

Thanks in advance
mysticmudit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 21:05   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmudit View Post

I am not able to understand how to explain all of this to a hyundai technician. Please help if anyone has this experience with their car.

Thanks in advance
Are you still facing this issue or have you found any resolution this. I have booked I20 diesel and wondering if this is observed in your vehicle only or in any other bs6 diesel vehicles.
Old 5th September 2022, 12:55   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvatron View Post
Are you still facing this issue or have you found any resolution this. I have booked I20 diesel and wondering if this is observed in your vehicle only or in any other bs6 diesel vehicles.
I have tried the below mentioned possible solutions for my problem:
1. Thinking it as a dpf issue, I ran constantly above 2000 rpm for 45 minutes on highway
2. Tried filling up diesel from different petrol pump/operator/even city
3. Took my car to a service center for them to run a full scan - they did it and also updated ecu.

Outcome - Still have been facing the same issue.

Tired and literally not knowing what to do now
I am extremely satisfied with my car except for this problematic drive that happens every 2nd/3rd day.

Also, it is difficult to observe the same in any other vehicle until and unless you get to drive it constantly for 6-7 days.
mysticmudit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 15:55   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmudit View Post
I have tried the below mentioned possible solutions for my problem:
1. Thinking it as a dpf issue, I ran constantly above 2000 rpm for 45 minutes on highway
2. Tried filling up diesel from different petrol pump/operator/even city
3. Took my car to a service center for them to run a full scan - they did it and also updated ecu.

Outcome - Still have been facing the same issue.

Tired and literally not knowing what to do now
I am extremely satisfied with my car except for this problematic drive that happens every 2nd/3rd day.

Also, it is difficult to observe the same in any other vehicle until and unless you get to drive it constantly for 6-7 days.

Hi, I face the same cycle in my 2021 Diesel Manual Jeep Compass (every 150-200kms). This is probably the active regeneration kicking in which leads to an increase in fuel consumption.
AshwinRS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 16:47   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshwinRS View Post
Hi, I face the same cycle in my 2021 Diesel Manual Jeep Compass (every 150-200kms). This is probably the active regeneration kicking in which leads to an increase in fuel consumption.
At first I thought the same, but in @mysticmudit case it is happening every 2nd/3rd day or alternate run. Based on my understanding from other thread here regarding dpf , active regen happens after soot reaches certain level and chances of that happening every alternate day despite decent highway running should be minimal.As mentioned by @mysticmudit, daily run includes 70% of highway so the soot should ideally burn off without accumulating.

I might have interpreted this wrong so please feel free to correct me
Revvatron is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 17:32   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvatron View Post
At first I thought the same, but in @mysticmudit case it is happening every 2nd/3rd day or alternate run. Based on my understanding from other thread here regarding dpf , active regen happens after soot reaches certain level and chances of that happening every alternate day despite decent highway running should be minimal.As mentioned by @mysticmudit, daily run includes 70% of highway so the soot should ideally burn off without accumulating.

I might have interpreted this wrong so please feel free to correct me
Really depends how much the car has run in 2 days for it to occur every alternate/second/third day. I am assuming that his running is high. If not, then he needs to exactly calculate and predict when the next cycle is to occur and take it to the service centre accordingly.
AshwinRS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 13:56   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshwinRS View Post
Really depends how much the car has run in 2 days for it to occur every alternate/second/third day. I am assuming that his running is high. If not, then he needs to exactly calculate and predict when the next cycle is to occur and take it to the service centre accordingly.
My daily work run is around 55kms(both ways). And as per my calculations, the problem is occurring after 80-90 kms.

Now lets assume that active regen happens around 200kms for normal cars, is there a way to change that interval or will I have to live with this for 10 years (If this is active regen problem)

I wish there is some solution because it is irritating to drive like this.
Old 6th September 2022, 15:22   #132
BHPian

Interesting thread. My experience so far with my BS6 630D has been nothing to write about other than - it has done close to 52000 kms and still I have about 30% of AdBlue left in the car. Top up indication now is 15 ltrs.

Any suggestions on which AdBlue I should consider topping up with?
Old 6th September 2022, 16:18   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
Interesting thread. My experience so far with my BS6 630D has been nothing to write about other than - it has done close to 52000 kms and still I have about 30% of AdBlue left in the car. Top up indication now is 15 ltrs.

Any suggestions on which AdBlue I should consider topping up with?
I believe its 5200 KMs? Is indication mentioned in iDrive? My 320Ld has done about 6K and iDrive is at 100% full with no recommendation to refill.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 13:22   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I believe its 5200 KMs? Is indication mentioned in iDrive? My 320Ld has done about 6K and iDrive is at 100% full with no recommendation to refill.
Nope. 52000 kms. The indication is mentioned in the iDrive. I believe you have to go to car then status. There is shows the % of AdBlue as well as in Ltrs.
Old 7th September 2022, 13:26   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
Nope. 52000 kms. The indication is mentioned in the iDrive. I believe you have to go to car then status. There is shows the % of AdBlue as well as in Ltrs.
I don’t think one tank of Adblue can last 52000kms. Well, unless Adblue in German cars work differently. You must be getting regular top ups during your service intervals. For my Compass, I have an 11L tank which lasts around 7000kms under normal conditions and 4000kms when in the mountains.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks