Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2022, 13:58   #136
BHPian

Re: BS6 Diesel Car owners - Your experience with DPF / SCR / AdBlue here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I don’t think one tank of Adblue can last 52000kms. Well, unless Adblue in German cars work differently. You must be getting regular top ups during your service intervals. For my Compass, I have an 11L tank which lasts around 7000kms under normal conditions and 4000kms when in the mountains.

I know. Even the service personnel are pleasantly surprised. My usual runs are highways - about 45 kms one way everyday. Maybe that's the reason AdBlue doesn't get used as much as it would in the city.
Old 14th September 2022, 14:56   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmudit View Post
My daily work run is around 55kms(both ways). And as per my calculations, the problem is occurring after 80-90 kms.

Now lets assume that active regen happens around 200kms for normal cars, is there a way to change that interval or will I have to live with this for 10 years (If this is active regen problem)

I wish there is some solution because it is irritating to drive like this.
Latest update : I have been noticing how much time/distance does it normally drive before the problem starts and how much time/distance the problem lasts.
Below are some few observations:
The car drives perfectly for 82-84kms before the problem starts and once the problem starts, the problematic drive is exactly 30 mins for however long I travel.
After 30 minutes, the car starts behaving normally and the cycle repeats.

I would be very thankful if anyone with technical knowledge can share some light on this issue and help me resolving the same.
mysticmudit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 21:34   #138
BHPian

A question for the knowledgeable folks here -- Where are you buying your Adblue? Does the brand or price matter? I ask because my car's user manual asks for ISO 22241 standard Adblue and Amazon shows me two variants - 22041 and 22241 . Now, I'm not sure how many variants exist and if there's anything I need to keep in mind when buying one.
Old 27th September 2022, 23:12   #139

Hello, Teambhpians, and greetings from a new member.

I'm looking for some advice on preventative maintenance.

I recently purchased a pre-owned Ford Figo 1.5 TDCI from a resident of Bengaluru's outskirts. The vehicle was primarily used for highway runs between Bengaluru and Goa.

The Goan ex-owner enjoyed spirited driving most of the time. Except for some minor interior repairs, the car has had no performance issues. The odometer on the car, now named Fiza (wife's choice), reads 77600.

The service history shows no gaps in periodic service and that it was all completed at a Ford-authorized center.

Now, I'm thinking about getting EGR service for a vehicle with a high mileage to avoid costly repairs in the future. I drove 15 km to Ford PPS Yelahanka for this. I mentioned that the car requires an EGR inspection and cleaning ahead of time. This request, which was to be carried out alongside regular service, was denied. The advisor strongly encouraged that if the car is running smoothly, it should be left alone, and that EGR components are unserviceable, with replacement being the only option if the component fails. Remember that this service costs well over ₹20,000

I insisted on assuming full responsibility for any consequences resulting from my bespoke request. He was firm, stating that it was Ford's policy to not clean the EGR. I'm not sure if this policy is in paper or a parroted response from lazy mechanic response.

I spent the last two weeks hunting FNGs in Bengaluru that offered EGR cleaning on Ford Figo 1.5 TDCI, particularly in the city's north side. I have yet to come across one that specializes in EGR service. Almost all keyword searches resulted in car detailers (weird how search engines keep pointing at what I didn't need) or the other possibility that Bengaluru actually lacks professional EGR cleaning centers.

Unable to find help, I began searching YouTube for DIY videos on this particular car. Unfortunately, my quest to clean the EGR on a FORD FIGO 1.5D led me to conclusion.

Almost all technical videos originate in Delhi or Tamil Nadu. It appears that India's top mechanics are from this region. Mukesh Chandragond and Jayavel are two names that come to mind right away. These are first-rate mechanics who have performed the service I require for my vehicle.

However, there isn't a single technical video from Bengaluru. Only reviews of car washes and detailing shops. Pitstop, most GoMechanic customers claim in Google reviews that hyped branded shops mostly do simple oil changes and that anything more is considered risky. Many people have reported going in to fix one problem and returning with two more.

There are a few DIY videos demonstrating how to do it on the Figo Duratoq 1.4L, which has a slightly different engine layout, but none on the Figo 1.5 TDCI

I now need advise on three things considering my rotten luck.

1. Is EGR cleaning worth anything for a car that has 77000 km on odo?
2. If Ford isn't accepting my request, can you suggest me an FNG that does this job? (I will be automatically excusing GoMechanic, PitStop, and their likes. I have trust issues with online brands that are overhyped on search engine)
3. If nothing else works, can EGR cleaning by done by a DIY person without dropping engine from motor mounts?
fiza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 07:42   #140
BHPian

Team-BHP family - this is more of a request for help.

I'm currently in Mysuru, having driven from Hyderabad, and traveling onwards to Coonoor later today. Borrowed the Father in-law's Toyota Fortuner for this road trip and got the AdBlue low warning with a recommendation to top up in about 2400 kms.

Stopped at whatever filling stations we could, on the way from Bengaluru to Mysuru (most were on the service road and we were on the NH) but none of them had it. Will try again today when we go to visit the Mysuru palace.

We're staying at a hotel in the Kumbarakoppal area, in Hebbal 1st stage. I'd greatly appreciate it if anybody could point us to fuel outlets known to stock AdBlue. Thanks!
Old 9th June 2023, 08:02   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnieshwartz View Post
Team-BHP
We're staying at a hotel in the Kumbarakoppal area, in Hebbal 1st stage. I'd greatly appreciate it if anybody could point us to fuel outlets known to stock !
With the remaining 2400kms, you can definitely drive back to Hyderabad even though the realistic range is around 2000kms. However if you want to get rid of the light, the best bet is to visit any Toyota ASC. They have adblue available with their security 24/7 and you can buy it from them. In addition to this the security is also trained to fill up Adblue if needed on your behalf..

So your best bet is a Toyota dealership or service center. And with the remaining kms for Adblue to go empty I'm sure you will find quite a few dealerships so don't worry much about it. My cars Adblue indicator came up two weeks ago and 500kms later I haven't bothered to fill it yet. Might do it this weekend.

Last edited by audioholic : 9th June 2023 at 08:04.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 08:12   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
With the remaining 2400kms, you can definitely drive back to Hyderabad even though the realistic range is around 2000kms. However if you want to get rid of the light, the best bet is to visit any Toyota ASC. They have adblue available with their security 24/7 and you can buy it from them. In addition to this the security is also trained to fill up Adblue if needed on your behalf..

So your best bet is a Toyota dealership or service center. And with the remaining kms for Adblue to go empty I'm sure you will find quite a few dealerships so don't worry much about it. My cars Adblue indicator came up two weeks ago and 500kms later I haven't bothered to fill it yet. Might do it this weekend.
Thank you, this is reassuring, really! This is the first time I'm seeing this warning and did read online about how the vehicle wouldn't start if levels fell too low... but now I have a better idea of what realistic range to expect.

I'll look for the nearest Toyota ASC around, while also asking around any fuel stations we see.

Last edited by arnieshwartz : 9th June 2023 at 08:25. Reason: Corrected typos
Old 9th June 2023, 10:22   #143
BHPian

Stopped by Palace Toyota in the Hootagally Industrial Area and got the AdBlue topped up.
arnieshwartz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 12:14   #144
BHPian

Hi all, I drive a MG Hector Diesel purchased in Oct 2022. It has run 19200 kms but so far I have not received any adblue low level warning or DPF warnings. It has completed 3 services at 1000 kms, 7500 kms and 15000 kms of which the 1st 2 services were just check up only. During all 3 services I asked the service advisor to top up the adblue tank but they were telling adequate quantity of adblue is present and did not refill. However when I asked the service advisor during 3rd service how is it possible to run 15000 kms without refilling, he sheepishly said it is possible that adblue might have been topped up in 2nd service but didn't bill it by mistake. So I had to conclude it as a possibility.

If I am cruising at 75-80 kmph, the instantaneous mileage usually varies between 18-25kmpl (with cruise control engaged). But periodically after running 100-150kms, the mileage drops, engine noise is high and there is a reduction in pickup for a while like for 10 minutes and a distance of 5-10 kms. The instantaneous mileage now drops to 10-14kmpl in highway cruising and 5-10kmpl in city driving. Once this process is completed the vehicle regains the mileage and pickup. I have observed this happening like a cycle for every trip of 200+ kms. Is this phenomenon due to automatic regen done by the vehicle?
Old 22nd June 2023, 21:06   #145
BHPian

Hello Team BHPians!!!!
I need your advice regarding DPF issues.
We are a family of 5 adults and we have decided to purchase the 2023 BS6 Phase 2 Hyundai Creta 1.5 Diesel SX MT. Our daily running is low and we are going to be 60% city and 40% highway rides. We decided to go for diesel since we are going to keep the car for a good 7-8 years and Diesel engines might go extinct by then. I was advised to reconsider since Diesel cars have DPF issues on low running and short rides. Can someone help me understand the DPF issues of the Creta and give me a clear understanding of whether I should buy the Diesel engine or no?
Old 22nd June 2023, 21:47   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoni.1411 View Post
Hello Team BHPians!!!!
I need your advice regarding DPF issues.
Can someone help me understand the DPF issues of the Creta and give me a clear understanding of whether I should buy the Diesel engine or no?
I have a Nov ‘22 Alcazar diesel, and have experienced DPF clogging issues couple of times. Once at 3500KM and the next one within a month around 4500KM. The main culprit was the frequent short runs, and due to that there was not enough time to burn the soot by itself. It could be really frustrating if get the warning during urgency.

Two ways we can clear the filter, one is driving above 60 KMPH @ around 2000 RPM for 30 minutes or do a self regeneration provided by the software itself. First option ruled out for me since here it’s difficult to find open road to do a non stop 30 mins drive. I did self regeneration both times and it took around 25 mins.

One way to avoid the issue is taking it for a spin occasionally in sports mode on an open highway. And other than the DPF issues, it’s a gem of an engine.
rx100 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 23:24   #147
BHPian

Hi fellow experts,

I own an Inova Crysta 2021 and my car seems to be prone to DPF clogging issue and I don't know what to do about it! It has covered 20k kms, sparingly used -mostly city ,and occassionally highways once a month.

Last year, similar time of the month on a drive from Goa-Mysore-Ooty-Wayanad-Goa, I had this issue where the car went on limp mode on my drive between Ooty to Wayanad, I had filled up to full tank at a Reliance pump and shortly after 50-60 odd kms , the DPF sensor showed it was full and threw the error to visit the dealership to clear the error. The SA said it could be due to change of temperatures /cold temperature at Ooty where the car couldn't clear the DPF filter at that altitude

Coming back to this week on my way from Goa to Mumbai, I stopped to refuel at the COCO hp bunk on the Pune expressway. The adblue level light had just come on and here I had used the Tata adblue can to refill. I made it a point specifically to check the dpf display, again no message, only one/two bars showing. Just about time I reached Panvel about 70kms away, all the 9 bars light up suddenly along with the car going in limp mode. Never have I ever been frustrated with a car that Toyota has made me go through!

The car was again cleared off by manual cleaning by connecting the laptop at a Toyota service centre. Here the Service head told me that it could be due to use of Tata adblue fluid and I should be using Toyota adblue (is it possible?)

In both scenarios, the issue has popped up after long enthusiastic drives on open roads with high revs and long 90-100+ speeds so I don't understand the collection of soot all of a sudden. Experts please help how can I escalate and what needs to be changed/updated and to be checked for in my car or what am I doing wrong in my 15+ years of driving diesels cause I am truly frustrated at getting stuck with a Toyota which is not reliable.

Last edited by richie4u : 22nd September 2023 at 23:26.
richie4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2023, 00:01   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
The SA said it could be due to change of temperatures /cold temperature at Ooty where the car couldn't clear the DPF filter at that altitude.
Firstly, I am no expert by any means. Sorry that you had to go through all this.

BS6 Diesel Cars have broken down on hill stations and here’s a relevant article for the same. - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...kar-spiti.html (DPF issues in BS6-compliant cars at high altitude places like Ladakh, Zanskar and Spiti)

Quote:
The car was again cleared off by manual cleaning by connecting the laptop at a Toyota service centre. Here the Service head told me that it could be due to use of Tata adblue fluid and I should be using Toyota adblue (is it possible?)
Yes this is actually true and some people now carry 5L AdBlue cans with themselves to top up as and when required by themselves which they buy from the ASS.

Quote:
Experts please help how can I escalate and what needs to be changed/updated and to be checked for in my car or what am I doing wrong in my 15+ years of driving diesels cause I am truly frustrated at getting stuck with a Toyota which is not reliable.
You can refer this article- https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...pf-issues.html (The DPF Saga | Tips & Advice on avoiding DPF issues)

And lastly since you have a 2021 Crysta there’s another article in which many other 2021 Toyota Diesel models faced the problem. Here’s the article- https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...pf-issues.html (2021 Toyota Fortuner DPF Issues)

Hope this helps.
ex-innova-guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2023, 15:29   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post

I know. Even the service personnel are pleasantly surprised. My usual runs are highways - about 45 kms one way everyday. Maybe that's the reason AdBlue doesn't get used as much as it would in the city.
My X1 Adblue status implies a full tank (10L) can last upto 5000 miles. But I have been prompted to refill only at about 20000 miles. I topped up to full at 10k miles and then let it run till the DEF low warning popped up, by then the odo was at 29000 miles, with another indicated 1000 miles remaining. Bimmers may be quite frugal with Adblue it seems.
Old 20th December 2023, 16:43   #150
Senior - BHPian

Is Adblue available only with Service centres and online in Bangalore/KA? I find it very difficult to refill it in Bangalore

Kerala has numerous outlets with dispenser pumps similar to fuel pumps and it is very easy and convenient to get a refill. I saw it even in few fuel-stations as well in Kerala

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks