Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2020, 07:31   #1
BHPian

Nausea and stomach pain while traveling in a car

Hello everyone, need your help with a problem I'm facing that's ruining my roadtrips.

I own a 2014 Honda Amaze (AT). The car was bought in 2018 and it's been a fill-it, shut it and forget it car.

Coming to the issue at hand, we started taking roadtrips to places like Goa, Hyderabad, Chennai etc.
During these roadtrips, while I sit at the back, I feel this horrible amount of nausea and stomach achewhich doesn't even go away even after opening the window or having certain candy that makes it go away :(
If I move to the front it does seem to somewhat go away but the feeling still lingers.

Any suggestions.
Please let me know.

Note: I'm 6 ft tall and should be in the drivers seat at this point
Sreesh1009 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 07:45   #2
BHPian

re: Nausea and stomach pain while traveling in a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
Any suggestions.
Please let me know.

You're suffering from motion sickness. There are medicines available to prevent it. As I'm not a doctor and this is a public forum, I don't want to put them up here. Please check with your doctor.

We use one in our family for those who suffer from this condition - 1 or 1/2 tablet, depending on age, 30 minutes before the start of the journey and the journey will be pleasant, both for the person and for the driver. Its effect lasts up to 6hrs and works when travelling in planes/boats as well.

There are Ayurvedic alternatives which claim to correct the root cause of the condition and must be taken daily for certain number of weeks. But we haven't tried it in our family. You can check this as well.

Edit: Such medicines are only meant for the passengers and NOT for the driver as they often induce sleep.

Last edited by dksv : 27th September 2020 at 07:54. Reason: Something important
dksv is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 07:56   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksv View Post
You're suffering from motion sickness. There are medicines available to prevent it. As I'm not a doctor and this is a public forum, I don't want to put them up here. Please check with your doctor.

We use one in our family for those who suffer from this condition - 1 or 1/2 tablet, depending on age, 30 minutes before the start of the journey and the journey will be pleasant, both for the person and for the driver. Its effect lasts up to 6hrs and works when travelling in planes/boats as well.

There are Ayurvedic alternatives which claim to correct the root cause of the condition and must be taken daily for certain number of weeks. But we haven't tried it in our family. You can check this as well.
Motion Sickness, that's the term, I for some reason wasn't able to remember the term. My parents have given me some Homeopathy tablets as well as something called "Hing" Tablets. The homeopathy tablet works for some time but after that we're back to square 1. I will talk to my doctor nonetheless.

Do you guys think this has something to do with the suspension of the car?
Old 27th September 2020, 08:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
It just depends on how sensitive one's body is to the sickness. Some get the symptoms only when the interiors are black and claustrophobic, some only in diesel vehicles because of the high torque, some only when seated on the side where the exhaust pipe is - because of the fuel smell, some only when the suspension is boat-like, some during take-off/landing, some during air turbulence, some during roller-coaster rides!

All this information is based on 30yrs of dealing with it across several members from the extended family
dksv is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 08:29   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Motion Sickness, that's the term

I had this exact issue with a neighbour which turned out to be bad 6yr old JK tyres. The motion sickness vanished after buying 4 new Bridgestones.

How old are the tyres of the car? If you’re still running on the original 6 yr old tyres, they may well be the culprit. It may be time for you to invest in 4 new good quality tyres and check if that solves your issue.

If it’s not the tyres, get the front & rear shock absorbers checked for wear.

Also, is it just yourself in the car which suffers from motion sickness or are there others too?
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 09:04   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
I had this exact issue with a neighbour which turned out to be bad 6yr old JK tyres. The motion sickness vanished after buying 4 new Bridgestones.

How old are the tyres of the car? If you’re still running on the original 6 yr old tyres, they may well be the culprit. It may be time for you to invest in 4 new good quality tyres and check if that solves your issue.

If it’s not the tyres, get the front & rear shock absorbers checked for wear.

Also, is it just yourself in the car which suffers from motion sickness or are there others too?
Well the tyres are a year old Yokohama Earth-1s. Me and my dad think it's the suspension.
I'm the only one who feels like that. I've never had this issue in the other cars we've owned.
Will be getting the rear suspension changed, will also check the condition of the front.
Sreesh1009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 09:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Will be getting the rear suspension changed, will also check the condition of the front.
If possible, change the shocks to Kayaba Excel-G (KYB). They are replacement shocks (plug & play) which work flawlessly with the factory suspension setup. I’ve been using them on all four corners of my Micra for the past 80,000kms now and they still ride tight, with outstanding damping capabilities and perform way better than the OE Nissan shocks (cheaper too). An added advantage was improved handling and remarkably better acceleration!

Safe to say I’ll be switching to Kayabas for all my other vehicles when they’re due for suspension work.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 09:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

A home remedy that works for me and my mom has been the salted and dried Citron. I don’t know what else it’s called, other than the ‘Narthangai’ as we call it in Tamil.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 09:54   #9

That's motion sickness.
You can take medicine.
Or you can try another way - look at the horizon.

It's caused when your eyes see (in the rear seats or even the passenger who is not looking ahead) that not much is moving but the movements in car and vibrations feel that you are moving. This causes the brain to think that it could be caused due to you eating maybe poison (evolution is pretty awesome). So your body's natural response becomes to throw up whatever you've eaten to ensure your survival and proper senses. That's why you feel nausea and stomach pain.

An easy way to avoid this is to look ahead at the road. This causes your eyes to tell you brain that you're moving, which the rest of your body is also telling, and everything's fine. Else, you can try some off-the-shelf medicines.

Happy journey.
crysisftw is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 10:21   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Oh wow! I didn't know about this. Did you have to import them or is there a seller in India?
Do PM me more details, if you could?
Thanks
I got them from my FNG. However when I tried looking them up online, I’m yet to find them for the Amaze. I’ll send you a PM if I do come across a compatible set.

If you need to change the suspension immediately, then stick to your tried & tested brand from your FNG/service centre.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 10:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

My daughter feels nausea and vomiting on ghat roads only due to car body roll. On flat highways she is okay for hours together, even 12 hours at a stretch.
What is the best solution? She is 6 years old.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 10:38   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm the only one who feels like that. I've never had this issue in the other cars we've owned.
It does depend on the vehicle and it's characteristics also and not just suspension. But yes a stiff suspension would improve the handling and atleast reduce the wavy motions which can help reduce the impact. That can also explain why you don't have the problem in other vehicles. And motion sickness is different for different folks also. So not surprising that none of the others are affected.

One solution that has worked very well for my sister in law are these accupressure motion sickness wrist bands. Now, don't ask me how they work and the science behind it, but I have personally seen it working wonders for my sister in law who has severe motion sickness. Link to one of these below.

Emerson Healthcare Sea Band Motion Sickness Wrist Band for Adults - 1 Pair https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00DKEPFV2/..._jWbCFb2QA6QR4

In general the reviews are also good. Lot of the negative reviews are from folks who thought it can avoid pregnancy related morning sickness.

Motion sickness is normally aggravated in twisty/ghat roads.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 27th September 2020 at 10:42.
Rajeevraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 10:56   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
My daughter feels nausea and vomiting on ghat roads only due to car body roll. On flat highways she is okay for hours together, even 12 hours at a stretch.
What is the best solution? She is 6 years old.
There are two things you can do:
1. Distract her during the climb and descent. Probably showing the scenery or something.
2. Homeopathy medicines are great for kids and quite mild.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
It does depend on the vehicle and it's characteristics also and not just suspension. But yes a stiff suspension would improve the handling and atleast reduce the wavy motions which can help reduce the impact. That can also explain why you don't have the problem in other vehicles. And motion sickness is different for different folks also. So not surprising that none of the others are affected.

One solution that has worked very well for my sister in law are these accupressure motion sickness wrist bands. Now, don't ask me how they work and the science behind it, but I have personally seen it working wonders for my sister in law who has severe motion sickness. Link to one of these below.

Emerson Healthcare Sea Band Motion Sickness Wrist Band for Adults - 1 Pair https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00DKEPFV2/..._jWbCFb2QA6QR4

Motion sickness is normally aggravated in twisty/ghat roads.
Thank you for this! I guess my height and posture also plays a part here. I will look into the wrist band.
Old 27th September 2020, 12:14   #14
Team-BHP Support

On ghat roads, some of them do get nausea and throw up. Even I used to back when I was a kid and was traveling in a bus during those school excursions and such. Our teachers used to recommend salted lemon juice (salt, squeeze some fresh lime and water). This worked for most of them. Avomine helps reduce nausea too but takes a while for the effect to kick in.

Best to drive slow in these sections and keep the windows open. Some folks can't take air-conditioned cabins. Opening the windows helps. Do try that out. For most, frequent traveling will reduce the nausea gradually. I guess the body adapts to it.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th September 2020 at 12:15.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 12:19   #15
BHPian

Looking at the condition of the suspension, I'm guessing it's the main grouse in addition to my height and seating position at the back.
Notice how one of the struts has started cracking slowly.
Thanks for all the inputs everyone, hope this thread helps others as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Nausea and stomach pain while traveling in a car-img_20200927_120620.jpg  

Nausea and stomach pain while traveling in a car-img_20200927_120552.jpg  

Nausea and stomach pain while traveling in a car-screenshot_20200927121759115_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks