Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2010, 08:09   #346
Senior - BHPian

Guys I have a doubt. I know its not placed in the right thread .
But why do some sports cars and supercars rev a lot upon startup and then come to an idle ?
Can you please direct me to the right thread.
Old 5th June 2010, 00:17   #347
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Because most of them have something called Launch Control.
Old 7th August 2010, 23:49   #348
alphamike

This is of help to me, however, I had changed my stock ordinary OE filter to Green Cotton filters. It got damaged for God know what reason. The side rubber beadings got worn out completely. I went to the dealer here in Bangalore and I am told that I will be given a replacement.

I was considering to swap the same for a conical larger filter with a cold air intake pipe. This would essentially mean that I will have to get rid of the stock box and have the conical filter there.

Is this really recommended. I also look forward to have the PSI (Petes tuning box) installed as well. This is for my Hyundai Elantra CRDi.

recommendations and suggestions solicited.

Old 7th August 2010, 23:59   #349
alphamike

Hi Chetan,

I would want to upgrade my Air filter from stock to green cotton. I was considering to go in for the Conical large filters.

I also plan to have the Petes (ECU Remap) tuning box on my Eantra CRDi.

How much of a difference would it make to my drive.

Does it make sense to go in for the conical large filter or should I just put the green stock filter as a replacement into the box.

your advice/suggestion!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
3] Air filter/CAI

this may help but depending upon how u have installed it and if u have installed it correctly are you really making use of the extra air with a stock engine.. ?
most common setup done is
(a) removal of stock air box
(b)removal of the stock pipe and repalcing by a metal tube(this metal tube is not considered so important by 99% of people, its the colorful conical filter which gets the most attaraction)
(c) attach the conical filter at the tip

as a result the filter ends up located somewhere near the position where the stock air box was ..
guess whats wrong ?
(a) u are sucking in hotter air from the engine bay.
(b) as seen in some engine bays there is lack of space so the tube from the air filter to the Throttle body is routed above the engine block or very clsoe to it without any heat sheilding/wraps..
so u r further increasing the air temp.
(c) rerouting the air intake to the oustside box but with a very convulated piping also will not be that useful as we need to make sure the air flow is straight..with minimum twists..
also the pipe should not have kinks in it , the hi end systems come with mandrel bent pipes to make sure the flow of air is smooth as possible.. but do the budget ones have these kind of smooth flowing pipes

extreme cases MAF sensor to be upgraded to handle extra flow of air but thats in extreme cases...

in many setups the stock pipe and air box provide more heat sheilding and insulation than these CAI setups

Ok even if this setup is done right by rerouting to some where below the front bumper or front tyre then .. what next ?are u really
going to make much BHP ? say max 1 or 2 BHP.. dont think its going to make more than that in any stock indian engine... which is detuned for 84 octane and bad fuel..

hey but the intake growl is worth the install but at expense of what ? make sure ur not sucking in hot air from a convulated pipe snaking around in ur engine bay and may be make 1-2 bhp on ur stock engine which can be negligble.. but plz dude dont expect more..

Old 13th August 2010, 02:55   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamike View Post
Hi Chetan,

I would want to upgrade my Air filter from stock to green cotton. I was considering to go in for the Conical large filters.

I also plan to have the Petes (ECU Remap) tuning box on my Eantra CRDi.

How much of a difference would it make to my drive.

Does it make sense to go in for the conical large filter or should I just put the green stock filter as a replacement into the box.

your advice/suggestion!!
Conical would be good if you routed it correctly and made sure u actually got the cold air from outside to the filter instead of just sucking in hotter air from some corner inside of the engine bay.
Anyways it wouldnt be safe based on our road conditions to suck in air from the outside..possiblity of pullling in water splashed from the road + extra dust would surely screw your engine. Some good brands come with bypass valves to prevent hydrolock in case of water getting into ur intake ..but lets keep it simple you dont need so much air for a basic remap.
Stick to stock box , replace with diff foam if you think its better and go ahead wth your Pete's remap.
..just my opinion
Old 12th February 2011, 18:22   #351
Senior - BHPian

Re: "Dude I bolted on 25 BHP" FAQ !!

Hello Guys

Today i was visiting one mall and out curiosity saw a person purchasing this

"Dude I bolted on 25 BHP"  FAQ !!-12022011060.jpg

Curiously, i asked him as to whats and how. he said that his non-crde Scorpio was treated with this stuff 2 yrs back and the performance and mileage went up quiet a bit & the reading of odo was approx 30k. Now at 60k he is treating the engine with the same stuff again,

Any mysteries around this stuff. Has anyone on the community tried this?
Old 3rd March 2011, 02:54   #352
Senior - BHPian

Is this something like OWS engine flush?Cleans away the carbon?
Old 31st October 2011, 08:43   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Guys I have a doubt. I know its not placed in the right thread .
But why do some sports cars and supercars rev a lot upon startup and then come to an idle ?
Can you please direct me to the right thread.
To answer your original query, from a cold start ALL cars rev a lot higher than idle. This is to get the O2 sensor on-line ASAP. As you may know oxygen sensors work at their best above 300 deg Celsius. It is just than in sports cars, due to their relatively low restriction exhaust, it gets a LOT louder.
Old 31st October 2012, 00:31   #354
Distinguished - BHPian

My two cents, for what its worth. Very generically I'd comment as follows

1] Plug wires
Wont do anything really for improved performance. Might make performance more reliable. Any car over 10-15 years, just replace plug wires, rotor, rotor cap and plugs

2] Iridium Spark Plugs, 4 electrode plugs
See 1). I love Iridium plugs, because I don't need to gap them and they give consistent performance over many, many miles. But not really better performance.

3] Air filter/CAI
Could give you a few extra HP if properly installed. Probably more important to keep your air filter properly cleaned/serviced.

4] Lightened flywheel
Depends totally on your engine design. Its expensive, throws the balancing of the engine completely, but might get you some more free reving engine, but not more HP or torque

5] electric supercharger
If your car wasn't designed for it, you'll need to adjust a lot, valves, timing at the bare minimum, but it can increase your HP considerably. So in theory great, in practice often problematic.

6] synthetic oil
Wont make the slightest bit of difference on performance, maybe on wear and tear. Mostly on oil change interval. Well, in theory there might be an improvement on performance as some of these synthetic oil are supposed to decrease friction. I wouldn't hold my breath.

7] 97 octane fuel with octane boosters
Chancing octane won't do a thing for the HP/torgue/performance.
Your car's engine has a fixed compression, so its optimized for a given octane. Boosting the octane number will cost you, but won't give you anything.

Lowering the octane. (eg putting petrol in with lower octane) will lead to performance degradation though!. Higher octane will not lead to performance improvement.

8] TB spacers
You believe these things work, you and I need to talk; I've got a bridge for sale you need to have a look at.

9] Strut braces
Sorry, no idea what it is

10] ECU reflash
Potentially, very big performance improvement possible, 10-20%, Make sure you get it done by somebody who knows what he's doing, preferably does it on the Dyno. In most cases, you will void the manufacturer warranty. Some manufactures offer it, at ridiculous, prices, as an option (Eg. Volvo in Europe)

In all this is probably the easiest way of improving your car's performance in the most simple way. It can be done easily, providing you have the right kit and know what you're doing. It's not necessarily only about more HP and or torque, but it can improve overall drivability as well,

11] Low profile tyres
marginally improvement, but your mileometer will be off. But you're trading torque for HP. But hey, those low profile tyres look cool! So you're certainly outperforming the next guy visually!

12] free flow exhausts
You might get a few more HP's. Most noticeable will be the extra sound, which could be cool, and you'll find that the engine revs better and tends to pick up better at low RPMs. I took out my catalytic convertor on my 1986 Alfa Spider. Had it on the dyno before and after. Gave me 3.4HP extra, a very cool sound and noticeable improvement in drivability at low RPMs.

13] cams
Potentially could improve HP/Torque considerably. But you need to know what you're doing and you might have to adjust other parts as well.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 01:14   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
My two cents, for what its worth. Very generically I'd comment as follows

9] Strut braces
Sorry, no idea what it is

Jeroen

Also called strut Bars.

Works buy stiffing the chassis of the car during high speed cornering.

Sorry just saw the date !

Last edited by Captain Slow : 18th March 2015 at 01:17. Reason: Sorry just saw the date !
Old 18th March 2015, 11:11   #356
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Also called strut Bars.

Works buy stiffing the chassis of the car during high speed cornering.

Sorry just saw the date !

Thanks. Did not recognize the term. It is actually very effective on some cars and you dont need to corner that fast to notice the difference on some cars, eg Mazda MX5 earlier series.
Old 20th March 2015, 08:41   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
11] Low profile tyres
marginally improvement, but your mileometer will be off. But you're trading torque for HP. But hey, those low profile tyres look cool! So you're certainly outperforming the next guy visually!

Jeroen
could you please elaborate on this.

rev
Old 20th March 2015, 18:40   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
could you please elaborate on this.

rev

When you put lower tires on, it means the circumference becomes less as well. So for one revolution of your wheel, compared to the original size tire, you have travelled less distance. You speedometer and milometer will be of subsequently a bit as well.

As the circumference is less, when the same power or torque is applied on the centre ie hub, it will exert a greater force at the circumference, hence you acceleration improves a bit.

Jeroen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks