Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2007, 16:47   #1
BHPian

Intermittently Silent Horn

My 2002 Santro has developed a peculiar problem. I am unable to sound the horn sometimes.
There are switches under each of the 3 spokes of the steering wheel. Sometimes all fail. Sometimes only 1 or 2 fail & I am able to blow the horn using the other 1 or 2. Funnily enough all the switches start working again after some time.
It may be a coincidence but it seems that the horn problem occurs only after I have driven the car for a while & never just after I start it.
Can anyone suggest the diagnosis & treatment?
Thanks in advance.
Old 11th April 2007, 17:55   #2
Team-BHP Support

1: Check if the horn bob (i think thats whats its called) on the steering is working fine, my car had a similar issue after prolonged usage, had to open the bob cover and realign the contacts

2: Horn itself, from what you have posted i gather, maybe the horn is out of tune and when the voltage increases (after running/charging) the horn points are not working proper.
OE horns, i dont know if you can tune to resolve this, best thing is get a new pair then.
Old 11th April 2007, 18:14   #3
BHPian

I have this problem in my swift. My front bumper got damaged right at the spot where the horn is, and the dummy fog lamp fell off (the plastic lid- i have an lxi which doesnt have fog lamps). Some connections got lose, which the dealer fixed. Things are fine now.

Ask your service center to check for some lose connection

Cheers
Old 11th April 2007, 18:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Actually you need to open the top of the steering wheel to access the contact points, the contacts tend to have carbon deposits over prolonged use, you will need to clean the contact points using a solution like carbon tetra chloride, most cases this should work.
Another area where the problem could lie is in the point set of the horn itself, Roots and Hella point sets are available in the market which can be used to replace the OEM pointset. Any good auto electrician should be able to do it.
My Santro horn was getting less louder, all I got done was retune the point sets.
Old 11th April 2007, 19:08   #5
BHPian

absolutely same problem

I had the exactly same problem. A funny incident happenned because of this. I had driven from Bangalore to Mysore. Was driving into KRS parking lot, where there were a lot of people walking on the road.
Santro is so silent that nobody even hears the engine sound even if it is very close by. I was going behind a woman and what can I do?? The horn is not working!! She suddenly saw that my car was right behind her.. she was horrified and moved away with a comment .. "cant you honk and go?". I could understand her reaction too. what could i say?

Curiously, the honk became alright after a few days.
Old 11th April 2007, 20:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
I had the exactly same problem. A funny incident happenned because of this..
funny,
people ask you to honk at them
Old 12th April 2007, 13:38   #7
BHPian

This does seem like a recurrent problem in Santros going by the responses here. I have a 2002 Santro which developed the same problem but it's something the A.S.S know of and tackle within a few minutes when approached.

Last edited by suren181 : 12th April 2007 at 13:39.
Old 12th April 2007, 21:49   #8
BHPian

Thanks a ton, everyone. I plan to start by having the steering wheel opened up and the carbon deposit removed. Will keep you posted.
Old 25th April 2007, 22:23   #9
BHPian

Got the car back from the workshop today. They tried adjusting the diaphragm. The horn worked for a while, then started its old tricks again. I think I'll have to replace it.
Any suggestions for good after-market horns? I remember picking up a pair of imported horns from Mico-Bosch, with bill & warranty, a few years ago for my Maruti 800 & being very happy with it.
Old 26th April 2007, 09:19   #10
BHPian

Horn or Horn-switch?

well. I am not sure what exactly was the problem in your car. But mine has a problem with the switch on the steering. So, if you too have the same problem, i dont think changing the horn itself will help. You may have the same problem again cause the switch is malfunctioning.
Old 26th April 2007, 20:37   #11
BHPian

Even the Roots 4 yr old horn on my Lancer is having Intermittent problems, Sometimes it works, and other times it won't..! I will be purchasing Bosch Symphony for Rs.360 and 6 months warranty, Have the current in My XETA.

Had got the Steering console, opened and Cleaned last service..but still there is no improvement...however since we are not driving the lancer that much din't feel the need

Last edited by wolfinstein : 26th April 2007 at 20:38.
Old 26th April 2007, 22:32   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
well. I am not sure what exactly was the problem in your car. But mine has a problem with the switch on the steering. So, if you too have the same problem, i dont think changing the horn itself will help. You may have the same problem again cause the switch is malfunctioning.
You're dead right. I am going to get the switches on the steering-wheel checked out next week.
Old 30th April 2007, 23:54   #13
BHPian

Happy ending to horn story. Switches in steering wheel cleaned but horns resolutely mum. Horns tuned one by one by turning a knob at the back & what do you know, they're singing sweetly again! Thanks everyone for pitching in with advice.
Old 1st May 2007, 15:48   #14
BHPian

I just removed the Roots Horn before going in for the replacement, The problem is that I tried both horn seprately they worked, But intermittent when both are connected.

Also, They some time work fine without starting the car and sometimes they don't work while driving.

What could the possible causes, I had a Battery change last November, All OEM Devices-Stereio, Xenon Fog Lamps they run fine..!

The Horns are around 4 years old now, But since they are working fine individually..I can't seem to isolate the problem.

Does the Lancer have Horn Relays and where would that be placed, Checked in the Fuse Box- not there..!
Old 1st May 2007, 17:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

@wolfinstein, it is a malfunctioning horn relay, I'm sure Lancer has one, if the horns are aftermarket fitments, there would be a separate horn relay fitted somewhere in the engine bay.Cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks