Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2021, 12:24   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2000-km run Tata Harrier | Fuel tank bolts missing, dangerously hanging below the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
I knew it coming. I am not good with technical terms chasis, suspension all sound same to me. The missing bolt was in the rear and was holding another moving part. I hope you get the idea.
We learn as we go.

Rear sub frame holds the rear diff (AWD) and suspension bits, 4 big bolts in there , the subframe is not welded in and can come loose.

Not specific to XUV or Harrier but many things underneath can come loose overtime, especially if there is a rubber bush or isolators behind it, sometimes they are caught while regular servicing and often the owner does not get to know . If that technician was having a bad day he may as well ignore it or overlook it and if the bolt comes loose before the next service, you now have a problem.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 11:37   #77
BHPian

Re: 2000-km run Tata Harrier | Fuel tank bolts missing, dangerously hanging below the car

Without a thorough investion its not clear what actually led to this precarious situation but most fellow teambhpians are suggesting QC/PDI issues by TATA. I would say that PDI in India cannot be trusted for most brands as I know that its more about ticking the checklist. What actually leads to less defects is a process that has good quality controls while the vehicle is getting assembled. A mix of automation and thorough investigation of a vehicle failing PDI with accountability passing on to employees and managers for each defect is what builds a thorough quality culture. Changing culture takes time and TATA seems to be on the right path. Would be interesting to see how far they can pull this off.
Maverick Avi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 07:43   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to Saurabh Akhilesh Shukla for sending this information in.
This is really scary stuff. And just as I was waxing eloquent to my family on how far Tata products have come in the desirability quotient as well as the quality of engineering front.

Please can you share any further updates from the OP? Any feedback from TASS etc.? Thank you.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 21:23   #79

I completely agree with everyone here. The QC and the PDI is not up to the mark with Tata motors. I own a Harrier which is just 4 months old. I have faced loads of small niggles.
1. The infotainment system is not up to the mark. Gets hung often with Apple carplay.
2. Scratches here and there(both inside and outside the car).
3. TMS doesn’t handle the cars with care. Some scratches were caused by them.
4. At times the brakes cause the floor to vibrate.

TMS guys are also not very knowledgeable and the explanations given by them doesn’t make sense and illogical.

The latest one, which I noticed today, there is some yellow sticky fluid coming out of the driver side front and rear doors. I have no idea what these are. Can someone identify this?
Attached Thumbnails
2000-km run Tata Harrier | Fuel tank bolts missing, dangerously hanging below the car-b499f6aeacfd49f1b31e34b8500d52ee.jpeg  

2000-km run Tata Harrier | Fuel tank bolts missing, dangerously hanging below the car-e1ebb7a11c224a81a01027876fe66ce0.jpeg  

panda1707 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 22:36   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda1707 View Post
4. At times the brakes cause the floor to vibrate.

The latest one, which I noticed today, there is some yellow sticky fluid coming out of the driver side front and rear doors. I have no idea what these are. Can someone identify this?
Seems like the doors were waxed to prevent corrosion and looks like excess wax oozing out. Some dealers offer it as part of 3M or similar corrosion prevention package.

The vibration could be due to warped brake rotor. Ask the service center to skim it if the thickness is within limits. If its worn out change it along with brake pads.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 06:16   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to Saurabh Akhilesh Shukla for sending this information in.
Hi, Did we get any further update from the person? This should not be like shoot and scoot thing. I am interested to know feedback from Tata.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 09:47   #82
BHPian

Isn't it bad if it's indeed wax filled in the doors? Those outlets below let out the water that could seep in through the windows which in this case could collect in the doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Seems like the doors were waxed to prevent corrosion and looks like excess wax oozing out. Some dealers offer it as part of 3M or similar corrosion prevention package.

The vibration could be due to warped brake rotor. Ask the service center to skim it if the thickness is within limits. If its worn out change it along with brake pads.
Old 1st March 2021, 10:04   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by soji View Post
Isn't it bad if it's indeed wax filled in the doors? Those outlets below let out the water that could seep in through the windows which in this case could collect in the doors.
That’s exactly what I also feel.
And why was it waxed without my knowledge? Why is this happening only with doors on the driver side!
Could this be rust?
Were the doors repaired by any chance?
Old 1st March 2021, 11:13   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This thread is for the fuel tank issue, and by virtue of that, maybe you can post your quality defect observations on the general Harrier thread.
However, I couldn't help notice the strange wax treatment on the door panel.

From the official review page, this is what I extracted:-

2000-km run Tata Harrier | Fuel tank bolts missing, dangerously hanging below the car-2019tataharrier19.jpg

The area coinciding with what you have mentioned - is that where the door warning red light is supposed to be in your car? And if its yes, then is there an empty space that has been filled with wax by the service personnel?
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 11:25   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
This thread is for the fuel tank issue, and by virtue of that, maybe you can post your quality defect observations on the general Harrier thread.
====
And if its yes, then is there an empty space that has been filled with wax by the service personnel?
My apologies. I will move the discussion to the general Harrier thread.

The images I shared are for the door at the back. The red warning door light is placed way above this section.
Sharing an image of the front door here. The leakage is not as prominent as the back door.
Attached Thumbnails
2000-km run Tata Harrier | Fuel tank bolts missing, dangerously hanging below the car-a7096ef785a94766ad60df7b6111250b.jpeg  

Old 1st March 2021, 11:30   #86
BHPian

Quote:

Actually, this rubber padding/ part is missing from your car. Get it fixed asap.

Again, a QC flaw.
Attached Thumbnails
2000-km run Tata Harrier | Fuel tank bolts missing, dangerously hanging below the car-2019tataharrier04__01.jpg  

2000-km run Tata Harrier | Fuel tank bolts missing, dangerously hanging below the car-2019tataharrier04__01__01.jpg  

Last edited by wrongturn : 1st March 2021 at 11:33.
wrongturn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 00:15   #87
BHPian

Was considering the Harrier as our next purchase as the replacement for our 10 year old Innova. But, after seeing lots of niggles reported in the forum, had to strike off from the list and doesn't make sense to spend Rs.25L on a Tata vehicle, which has plethora of niggles and poor QC and also, I don't want to make my dad face hassles with the vehicle and with the service center.

But, sad to see that the Harrier owners are facing issues with their vehicles even after launching the 2.0 BS6 version.

Until and unless the Tata improves the QC in their vehicles, will not be splurging the money on their vehicles and allow others to do so.

But, what's worse is, post any of the video or thread, which contains any niggle you are facing with the Tata vehicle in FB group or in YouTube, the Tata fanboys simply come and they simply put blame on the owner saying that, it's not the dealer's nor manufacturer's fault and they simply put blame on the owner by saying that it's your fault.

These Tata fanboys are the worst fanboys I've ever seen and they bash other car brands as if Tata has good QC and good service, and, especially, the meme creators of Instagram, which I feel like they are over hyping the Tata vehicles a lot these days.

Sorry Tata, you have lost a customer and I thought that you are improved alot in last 3-4 years, but, please improve the QC in your vehicles and improve the sales and service experience as well if you want to be in No.1 position.

Last edited by car_guy1998 : 6th March 2021 at 00:20.
car_guy1998 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 00:37   #88
Senior - BHPian

My first and last affair with Tata was in 2010. I bought a new Safari EX 4x4 and sold it within the first year. There were just too many issues. Since then I have never visited them. Now after 11 years stories like these just cement the fact that nothing much has changed. Underneath the fancy exteriors it still reeks of quality issues. God knows how many years they will take to get even the basics right.
Traveler is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks