Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Wipers : Traditional or Frameless (from all perspectives)?
Traditional 94 40.69%
Frameless 137 59.31%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2021, 16:12   #1
BHPian

Should I pay more for frameless wipers?

Hi Team,

Apologies if this has been discussed before. I drive a much beloved 2012 Holden (GM / Chevrolet) Cruze. My wipers are of the same type that originally came with the vehicle (traditional) and have been replaced a few times as can be expected over the years.

Recently I have been targetted by online ads of frameless wipers (also known as bracketless or spineless wipers which are usually OEM with premium vehicles). I don't wish to give publicity to any firm so I don't want to post the link but the price difference is almost 2-3x for these compared to the usual. You can find these for almost any vehicle on Amazon / eBay. I have never been unhappy with the normal framed wipers but I guess I dont know what I am missing?

What do fellow members think? Are the traditional wipers ok or are the frameless ones worth the upgrade?
Takumi-san is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 16:16   #2
BHPian

re: Should I pay more for frameless wipers?

Found this video while researching - , the ones that I am after dont have silicon but apparently Teflon? I wonder if thats better? I wouldnt mind spending if they are going to last 10 years and from what it seems provide a better / safer experience over the time too?
Takumi-san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 17:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Call me fundamentalist or old traditionalist. All I need is a clean glass to see the external world and road very clearly through windshield. If that can be achieved by a clean cloth(cheapest solution) with the help of button inside the car, I will be most happy person.

We have simple wipers doing that job with frame and available at few 100s of rupees. I am extremely satisfied with this solution.

I really don't see any value in frameless wipers and per my opinion, it is waste of money to spend additional 2x or 3x amount. In my view, these are all market gimmicks to create and increase spending culture in the end user(our culture is saving culture and US culture is spending culture. I am proud to be a man with saving culture)

Last edited by gkveda : 21st February 2021 at 17:08.
gkveda is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 17:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

I will be honest, I voted frameless purely based on the exterior appearance . I have had satisfactory usage from both types, so at the end of the day, it is just for a neat and clean look, that I went with the frameless ones. The standard (frame one) also loses paint here and there after a while. Besides all premium cars come with frameless.
Should I pay more for frameless wipers?-frameles-vs-frame.png
(image source : Google images)
TrackDay is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 18:29   #5
BANNED

On my Creta (D:26" & P:16"), I have used both traditional ones and frameless ones.

Traditional wiper set: Bosch ECO (~1.5 years)
Frameless wiper set: DHC (~1.5 years)

In terms of performance, I haven't found any difference but looks-wise, frameless is cleaner but is slightly raised in terms of height compared to the traditional one.

Cost is the major factor since the frameless ones range between ₹700-₹1000 whereas traditional ones are between ₹250-₹400.

I change the blades every year so cost is what I look at rather than appearance as the performance from both are the same.
a4anurag is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 23:17   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Should I pay more for frameless wipers?

I have used both on a variety of cars. I have found that the frameless are next useless at high speed. You go anywhere over 120-130 km / h and they just stop working all together. Those sort of speeds are still possible here in Europe.

So I am sticking to good old proper old fashioned wipers only.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (27) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 23:51   #7
BHPian

Changed to frameless as got it for just £5 a piece from Wilko. Didn't find it expensive and it looked splendid. Hugs the windshield. Not the best when it comes to durability though.

Last edited by Jeep : 21st February 2021 at 23:53. Reason: Clarity
Old 22nd February 2021, 07:46   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I don't remember the last time I bought wipers from outside. I stick with whatever the OEM setup is, and change the blades every 1 - 2 years when the car goes for its annual service.

Quote:
the price difference is almost 2-3x for these compared to the usual. You can find these for almost any vehicle on Amazon / eBay. I have never been unhappy with the normal framed wipers but I guess I dont know what I am missing?
Definitely not. You answered the question yourself. This is one of those things you'll only notice at the time of purchase, and then forget about it.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 08:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

The replacement frameless wipers on my Nexon from the dealership is a disappointment. Factory ones were great, and lasted 3 years. These are causing streaks in the first few months itself. Are there different levels of quality between OEM and dealer issued, when Brand (BOSCH) and type (AERO) are the same?
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 08:47   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I have seen others install them with varying degree of success, there is a Delphi frameless with silicone rubber blades that wiped the windshield very effectively and quietly but it did not last much longer than the normal Bosch Eco. During heavy rains it leaves the edges smeared, not good at night.

I don't want to experiment with frameless wipers because I think it's going to put additional load on the wiper motor and linkages, not a good idea. Bosch Eco metal frame is cheap, works well for my yearly replacement.
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:27   #11
BHPian

Voted for frameless wipers. My car (Fiat Linea) came with frameless wipers and I have done like for like replacements. I don’t know what it would be like with traditional wipers as I have neither used them in my car, nor driven any distance with them in the rains.

Aesthetically, I like frameless wipers and functionally, I am happy with them.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th April 2021 at 06:39. Reason: Language errors
daretodream is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd February 2021, 04:51   #12
BHPian

Frameless and hybrid wipers are mostly used in cold weather climates. When snow, water or ice gets stuck inside hinges and joints of the framed wipers, and when the temperature gets further dropped, it breaks the frames and the rubber inserts. Because when water freezes into ice, it expands.

In Indian context (most of us don't get snow) however, framed ones are enough. Other than that, when people say frameless or hybrid ones are better than framed wipers, that's mostly due to the quality of the materials used but not because of the design. Aesthetically, on the other hand, to each his own.

Personally, I'd stick to OEM-style replacements.
vikred is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 10:45   #13
BHPian

Have been using frameless on both my vehicles and replacing when they need to be as opposed to time bound. Nothing different other than looks and the price difference was quite minimal. Amazon has some good sellers for this market and it has worked out well.

Front windshield wipers ( a pair) have cost me under $20 - which is comparable to what I would have spent at Costco for the same pair albeit non-frameless.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 10:54   #14
BHPian

I have been using frameless wipers in my KUV100 from 3 years and still going good. The OEM lasted only for a year, then shifted to frameless wipers.

I feel frameless wipers have more life than the framed one, but also it depends on where the car is parked. I believe that wipers doesn't last long if the car is parked in open sun for a long periods.
TM_Turbo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 11:02   #15
BHPian

Frame-less wipers are very good when driving in heavy monsoon. The normal wipers have blades with low height. In heavy rain, water spills over the blade of normal wiper and the water comes in through the web mechanism to ward the glass while wiping.

When the frame-less ones sweep, the water pass through the thick wiper blade and jets out of the ends.

For normal rains and drizzles, both wipers work ok. But if it is cloud burst kind of situation(like in Kerala), its always frame-less for those highway rides. One more added benefit is the looks and less wind drag at high speeds!
Sedate is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks