Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2007, 16:27   #1
BHPian

Palio - Front head lamps getting fogged

I have seen many PALIOs with front headlamps fogged,I mean filled with water vapours after a rain or wash.Its due to leaking of water into the headlamps..But puzzled about the reason for this happening in palios.And I heard from the workshop that , only answer to this is a new headlights...Can I find anyone to throw some light on this??? If its the right headlamp in my car...its left headlamps in my friends.
Old 23rd April 2007, 17:10   #2
Team-BHP Support

Its not too specific. The cover for the headlights where the bulb seats is the culprit. If you ever open it, make sure that you fix it back properly. Thats the only way to avoid this problem. Touch wood, I haven't had issues with this on my car.
Old 23rd April 2007, 17:15   #3
BHPian

It usually happens if any of the plastic clips which holds the headlamps to the body has cracked or is broken so the headlight compartment is not sealed properly and is exposed to elements and hence fogging.
Old 23rd April 2007, 18:21   #4
BHPian

@moralfibre ...Well , I have checked that its fixed properly after changing the bulbs..Even the mechanic from FIAT service center too had an xamination on that..He suggested me to change the whole unit ,and he too agreed with me that its turning out to be a common problem. Dont know whether that has got something to do with the climate of kerala.
Old 23rd April 2007, 19:53   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by roopakr View Post
@moralfibre ...Well , I have checked that its fixed properly after changing the bulbs..Even the mechanic from FIAT service center too had an xamination on that..He suggested me to change the whole unit ,and he too agreed with me that its turning out to be a common problem. Dont know whether that has got something to do with the climate of kerala.
No no, it doesn't have something to do with the climate of Kerala. It happened in the climate of Pune too lol!

Fellow member Determinus owns a Palio 1.6 GTX since 2003 and he drove it for 23000 kms without a headlight bulb change until he got blinded a few million times by oncoming traffic and decided to give them back. He never had a problem with water entering the headlight assembly. We got bulbs upgraded from a local accessory store and at the next car wash, water entered his headlight assembly. A DIY at home solution is to open the covers of the assemblies. Take some big pieces of plastic and put it between the cap of each bulb and the mount. This works and I have tried and tested it. Let me know how it goes.

And lastly, this is known problem and chronic in Fiats!
Old 23rd April 2007, 22:50   #6
BHPian

Even i had the problem 2nd day after i got my palio. They replaced it that time for no cost but again it appeared after 6 months. On pointing it during service, they said it is a damage and company is not responsible. I have been living with it since then. Not worth changing because no garantee it will not happen again on 2nd day and you end up blowing so much money.
Old 23rd April 2007, 23:21   #7
DRC
BHPian

Lessons from my experience...
Palio/Petra has 2 covers behind the bulbs. 1 for L.beam, Turn indicator and Parking lights and one for the high beam.

Both of them have rubber gaskets. The Low beam one also has a small L shaped pipe stuck with a tiny air filter.

Now the problem you have mentioned is common because of lack of knowledge at the service station.

To solve.
Open the black covers and dry out the existing moisture inside the sealed beam asembly. Best way to do this is to roll some paper towel like a pencil and insert into the assembly gently to absorb all the moisture. be careful not to drop the paper inside the assembly.

Clean the cover gasket thouroughly and also the seating on the head light assembly to get rid of any mud or debris.

Carefully put back the rear covers and put on the clips. Ensure they are seated properly. Low beam covers are tricky to put on.

Also, ensure that L shaped filter is in place and pointed down wards.

Usual causes for this issue are ...
When you wash the car or when it rains, water seeps into the head lights either through the gasket or through wrongly assembled/misplaced little airfilter.
Old 24th April 2007, 00:02   #8
BHPian

Similar experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
Even i had the problem 2nd day after i got my palio. They replaced it that time for no cost but again it appeared after 6 months. On pointing it during service, they said it is a damage and company is not responsible. I have been living with it since then. Not worth changing because no garantee it will not happen again on 2nd day and you end up blowing so much money.
My adventure also had this problem, very acute that they changed instantly. Another palio parked there also had slight problem. Since then even after heavy rains and wash no problems.

Last edited by swathyd : 24th April 2007 at 00:03. Reason: addition
Old 24th April 2007, 00:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Happened with my alto to. I took it to a local garage they opened it and just blow it and it was as good as new

they total me its normal in old car
they advised me change the headlamps which i am going to do shortly
Old 24th April 2007, 12:45   #10
BHPian

@DRC...Thats a good piece of Info.Let me try that and will let you know.
Old 4th June 2008, 14:46   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
Lessons from my experience...
Palio/Petra has 2 covers behind the bulbs. 1 for L.beam, Turn indicator and Parking lights and one for the high beam.

Both of them have rubber gaskets. The Low beam one also has a small L shaped pipe stuck with a tiny air filter.

Now the problem you have mentioned is common because of lack of knowledge at the service station.

To solve.
Open the black covers and dry out the existing moisture inside the sealed beam asembly. Best way to do this is to roll some paper towel like a pencil and insert into the assembly gently to absorb all the moisture. be careful not to drop the paper inside the assembly.

Clean the cover gasket thouroughly and also the seating on the head light assembly to get rid of any mud or debris.

Carefully put back the rear covers and put on the clips. Ensure they are seated properly. Low beam covers are tricky to put on.

Also, ensure that L shaped filter is in place and pointed down wards.

Usual causes for this issue are ...
When you wash the car or when it rains, water seeps into the head lights either through the gasket or through wrongly assembled/misplaced little airfilter.
I got my Palio S10 serviced last week,and since then right headlamp is getting fogged.I'm going to try above mentioned things.But there are too much water vapours on glass.What is the best way to dry it.
Old 4th June 2008, 15:53   #12
BHPian

my car's tail lamp get filled with water almost all the time whenever the car goes for servicing & cleaning.
Old 4th June 2008, 16:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

my GTX's RHS HL remains foggy throughout the day - but it disappears every morning - the bulb holder is the culprit for sure becase the RHS low beam always "shakes" with the slightest jerks. only the low beam part gets foggy.

any idea how much does a new assembly cost?

please see the following thread as well: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post854007
Old 4th June 2008, 17:03   #14
BHPian

I too have the same problem on the LHS light assembly. Thanks DRC, will surely try this at home.

As I heard, the cost of the new assembly would be close to 1.5-1.7K in Bangalore.
Old 4th June 2008, 18:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

For those of you who have problems with water / water vapour in your out of warranty Palio, kindly go through the following post. The quoted portion is the first part and the main message is an addon.

This is only for 'Do It Yourself' type of people. If you have a neighbour hood mechanic who will listen to you, he also could do it for you.

Yahoo! Groups

The info is courtesy drpullockaran who put this in the Yahoo Palio User's group.

Hope this is of use!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks