Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2008, 08:15   #106
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
I just got a free-flow exhaust installed a week ago, and I had asked for a low to mid rpm power enhancement. Strangely, with the new free-flow whatever little juddering problems I used to have are now gone. My clutch is now 12,000 km old (changed it at 25,000 km as the judder was getting quite bad).
Hey Siddharth,

That may be cause I adjusted the clutch free play which I did not feel was right before.

Viper
Old 4th September 2008, 12:24   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
@evilshantanu

I'm not the expert here, but I've seen service guys doing this to check the clutch.

start engine > clutch > 3rd gear > release as usual

-stalls (good)
-shudders and keep going (bad)

Experts ,please is this any good ?
does this gonna work? i had smoke comin out off the hood(baleno) other day when i was tryion to reverse my car in a steep -does this mean my clutch needs a change? any way i am gonna try this today.
Old 4th September 2008, 16:26   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post

Tech Gurus:

Is it advisable to get the clutch assembly changed nowitself or we can run till we can manage. I do not want to end up replacing lot other stuffs due to prolonged running with these jerks.

ps: as mentioned earlier, i have been managing with these jerks in 1st gear at heavy traffics for the past 12000 kms
I need some tech guys help here. Planning to get it changed, if reqd, during my next service
Old 4th September 2008, 18:29   #109
BHPian

I don't know about the swift, but yes my SX4 was recalled in Dec last year to replace the clutch assembly under warranty. Although there wasn't any difference in performance, the car was a lot smoother to drive and largely jerk-free from what it used to be earlier. Note that the SX4 was launched only in May last year, so ot was more of a recall, not really the weak clutch problem.
Old 4th September 2008, 20:35   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Tech Gurus:

Is it advisable to get the clutch assembly changed nowitself or we can run till we can manage. I do not want to end up replacing lot other stuffs due to prolonged running with these jerks.

ps: as mentioned earlier, i have been managing with these jerks in 1st gear at heavy traffics for the past 12000 kms
Firstly, get your clutch play checked. If that is ok, then you need to change your clutch....your pressure plates are on their way out.
Old 2nd October 2008, 01:38   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Clutch plate worn out means slipping, i.e. engine revs increase but car does not go any faster.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
I have the same problem when the AC is on and sometimes in 2nd gear without AC, the revs increase but the car do not go any faster for a few seconds and then rips. I feel the car movement is released after a few seconds even with AC on and off. Is this a clutch problem?

I took this to Mondovi Motors in JP Nagar. An advisor test drove it and said there is no problem with the clutch but I am not satisfied as this doesnt happen on other swifts. I bought this swift from their truevalue outlet 2 weeks ago. 13K on odo and 11 months old!

Need advise
Old 2nd October 2008, 05:18   #112
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi99 View Post
I have the same problem when the AC is on and sometimes in 2nd gear without AC, the revs increase but the car do not go any faster for a few seconds and then rips. I feel the car movement is released after a few seconds even with AC on and off. Is this a clutch problem?
Ordinarily AC should have the other effect... as its drawing power straight from the engine it would theoretically leave less power for the transmission through the clutch... so the clutch should slip less with AC on.

Sometimes with AC (specially when you switch on the AC after a while) the engines/AC tends be louder than usual.... and gives a feeling of revvs going higher than they actually are. Suggest you confirm the revvs with your Tacho...

My WagonR gives that feeling at times (with a NEW clutch).... but in lower (1st - and rarely 2nd) gears only.... and if it was a clutch problem it would have been more evident at higher speeds.....

Last edited by SLK : 2nd October 2008 at 05:22.
Old 2nd October 2008, 10:41   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
How long does the warranty on the clutch last?
Is it one year or more?

Hi carboy,

Maruti does not offer any warranty on the clutch plates.
I have checked with them.
However, if you have a good relationship with the MASS you might get some discount.

Regards,
SS
Old 3rd October 2008, 01:27   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Ordinarily AC should have the other effect... as its drawing power straight from the engine it would theoretically leave less power for the transmission through the clutch... so the clutch should slip less with AC on.

Sometimes with AC (specially when you switch on the AC after a while) the engines/AC tends be louder than usual.... and gives a feeling of revvs going higher than they actually are. Suggest you confirm the revvs with your Tacho...

My WagonR gives that feeling at times (with a NEW clutch).... but in lower (1st - and rarely 2nd) gears only.... and if it was a clutch problem it would have been more evident at higher speeds.....
Thank you SLK, I took it to many guys (local garages and the ride was without AC) and they said there is no problem with the clutch and Swift behaves that way! Low torque (pull) is weak in swift. The accelator is a heavy. How do I improve it? Change the air filter for initial/low end torque? If yes, which air filter? KnN conical, Green cotton, Pipercross viper/venom carbon fibre, KnN Appollo...man! so many options and many reviews (I know ).

Swift owners please advise...
Old 3rd October 2008, 10:22   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi carboy,

Maruti does not offer any warranty on the clutch plates.
I have checked with them.
However, if you have a good relationship with the MASS you might get some discount.

Regards,
SS

..& if you have excellent relationship, you might get the clutch replaced for free like I did. But the clutch is a peice of s**t in Swift, at least in petrol version. Mine clutch has given way second time, in 50K kms.

Its not that I have a habit of ridding the clutch. My M800 did 1.5 lac kms before i sold it. Clutch replaced only once at 1.1 lac kms.

Last edited by akash_m : 3rd October 2008 at 10:28.
Old 7th October 2008, 12:31   #116
BHPian

Swift - LDI - Clutch Burnout @ 15000km!

Its is hard to understand how the clutch could burn out at 15000km in less than a year? The problem started when the clutch felt very weak and changing gears became difficult.

My father quickly took the car to the dealer - MANDOVI Motors - Mangalore to get the issue rectified. They quoted a figure of about 3500Rs for fixing this issue though the car is under warranty.

My pop calls me and address the problem which quickly reminds me of reading similar gearbox/clutch issues on tbhp. I go through the articles and come to the conclusion that there are threads which speak about a relatively weaker clutch.

My father has owned several cars in the past and I don't think that he is a habitual half clutch driver. The problem now is that the dealer says that this can not be covered under warranty.

We've got the car back from the dealer after paying about 4250Rs and the car is just fine.

I called the manager there Mr. R. Bhat and he refused to accept this under warranty. He also claimed that couple of weeks earlier, under similar issues, MUL had returned back a burnt out clutch with a letter saying that it was a driver error. He also claimed that if he had returns the clutch to MUL for warranty claim and inspection, it would take 3 months for the whole process to complete!!! Talk about A.S.S!!!

The primary reason why we went for a Maruti was for their A.S.S. Not because we genuinely love this sheet metal melody car. I do agree that the car has a lot plus points but I am not too convinced about its longevity. This incident is making us believe that MUL A.S.S is very ordinary afterall.

Last edited by sushanthr77 : 7th October 2008 at 12:33.
Old 7th October 2008, 13:02   #117
Senior - BHPian

Try taking this vehicle to another dealership. If they refuse, then you have no other option but follow the below:

1) Try threatning him with consumer complaint. He may oblige.
2) If he does not oblige, then you will be left out with no other choice but to lodge a consumer complaint.

It may take some time for deciding the case, but in this case, the judgement will have to be in your favour.
Old 7th October 2008, 13:11   #118
Team-BHP Support

Clutch is not covered under warranty, its explicitly mentioned all over the manual/warranty cards. Its a dealer discretion and they only can help.

Its one of those parts which is very hard to determine for a defect or user abuse.

On the other hand am relieve its not that expensive a bill, can you get the details of the bill/parts changed please?
Old 7th October 2008, 13:24   #119
BHPian

I wasn't aware that the clutch isn't covered warranty. Thanks for bring this out. However, I am not sure why the dealer never said this!

Yes, you are right, the total cost is relatively reasonable and the car was at the dealer only for a day. However, I am not too impressed with the way they give out information.

The clutch now seems to be a week link in the car. I wonder if MUL is aware of these rare failures.
Old 7th October 2008, 13:34   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Try taking this vehicle to another dealership. If they refuse, then you have no other option
He has already got it fixed and paid for it.

Sushant: Please do put up the bill components.

What exactly is done in a clutch overhaul ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks