Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2009, 13:46   #46
Senior - BHPian

gemi, i guess mycar has similar issue.

Went on long drive beginning of this month and found decrese in power and also the car use to jerk while releasing the gear.

I guess the clutch needs some work and also the service guys had told the one of my rear brake cylinder was leaking..

Yet to get them fixed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Off late i have been experencing a mileage drop. THe last time i did a highway trip i got back and F.E of only around 9. THis is almost the same F.E that i am getting in City. Earlier i easily used to get around 13-15 on highways that too speeds around 100km/hr. THis time i maintained aroud 60-80 km/hr.

Some observations on behaviour.
- Clutch is really hard.
- The car jerks once in a while. There is no real pattern for this. While accelerating, the car just jerks for 3-4 times and then its normal. THis mostly happens when i am accelerating and taking a right turn together. Once in a while it happens on straight road acceleration also.
- Not sure if this is pshycological but i feel the car does not attain higher speeds (above 80) as easily as it used to. Earlier reaching 100 would take no time but now for anything above 80 i have to really try.

Any one has had simmilar experience? What could this be. Is there a problem?
Old 28th April 2009, 21:11   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Is there a way to know if the lambda sensor is working perfectly?

@Gemi, attached below is an image containing the test specifications and procedure for the Lambda sensor on the 1.6 engine. This test is to find out if the heater element of the Lambda sensor is working correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Missing on Fiat Adventure-04282009.jpg  

Last edited by vipul_singh : 28th April 2009 at 21:23.
Old 28th April 2009, 21:30   #48
BHPian

Sorry for the back-to-back posts, but I could not ensure that the attached images would align correctly.

The image below is the characteristic curve of the Lambda sensor on the 1.6 engine. Sorry about the image quality. The numbers on top are .995 and 1.005. So the output to the ECU should be in this range, once the sensor has attained its operating temperature
Attached Thumbnails
Missing on Fiat Adventure-04282009001.jpg  

Last edited by vipul_singh : 28th April 2009 at 21:32.
Old 9th May 2009, 11:37   #49

I had the same issue in my Fiat Adventure Sport 1.6 in the initial 18 months of ownership (owning since Aug-05).

The engine used to miss a beat when at 3rd or 4th gear, at 1200-1400 rpm, in a mild slope (eg getting on a flyover, in a typical city relaxed driving where one is not working at a lower rpm); it does not happen at higher rpms.
This was not a sure shot concern everytime, and sometimes I found it depending on a particular fuel fill.
This was resolved fully after the throttle body was replaced.

However sometime back (15-20 days back) the fuel pump was replaced, and then the issue came back sometimes, initially, the Tata guys had charged me for cleaning the throttle body though. Then after 2-3 fillings it again seem to have disappeared.

May be the car would love to be in the rising spots of the torque curve at slopes which is beyond 1500 rpm.

Also have you guys experienced a sudden rubbing noise in the rear? I was doing the stretch between Pune_Ahmednagar at around 100/120, and had 5 people in the rear besides, a full boot. Whenever there were undulations in the highway (not a speed breaker/pothole but more because of the highway construction), the car normally rocks, however now am getting to hear a rubbing noise both from left and ride rear body whenever there is such rocking. It never happened at around 80/90.

Vaskar Nag
Old 9th May 2009, 11:42   #50
Senior - BHPian

Have been checking mileage in city for the last 3 times and i am getting around 8.5-9kml. THis is almost the same that i used to get whent he car was new. I used to get close to 10 when my tyres were completely worn out. So since i have put new tyres i think 8-9 in city is ok.

But then why did i get only 9-9.5 on highway driving? The mild jerking problem is also there particularly when i am taking a right turn on small slopes.
Old 9th May 2009, 22:00   #51
BHPian

About Lamba sensor.
Aren't they standardised ones. I suppose they are third party items.
So can't we use a lambda sensor from some other reputed brand (BOSCH, if at all they make).
And also the original Lamda Sensor of my Adventure was of Tyco make. But he replaced one wasnt having any make mark on it.
Old 9th May 2009, 22:25   #52
Senior - BHPian

I am also facing a similar issue in my Palio 1.2 ELX... the service center people have suggested to replace the fuel pump.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...o-1-2-elx.html

Advice me on same guys as a new one costs 12k's!
Old 11th May 2009, 08:55   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am also facing a similar issue in my Palio 1.2 ELX... the service center people have suggested to replace the fuel pump.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...o-1-2-elx.html

Advice me on same guys as a new one costs 12k's!
I think there is something called a fuel pressure regulator. Get it checked.

Here is another thing i had cut and paste somewhere from an old mail on PUG

"Sometime back I reported a problem of car being sluggish in 1st and 2nd
gears. Finally, the TVS guys in Trivandrum were able to identify and
solve the problem. The culprit was a worn out bearing in the timing
assembly. It was changed along with the timing belt and the tensioner at
a cost of 3.5K.

Their explanation was that when the engine gets loaded in the lower
gears, the bearing gets jammed and the timing goes for a toss. "

Last edited by gemithomas : 11th May 2009 at 09:02.
Old 11th May 2009, 21:23   #54
BHPian

dunno about fiats but in ikons this problem is inevitably isolated to the ignition coil/card wires. not sure if anyones mentioned it but you can check it yourself with a multimeter.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks