Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2021, 14:38   #16
BHPian

Re: VW Goofup : MID only shows speed warning & nothing else at 80 kmph

I agree with OP, the restriction of the MID to display 80 after crossing the speed is excessive to the audible warning already in place. I too find it annoying in my Polo and I am waiting to get it removed as soon as I find someone to do it here. The biggest hamper here is when it comes to setting the cruise control speed, it is quite annoying when I want to set it at 110-119kmph and I have to do a trial and error experiment to find the speeds before the 120kmph beep starts drilling a hole in my brain.

P.S. I don't think it's too much to ask of any driver to be able to concentrate on the road and to be able to cursorily glance at the MID at speeds of 80. If someone can be distracted by glancing at the MID they can be distracted irrespective of the speed.
KA19Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 16:05   #17
BHPian

If I know correctly this dashboard is decade old system and probably considered as legacy system in VW group. If that is the case, then no engineer would dare to change the existing implementation. Easiest solution would be finding the existing/similar feature and modifying it to cover new use case. And that's what they did.

Only thing I'd see as useful in that MID while going at 80kmph is the fuel indicator. Does time change when warning is on? If so, fuel indicator also should be working fine.
prajwalmr62 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 16:39   #18
RMN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVash View Post
I am sorry if I came out to be rude towards you but there is a speed warning regulation in place now.
They have had a provision for limiting speeds and they are using it but IMHO it should be raised to 120 km/h as that's the point when you cannot afford to take your eyes off the road
Hey no issues buddy. I was just trying to say that even if some people are okay with this implementation, many wouldn't be. Especially because this looks more like an oversight by VW. They still allow you to operate the ICE, removes physical buttons in favor on touch screen and their new virtual cockpits dont restrict information or operation - in fact it has much more features including navigation! All much dangerous. So this feels like an oversight but its too late for them to do anything about it though.
RMN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 18:58   #19
BHPian

80kmph warning chime is acceptable as some states have a speed limit of 80 on some highways, but the MID getting fully stuck on the warning seems a bit too much IMO. Maybe on 120kmph , it seems more reasonable atleast.
The best option might be to go the VCDS way itself, but the dealer finding out is a risk and can make a reason for voiding the warranty. If lucky, the dealer won't even notice it as they didn't even understand what you were asking them to fix in the first place
CountryDriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 19:21   #20
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

An annoyance indeed. VW/Skoda should remove the permanent visual warning feature.

Imagine driving 550 km from Delhi to Lucknow via the E-ways with no information on the display other than a speed limit exceeded warning for the 7hr duration.

MID information like range, avg FE, cruise speed and trip/odo meter reading is absolutely necessary on long drives for me and I too would make a hue and cry if my car manufacturer stole that from me.
Tgo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 21:21   #21
BHPian

Mine is a Oct 13 batch Polo. In the MID you can set the desired speed limit which when breached notifies with a chime and the set speed flashes for 15-20 times in the MID. While it is flashing the rocker button on the wiper stalk which is used to toggle between modes does not work. Only after the flashing stops which is even if I am beyond the set speed limit, the rocker button resumes function. But if I want to stop the flashing midway and resume normal MID function, I have to press the round button placed on the underside of the wiper stalk.
I do find the variable speed limiter setting useful, as I can configure it while in city or highway. But yes, the flashing is a bit annoying at times when there are multiple times you breach the speed limits by 2-3 kmph (mostly while overtaking) and then again return below the set speed.
Wanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 21:30   #22
BHPian

Hi, I own a Polo GT TSI as well. This is not a bug and it is present in my car as well. The Vento TSI also have it, my test drive car too had it. My friend's Polo have it too.

This is definitely not a deal breaker in any scenario. At speeds over 80, you shall concentrate on the road and not on these kind of readings. The analogue meter console as well as the fuel gauge will still work nonetheless. That's all you need while going at high speeds. The major purpose of all these to make you alert that you are over speeding and to reduce the speed if possible.

On a different note, this can be removed by playing with the OBD. But in that case, VW may not honour the warranty.
igemini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 22:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

I do not think this is a bug. This is how the thing is designed in many European cars. I have been living with one for more than a decade.

In FIAT Grande Punto and Linea as an example, there is a programmable speed limit system that gives audible warning when the set speed limit is breached. Works from 35kmph IIRC to 180kmph.

When the speed warning system is activated, it takes over the entire MID to display the warning. In case of FIATs though, the warning disappears after 5-7 seconds.

In your cases, based on Chirag’s video, I don’t see this to be an issue since the real time speed (analog needle based), tachometer are still showing the respective data. One can always reduce speed for a few seconds to access the rest of the data such as DTE, FE etc.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 25th July 2021 at 22:22.
PaddleShifter is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 07:42   #24
BHPian

Contrary to most replies here, I prefer and welcome this in my new Rapid. The car is so dead silent inside the cabin that had it not been for the aucostic warnings / locking up of the MID, I would not have realised what speed I am doing.

Most of us who decided to buy a Skoda / VW did so considering the solid build quality and safety of the car compared to its peers. Now, when the manufacturer proactively added an additional safety measure, why are we referring to it as a bug and discussing ways to disable it?
Old 26th July 2021, 10:49   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureshmadhan View Post
When I cross 80 kmph speed, you get a alarm chime which is mandatory as per govt rules. However the MID displays only 80 kmph and I cant see any other information like DTE, Mileage, Engine running time, etc. It is in a state of locked situation and I have reduce the speed to glance through those other information which is of interest.
Have you tried pressing the 'OK' button on the right spoke of the steering wheel? In my 2014 GT TSI (now sold), pressing the 'OK' button would dismiss all current MID messages. It would also work for the configurable speed alarm.
Ponkermania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 18:13   #26
BHPian

I have a bs6 polo and it's a small vcds tweak to remove the chime at 80 and 120 and also the display. You can also get a lot more options on the MID using the tweaks such as real time efficiency etc. Also when you are at it get the universal central unlocking changed to driver only and the needle swipe if you fancy it. You can also put off the seat belt reminders and turn on horn sound when you lock/unlock the car. Just get hold of a VW expert in your place.
HYPERTOURER is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 16:13   #27
BHPian

Though I don't own a VW car, I also observed the same thing as yours when I was driving the Polo 1.0 MPI BS6 on the ORR, which was bought a year ago by a client of ours, and when I was trying to see the Kms range while driving, the MID simply refused to show it.

Hope, it's a common issue in the recent batch of VW/Skoda vehicles
car_guy1998 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 16:41   #28
BHPian

Its a passive safety feature and I am fine with it. At high speeds its risky to toggle the MID. And as long as the fuel/speedo/tacho display working without any other warning lights, I can enjoy my drive till 120km/hr after which the speed alarm gets pretty intrusive.
purb_du is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 11:45   #29
BHPian

Agree with the OP.
It's not a glitch, it's VW being a bunch of knuckleheads.

Sure you don't need to see a lot of information when you are driving above 80kph, but what if I want to set the cruise at 90kph, which is the allowed speed on a majority of our roads?
This stupid implementation ensures I can't do that. I can't drive past 80kph and then set the cruise.
I am not sure if the system will let me set the cruise speed at a value above 80kph when I am travelling at a speed lesser than 80kph. Need to try it out.

Also, what if I want to check the engine temperature?
Don't see why I can't be above 80kph and not want to know this information?
Old 31st July 2021, 19:22   #30

This is a feature that has been enforced by the Government for all car manufactures for cars made post May-June of 2019. Every car will show up the 80kmph warning in the MID at different locations.

My Polo GT TSI facelift although not a BS-VI, but was manufactured post June 2019 has the MID warning displayed. It will also chime once every minute post between 80-119kmph, post 120, the beeping sound will be on continuously, although the MID will show 80.

You'll still be able to use cruise control features post 80kmph and it will work (car will increase / decrease speed), but yes the MID will not show any other display till the time you come below 80kmph. In-case engine becomes hot, there are other indicators in the dash that will light-up, indicating other issues.

My uncle owns a Honda city that was manufactured post July 2019 as well, the 80kmph warning is displayed in the top right corner in small font (Not in the center of the MID like VW and does not remove other visible options), but its there, along with the warning chime.

No dealer will willingly unlock it, however there are other ways you can disable it. All you need is VCDS cable and the software or ODBEleven and know what settings to tweak. In-case you do, this might cause warranty issues in-case your car runs into any issues, so a word of warning (As VW is very sensitive when it comes to such things)
n4rayan.jagdish is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks