Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2021, 15:43   #1

VW Goofup : MID only shows speed warning & nothing else at 80 kmph

Hello all,

Warm greetings!!!
I am a newbie to this great community of auto enthusiasts. I am super excited to be interacting with many like minded people in this community. This will make me stay energetic and my love for cars and 2 wheelers will not tapper.

I own a BS6 GT TSI. This machine is the top pick for any auto enthusiast. Perhaps I had zeroed down with this little hot hatch based on few criteria.

1. Powerful engine
2. Automatic transmission (with Hill hold)
3. Handling
4. Safety.
5. Build quality

Two compromises which I did was

1. Rear leg room space
2. Low slung ingress and egress for my dad who is in early 70s.

In the automatics there were very little options with hill hold feature

1. DZIRE
2. AMAZE CVT (brochure does not mention this specifically but CVTs can hold inclines)

Dzire was off due to its safety but now I feel its a very good package.
Amaze was off due to the looks and ingress and egress was even lower. The boot was large and I am sure if the boot swallows more luggage, the car tends to be very closer to ground and may take a hit on its belly.

This pandemic and lockdowns has given me very little space to be behind the wheels. Once I had to take for a long distance drive on my GTTSI and I found a peculiar issue. When I cross 80 kmph speed, you get a alarm chime which is mandatory as per govt rules. However the MID displays only 80 kmph and I cant see any other information like DTE, Mileage, Engine running time, etc. It is in a state of locked situation and I have reduce the speed to glance through those other information which is of interest. This is something I am sure will be in all BS6 VW SKODA cars.

I had reported this issue to VW and my local dealer CRM. I shared a video (attached) explaining the issue. Initially the Dealer did not take this issue seriously. After a reference number to my complaint was taken from VW, then I saw CRM writing emails and calling me to have a looks at the problem. Apparently, I had the regular 6 month check and dealer CRM mentioned that team will look into this issue and let me know.

The day had come for service and car was taken for service. I repeated the same story of the issue to the Service Advisor as well. During my mid check point call, SA mentioned that the vehicle is scanned for any issue. At that point of time I was pretty sure that they did not understand the issue. The SA towards the evening was mentioning that usually this alarm comes and this is as per govt laws. As again I had to explain the issue again. SA requested that he may need to hold the car for one more day. I gave a nod with half mind.

Next day people were clueless and it was sounding as if they are hitting a roadblock to fix the issue. I asked the SA to send back the car, incase the issue wont be fixed in the short term. In the mean time, I had sent an email to VW referring the complaint number that my car is in service center and requested them to put attention.

The email goes like this

Hello,

This is in continuation of my feedback bearing request number CCR07329764 on July 2nd. Please note that my car is in the workshop for the 6 month checkup. Let me reiterate the issue here so that you could support the service centre as well for fixing this issue.

In BS6 cars, there is a speed limit alarm provided at 80,100 and 120kmph. When the car crosses 80kmph, the MID displays only 80kmph and I can't toggle to see the correct speed, DTE, Time of travel, Temperature,etc. Basically the MID becomes non-functional. I believe that these information can be displayed to the driver through the MID, despite crossing the 80Kmph speed. Please provide a fix to correct this issue at the earliest.

Thanks to xxxxx for the support rendered so far.

Best regards,

After this email, The CRM had replied me back keeping some VW email ids in copy.

"Dear Sir,

Greetings from xxxxxxxx.

This is in reference to your concern that the Data in Multi function display is unable to change while driving above 80 KMPH.

According to VW norms, The Multi function display won’t work if any warning message is displayed while the vehicle is in running condition. If the vehicle crosses 80 KMPH, a single acoustic warning will come and if Vehicle crosses 120 KMPH speed a permanent acoustic sound will come.

While the warning message is displayed in the Multi function display, the Driving Data Display won’t work in order to concentrate on driving at higher speeds which was designed for safety measures by VW.

The same was mentioned in the VW manual, images attached for your reference. Please be assured that the performance of your vehicle is meeting all the parameters of Volkswagen and your vehicle is in roadworthy condition.

We request you not to have any apprehension about our product and services.

In case of any further assistance, please feel free to get in touch with us.

Assuring you our best services.

Thanks & Regards

The attached snapshot of the manual is not straight forward.

I had replied back as below

"Thanks for responding....however, I don't see the point of locking the display. Government norms if I am correct did not mention to lock the display showing the details. Perhaps, only warning was to be issued. It would make sense to lock the display if the speed crosses 120kmph. Please note I own other brand BS6 car and I don't see this happening. You may consider to put customers point of view first and empower to enjoy the full potential of the vehicle within the safety standards. Hope to hear from you soon"

Best Regards"

It appears that VW is not taking this as a BUG and that they wanted more number of complaints to roll out a fix. I had seen a Youtube video where one of the owner has indicated this issue which is not yet fixed. I have a BS6 AURA Turbo and I dont have this issue. The buzzer in Aura is way loud and annoying but it shows the real time information.

Now that I would like to take opinion on the issue itself and I don't see the point in having the MID showing only 80kmph.

I would like if anybody in the community is having the same issue and had it fixed? Perhaps there are ways to fix by the OBD port function but this may void the warranties.

Is there any strategy to shake VW more so that they provide an official fix?

Apologies for the video quality as I was in travelling in bumpy road when dealer CRM was asking for the video.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Goofup : MID only shows speed warning & nothing else at 80 kmph-bs6-mannual-1.jpeg  

VW Goofup : MID only shows speed warning & nothing else at 80 kmph-bs6-mannual-ii.jpeg  

Attached Files
File Type: rar Video.rar (8.19 MB, 67 views)
Sureshmadhan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 10:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Goofup : MID only shows speed warning & nothing else at 80 kmph

For member's one-click convenience, here is your video uploaded to YouTube:

ChiragM is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 11:25   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Your meter console should show you speed and fuel level at all times, which in this case I think it does (video is a shaky).

If it is showing you speed and fuel level, then it is perhaps not a bug.
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 11:38   #4
BHPian

VW have included that visual warning with the audio speed warning chime which can be seen on most VW's/Skoda's after the BS6 update. It can be removed easily through a VCDs tweak if you want. VW ASS won't do it though, you may have to approach a FNG or a tuner who have access to VCDs.

Caution: VW may/may not void your warranty.
adityarobb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 11:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

This is a known issue with the Polo/Vento/ Rapid.

The MID originally had a user configurable speed alarm which can be set anywhere from 30 kmph to 250 kmph. Once the car crosses that set limit, the MID will only show the speed exceeded sign in the MID, just like the video. The other parameters will be locked out.

When the govt rule came into force, the dudes at VW made a shoddy implementation, for which minimum work was required- basically implement a permanent alarm from 80 kmph.

I am not sure if the same occurs in the new Kushaq.

The only solution is to go to a local tuner and remove the speed alarm completely. I believe even VCDS can also be used to remove the speed warning.
Turbohead is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 13:38   #6
BHPian

You can argue if VW/Skoda are forcing an inconvenience on you in the name of safety feature but it is definitely not a bug. My Rapid has the same feature. Even I get pissed sometimes when am driving on highway and cannot check my running mileage but it is not a big loss or discomfort. That split second I will look down on the dashboard is the split second I take my eyes off the road at 80+ kmph. And you know Indian highways and the all the different kind of drivers you meet there.

Plus as mentioned above, tampering with it might or moght not void your warranty.
sen2693 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 13:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

I dont think this is bug. As explained by VW, this is their way of implementing the safety controls.

In my opinion, at 80kmph, we should focus our eyes on the road, and not on the MID.
abhishek46 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 14:37   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Don’t see why this is a problem. Why do you need to see anything other than your speed, fuel level and any warnings that come on the dash when you are at over 80 kmph? And if you want to check your fuel efficiency, all you need to do is come down to 79 kmph, I presume.
Hayek is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 19:23   #9
RMN
BHPian

I'm with the OP on this one, I think it's a pretty dumb implementation or a bug that has come from a few missing test cases!
RMN is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 09:00   #10

The same happens on my BS6 Vento don't see why it's an issue infact slowing down will help you be safe while fiddling and reading the data of the MID and if you're traveling around the speeds of 80-90 I don't see it being a huge annoyance and at speeds above that it's better one concentrates on the road.
AVash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 10:24   #11

Just get hold of someone with a VCDS cable and disable the alarm. It's a simple 2-minute job. Post disabling, the mid works as normal and the annoying beep is also gone. As far as I know, it's an Indian region-specific setting on the MID and once you change the country via VCDS, the beep is gone. Hope this helps!
haritabh7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 10:59   #12
RMN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVash View Post
The same happens on my BS6 Vento don't see why it's an issue infact slowing down will help you be safe while fiddling and reading the data of the MID and if you're traveling around the speeds of 80-90 I don't see it being a huge annoyance and at speeds above that it's better one concentrates on the road.
You say that like people would be glued to the MID. No, the point is there would be some vital info one needs to quickly glance over. Be it the km/l or distance to track something. Clearly this was never dangerous. There is no regulation to implement it and VW itself did not have this forced on the customer untill recently.
RMN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 11:06   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMN View Post
There is no regulation to implement it and VW itself did not have this forced on the customer untill recently.
I am sorry if I came out to be rude towards you but there is a speed warning regulation in place now.
They have had a provision for limiting speeds and they are using it but IMHO it should be raised to 120 km/h as that's the point when you cannot afford to take your eyes off the road
AVash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 11:31   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureshmadhan View Post
I would like if anybody in the community is having the same issue and had it fixed?.
I don't think this is a issue or a bug, its just how VW has implemented it. I am on a cross country trip on my Polo HL+ AT, don't see this an issue. I plan to get the settings changed and also remove 80/120kmph chimes using VCDS upon my arrival at Delhi.
sinharishi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 11:43   #15
BANNED

Obviously no manufacturer will change this system that they have adapted because it would look wrong in the eyes of the govt.
From what I have seen, the maxidot cluster in kushaq is better in this respect that the warning goes off after a few seconds.

As has been made clear by many other members, there are ways to get it fixed so that it doesn't annoy the living crap out of you(like it did in my X1). If anybody needs help about this, feel free to DM.

This is not worth losing your sleep and wasting time talking to the VW ASC, they don't care and or are probably scared to do anything about it.
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks