Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2021, 10:33   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: VW Polo engine seized! Replace with new engine or sell as scrap?

VW offering a discount on this is interesting, I would be cautious of their diagnosis. Perhaps it's an oil pump failure that siezed the camshaft. As the vehicle was used post delivery, there is no way VW can differentiate between old and new oil if that pump was working.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 11:00   #17
BHPian

Something just dosen't add up in this case. Either there is some other failure which VW is trying to wash their hands of or some info is being with held.

I would get the diagnosis done again through a reputable independent garage and worst come through if you really need an engine then pick a salvaged one, install it and use it till you can. Your in holy grail of engines in delhi.

Let us know what you finally did and keep the thread updated for other potential customers of vw.

Regards,
Manoj
scorpian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 11:17   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

There are more open-ended questions than clear answers.

1. Petrol or Diesel? 36k kms over 7 years kind of indicates petrol I guess

2. Why are you so confident of the transporter being a possible cause of this? What was the odometer when you gave the car to them and when you picked it up? Did you observe any change in the vehicle for the 100 odd kms you drove in Punjab? In one of your posts, you mentioned NoBroker - are they the transporter here?

3. Which VW service center is this? Can you upload the diagnosis report they shared? Initially, you mentioned a few escalations - what was that about? Are you confident about their diagnosis? What 'engine work' are they referring to - do they have any details? Maybe you might benefit from a second analysis?

Considering it's your hometown, you should definitely get some reputed FNG to have a look at your car.
ninjatalli is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 11:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

You have clearly mentioned that you will file a complaint and take it up legally. How can you take other routes when the process is in court? Other point is, I wouldn't buy a second hand engine from any dealer. You have already lost your peace of mind with this fiasco, why would you want to take a used engine which you will not be sure about? No matter which mechanic gives you guarantee (I am sure VW will not entertain inspecting other engines that you want to install) it will never be trouble free. Also, given the notorious VAGs reliability after such major issues, it will never be the same again. I can only say, I wouldn't park my car just like that until matters get resolved but cannot recommend an option out either. It's purely your call.
Raghu M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 11:55   #20
BHPian

Please see if there is any manufacturer recall for camshaft issues that your vehicle is eligible for. I found a similar issue here.

Quote:
VW POLO (17/12/2013 – 04/12/2014) RECALL:

Problem description: The housing bolts on the camshaft adjuster may come loose and break the pulley.

Last edited by haisaikat : 27th July 2021 at 12:13.
haisaikat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 09:06   #21
BHPian

Even after all the posts their is not a lot of clarity regarding the situation.

What exactly was the mode of transportation by "transporter"?
Was it driven all the way? Or was it transported on a truck or via train? What are the points of the agreement made with transporter.

This information is crucial to set the context right.

Why on earth would a transporter go to the trouble of working on and customer's engine, messing around with camshafts or whatever or change the oil and not charge the OP for it?
As long as the car wasn't involved in a accident, why should the transporter hide any issue that cropped up in the engine and then go on and "repair" the engine or change the oil etc and not charge OP for it?

If everything else the OP (and previous) says is taken at face value, then the issue seems to be with VAG(either the car or their diagnosis) or they are just trying to pin the blame for some issue on the customer.
ZenMaster is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 09:14   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Please see if there is any manufacturer recall for camshaft issues that your vehicle is eligible for. I found a similar issue here.
Interesting, maybe VW service got too enthusiastic with this service bulletin and over torqued the bolts leading to this seizure?
howler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 09:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

Something doesn't add up - Engine failure at 36k km is very strange.

Either:
1. The car was shoddily repaired by the previous owner who got rid of it in a hurry.

2. You had engine starved of oil and/or an oil pump failure - hence the cams seized.

My suggestion is either gambling with a used engine or getting a new car.
Old 28th July 2021, 09:24   #24
BHPian

@gaurav.jc you need to elaborate on things for anyone of us to guide you.

What I feel is you are taken for a ride from VW. Take someone along with you who is mechanically sound and have it checked. At max it could be a bottom end seized due to low oil levels. Which would not require an engine replacement or any of the options you have mentioned.

Transporter holding it for 4 days would mean that he was only waiting for the truck and usually cars are parked inside the yard - Do you have the speedometer reading as to when you left the car with them and when it was delivered to you? It would throw some light on the matter.
Asif 6959 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 09:59   #25
BHPian

I would second with the opinion that perhaps VW is taking you for a ride. This comes from a personal experience. My Pondicherry register VW bento 1.6 diesel(2011), back in 2017 at Delhi had a peculiar issue. The AC would run fine as the day started and soon after get turned off automatically with only hot aor blowing out of the vents as soon as the the engine warmed up. This was soon after a thorough service( less than a week). I took it to the ASS, who popped the hood and looked around, found that the coolent reservoir was empty. Without a second thought they handed me an estimate of 1.1lakh and a waiting period of 3 weeks. The mentioned that the oil filter body( I am guessing) had to be replaced along with a thorough engine clean up in addition the clutch plates were worn out so that needed a replacement. The car was already a little over a lakh KM old and I was hesitant to spend so much and considered selling it off.

I made the ASS refill the coolent reservoir with plain water and proceeded home to think about my next course of action. Ironically, a week later, I found the coolent level intact. I drove the car around a little and rechecked and the level remained the same.

I decided to replace plain water with coolent at a roadside workshop for Rupees 1000 and thus solved the issue.

Ironically, after the incident I recall that a representative from the ASS had called me and persisted on knowing if the car was fine and if it had developed any issue. On recounting that conversation I realised that it was much more persistant than a mere feedback call.

My advice for you is to take someone who knows the mechanicals of a car with you the next time you talk to VW. The transporter I doubt has a hand in this case.
Jessierider is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 10:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessierider View Post
I took it to the ASS, who popped the hood and looked around, found that the coolent reservoir was empty.

I made the ASS refill the coolent reservoir with plain water and proceeded home to think about my next course of action..
Don’t fill a coolant reservoir with water and don’t fill random coolant brands in a vw. Also wait till the car has been parked in the shade / not run overnight before determining coolant levels as a lot of it circulates inside the engine.

Blindly assessing 1.1 lakh bills without checking the actual level of coolant sounds like a scam of course.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 10:29   #27
BHPian

engine failure at 36K is strange, given you have serviced it in whitefiled VW. Also vehicle was with you for over 2 years so we can ignore any thing with regard to previous owner.

Firstly get an opinion from any other workshop (whether engine replacement is must or not) VW dealers do take customers for a spin, specially when you change dealership / purchase a preowned car and go first time to service centre.

Also get more info on what kind of engine work has been done previously. Can you let us know when VW dealership told you it was done at local mechanic whether they meant recently or it can be older (2+ years old / done by previous owner)

If done recently then transporter is at fault you need to share more info around recent work so that we can help us with out inputs for next steps with transporter

If work is done before (prior to Dec 18) then option 2 is the only choice you have
Old 28th July 2021, 10:42   #28
BHPian

Bro, you definitely need to specify what fuel does this car run on? Petrol or diesel? If anyone messed up the engine oil and if its regularly serviced at ASS then they are the one to blame. Since your car was running fine for so 2- 3 years. Ask them about it and the legal action you're talking about would be better if you took it on VW and not the transporter.
Though the transporter maybe at fault seeing the way how Jason Statham drives these cars. JK.
Call VW india helpline and complain on their toll free number. Hope everything works out.
Gorkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 11:47   #29
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Boss you are answering everything but not the fuel type. The equation changes if it’s a petrol because the resale value of a 2014 MPI Polo will be lesser than the repair cost. If it’s a diesel then your best bet is get a second hand engine and use the car for a few years. Firstly, Move it out of the VW SVC.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 12:49   #30
BHPian

Brother, something doesn't add up right. Engine seizure on a 35k run car is hardly heard of - off course, hope the car wasn't affected in flood waters or any accidents. Also, why would the transporter re-fill the engine oil - what is the guarantee that the same was not done by the VW ASS themselves after messing up the engine ?

Please have your car checked by a well known FNG in your locality and get their opinion as to what has really gone wrong and how we can get that sorted out.

Please don't blindly follow VW ASS - they are know to take their customers for a ride. If the FNG confirms what VW says is true, then look at other options like, sue transporter, engine replacement, etc. However, if the FNG confirms that VW is wrong, then there is no point in taking a legal issue against the transporter - you would get the car ready with the FNG and sell it off.

Last edited by ashking101 : 28th July 2021 at 13:14.
ashking101 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks