Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2021, 23:25   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Polo engine seized! Replace with new engine or sell as scrap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
What was the condition of the rubber belt if it was there at all? I suspect that the rubber belt broke and hence the alternator stopped. That’s when you saw the alternator/ignition lamp glowing. Now since this same belt drives the water pump pulley in most cars, you noticed the engine heating up a while later.
If the serpentine belt had broken or failed, after alternator lamp glow, he should've ideally got battery warning light too in some time. Not sure if OP had noticed that. With him able to drive further(4-5 kms with stoppages to cool down the engine) indicates the belt wasn't the culprit. Not sure if the battery could last that far without alternator working(hence my thought belt was intact). He must have started the car 4-5 times at least during those 5 kms since he indicated he stopped every km to make the engine cool down. My guess is the battery will never have enough juice for multiple starts in such a scenario(suspected belt failure and no charging by alternator)

Quote:
I drove the car for another 1-2 kms, engine started heating up. I stopped the car and again called the mechanic. He said may be due to alternator fail, the battery is not charging and may due to that, coolant is not flowing around. He advised me to slowly drive the car and bring to his shop. I drove for another 1-2 kms but engine was heating up. So I decided to drive the car for 1 km and take it rest. I drove like this for 4-5 kms. Then suddenly once I stopped the car, it didn't start

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 29th July 2021 at 23:42.
Old 30th July 2021, 15:17   #47

Re: using TBHP post as a tool for negotiation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
Judging by the lack of response of the OP, I am tempted to think even more on the direction of using social media to corner/bully others.

It is very evident that lots of people take to social media / online forums to get some coverage and strong arm opposite parties. Is the OP trying to intimidate the VW service center? The lack of information, delay in replying implies that could be a possible motive.

"You know? I am a TBHP member. If I write something bad about you or your business in TBHP, it will end up as a bad PR" - This statement is a possibility. As discussed elsewhere - good number of car dealers / staffs do look into TBHP these days.

[or]

If the OP's intention was not really using TBHP as a tool, then be honest and mention the facts. No matter if it is right or wrong. As a community we are here to help fellow members. No one is going to judge.

I request OP to come out clear.
It was never my intention to use TBHP to bully anyone be it a person or a company. I mean I just joined here because I am following it for a very long time and really loved this community. I am here for long term.

If I have to use social media against, I would have used FB/Twitter which has wider use and even companies also respond on it. I had put up one post in FB in a closed group (someone in the forum quoted that as well). That was also to get information/suggestions on issue.

Please see my last post where I have put down the incidents in detail. I hope it will clarify.

I am also bit amusingly surprised to know the point of view you mentioned. It has dawned to me that how lack of information can lead to unimaginable conclusions.
gaurav.jc is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 18:30   #48
BHPian

Oil not reaching cam shaft points to oil pump failure

Things are not adding up
If it is only oil pump failure, then transporter is not at fault, but how come there is fresh oil. one possibility is first VW workshop (Sirsa) has added oil to make it work and the second VW workshop (Bathinda) is misled with that.
You have to get this validated what Sirsa VW had done. ​
You told you have driven 4-5 Kms after engine light, I am not sure if 5 Kms with oil pump failure can cause engine seizure (experienced BHPians can add inputs on this)

Now if Sirsa VW has not added oil then transporter come into picture,

If not handled properly there are chances of oil sump damage (bottom area), this leads to oil leakage and may cause engine seizure. So one possibility is mis-handled transportation leading to damage in oil sump leading to low engine oil level, they might have driven vehicle to a local mechanic to get this fixed. (Engine oil top up {reason for fresh oil} + Oil Sump repair / replacement)

To validate this get oil sump checked for any repairs / damage

Will add more in next post if something else to my mind
Thanks
Asoon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 21:54   #49
BHPian

Sorry to hear about your VW Polo car. Most likely it may not be the transporter issue and may be just a coincidence. But since they also have driven the car for about 100KM they first try to wash off/defend not to unnecessarily getting into any issues. After all, as I understand you have driven your car about 500KM before getting into trouble. Also, even after the system has thrown multiple warnings you drove the car for 2-4 KM based on the the advice from the local mechanic which may have caused some of it.
About the new engine oil, as I read, you have first done the repair at the nearby VW service center which was at Sirsa Haryana on 12/06 and they found the crank shaft is out of place which they tried to torque it out, I even doubt that if this was done properly especially they say that they don't have parts because they deal with diesel engines mostly. Are you sure that they didn't add any engine oil? My first impression after reading the complete thread is that this first VW service center you were talking about added some fresh oil to begin with.
Old 7th August 2021, 22:38   #50

Hello All,

Let me clear some queriers raised in this forum and final action which I am taking.

Engine oil put by other VW service centre - No. I towed the car to VW service centre and they didn’t do any thing. They just opened the hood, tightened the crankshaft pulley and closed it.

Odometer reading - The car was driven around 180kms. Though the transporter had told me that they will drive the car to their Bangalore warehouse and they will drive from Gurgaon to Sonipat for delivery. However the VW ASS guy told me that odometer can be disabled by removing some wires.

Deductions form toll tax account - No deductions from the toll tax. However I think they can easily avoid it by covering the RFID and paying in cash. In fact while delivering the car, they had given me receipt of the latest toll tax.

Also one more strange thing which I found was that there were multiple mobile phones were attached to the VW radio. However why someone would attach the phone to bluetooth just for an hour’s journey?

Anyway I have decided to get the engine replaced from the VW. Here are my reasons:
  • Since I am taking a legal route and which may take some time to resolve, I have to keep the car with me. So If I have to keep car, I can’t rely on a second hand engine. At this moment, most important for me is ‘ peace of mind’.
  • VW is giving me some discount. Even after discount, it’s huge cost. However as per my analysis (attached in the original post), still it will be less than a new car cost in long run.
  • Repairing from VW will also help me proving the repair cost to court. Plus I can also make VW a party in the case as there are the one who are saying the engine has been repaired.
  • The car is otherwise flawless. It hasn’t given me any issues till now whatsoever.
  • Since this is my first car, I am attached to it. I can’t let it die just like that.
  • It takes more environmental resources to build a new car.
gaurav.jc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 05:16   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav.jc View Post
Also one more strange thing which I found was that there were multiple mobile phones were attached to the VW radio. However why someone would attach the phone to bluetooth just for an hour’s journey?
[*]Repairing from VW will also help me proving the repair cost to court. Plus I can also make VW a party in the case as there are the one who are saying the engine has been repaired.
Your transporter has probably driven the car all the way instead of loading it on a truck, or multiple drivers have had periodic joyrides on it. How or why would you make VW a party to the case, especially with this evidence available?
Old 8th August 2021, 07:23   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,[/list]
See if you can find the cell number which were connected to your audio system and give them a call asking if they work for xyz transporter company? Record it obviously. This is getting murky.
Old 8th August 2021, 07:25   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
See if you can find the cell number which were connected to your audio system and give them a call asking if they work for xyz transporter company? Record it obviously. This is getting murky.
Eh how do you do that? The device that was connected will be displayed but that's about it.
Old 8th August 2021, 07:33   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Eh how do you do that? The device that was connected will be displayed but that's about it.
May you you forgot to read the 'see if you can' and not it should? English isn't my first language anyway

Anyway to the newbie OP, can't PM you yet so can you please drop an email at Akshay200x@gmail.com?
Old 8th August 2021, 07:53   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
May you you forgot to read the 'see if you can' and not it should? English isn't my first language anyway

Anyway to the newbie OP, can't PM you yet so can you please drop an email at Akshay200x@gmail.com?
So - do you have a way to do this, would be the next question. Device logs if you can access them, maybe.
Old 8th August 2021, 08:18   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

A crank shaft pulley coming loose can explain most of the problems - and it won't happen because someone in the transport company took it for a joy ride. The internet has some interesting incidents of this pulley coming loose on VW engines, the closest to your case being this.

Link

This 3 cyl engine is not worth spending big bucks, please repair it outside. VW TSi engine maybe a bit advanced technology but this one is really crude even when new.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 09:33   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

Let me clear some queriers raised in this forum and final action which I am taking.
Anyway I have decided to get the engine replaced from the VW. [/list]
It is very common for drivers and service folks to connect their devices to the music system. Everybody want's to listen to their own music, isn't it? Also, at least 3-4 drivers have driven your car as it was driven in Bangalore, while loading and unloading at en-route hubs, and then from Gurgaon to Sonipat.
It still makes zero sense to take the legal route as you don't have ANY proof, not even Fastag deductions! Unless you have a lot of money to burn on legal stuff, please drop that line of thought and spend it on your Polo instead. In fact, repairing the car will go completely against you, as you need to preserve the car in it's delivered state for it to be even considered as evidence. Add to it you having driven the car for a few hundred kms before breakdown, no court will accept your case!
Your car broke down, it happens, so fix it or scrap it and move on!

Last edited by nitkel : 8th August 2021 at 09:35.
nitkel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 14:40   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Anyway I have decided to get the engine replaced from the VW. Here are my reasons:
  • Since I am taking a legal route and which may take some time to resolve, I have to keep the car with me. So If I have to keep car, I can’t rely on a second hand engine. At this moment, most important for me is ‘ peace of mind’.
  • VW is giving me some discount. Even after discount, it’s huge cost. However as per my analysis (attached in the original post), still it will be less than a new car cost in long run.
  • Repairing from VW will also help me proving the repair cost to court. Plus I can also make VW a party in the case as there are the one who are saying the engine has been repaired.
  • The car is otherwise flawless. It hasn’t given me any issues till now whatsoever.
  • Since this is my first car, I am attached to it. I can’t let it die just like that.
  • It takes more environmental resources to build a new car.
I am Following your Thread and there are few questions in my mind(subjective).

Which Engine will VW fit into your car now BS4 or BS6?
BS4 engines are out of production.
If BS6, then what about your RC as it is stamped with BS4.

How much warranty they will give on the new engine? What about the transmission? If anything goes wrong with transmission afterward, will they cover that too in your warranty?

What is the overall condition of the car? Spending anything north of 2 lakhs on the old car, do you think is ok?
Will you trust the car the same way you were trusting before failure and will be able to go on long drives?
Petrol prices are going up, why don't you consider other options like CNG or EV? (There are CNG stations all the way up to Amritsar and Pathankot)
I will suggest you buy a new car with 5 years warranty on everything.
The new scrappage policy is out. Kindly look into the option before you proceed.
The choice is yours only and kindly ignore if you don't like the above suggestions.

Last edited by rpmmachine : 14th August 2021 at 14:46. Reason: Added few more lines
rpmmachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 14:52   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmmachine View Post
I am Following your Thread and there are few questions in my mind(subjective).

Which Engine will VW fit into your car now BS4 or BS6?
BS4 engines are out of production.
If BS6, then what about your RC as it is stamped with BS4.

How much warranty they will give on the new engine? What about the transmission? If anything goes wrong with transmission afterward, will they cover that too in your warranty?

What is the overall condition of the car? Spending anything north of 2 lakhs on the old car, do you think is ok?
Will you trust the car the same way you were trusting before failure and will be able to go on long drives?
Petrol prices are going up, why don't you consider other options like CNG or EV? (There are CNG stations all the way up to Amritsar and Pathankot)
I will suggest you buy a new car with 5 years warranty on everything.
The new scrappage policy is out. Kindly look into the option before you proceed.
The choice is yours only and kindly ignore if you don't like the above suggestions.
A BS-4 engine will go into the OP's car. The fact that production of a certain variant or engine has stopped doesn't mean parts for it are also discontinued. The OP's car is registered as a BS-4 and a BS-4 1.2 MPI will go into it.

VW has a standard warranty of 2 years on all the repair work carried out at the service centre (barring consumables such as suspension and brakes). The engine is covered for 2 years. I don't see why the gearbox should be covered considering no complains were reported relating to it anyways.
vishy76 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 16:54   #60
BHPian

I have read through the posts and the variety of options suggestions and I would suggest the following-
  • Don't consider the legal action route, it would only add to your frustration and pain. I would suggest, if you are sure this issue cropped up due to some mischief by your transporter then threaten them with bad publicity and review on social media platforms and try to get as much compensation possible from them and end the case there. If not, just accept it as a bad accident you came unhurt out of and move ahead.
  • Considering the age of your vehicle, you being second owner, thereby estimating the current value of your car it doesn't make a case for spending anything on it just to bring it back to running condition, especially if you plan to sell it immediately. I would say you may end up with more loss and a whole lot of answering to the new buyer.
  • Finally, you may consider the scrapping option, but just because this is VW Polo, I would like to put across one more option that you may want to consider- Converting this in to some kind of project car. It may be for yourself if you ever thought about it or you may look for some enthusiasts or custom car builders who may be interested in this and might offer you more value than what you can get by scrapping it.

I know, it's easier said then done and it's also a pain to come to terms with such incidents and losses, but no point looking back, just start thinking of what you want to do next with her.
cloudno19 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks