Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2021, 23:27   #61

Re: VW Polo engine seized! Replace with new engine or sell as scrap?

On a somewhat related note, I've been driving my ~8 year old Polo (Aug 2013 Petrol Highline) with the engine check light ON for ~2 years now. I got it serviced at Autoshed Hyderabad in September 2019 and after a month or so, I started seeing this issue. I got it checked at three garages so far (including 2 FNGs and 1 VW ASS) and all of them assured me that there's no problem with the engine itself and that it's just due to a faulty sensor. They just cleared the check light when I took it to them but it kept coming back after a few days. Based on the assurances I got from these folks, I've been driving the car around town as usual, blissfully ignoring the light I haven't actually faced or noticed any issues so far, so I'm assuming these folks were right. However, I'm not at peace whenever I go out (which is pretty rare these days but still, not a good feeling)

Going through this post and reading OPs ordeal is scaring me now. I'm getting the car serviced at Wheels Wisdom this Monday, so hopefully, it'll be resolved for good. Can I get some advise on how much the sensor would cost (in case it has to be replaced) or anything else that I have to know or keep in mind?

I now realise that it was extremely foolish of me to drive the car like this for so long (reminds me of an episode in TBBT where Penny drives the car around with the check light on much to Sheldon's horror) but I've been really lucky so far.
Old 15th August 2021, 17:31   #62
RMN
BHPian

I'm still not convinced that the transporter is to be blamed. Regarding the oil, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it nearly impossible to differentiate engine oil from different parts of the same engine? Even if some fresh oil was added, since it was driven for 500kms, what are the chances that it can be differentiated?
RMN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 19:34   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMN View Post
I'm still not convinced that the transporter is to be blamed. Regarding the oil, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it nearly impossible to differentiate engine oil from different parts of the same engine? Even if some fresh oil was added, since it was driven for 500kms, what are the chances that it can be differentiated?
I think you misunderstood or did not read the whole report from the VW dealer. It did say that they suspect that fresh oil was added post damage.

Oil was added after the damaged occured. This might mean that the car was driven with too little oil until it overheated.
Old 17th August 2021, 23:02   #64
RMN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
I think you misunderstood or did not read the whole report from the VW dealer. It did say that they suspect that fresh oil was added post damage.

Oil was added after the damaged occured. This might mean that the car was driven with too little oil until it overheated.
Oil was added post damage and then driven for 500km? And VW was able to differentiate the oil from 2 locations?
Old 18th August 2021, 07:18   #65
BANNED

If you have decided to spend lakhs on it, please do consider buying the 2L VW engine for it. Custom duty that will get levied on the imported engine will be 25% and it would be costing lesser than the one you will be getting from VW India. Spare a few weeks for figuring out the mounts and you will be up and running with a dream car.

A simple google search is enough to get started with a plenty of swaps which where being illustrated step by step.

Link - 1

Last edited by COMMUTER : 18th August 2021 at 07:22.
Old 18th August 2021, 19:47   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
If you have decided to spend lakhs on it, please do consider buying the 2L VW engine for it.
It is not that easy. You will need engine mounts and a new ECU. Then you will have to adapt the engine mounts. Then comes the gearbox. You cannot just bolt on a gearbox from a 3 cylinder engine to a 2 liter 4 cylinder engine.

If doing such a project, you will also need the wiring loom for the 2 liter.

This is not a plug and play install.
Indian2003 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks