Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2021, 19:54   #16
BHPian

Re: Why does the boot also unlock, when you unlock the doors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post
There has been a huge debate around this topic in the automotive OEMs. Your use case matches perfectly with one side of the debate, which is quite reasonable. On the other hand, the some users want simplicity and one button to unlock all. So, it's difficult for a OE to take just one side.

But, if the product planning department has data and the target customers/market info spot on, the OE can have a different logic for that particular model. Example: Vehicles targeting urban and young people can go with separate operation for boot unlock, while a hatch used for general purpose/taxi segment can have one button press to unlock all doors.
At least OEM can give an option or a setting for unlock mode.
Does anyone here have access to service manual of these cars which has a boot button on key?
Example: Nexon, Kiger , Kushaq.

May be such settings exist and noone knows?
Old 8th October 2021, 01:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

On the Dzire all doors and boot unlock with the remote. You only need to press the button on the boot lid to open it. However once you start moving after reaching 15 km/hr the boot automatically gets locked and can't be opened only by pressing the button. You need to use the internal release lever or press the unlock button again to unlock it. This remains true even if the auto door locking option is disabled as I have done.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 07:09   #18
BHPian

I am not sure but think in VAG cars what you propose can be achieved via VCDS coding. A quick google search led me to this video.
VAG experts here can add more to this.
corvus corax is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 10:21   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antariksh View Post

Does anyone know if there is a setting in any of above car which can prevent this?
Boot must open only if someone who has keyfob and presses "boot open button" on boot. It must not open in any other cases.
This type of boot open system is available in Ciaz, Dzire
My Brezza satisfies this requirement for most part, still partially though.
You can configure the unlock option in MID. On single unlock press on the keyfob, you can set only driver door to unlock. On pressing twice, all 5 doors unlock.
From inside, you can unlock individual doors to exit, rather than use the central unlock.

However, on the flip side, once you turn off the engine and pull the key out, all 5 doors unlock. The unlock action happens on pulling the key out.
I have to verify if pressing the central lock button after turning off the engine, before pulling the key out, keep the doors locked.
MSAneesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 09:46   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAneesh View Post

However, on the flip side, once you turn off the engine and pull the key out, all 5 doors unlock. The unlock action happens on pulling the key out.
I have to verify if pressing the central lock button after turning off the engine, before pulling the key out, keep the doors locked.
This again becomes part of SoP. Which may not be followed by every driver every-time.
Old 9th October 2021, 10:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Is this feature called the 2 step unlock process? I think I saw it somewhere in the manual but never investigated further. If that is what it means, it will be useful.
This is standard in (all) cars in the West. In most cases, cars are used by 1 person - so why open all doors?

Premium cars probably carry the same features without any change from the home market.
landcruiser123 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 12:40   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antariksh View Post
This means, if someone is standing behind boot door, he can press "boot open button" on the boot and easily open it, there is a chance of bag theft.
As far as I'm aware, unless someone having the key fob stands next to the boot, it will not open even if you press the boot unlock button.
superbad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 12:48   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
As far as I'm aware, unless someone having the key fob stands next to the boot, it will not open even if you press the boot unlock button.
Anyone without key fob can open boot when vehicle is unlocked.

Only exceptions to this are Ciaz and Dzire as of now.
Old 9th October 2021, 15:10   #24
BHPian

There's a high chance this setting can be changed with coding by an experienced workshop. I know they can code things like wing mirror folding after locking among other things, it might be worth a shot.
Porcupine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 15:40   #25
BANNED

I keep a chain and a quick release carabiner for this purpose. Loop the chain through the spare wheel or the seat mounts and then secure the bag to the chain using the carabiner.

This is assuring enough, at least for me, because thefts happen in a few seconds (5 -10s at most), the thief is looking to grab and run and having the bag anchored to a chain throws them off their conditioning just enough to foil the attempt and give you time to get out of the car.
Electromotive is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 23:43   #26
BHPian

Check the manual. After owning a few, I can say that in settings you can change this. By pressing the unlock key once, only the driver side door will unlock and by pressing the unlock button twice in quick succession, all 5 doors will open. Same thing for request sensors.
Sran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 23:51   #27
BHPian

Sometimes having cars from older generations / older technologies comes handy . Swifts of older generation has this separate lever for opening the boot. My Aspire has a boot release button. So its not that OEMs don't have the technology, I think they have done this improvement based on the market feedback (majority preferring convenience over valuables in boot)
ChandraSekarMN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 00:22   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

- Some premium cars give you the option of unlocking just the driver's door when you unlock the car. Could be useful in your scenario if it's just you.

-
This feature is actually present in Brezza and Dzire. Single press on the request sensor unlocks only the driver door. Rest of the doors unlock on pressing the request sensor again. This setting can be changed from the MID.
midazolam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 01:24   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by midazolam View Post
This feature is actually present in Brezza and Dzire. Single press on the request sensor unlocks only the driver door. Rest of the doors unlock on pressing the request sensor again. This setting can be changed from the MID.
True, Even in my S cross, there was a setting from MID to open a single door or all doors from remote.
drsnt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 08:15   #30
BHPian

I can understand the feeling, even without any valuables, you are always concerned that someone might open the hatch.

As many of them already stated, there is a setting change to unlock just driver’s door on a single press and double to unlock the rest of the doors and hatch.

I have seen this in Maruti cars and I had done this in a Fiesta Classic myself.

I do believe this must be configurable even with the Keyless entry systems but someone who already explored can throw some light.

As a permanent setup, can we just unplug the wires to the hatch lock actuator if there is a mechanical/physical way to lock/unlock?
ganesc is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed