Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2021, 17:06   #1
BHPian

Why does the boot also unlock, when you unlock the doors?

Prelude:
2 of our Ciaz lease are expiring within next few months. We started hunt for new cars. With family growing bigger, we need to buy 3 cars.

1st Car, we straightaway booked Ciaz Alpha AT.
2nd Car has to be EV, We have zeroed in on Tigor EV.
3rd Car, we are exploring options.
We considered Skoda Kushaq, Renault Kiger, Magnite, Venue, Sonet, Urban Cruiser, Brezza, Jazz, WR-V, Nissan Kicks

We wish this car to be an Automatic transmission Petrol pseudo-SUV/C-SUV, strict no to AMT. CVT, DCT or Torque Converter AT is ok.

Problem:
Each of us carries laptop and some other valuables in backpack. We prefer keeping backpack in boot.

All of above cars have Keyless Entry system.
When Unlock button is pressed, Either Unlock request button,Unlock button on key or Unlock button from inside the car, all 5 doors are unlocked.

This means, if someone is standing behind boot door, he can press "boot open button" on the boot and easily open it, there is a chance of bag theft.

Does anyone know if there is a setting in any of above car which can prevent this?
Boot must open only if someone who has keyfob and presses "boot open button" on boot. It must not open in any other cases.
This type of boot open system is available in Ciaz, Dzire
antariksh is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 18:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Why does the boot also unlock, when you unlock the doors?

Once you & all the passengers are seated inside the car, just press the 'Lock' Button on the driver door.
All the doors & the Tailgate will get locked, and no one from outside can open them.

Is that what you desired?
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 19:36   #3
BHPian

re: Why does the boot also unlock, when you unlock the doors?

@abhishek46,
No.

I wish the boot door to be locked even if passenger doors are unlocked.
Old 7th October 2021, 10:55   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Why does the boot also unlock, when you unlock the doors?

I'm absolutely with you here. When you are carrying valuables, it sucks to have the boot unlocked when you unlock the doors. Thoughts:

- Some premium cars give you the option of unlocking just the driver's door when you unlock the car. Could be useful in your scenario if it's just you.

- Don't load valuables in the boot in front of prying eyes. Ideally, do it in your compound etc. before driving away. Don't dump your laptop in the boot *after* you park it at the destination as everyone will then know the boot has goodies in it.

- A few cars offer storage compartments that are hidden out of view (under the boot floor, under the driver's seat). Use them.

- Always deploy the parcel tray in hatchbacks & SUVs.

- If you want to step out, pull on the driver's door handle (instead of pressing the central locking button). The driver's door handle unlocks just the driver's door in many cars. Ditto when passengers want to get out (let them open their individual doors).

Last edited by GTO : 7th October 2021 at 10:58.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 11:10   #5
BHPian

There has been a huge debate around this topic in the automotive OEMs. Your use case matches perfectly with one side of the debate, which is quite reasonable. On the other hand, the some users want simplicity and one button to unlock all. So, it's difficult for a OE to take just one side.

But, if the product planning department has data and the target customers/market info spot on, the OE can have a different logic for that particular model. Example: Vehicles targeting urban and young people can go with separate operation for boot unlock, while a hatch used for general purpose/taxi segment can have one button press to unlock all doors.

My Nexon has separate operation on remote to open the boot (Long press the search button - middle one), where in unlock button just opens the door. This is not a passive keyless variant. Though logically it's possible to do, if there is an additional antenna on boot/taildoor. The problem comes with cost cutting to optimize number of receiving antennas.
saikarthik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 11:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antariksh View Post

Does anyone know if there is a setting in any of above car which can prevent this?
Boot must open only if someone who has keyfob and presses "boot open button" on boot. It must not open in any other cases.
This type of boot open system is available in Ciaz, Dzire
Precisely the same thing happens in my Sonet. I hate this. I don't want boot unlocked with doors unlocked. I still prefer the lever or button which should have been provided inside the car to open the boot. Sadly, this can't be changed as no option is there to avoid it. Yes, at times this gives us some convenience but still it's a safety issue.
Old 7th October 2021, 12:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post
My Nexon has separate operation on remote to open the boot (Long press the search button - middle one), where in unlock button just opens the door. This is not a passive keyless variant. Though logically it's possible to do, if there is an additional antenna on boot/taildoor. The problem comes with cost cutting to optimize number of receiving antennas.
I think additional antenna is not required. If long press booth open or boot unlock door on key actually actuates the boot latch, we may be able to physically block boot open button on boot and use this long press to open the boot. I always think there must be an option somewhere in software to enable this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm absolutely with you here. When you are carrying valuables, it sucks to have the boot unlocked when you unlock the doors. Thoughts:

- Some premium cars give you the option of unlocking just the driver's door when you unlock the car. Could be useful in your scenario if it's just you.

- If you want to step out, pull on the driver's door handle (instead of pressing the central locking button). The driver's door handle unlocks just the driver's door in many cars. Ditto when passengers want to get out (let them open their individual doors).
There is a chance sometime this SoP may not be followed which is risky.
Old 7th October 2021, 12:40   #8
BHPian

Quote:
When Unlock button is pressed, Either Unlock request button,Unlock button on key or Unlock button from inside the car, all 5 doors are unlocked.
The only time I need to unlock everything in my Terrano is at airport or hotels.
There I am already alert since I know my boot is going to be inspected. Never have I lost my laptop or anything else for that matter.

Everywhere else, I just open the door from the inside (manual lever) which does not open the boot.
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 14:20   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Problem:
Each of us carries laptop and some other valuables in backpack. We prefer keeping backpack in boot.

All of above cars have Keyless Entry system.

This means, if someone is standing behind boot door, he can press "boot open button" on the boot and easily open it, there is a chance of bag theft.
Thanks for posting this . I have been meaning to post this problem in my Verna but never got around to it. I too agree that this is a safety issue for laptops. I always carry laptops in the boot since it is not visible.

Just a month back, close to my house, thieves broke the windows in a car and took away valuables.

Quote:

- Don't load valuables in the boot in front of prying eyes. Ideally, do it in your compound etc. before driving away. Don't dump your laptop in the boot *after* you park it at the destination as everyone will then know the boot has goodies in it.
I try to follow this religiously, but fail in this situation - wife steps out for a quick chore, asks to open the rear door to pick up shopping bag/handbag, I open the central lock (instead of leaning and opening the rear door), she closes the rear door and walks off, I get busy on my phone, boot is unlocked till the time I realise and lock centrally again.

I really don't think many people would prefer to unlock the boot. Can this post be turned into a survey question and feedback sent to the manufacturers?
DigitalOne is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 15:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Thanks for posting this . I have been meaning to post this problem in my Verna but never got around to it. I too agree that this is a safety issue for laptops. I always carry laptops in the boot since it is not visible.
For Verna, do you have boot opening lever near driver seat? If yes, you can disable (Physically block or disconnect internally) "boot open button on boot" and use Lever and "Boot Open button on key" to open the boot.
Old 7th October 2021, 15:52   #11
BHPian

Quote:
For Verna, do you have boot opening lever near driver seat? If yes, you can disable (Physically block or disconnect internally) "boot open button on boot" and use Lever and "Boot Open button on key" to open the boot.
The boot opening lever is near the driver seat. But I couldn't find the setting to disable the central unlock .
Old 7th October 2021, 17:49   #12
BHPian

In the Terrano (I assume in the Duster as well), the boot unlocks when the car is unlocked either from outside using the key or from inside using the central locking system. I wish it is not designed this way at all!. I do not want to unlock the boot every single time!. Particularly from inside when I unlock all doors for people to get off. I will unlock the boot when I want to .

On the 2006 first generation Verna, the boot had a separate lever near the driver's foot which was so convenient from inside. From outside, just had to insert the key and open. Either way the boot was independent of the locking system. I found it hard to believe that it went missing in a 2013 Terrano!.

Thank God, they left the bonnet alone .
Old 7th October 2021, 18:01   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I could never get by head around this 'keyless entry system'. I don't have such a car and even if I am in the market for one, I would prefer a car without such a system. Pressing a small button on the key fob is convenient enough for me. In my opinion, keyless entry is just a gimmick and I see it just as a fad.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 18:39   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
The boot opening lever is near the driver seat. But I couldn't find the setting to disable the central unlock .
You can physically block the “Boot Open Button on Boot” using some acrylic piece and superglue
antariksh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 19:18   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is this feature called the 2 step unlock process? I think I saw it somewhere in the manual but never investigated further. If that is what it means, it will be useful.

Most Viewed