Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2007, 11:31   #31
Senior - BHPian

You did not express your views about the SHELL Rimula..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Harpreet Lubricants is located in Patel Nagar, Delhi, as soon as you leave Pusa Road and and enter Patel Nagar, after the residences end and first market appears on your left, you will find it there.
Old 9th June 2007, 11:52   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
You did not express your views about the SHELL Rimula..
Basic diesel oil, nothing spectacular, even the Rotella does OK but not great in UOA, Delo 400 or Delcav are the chaps of HDEO.
Old 9th June 2007, 11:56   #33
Senior - BHPian

These abbreviations kill me. My mind goes wild with imagination while deciphering...

What are UOA and HDEO??

BTW, would you be having Harpreet Lubricants contacts?

Quote:
Basic diesel oil, nothing spectacular, even the Rotella does OK but not great in UOA, Delo 400 or Delcav are the chaps of HDEO.

Last edited by gd1418 : 9th June 2007 at 11:58.
Old 9th June 2007, 12:07   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
These abbreviations kill me. My mind goes wild with imagination while deciphering...

What are UOA and HDEO??

BTW, would you be having Harpreet Lubricants contacts?
UOA= Used Oil Analysis
HDEO= Heavy Duty Engine Oil

Sorry, no address of Harpreet Lubricants but follow my directions given and you won't get lost.
Old 9th June 2007, 18:30   #35
Team-BHP Support

I went to khan market to get suspension work done.
Checked out a few shops, not chevrol DELO 400.
But there was a Mobil DELVAC 1 synthetic oil(5W40). It was so expensive that I wanted to run away.
Then there was Mobil DELVAC MX, API-CI4. but it had trucks and tractors drawn on it and said
"Heavy duty commercial diesel engine oil". It was around 900 for 5L

Due to silhouettes of trucks, tractors, mini trucks etc., on this oil I did not purchase it.
So how come this heavy duty oil is different from normal passenger car oil?
Old 9th June 2007, 19:47   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I went to khan market to get suspension work done.
Checked out a few shops, not chevrol DELO 400.
But there was a Mobil DELVAC 1 synthetic oil(5W40). It was so expensive that I wanted to run away.
Then there was Mobil DELVAC MX, API-CI4. but it had trucks and tractors drawn on it and said
"Heavy duty commercial diesel engine oil". It was around 900 for 5L

Due to silhouettes of trucks, tractors, mini trucks etc., on this oil I did not purchase it.
So how come this heavy duty oil is different from normal passenger car oil?
Its a multi-fleet oil, don't let the tractors and trucks scare you, diesel C rated oil goes through far more stringent requirements than gas oil, in fact it exceeds the highest specification required for gas oil, if you looked carefully on the container, you would have seen the words multi fleet and suitable for diesel and gas as well as the API gas rating there. Next time don't run, pick one up and start using it, your car will thank you. Delvac-1 is the best synth oil, sadly its quite costly and the justification is extreme use, like -30c and don't think we all will ever get into that kind of predicament, Delvac MX or Delo 400 would do fine for you.
Old 9th June 2007, 22:45   #37
Team-BHP Support

Umm, C rated oil is far superior, right, but whats the difference between Delvac MX which says, for commercial vehicles, and Castrol CI-4 GTX diesel which is made for cars.
Both are API-CI4 but one says cars and other says trucks.
Old 9th June 2007, 23:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

API-CI4 is a diesel engine oil meeting a set of test parameters. Mobil has major commercial vehicle business in US which is why the delvac says commercial vehicles.
GTX has been Castrol's brand name for passenger cars...

Sulphur in diesel fuel, Lubricity of diesel fuel & & diesel engine oil are three different topics n all getting mixed up here..

Last edited by kpzen : 9th June 2007 at 23:36.
Old 10th June 2007, 00:36   #39
Team-BHP Support

Well we are looking for a diesel engine oil which will best offset the low lubricity of the LSD sold in India.
Old 10th June 2007, 06:18   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Umm, C rated oil is far superior, right, but whats the difference between Delvac MX which says, for commercial vehicles, and Castrol CI-4 GTX diesel which is made for cars.
Both are API-CI4 but one says cars and other says trucks.
Thats because the intended audience in general for HDEO is trucks and commercial vehicles, if you read the label, you will see its rated for cars as well, both diesel and gassers. I have a Swift as well as high mileage Esteem, both belongs to my friends, all are on Delo 400 and also a Toyota Innova. They get excellent results vis a vis oil life, cleanliness of engine, fuel consumption and lower noise in general as compared to other oils.
Old 10th June 2007, 15:15   #41
Team-BHP Support

Okay, since Delo 400 is not available, next time I go to khan market I will pick up a 4L can of Delvac MX mineral oil.
It has around 2400ppm detergent level instead of Delo 400(3600ppm) or GTX diesel(1800ppm)
Will STP engine oil treatment mean more detergent in the oil?
Also LSD has poorer detergent qualities, so does it mean high detergent oil will help offset this?
Old 10th June 2007, 15:55   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well we are looking for a diesel engine oil which will best offset the low lubricity of the LSD sold in India.
Lubricity of LSD is tackled by refineries. To the extent i know the required additives are added before marketing the LSD by the Oil companies in India & special tests like HFRR are used to determine lubricity of fuel.

Adding engine oil to a diesel fuel is not a generally an accepted procedure to achieve required lubricity in FI pumps.
AFAIK the Indica V2 the fuel pump is lubricated by the fuel itself & not by a separate engine oil so searching for suitable diesel engine oil to solve the problem of LSD doesn't appear to be a worth while process.
Old 10th June 2007, 18:26   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Okay, since Delo 400 is not available, next time I go to khan market I will pick up a 4L can of Delvac MX mineral oil.
It has around 2400ppm detergent level instead of Delo 400(3600ppm) or GTX diesel(1800ppm)
Will STP engine oil treatment mean more detergent in the oil?
Also LSD has poorer detergent qualities, so does it mean high detergent oil will help offset this?

Use additive diesel and add Elf Dalf or STP diesel treatment every third or fourth filling, that will keep the pump happy, for your engine, Delo 400 or Delvac will keep it happy for a long time, Delo 400 is ISOSNYTH and therefore doesn't need higher detergent package of Delvac-MX which is group I oil, either way, no need for the extra buck on STP with these two oils.
Old 10th June 2007, 18:48   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post

Adding engine oil to a diesel fuel is not a generally an accepted procedure to achieve required lubricity in FI pumps.
Huh, who said we are adding engine oil to diesel?

Quote:
Use additive diesel and add Elf Dalf or STP diesel treatment every third or fourth filling, that will keep the pump happy, for your engine, Delo 400 or Delvac will keep it happy for a long time, Delo 400 is ISOSNYTH and therefore doesn't need higher detergent package of Delvac-MX which is group I oil, either way, no need for the extra buck on STP with these two oils.
Actually DELO 400 has 3600+ppm detergent, 1100ppm more than the Delvac MX.
Anyways, I will go for Delvac MX on next change
Old 11th June 2007, 09:03   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Excusez Moi Senoir... No Engine OiI wiff offset the low lubricity of Indian fuel unless you mix oil with fuel.. the Oil and fuel circuits are completely different in an Engine.. and special care is taken so that Oil and fuel never mix up.

Tell me guys.. How does the so called premium Oils reach the fuel pump which is the only item affected By diesel lubricity???

And eventhough the Suphur content is less nowadays Lubricity is easily taken care of by additives as rightly told by KPZEN

And again. We get 300 ppm Diesel, Europe Gets 50ppm diesel.. Does that mean that the fuel pumps over there are conking off because of lack of lubricity .NO.

Don' t tell itz because of the high grade oil they use because..again the oil doesn't come even near the pump.

IMO this thread is misleading..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks