Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2007, 10:09   #46
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Excusez Moi Senoir... No Engine OiI wiff offset the low lubricity of Indian fuel unless you mix oil with fuel.. the Oil and fuel circuits are completely different in an Engine.. and special care is taken so that Oil and fuel never mix up.

Tell me guys.. How does the so called premium Oils reach the fuel pump which is the only item affected By diesel lubricity???

And eventhough the Suphur content is less nowadays Lubricity is easily taken care of by additives as rightly told by KPZEN

And again. We get 300 ppm Diesel, Europe Gets 50ppm diesel.. Does that mean that the fuel pumps over there are conking off because of lack of lubricity .NO.

Don' t tell itz because of the high grade oil they use because..again the oil doesn't come even near the pump.

IMO this thread is misleading..
jomz,

There are many internal memos from BOSCH, Denso and other manufacturers indicating severe wear of their pumps, out here, Toyota tells Innova owners that a Rs.90,000 pump will need replacement at 150,000km, I regularly see high mileage but well maintained Fords, Skodas smoking profusely even with a proper tune up, ULSD and LSD issues have been discussed all over the net to great details, specially on their pump life factor.
Old 11th June 2007, 10:13   #47
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for your inputs Jomz? If engine oil has no effect, why is it that cars running on ULSD require API-CJ4 oil minimum? And cars running LSD require API-CG4 minimum.
I got the info from chevron lubricants page which clearly mentions that if you are running in ULSD you have to upgrade to API-CJ4
Old 11th June 2007, 10:27   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Thanks for your inputs Jomz? If engine oil has no effect, why is it that cars running on ULSD require API-CJ4 oil minimum? And cars running LSD require API-CG4 minimum.
I got the info from chevron lubricants page which clearly mentions that if you are running in ULSD you have to upgrade to API-CJ4
Well... ahem.. Hmm... that is a good question.. But how does that oil reach that pump? Can you give me that link... Let me check if there are any car models mentioned.. I can check whether they are Oil lubricated pumps..

OT how come I'm still a newbie.. I finally completed 50 posts..
Old 11th June 2007, 10:50   #49
Team-BHP Support

I reckon that the reason is not the engine but EGR and emission control systems.
API-CJ4 has lower sulfur, Phosphorous and Ash limits. For example API-CI4 oil as no limit on sulfur content.
So not to mess up the emission control and recirculation systems, API-CJ4 is needed.
From Chevron site:
"You can use API-CH4 heavy duty oil for pre 2007 diesel engines but you must you API-CJ4 oil in newer engines while using ULSD".

Also when you read any technical brochures from manufacturers/oil company people it always says:
"Manufacturers do not anticipate any problems in older vehicles but in some cases changes may be required etc,."
The way I read it (Skeptic I am) ULSD will shorten your pump life, but nobody wants to clearly say so. Never engines are designed for ULSD, but older ones are not.
You cannot yank out detergents and lubricants from a fuel and then claim it will be as good as before.
As for additives to offset sulfur, most crdi engine guys say "Do not use Turbojet like fuels!"
Old 11th June 2007, 11:34   #50
BHPian

I completely agree to what you said Now... and Yes CJ 4 has an effect on Emission....

And India has an avantage.. When they test the vehicles here.. they can se whatz coming in stock from the European market... and test it as per the next generation of fuels.. like the 50ppm sulphur content diesels..

And thanks for making me a bhpian...

Last edited by Jomz : 11th June 2007 at 11:37.
Old 11th June 2007, 11:51   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Surprisingly in oil company Jargon, HSD stands for "High Speed Diesel", wonder what does that mean!?
Its always been "High Speed Diesel" until the strict emission norms came up which was related to the sulphur content...

Earlier there had been only two grades LDO & HSD

LDO - Light Diesel Oil
HSD - High Speed Diesel

LDO was basically for the low speed vehicles like tractors etc
HSD was for the Truck & other heavy vehicles..
Old 11th June 2007, 11:58   #52
BANNED

The older mechanical pumps on my OM616 turbo and W04D get oil from the engine, I don't know about the newer pumps, I am sure Jomz has way better idea.
Old 11th June 2007, 12:03   #53
Senior - BHPian

I don't think in any new diesels the engine oil even comes near the pump..
Confirmed for Indica V2 & Hyundai CRDis....
Old 11th June 2007, 13:45   #54
BHPian

Just checked WO4D is oil lubricated.. their Inline pump. and Indica if it came with an inline pump, it is Oil lubricated. Rotary pumps are not.

Last edited by Jomz : 11th June 2007 at 13:53.
Old 11th June 2007, 15:52   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Just checked WO4D is oil lubricated.. their Inline pump. and Indica if it came with an inline pump, it is Oil lubricated. Rotary pumps are not.
In that case, I would say that today's high tech rotary pumps depend more on the lubricity of diesel fuels and their additives than ever before. From what I read and hear from insiders in the industry, its the rotary valve failure that plauges today's pumps most, for an old inline mechanical, one had to literally put sand in the tank to destroy them.
Old 11th June 2007, 15:57   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
In that case, I would say that today's high tech rotary pumps depend more on the lubricity of diesel fuels and their additives than ever before. From what I read and hear from insiders in the industry, its the rotary valve failure that plauges today's pumps most, for an old inline mechanical, one had to literally put sand in the tank to destroy them.
and still there are guys who'd salvage those pumps.. even after you put sand....
Old 11th June 2007, 15:59   #57
Team-BHP Support

Indica has a LUCAS TVS FP, and the Sumo has a Bosch. Any idea whether its rotary or inline?
Old 11th June 2007, 16:02   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Indica has a LUCAS TVS FP, and the Sumo has a Bosch. Any idea whether its rotary or inline?
Just look at it... One with 4 pipes on top (of the pump) in a line is an inline pump..
One with 4 pipes starting from the back (of the pump).. arranged in a circle is a rotary pump
Old 11th June 2007, 20:27   #59
BANNED

Quote:
and still there are guys who'd salvage those pumps.. even after you put sand....
So true, I know a water soaked one that went for years without a hitch.
Old 12th June 2007, 11:28   #60
BHPian

Quote:
TSk . I believe that the Indica has a rotary pump.. The sumo had an inline but now itz a rotary pump. Think of the best part.. with a rotary pump you've better combustion than an inline.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks