Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2022, 15:37   #46
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun : Ineffective air-conditioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
@adigup - Here is the update on the AC performance of my Kushaq over the weekend.
Great, thanks so much for the update.

I have started observing more closely and I feel low revs is not really a problem (like idling in Neutral with no load on the engine) till you are stuck in traffic and doing 10kmph and depending solely on the clutch to crawl in the second gear (or even the first gear at times).

The AC is a chiller before 11am in the morning and past 5pm in the evening. It works fairly well in the afternoon but when in traffic and at crawling speeds, it cannot withstand the scorching summer sun and the heat.
We keep the temperature set between 18 - 21 degrees Celsius (in our Japanese cars we have it set between 19 and 24), and again - it works well until we hit slow moving traffic or approach a speed breaker at a higher gear.

There is full pressure on VW and we have been in constant contact. The dealers wanted to pick the car to inspect further but my dad was adamant and said that they can pick the car only if they have a concrete solution, and then they said they will do it later. Since, the VW Sales head Noida has also mentioned he is having similar problems in his 1.0 AT my dad is relaxed, but still we are constantly asking for a solution.
adigup is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 17:36   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
I drove 15kms this morning and now I can be sure that the AC is indeed ineffective in auto mode. Outside temperature was 35deg, I had set my AC to 25deg, both seat ventilators on.

I was dripping sweat from my forehead!

Increased fan speed to maximum and changed the blower directions to get max effect on people directly. That was a tough experience. My mother was commenting that the Santro had much powerful cooling than the Taigun.

It also happens sometimes that the air recirculator (is that the right term?) switches off on its own and a gush of hot air comes in through the AC vents. For a couple of seconds, especially with fan at max speed, I thought my AC unit had gone bust.

Hope VW does something to fix that. Next service is coming up in a couple of months. This AC issue, doors weather stripping/beading and a bit of engine fine tuning if possible for mileage - those will be my things to do.
The ac compressor is cutting off too early. May be tuned by the company to increase fuel efficiency. Either that, or your cabin temperature sensor has gone bust.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 18:31   #48
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
The ac compressor is cutting off too early. May be tuned by the company to increase fuel efficiency. Either that, or your cabin temperature sensor has gone bust.
Definitely not the latter as it’s happening with quite a few owners.
adigup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 10:28   #49
BHPian

Hi, I own a skoda rapid 2014 AT and I do complain about the weak AC in the car. I got it checked at a very reputed and knowledgeable car AC FNG guy and he said there is no issue with the ac system on a whole it's just how VAG makes it. Now the problem is accentuated in summers. We have 2 cars in our house (other being a Terrano) and the rapid is parked outside in the sun. On sunny days what happens is the car heats up and when I switch on the AC it takes huge amount of time to cool the cabin and many a times I reach my destination but the cabin is still not cooled. Other times it does cool just enough but as one bhpian mentioned sweaty back the same goes for me. But I found the sweaty back is more down to the heat retained by the leather seats rather than the AC.(how I wish it had ventilated seats)
During non summer days the AC works wonderfully and I usually keep the temp between 22-24 degrees in auto mode.
So for the summer time non cooling issues here is a fix that I have found. Before starting the car in afternoon when the cars heated up, I roll down all the window for about 90 sec, then I roll up the windows on the driver and right rear side, keeping the other 2 windows down. I open the driver door and for about 15 sec flap the door in open and close position (without closing it) to pump all the hot air generating from the car inner surfaces out. Once done I roll down all windows start the car and drive for atleast a KM without AC and then switch on the AC and roll the windows up. I found this method makes a huge huge difference in the AC effectivenes.
Yes agreed a sedan cools much faster than an SUV owing to lesser cabin volume but this is fix that works wonderfully for me and alot of my friends have included it in their routine after they it to be effective. IMHO the pumping out hot air should make cabin cooling faster as opposed to directly switching on the ac when car is parked outside.
Hope this helps
Regards
Laidbackakki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 21:42   #50

I Felt same Problem with my month old TAIGUN AT 1.0.

Once @ bumper to bumper DELHI traffic in the afternoon @ 1pm. With both ventilated seat switched ON+ Ac @ Lowest with full blower ,I was literally sweating.

But on normal days AC was so Chilled ,that I have to increase the temp & reduce the fan speed.

I did not raise the complaint to VW dealership as I was thinking when they switch on the AC ,it will be working in front of them.. As AC problem occurs only during BUMPER to BUMPER traffic.

At Idle Its Works good.

Dont know what to do
sumitsolanki200 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 14:36   #51
BHPian

Here is an article from gaadiwaadi mentioning that AC issues are there on the Slavia and Kushaq.
https://gaadiwaadi.com/skoda-slavia-...ssues-details/
It's the same issue on the Taigun. I am not on Facebook and so not sure how the discussions go on there. A friend of mine owns a Kushaq 1.0 AT and he is not happy with the AC either. Hope VW does something soon. I thought it's a problem with just my car, and then the service and sales head at VW Noida confirmed that they own a Taigun 1.0 and they have the same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitsolanki200 View Post
I did not raise the complaint to VW dealership as I was thinking when they switch on the AC ,it will be working in front of them.. As AC problem occurs only during BUMPER to BUMPER traffic.

At Idle Its Works good.

Dont know what to do
My car in it's first month spent 3 days at VW Gurgaon workshop. They did not do anything as they obviously didn't check the car in bumper to bumper traffic. Since then, the matter is escalated to the point that VW Gurgaon and VW Noida service and sales heads were repeatedly calling for a month, and later admitted that all the Taiguns have this problem. They have promised to rectify the issue as soon as they hear back from VW with a concrete solution.

Last edited by adigup : 13th May 2022 at 14:40. Reason: avoiding multiple posts
Old 18th May 2022, 15:35   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Imagine you are parked on the roadside, waiting on the missus doing some errand. You want to be comfortable, so you keep the engine running, so that you can enjoy AC environment.
Now,

Imagine you parked on the roadside, with the missus waiting while you are doing some errand. You want her to be comfortable, so you keep the engine running, so that she can enjoy AC environment.

Now imagine her comments when you return.

I shudder to think.
gpagedar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 08:54   #53
BHPian

AC on most German cars( luxury or main stream models) is much less efficient than Indian Jap or Korean cars. Some design priority/ defect I.r.o. Indian cars. My old Baleno AC was rated higher in cooling than that times,s Mercedes S class model.

Remedies. Don’t run AC in auto mode. Use recirculation mode mostly( keeps the pollutants out and car cooler.) . Use blower speed manually as required. Use a rear roller sun blind ( perforated type on rear windshield. Use locally available perforated stick o type sunblinds liberally.

One can make any number of trips to service station but the german ACs just not designed for North Indian summers.

Last edited by MADMAX111 : 19th May 2022 at 08:56.
MADMAX111 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 10:38   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post
AC on most German cars( luxury or main stream models) is much less efficient than Indian Jap or Korean cars. Some design priority/ defect I.r.o. Indian cars. My old Baleno AC was rated higher in cooling than that times,s Mercedes S class model.
I totally agree with you. But most Slavia, Kushaq and Taigun owners are upgrading from a Polo/Vento/Rapid (like I did) or have another car from VW/Skoda in their garage, and they're experiencing this issue.

Even the VW workshop guys admitted that there is a problem in all the 1.0 cars.
adigup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 07:43   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post
Remedies. Don’t run AC in auto mode. Use recirculation mode mostly( keeps the pollutants out and car cooler.) . Use blower speed manually as required.
So is the issue only when the AC is kept in Auto mode or also in manual mode?
Old 21st May 2022, 10:45   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpagedar View Post
So is the issue only when the AC is kept in Auto mode or also in manual mode?
Also in manual mode, noticeable in bumper to bumper traffic.
adigup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 12:35   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adigup View Post
Also in manual mode, noticeable in bumper to bumper traffic.
I find it surprising that inspite of selling cars in India for over a decade VW hasn’t been able to tune the ACs for the temperatures seen in India.

I don’t buy the argument that being a European manufacturer their ACs are tuned differently. When selling in a different market such modifications need to be made to suit the local conditions.
gpagedar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 23:06   #58

We took delivery of our Taigun 1.5 DSG GT+ a couple of days ago and the following are my observations comparing it with our 2013 Vento Highline
  1. Sterring top felt warmer even in 33 degrees outside temperature compared to 40 degrees outside weather in vento, this makes me think Taigun does not have tinted glass
  2. When it works, it's very effective
  3. It cutoff abruptly/randomly when stopped on a signal, I had to reduce the temperature to start it again.

If Taigin is missing tinted glass, it could also be contributing to bad AC performance.
theexpert is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 23:47   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
Is it some kind of software setting to maximise fuel efficiency because in bumper to bumper traffic mileage tends to drop generally. Should be reparable by a software fix.
I can also completely correlate with this.
Honda city 4th gen also has same problem. A/c is ineffective in bumper to bumper traffic and In order to maximise fuel efficiency the AC trips.

Grill temperature could never touch 7 degrees even in shade at resting Rpm.
Showed cars at different Workshop but they say it’s working within given para meters . No option but to live with it
AC in my corolla petrol is chiller. Also diesel cars have better AC and probably different compressor
samitjain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 17:54   #60
BHPian

Hey guys, a close friend recently purchased a Taigun 1L topline MT model some 2 odd weeks ago. He is facing the very same issue as you guys w.r.t. the AC. He is very disappointed and dismayed that after having spent 17L on a brand new car, he is facing an issue with what is probably considered one of the primary and essential functions of a car in New Delhi - the air conditioning.

After having procured a temperature gauge, he put the car's AC to the test. He is very methodical in his approach and made a video outlining the issue whilst driving in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

I am attaching the video for everyone's reference here.

He is supposed to give his car tomorrow for an inspection by the service head at VW. But he wanted to ensure that he has the issue on record before he does so.

Driving with a sub-standard AC in a city like Delhi can be a grueling experience during the peak summers and monsoons. And most of all, it is not acceptable for a brand new car coming from the international stable of VW.

Albeit long, please do watch the video to see how the temps fluctuate and reach highs of the 30s.

Last edited by sibot : 29th May 2022 at 18:14.
sibot is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks