Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2022, 10:47   #16
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu7944 View Post
Finally you made them admit. . This should be music to all taigun owners. Hope VW does it earlier. Please keep us posted on the updates.
I drove 15kms this morning and now I can be sure that the AC is indeed ineffective in auto mode. Outside temperature was 35deg, I had set my AC to 25deg, both seat ventilators on.

I was dripping sweat from my forehead!

Increased fan speed to maximum and changed the blower directions to get max effect on people directly. That was a tough experience. My mother was commenting that the Santro had much powerful cooling than the Taigun.

It also happens sometimes that the air recirculator (is that the right term?) switches off on its own and a gush of hot air comes in through the AC vents. For a couple of seconds, especially with fan at max speed, I thought my AC unit had gone bust.

Hope VW does something to fix that. Next service is coming up in a couple of months. This AC issue, doors weather stripping/beading and a bit of engine fine tuning if possible for mileage - those will be my things to do.
asmr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 11:15   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
I drove 15kms this morning and now I can be sure that the AC is indeed ineffective in auto mode. Outside temperature was 35deg, I had set my AC to 25deg, both seat ventilators on.

I was dripping sweat from my forehead!

Increased fan speed to maximum and changed the blower directions to get max effect on people directly. That was a tough experience. My mother was commenting that the Santro had much powerful cooling than the Taigun.

It also happens sometimes that the air recirculator (is that the right term?) switches off on its own and a gush of hot air comes in through the AC vents. For a couple of seconds, especially with fan at max speed, I thought my AC unit had gone bust.

Hope VW does something to fix that.
The noise about AC is getting louder. Now it is settled that AC is ineffective. Last week I got a call from VW seeking feedback about dealer. Despite my insistence that they take feedback on car, the person went on asking questions on dealer alone. Shouldnt they take a feedback particularly when market is lukewarm towards a product? I will be writing to them quoting the discussion in this forum. Hopeful of some positive outcome.
Old 16th April 2022, 11:24   #18
BHPian

Couple of reviewers in team-bhp had mentioned that the a/c was not very effective, especially in 1.0 version. Many ignored it I think. I remember reading at least two people who mentioned this in their reviews. I believe they are using the same unit from Tiguan or some other car where it was equally ineffective, sorry can’t remember full details. I doubt Skoda/VW will be able to do anything for existing customers
Old 16th April 2022, 13:33   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
Couple of reviewers in team-bhp had mentioned that the a/c was not very effective, especially in 1.0 version. Many ignored it I think. I remember reading at least two people who mentioned this in their reviews. I believe they are using the same unit from Tiguan or some other car where it was equally ineffective, sorry can’t remember full details. I doubt Skoda/VW will be able to do anything for existing customers

Yes, it shares the unit with Tiguan but it’s not fine-tuned for the Taigun as per the Service advisor. I was the one who mentioned it on the forum. Also, my car spent 3 days at the VW Workshop as I had asked them to check it - the only thing they did was - checked the gas and refilled it. (to be clear - my car is just 3 weeks old, 1700 kms on the odo - 100 kms done by the VW service guys during the testing)

Last edited by adigup : 16th April 2022 at 13:37.
Old 21st April 2022, 18:48   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adigup View Post
Update: I have been in constant contact with the VW Sales and the Workshop managers regarding the AC issues.
This is with reference to the above post. The dealer asked me for a week's time. He told me that nothing can be done as of now, and the dealers / workshop people are helpless. They have received complaints from other owners too regarding the AC.

Not only one, but two managers / service heads - from Volkswagen Noida and Volkswagen Gurgaon - both of them have confirmed that the AC units of all the Taiguns have a problem (in the previous post I mentioned that the Head owns a Taigun himself - 1.0 AT and is facing issues) - which causes it to trip when the revs / rpms are low (bumper-to-bumper traffic / or in manuals when doing low speeds at a higher gear - not downshifting), which stops the cooling and then there is just hot and humid air coming out of the 'AC' vents.

Both of them also confirmed that they do not know how to rectify the problem and they also do not know when VW will release a 'software update' or do a recall. I also told them that I am posting regular updates about this on Team BHP.
adigup is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 21:34   #21
BHPian

Quote:
This is with reference to the above post. The dealer asked me for a week's time. He told me that nothing can be done as of now, and the dealers / workshop people are helpless. They have received complaints from other owners too regarding the AC.

Not only one, but two managers / service heads - from Volkswagen Noida and Volkswagen Gurgaon - both of them have confirmed that the AC units of all the Taiguns have a problem (in the previous post I mentioned that the Head owns a Taigun himself - 1.0 AT and is facing issues) - which causes it to trip when the revs / rpms are low (bumper-to-bumper traffic / or in manuals when doing low speeds at a higher gear - not downshifting), which stops the cooling and then there is just hot and humid air coming out of the 'AC' vents.

Both of them also confirmed that they do not know how to rectify the problem and they also do not know when VW will release a 'software update' or do a recall. I also told them that I am posting regular updates about this on Team BHP.
Do you know if by any chance the Slavia and Kushaq have this issue as well? I'd be a lot less worried if they didn't
Old 21st April 2022, 21:47   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post
Do you know if by any chance the Slavia and Kushaq have this issue as well? I'd be a lot less worried if they didn't
Well, the heart and the brain is the same as all the four cars (Virtus as well) just look different, they'll surely have it in the 1.0 versions

Skoda Kushaq's review on this forum has a lot of members talking about the AC - that it's not as good as other cars.
Here's what another BHPian pointed out from Gagan Choudhary's review:
(But in Taigun, it's ineffective at rpms ≤1,200)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
3) AC stops cooling at higher rpms (4K+)
A friend owns a Kushaq 1.0 AT - His car is used by his dad to go to the office and back (early morning and post 6pm) - so he's not able to tell much but he is sure that the AC is not as effective.
adigup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 22:12   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Well, the heart and the brain is the same as all the four cars (Virtus as well) just look different, they'll surely have it in the 1.0 versions
I am Kushaq 1.0 MT Ambition owner. I watch this thread also and have learnt some of the common behavior of these same cars in different clothes.

Last weekend I did a Madras - Pondy run and returned the same day. Onward, I have set the AC at 23 degC Auto mode and started early in the morning at 7.00. I felt AC was okay and reached Pondy by 9.30 AM before the blazing sun. After getting down my wife who was seated in the front passenger seat complained that her dress become sweaty (No ventilated seats in this variant). I thought it has to do with the leatherette seat cover that I installed (We prefer Fabric always).

Car was parked in shade only and I started the return journey at 12.00 in blazing sun. Around mid way by 1.30 PM, the AC felt really inadequate in Auto mode and can feel warm air sometimes. I switched the AC to manual mode and put the blower to 4th level and then chill air started. Closer home, I switched back to Auto mode but never got the chill air like in manual mode.

I can definitely feel AC is weak for hot Chennai summer. It seems I have to set it to 22 deg C or lesser and manual mode this season. I have survived with the weak AC of my i10 for 12 long years and now it seems have to endure it with my Kushaq too (And the sun film ban is not helping too). Kushaq, first car in these twins is launched around June/July and so possibly going to see the first real summer here by owners. Let us see how it fares.

I will drive this weekend with higher gear to drop the RPM to less than 1200 and will report back whether cooling stops.

PS: One irritating thing I noticed is the re circulation setting is not remembered during mode change and it goes OFF. I have to manually press it again each time. With all 'touch' and no buttons, it is quite inconvenient to fiddle around during driving especially in a route like ECR which has its fair share of rash drivers in an undivided highway
thanixravindran is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 22:20   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
I am Kushaq 1.0 MT Ambition owner. I watch this thread also and have learnt some of the common behavior of these same cars in different clothes.
'Auto' never works. Also, as far as I know the 'recirculation' also goes into Auto mode so it's not a problem. But yes, AC feels inadequate - and yes, try doing like 30-40 kmph in 5th gear or 40-60 kmph in the 6th gear (basically not downshifting after braking)
Old 22nd April 2022, 10:43   #25
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Taigun : Ineffective air-conditioning

Volkswagen Taigun : Ineffective air-conditioning - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 21:04   #26
BANNED

Hello Guys,

From understanding the Automatic Climate Control (ACC) in cars and having some experience with it - i got to know that in AUTO mode - AC Compressor never gets Tripped, instead when the cabin temp gets near to the set temp on AC Panel then Hot air from Heater gets mixed to maintain the temperature of cabin. Obviously this leads to less fuel economy.

As in the case of all of these issues, i suspect malfunction of Heater Door inside the dashboard which results into unnecessary mixing of hot air with cold air thus reducing effectiveness of AC.

Please try following steps to use the AC in manual mode to get better cooling untill company solves the problem.

1. Set the Temp to lowest possible.
2. Please keep the AC in recirculation mode & DONT Press AUTO button even accidentally (Remember that we want to use AC in Manual mode).
3. Set the blower speed as per your preference and cooling needs from blower speed function.

Try this and see if it works. Also this will result in good fuel economy as compressor will be tripped when blower air temp reaches near thermostat (sensor inside dashboard) set temp to avoid icing on the evaporator and hot air will not be mixed.

Please update this thread after trying this workaround.

Cheers!
CaptainBrijesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 21:33   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBrijesh View Post

Please update this thread after trying this workaround.
Hello, thanks for your reply. We have owned (and still own) multiple cars with Automatic Climate Control and don't use the Auto function often. (As it's better to just set the temperature to the desired temperature and manually take control of the blower speed)

I have tried almost each and every thing with the Taigun's unit - letting the Auto mode do the job and even trying to most custom and lowest temperature + all speed blower settings possible. In fact, earlier today, I had set the temperature to 17 degrees and blower speed to 3; I was cruising at around 60-80 kmph on 5th-6th gear it worked perfectly, but as soon as the speed reduced and I didn't downshift - it tripped.

After a few kms I got stuck in an 8 minute traffic jam (while driving from Gurugram to Delhi) and the AC was actually ineffective because the car was not given any accelerator input (as releasing the clutch was enough to make the car crawl for 8 minutes - revs were below 1,100 rpm). By the time I crossed the traffic jam, I was sweating badly.

I had to meet with a few friends and also take them out in the 'new' car because my car is ≤ 1 month old, even they noticed the AC problem. One of them owns a Kushaq 1.0 AT and told me it has the same problem. I mean it was a little embarrassing showing them the new car and then getting stuck in traffic a second time which made the AC give out lukewarm air.

To conclude, it's not really the Climate control which is the main root of the problem. It is something with the engine / battery which isn't able to help the Ac produce cold air when the revs are low or under some circumstances.

Last edited by adigup : 22nd April 2022 at 21:35. Reason: added the last line so that problem is highlighted
adigup is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 10:30   #28
HMV
BHPian

I have been facing similar problem with our 2021 Vento 1.0 TSI. I can hear the compressor going OFF and ON often to keep the car going at low speeds. At higher speeds, it’s good but still not a chiller as it was in our i20. You always get out with a sweaty back and don’t really feel the difference while getting out of the car. AC performance is indeed very poor for our summers.
Old 23rd April 2022, 10:49   #29
BHPian

Is it some kind of software setting to maximise fuel efficiency because in bumper to bumper traffic mileage tends to drop generally. Should be reparable by a software fix.
steadfast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 11:52   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

To conclude, it's not really the Climate control which is the main root of the problem. It is something with the engine / battery which isn't able to help the Ac produce cold air when the revs are low or under some circumstances.
Possible reason : Condenser fan is small +/ compressor is small.

AC is not something European brands would prioritise much, by now we know how much real world testing they have done due to various other reasons.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks