Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2022, 19:27   #1
BHPian

Suspension problem on my Mahindra XUV700 | RHS is sitting lower

Hi All,
I would have preferred not to go public with my ordeal, since I am a strong supporter of Indian products and the XUV700 was a step I took to show my support and try to break the cliche that Indian products can’t be good.

I own a Diesel AWD AT and while I love the car for its handling, performance and capabilities, the after sales support which Mahindra enables through their dealers is just not mature enough to cater to a customer base spending 30 L OTR.

On our way from Kolkata to Bangalore we could distinctly feel that the right hand side suspension was losing its strength and it degraded so much that the vehicle started to roll like crazy around left hand corners.
But at the same time it would ride flat around right hand corners.

On reporting this and demoing this to the dealership they said they will get in touch with Mahindra technical team and the only response from Mahindra Techs to dealer was to check on another vehicle.

2 weeks went by without any progress or updates.

On the 3rd week I suddenly noticed that the car was tilted to the right even while parked in our basement. I confirmed my suspicions using a leveller gauge and measured the ride height as mention in the Mahindra workshop manual. As expected the right hand side struts had gone down by 10 mm.

On sharing the video with Mahindra I was called to the workshop again and measurements were taken and shared with Mahindra.

After 2 weeks it seems Mahindra doesn’t recognise their own SOP about ride height measurement and they still want the dealer to measure a similar car which is just outrageous bcoz another car might have N number of variables like distances traveled, abused taken etc.

My car has only run 4000 kms and this is my ordeal. The issue cropped up somewhere between 1200 to 1500 kms.

I thought of sharing this in the wider group to for everyone’s benefit so that they can proactively be alert and avoid ending up with a failed suspension in a remote location.

I have all documentation with me but super frustrated to upload them. But I can share it with anyone if they are in need of it.

Seeing Mahindra ways of working, highly doubtful if the XUV700 wud have got the ride and handling package without the insights from Ford!
Attached Thumbnails
Suspension problem on my Mahindra XUV700 | RHS is sitting lower-20220413_113758.jpg  

Suspension problem on my Mahindra XUV700 | RHS is sitting lower-20220413_113829.jpg  

Last edited by adneo : 27th April 2022 at 19:52.
adneo is offline   (78) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 20:53   #2
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneo View Post
Seeing Mahindra ways of working, highly doubtful if the XUV700 wud have got the ride and handling package without the insights from Ford!
Sorry to hear all that. Such incidences are gravely frustrating.

I suggest you raise your issue on Mahindra customer care's twitter handle and copy Anand Mahindra while making a reference to your above post with a link.Mr Mahindra himself recognised team BHP community when XUV700 became COTY. I somewhere read that Mahindra Customer Care mostly functions best through twitter.

I believe, all people who either own or have queued up for their XUV700s would be concerned with your ordeal and subsequent lack of competence or professionalism from dealerships or Mahindra, in general, and will be watching the resolutions carefully for their future decision making. Mahindra must root cause such issues properly and fix them appropriately to gain the confidence.

All tech in the car becomes useless if means to carry them on road is not reliable.

Which dealer(s) did you take your car to in Bangalore?

Best of luck with your escalations on twitter.
waypoint is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 21:33   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by waypoint View Post
Sorry to hear all that. Such incidences are gravely frustrating.

I believe, all people who either own or have queued up for their XUV700s would be concerned with your ordeal and subsequent lack of competence or professionalism from dealerships or Mahindra, in general, and will be watching the resolutions carefully for their future decision making. Mahindra must root cause such issues properly and fix them appropriately to gain the confidence.

All tech in the car becomes useless if means to carry them on road is not reliable.

Which dealer(s) did you take your car to in Bangalore?
Thank you for your support. I am trying all avenues of getting support but someone spending 30 L should not have to go through this experience. Unfortunately in India Inhave rarely come across shining examples of post sales support and experience.

I went to PPS Mahindra and while they listened to me, they are handicapped and limited by what nonsense gets fed by the Mahindra chaps. Why on Earth will a manufacturer ask a dealer to arrange for a vehicle and take readings where as they have the bloody specs, they have a plant rolling out cars and this isnt a case where a foreign manufacturer can say oh Indian conditions vary so sorry local test has to be done.

The whole point of going with a Indian manufacturer was to get around all these and it very unfortunate that Team Mahindra doesnt realise how much it means to go for 30 L car from a Indian brand. And they have just proved all those sayings right with the experience I am going through absolutely mad.

" We havent heard this from any other customer!" How on earth is that supposed to help, solve justify the issue?!

" We are waiting for an identical vehicle! - Dealer" how can Mahindra ask this! There are so many variable which makes this exercise stupid and futile. Kms run, abuse taken by the suspension etc. Mahindra has got the bloody specs, a plant full of new cars with all combos/trims/specs.

Its just terrible that there is an absolute lack of urgency in understanding, analyzing and resolving the problem.
adneo is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 21:58   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Its just terrible that there is an absolute lack of urgency in understanding, analyzing and resolving the problem.
One thing I understood after going through some frustrating experience (Red Rage - Mahindra XUV7OO - Initial Ownership Review) is that the senior leaders in Mahindra is empathetic and make sure you get a prompt resolution. I shall PM you a contact, most likely you get a response within a day. Meantime, ensure that the repair entry in with you hamesha app has all the precise details, and also that the ASC is raising a TAR (Technical Assistance Report). Given you mentioned that Mahindra asked the dealer to compare with another similar vehicle indicates that a TAR is not raised; and the tech team is not involved. I had observed in my case that the ASC has some reluctance in raising a TAR. Which service center of PPS did you take the car to?
impala is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 22:04   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala View Post
One thing I understood after going through some frustrating experience (Red Rage - Mahindra XUV7OO - Initial Ownership Review) is that the senior leaders in Mahindra is empathetic and make sure you get a prompt resolution. I shall PM you a contact, most likely you get a response within a day. Meantime, ensure that the repair entry in with you hamesha app has all the precise details, and also that the ASC is raising a TAR (Technical Assistance Report). Given you mentioned that Mahindra asked the dealer to compare with another similar vehicle indicates that a TAR is not raised; and the tech team is not involved. I had observed in my case that the ASC has some reluctance in raising a TAR. Which service center of PPS did you take the car to?
Thank you so much for your support. I will definitely reach out to the contact you shared. Thanks again.

I took the car to PPS Thanisandra.
adneo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 22:33   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala View Post
Please make sure to rate them 0 when somebody from Mahindra calls you. Also, rate and share your experience on google reviews. I recently did this and saw significant difference with same service center. I understand this will not solve your immediate problem but it will help you in the next one.
Piyush_DT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 07:02   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Suspension problem on my Mahindra XUV700 | RHS is sitting lower

Thanks for sharing, adneo! Moving your post out to a new thread so as to warn others. A new thread means 100X the views & 100X the visibility in search engines, including Google.

@ BHPians, if you should spot any good post in an existing thread that deserves its own new thread, please report the post and we'll move it out for greater visibility.

Thank you!
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 08:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Ah! The classic case of bathtub reliability curve!

Suspension problem on my Mahindra XUV700 | RHS is sitting lower-1280pxbathtub_curve.svg.png

Reference/Courtesy:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve

All car companies know this but what Mahindra did make me check whether the thread was about a Skoda.

Stuff can fail during the early days and that's ok. What's important is that the manufacturer promptly replaces the failed part at the earliest. Big screw-up by the Mahindra service team.They deserve more blame than the quality control team.
Turbohead is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 10:20   #9
BANNED

Sorry to hear about your predicament but guess you gave this very important bit of advice from the team bhp review a miss:

Suspension problem on my Mahindra XUV700 | RHS is sitting lower-730c3b40c8954d919f5030fd2be76fe2.jpeg

It’s getting difficult to ascertain who is worse in this area - Tata Or Mahindra.
EV NXT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 10:29   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I did post about soft suspension of XUV700 sagging under load.

Check it out here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5215285 (Mahindra XUV700 Review)

Suspension problem on my Mahindra XUV700 | RHS is sitting lower-20211214_124640.jpg

I did not expect it to sag permanently. Sorry to hear about the issue. Hope Mahindra comes up with a solution at the earliest.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 10:52   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

The difference is not 10mm from your pics. It is more like ~6mm from the center of the wheel hub to the bodyline. Every car will have this difference of few mm on either side. More frequently on the rear side than the front. This is a negligible difference.

Can you share a pic where we can see the sagging of the vehicle? Also, in case the XUV7OO has independent suspension at the rear and the fuel tank is on one side of the car then the springs on that side will get compressed more compared to the other side due to the weight of the fuel in the fuel tank. If the side which is sagging more is the side where the fuel tank is present then try doing the measurement with an almost empty fuel tank.

There are other suspension components which will influence the way the vehicle behaves around corners. To rule out problem with the springs, swap the left and right springs and then measure the ride height after driving for some distance. If after swapping the springs , the sag shifts to the other side then you can be sure that the particular spring is weak. Again, do all this with an almost empty fuel tank to cancel the weight of fuel on the springs

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 28th April 2022 at 10:54.
sagarpadaki is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 11:03   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
I would have preferred not to go public with my ordeal, since I am a strong supporter of Indian products and the XUV700 was a step I took to show my support and try to break the cliche that Indian products can’t be good.
The XUV700 has a problem with its suspension package. It is clunky and sags a lot. Mahindra will never accept it as a fault as they do not have an alternative and neither do they want to issue a recall. They will waste your time comparing it with other XUV. If you want a solution, you will have to take a tough stand.
Abhikumar629 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 11:42   #13
BHPian

We know how this country builds it's roads, what's surprising about how India builds the cars that go on them!? It's ironic that both the car and the attitude of hands that build them can be defined by the same slogan - Chalta hai!
AnAntinspired is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 11:45   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The difference is not 10mm from your pics. It is more like ~6mm from the center of the wheel hub to the bodyline. Every car will have this difference of few mm on either side. More frequently on the rear side than the front. This is a negligible difference.

Can you share a pic where we can see the sagging of the vehicle? Also, in case the XUV7OO has independent suspension at the rear and the fuel tank is on one side of the car then the springs on that side will get compressed more compared to the other side due to the weight of the fuel in the fuel tank. If the side which is sagging more is the side where the fuel tank is present then try doing the measurement with an almost empty fuel tank.

There are other suspension components which will influence the way the vehicle behaves around corners. To rule out problem with the springs, swap the left and right springs and then measure the ride height after driving for some distance. If after swapping the springs , the sag shifts to the other side then you can be sure that the particular spring is weak. Again, do all this with an almost empty fuel tank to cancel the weight of fuel on the springs
The best reference for measurement is the outer rim of the wheel hub cap as that's a static perimeter and if you bend down to get eyes at level you will see that it exactly 10 mm.

I have a video I shot with in which the tilt of the car was validated using a spirit leveling gauge. Unfortunately, I was in my Jockey boxers, so wasn't able to share it here. If you are interested please, PM me with your number and I can share it with you.

BTW, it's just not the rear but both front and rear RHS ride heights have come down and it was validated against a normal Diesel AT variant.

My point is simple. The first thing any OE would ask for is to take the struts out and check compression rates, damages, leaks etc. But they are just giving me a run around.

They still don't realise that because of the capabilities of the car, they will get a lot of car lunatics like me as customers for the XUV700 and they just need to up their game.

BTW, I had also told them that through deeper potholes, when the strut hits the bump stops, it makes a seriously loud metallic noise which scares the daylights out of the passengers and they casually said that its normal!

Seriously? I take my TJet over the same stretch and it just makes a heavily muted thud in the worst case.

Last edited by GTO : 29th April 2022 at 07:55. Reason: typo
adneo is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 11:55   #15
BHPian

This is pathetic to see, and I really hope you get a resolution for this soon. It's also why I never recommend any of my loved ones to go for Tata or Mahindra if they are thinking of spending anything above 10 lakhs. They might be trying but they are streets behind the Japanese and Germans when it comes to sorting out fundamental issues like these before they hand over the vehicle to the customer. The service levels in general are also quite government like in it's pace and ability to solve problems proactively, though this might differ from one dealership to the other, and this is based on inputs I've received from friends who purchased a Tata or Mahindra in the last 3 years because it was 'Indian Made' and 'safer'. It's a way of hoodwinking the average Indian by any means necessary and it's high time we demand better products or speak with our wallets.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks