Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2022, 19:14   #1
BHPian

Grrrr noise from Tata Harrier on full steering turn

Grrr noise coming from my Tata Harrier automatic on U turns

Hello Bhpians

There is a grrr noise and vibration feeling that I get from my car since I got it from showroom. It’s an automatic Harrier XZA Dec 21 model. I have done 6k kms on the odometer.

The problem only comes when I turn the steering to the max on both the directions, usually during taking a U turn.

During the second free service I elaborated the problem to the SE from Prerna Motors Bangalore. The SE acknowledged the problem and said Steering Bleeding will solve the problem. I got my car back today but the problem still persists.

Can someone help me diagnose the issue ? Could it be the faulty steering pump or faulty steering rack?
Looking for some suggestions to figure out the problem

Last edited by Aditya : 4th June 2022 at 05:50. Reason: Spacing
kapilnitdg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 19:48   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Grrrr noise from Tata Harrier on full steering turn

I assume your car has hydraulic power steering? Perfectly normal and you will find a bit of noise on any hydraulic steering gear at its max.

What happens is that in the max position and you still trying to turn the wheel a pressure relief valve opens. The steering rack in the max position bumps into a mechanical stop. In order not to damage anything, the relief valve in the hydraulic pumps opens. That is the brrrr noise you hear and you might feel a bit of a vibration in the steering wheel. But as soon as you release the pressure from the max deflection position it will be gone.

Hydraulic steering pump are self priming (positive displacement), so de air ing them isn’t really necessary. They do that by themselves when moving the steering wheel from right to left and back again.

Enjoy your car!

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (70) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 12:19   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
What happens is that in the max position and you still trying to turn the wheel a pressure relief valve opens. The steering rack in the max position bumps into a mechanical stop. In order not to damage anything, the relief valve in the hydraulic pumps opens. That is the brrrr noise you hear and you might feel a bit of a vibration in the steering wheel. But as soon as you release the pressure from the max deflection position it will be gone.
Beautifully explained by Jeroen!

There was a Youtuber from Kerala who got a Safari and kept on complaining about the same noise as the OP has mentioned. However that guy took it beyond limits just to gain views! (Deliberately not mentioning the name as I don't want him to gather any more views than he already has).
Geo_Ipe is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 16:32   #4
BHPian

The noise coming when steering one one side the fullest extent, need not be always normal, even for hydraulic power steering.

Some plausible reasons could be
PS pump (Sound from front wheels while turning the steering at standstill)

PS Pump Leak (Sound from front wheels while turning the steering at standstill)

Strut bearings wearing off (Sound from front wheels while turning the steering at standstill)

several other reasons

Best to get inspected.
cs_rajesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 16:35   #5
BHPian

As far as I know, this should be a normal behaviour unless the noise / vibrations are too harsh. In which case a service station visit would be warranted.

Ideally, the steering should not be turned to the limits. It's better to turn until around 80% of its full range.
Old 3rd June 2022, 17:15   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilnitdg View Post
There is a grrr noise and vibration feeling that I get from my car since I got it from showroom. It’s an automatic Harrier XZA Dec 21 model. I have done 6k kms on the odometer.
Similar to this one from the Safari thread - I do not think its normal hydraulic power steering behavior as the Safari we have does not have this problem - For now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjiramu View Post
Dear All,

I need some inputs on a weird issue I started observing on my brand new Tata Safari Dark which just completed 1 month anniversary.

I started noticing weird grinding sound when steering is rotated to either left or right at low speeds.

Initially I thought it to be due to tire pressure. But, after correcting the tire pressure the issue is still persisting.

The more miles are getting added to the car the issue is becoming more prominent and moved from annoyance level to irritation and dissatisfaction.

Since, I had completed 2K on odometer, I got it serviced at nearby Tata Service Centre. SA says its the tire sound but I am not satisfied with the answer and hence posting here.

I did some more digging and could isolate and reproduce the issue.

- From 8secs in video you can hear a hard grinding sound when steering is slightly moved.
- Issue occurs while driving and taking turns and doesn't occur when not running.
- Issue reproduces when engine is revved in neutral and steering is slightly rotated.
- Issue does NOT occur when engine is not revved.
- AC on/off is irrelevant for this sound issue.

https://Youtu.be/LnnS2NgCzII

Fellow forum members, please share your thoughts what this issue could be on a brand new car.

I hope TATA takes some action before dissatisfaction moves into regret for me.
Old 3rd June 2022, 17:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Even I am of the opinion that this is normal behaviour of hydraulic power steering (HPS). This is present in both Punto that we own since more than a decade.

I developed a habit of rotating the steering back by 2-3 degrees if I hit extreme so that the irritating noise and steering vibrations are not felt.
PaddleShifter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 18:49   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilnitdg View Post
[h3]Grrr noise ... only comes when I turn the steering to the max on both the directions, usually during taking a U turn
Happens on my Punto too, it complains as if I am hurting it. So I take care to not turn it fully, even if it means n+1 point turn instead of n.

OT: Didn't know Harrier steering is HPS unit too.
mayukh42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 21:41   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh42 View Post
Happens on my Punto too, it complains as if I am hurting it. So I take care to not turn it fully, even if it means n+1 point turn instead of n.

OT: Didn't know Harrier steering is HPS unit too.
Never happened with my Punto in last 8 years of ownership with U turns taken at varying speeds. While there could be technical explanation to it but if it happens in select few and not all, then it should be investigated, at least in case car is under warranty.
Old 3rd June 2022, 22:31   #10
BHPian

I hear this sound in my Elite i20.
The problem is that it doesn't happen all the time and whenever I visited the HASS, I was unable to demo this issue to them
Old 3rd June 2022, 23:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NirmalK View Post
I hear this sound in my Elite i20.
The problem is that it doesn't happen all the time and whenever I visited the HASS, I was unable to demo this issue to them
OT: EPS motor failure is a fairly common issue in Hyundais of this era and thats what causes this noise. Have replaced the motor in my 2014 verna twice already. I am surprised the HASS has not pushed for a replacement already. They are very well acquainted with this issue.
Old 4th June 2022, 18:50   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatDiesel View Post
if it happens in select few and not all, then it should be investigated, at least in case car is under warranty.
Yeah, told the service guys some years back, they said it happens in HPS, so learnt to live with it.

The car is now almost 4 years out of (extended) warranty
mayukh42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 12:13   #13
BHPian

Update:: I visited the service center again, they have suggested to change the hydraulic pump as a new harrier parked there did not have this issue.
Fingers crossed, waiting for the part to arrive and then will take the car again. Looks like they have changed the pump design recently as a lot of owners complained about this issue being present on some of the cars. Speaks a lot about the quality chek
kapilnitdg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 16:01   #14
BHPian

Hi Kapil, do you hear any noise when you brake, right before the car comes to a stop? Even at low speeds (>5kmph), when I gradually brake, there is a noise that somewhat reminds me of something rubbing together. Not exactly a metallic noise, but there is a noise for sure.
Old 23rd June 2022, 18:48   #15
BHPian

As advised by a trusted mechanic decade ago, I used this to check the king pin and connector couplings/Ball joints prior to buying a used Toyota Certfied Corolla in 2012 and Toyota Certified RAV4 in 2019 in USA. No Noise. No trouble till date, with either of the two.
Also I test by driving straight, take hands off the Steering wheel and brake gradually and hard both, to see if the Car drags to any side.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks