Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2007, 19:19   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
About 2 months back i got the a/c belt changed as it was worn out and also used to make a screeching noise on cold starts. After the belt was changed the pinging noise has started.
Try removing the A/C belt & then check for the noise.
Old 19th June 2007, 19:34   #17
Team-BHP Support

if its ac then sound shouldn come when you drive without the AC ON, is that so??

timing belt issue will not show up in timing check if done using a timing light, mech will have to inspect the marks on the wheels which need to coincide while fixing the timing belt.

also ensure all your ignition wires and spark plugs are in order before you do anything.

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th June 2007 at 19:38.
Old 19th June 2007, 19:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
if its ac then sound shouldn come when you drive without the AC ON, is that so??

timing belt issue will not show up in timing check if done using a timing light.
The sound is present even when the a/c is switched off. And it can be heard only after 2.5k RPM. Will get the timing belt checked and the a/c belt removed and go for a test drive. Gotta check 'em plugs too. I must have got them replaced a couple of months back when the car was serviced. cant remember.

If that solves the issue, i will need to get the tappet's reset.

Also wanna say that i really appreciate the prompt replies. keep 'em coming guys, i desperately need them. thanks a million. how i wish i was in blore...

Last edited by n_aditya : 19th June 2007 at 19:44.
Old 19th June 2007, 19:48   #19
Team-BHP Support

no need to remove ac belt and check!! when you switch off ac, it will have minimal load!!

also since its happening above 2.5k rpm check your timing advance mechanism before you do anything, ask mech to check the timing advance when reved along with that at idle.

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th June 2007 at 19:49.
Old 19th June 2007, 20:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
no need to remove ac belt and check!! when you switch off ac, it will have minimal load!!

also since its happening above 2.5k rpm check your timing advance mechanism before you do anything, ask mech to check the timing advance when reved along with that at idle.
thanks Jaggu, will have the timing advance (and belt) checked along with the plug's.

anything else i need to look out for?
Old 20th June 2007, 10:11   #21
Team-BHP Support

nothing that comes to mind, am just quoting some from my very limited experience
Old 23rd June 2007, 11:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

here is an update.

Left the car over @ Kapico on Thu mornin. Clearly told the person incharge to ensure that the tappets are adjusted as normal (like it is for every other esteem) as its too tight in low rev's.

Asked him to check all belts (tension, wear etc), plugs, timing (yet again), clean O2 sensor, throttle body.

The car is currently in the body shop undergoing minor dent removal and major scratches removal from front bumper (they badly scraped some other car when i had left it over last week).

was supposed to pick up the car in the mornin, but apparently they again screwed up. This time while painting the front bumper. Repainting in progress. Getting the car delivered to my office in the afternoon. Will take a nice long TD and then report back to the service center to clear my bill or my arteries. will update the progress soon.

Thnx for the inputs folks. Do feel free to suggest anything else i need to pay attention to.
Old 23rd June 2007, 12:52   #23
BHPian

Aditya - My advice, if you want it that is - keep it simple. Try changing the plugs. Infact closer inspection of the plugs will indicate the cylinder / cylinders in which you are getting detonation (and as a result pinging). take it from there.
Old 23rd June 2007, 21:05   #24
BANNED

pinking noise is more renowed with tappets . do an oil service and check the tappets
Old 23rd June 2007, 21:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

Try this.. Do that.. Remove this.. dont touch that.. God!!!
So much trouble due to one engine.. Throw it away.. Get the 1.3Twin cam with Headers and probably turbo it.. with the turbo whine and the normal grunt all this pinging winging noise wont be heard.

Godfather
Old 25th June 2007, 11:38   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Get the 1.3Twin cam with Headers and probably turbo it.. Godfather
Exactly. Contemplating on buying an used esteem (MPFI) and soupin it up big time while this one goes back to being bone stock. Turbo would be out of the budget for now at least but hey donations are welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Aditya - My advice, if you want it that is - keep it simple. Try changing the plugs. Infact closer inspection of the plugs will indicate the cylinder / cylinders in which you are getting detonation (and as a result pinging). take it from there.
Farhan, thanks for ur advice. It did help in rectifying the issue. I asked the technician to reset the tappets back to normal setting, check plugs etc. Apparently all 4 plugs were worn out and were replaced and the pinging noise has almost vanished. Wonder why those guys didnt check the plugs even after i specifically asked them to.

Can hear the pinging noise very slightly now (just for a second or so) but there is some violent jerking when i brake to a stop (when the car almost stops like at 5 or 10 kmph even when clutch is depressed) which i was told is due to bad fuel (the service station filled some fuel from a nearby bunk as the car was very low on fuel).

This is what i am gonna do. Get IOC premium filled in today evening (to rule out bad fuel story) and on saturday head to electra for a second look.

I want to tank everyone for their inputs and advice. Thanks a lot folks. I really appreciate it.
Old 10th July 2007, 15:34   #27
Senior - BHPian

Phew... after a few harrowing weeks my pinging noise issue is finally rectified.

Had gone to a popular workshop on saturday and the timing was checked yet again. Tappets and timing was re-adjusted (tappet adjustment on a hot engine???) and my pinging noise was more than ever. i was told that the valves would need grinding or replacement. Approx cost - b/w 3k and 6k.

I couldnt fathom this news. My car had barely run 40,000 kms and less than 15,000 kms on the free flow mod's. Valves were fried so soon? i failed to believe it. After a few frantic calls over the weekend, i was suggested to head to a mechanic (who also works on slipstream's esteem and a race esteem that runs on the race track near chennai, apart from other cars).

The mechanic took the car for a spin, adjusted the timing (which was previously set to 14 degrees) back to 8 degrees. Another spin later he confirmed that the noise was significantly reduced. Had to get my clutch replaced so i left the car over for the day.

In the meantime, the tappets also were adjusted (after the engine cooled down).

Picked up the car today morning. MGA clutch assembly was used (ceekay). Took the drivers seat, started the car, engaged the clutch and surprise - i couldnt feel anything. it was so soft. It felt like i was pressing an imaginary clutch. Drove the car for a km or so and it was as smooth as butter. No rattles, no pinging, no other noise other than the engine hum and the exhaust note.

I was so thrilled and i heaved a sigh of relief. thanks to all for all the advice and suggestions. I appreciate all the support guys.
Old 10th July 2007, 21:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

Good for you, man. Also nice of you to update again, so that we all can know what exactly was wrong.
Old 11th July 2007, 02:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

Use some good fuel injector cleaner (atleast for once). Infact you use the IFFTEX G and the premium Fuel, that prevents any present or future gum build up. But what if there has been considerable injector gumming before using these. Anyway continueing to use IFFTEX G may eventually take out all the deposits, but a Fuel injector cleaner will do it faster for you.
Old 11th July 2007, 08:38   #30
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Pinking, pinging and knocking are all the same thing.
Pinking is the classic British spelling -- the term we used back when Jawaharlal Nehru was our PM.

Normally, the plug creates a flame front which smoothly burns the air-fuel mixture, typically from 15 degrees before TDC to 15 degrees after TDC.
But if the unburned fuel-mix explodes before the the flame front can reach it, the explosion extinguishes the flame front. So you get dramatically less power and hear the detonation as a metallic ringing sound.
The excessive pressures of the explosion will destroy the engine, if allowed to persist for a long time. The cylinder walls will look like the surface of the moon.

And this brings us to the classic leaded fuel, unleaded fuel debate. Lead was added to petrol in the old days to serve as an anti-knock agent. Putting unleaded in a Morris Minor will certainly cause knocking. You have to retard the ignition for modern unleaded fuel.

Good to hear, you've solved your problem
Ram

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks