Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2017, 20:03   #46
BHPian

re: How to Clean the Engine Bay?

Thought I should share this video on how to clean the engine bay on this thread. Also illustrates many misktakes people might be making during the cleaning/detailing process.

Though many may consider cleaning the engine bay a waste of time given the Indian road conditions, some of us still like it spanking clean.

Tanmay K is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 23:55   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
Thought I should share this video on how to clean the engine bay on this thread. Also illustrates many misktakes people might be making during the cleaning/detailing process.
The video you linked involves lot of wastages. He tells you to use microfibers to sop up the dirt, once any grease/gunk gets on it, you cannot use it again despite washing. You'll have to bin them. Using 10-15 microfibers to wash an engine bay is wasteful IMO.

This is a pragmatic approach to cleaning an engine bay

Once the engine is squeaky clean, I use a regimen similar to below video for maintenance washes, except I dont use any dressing.

For the proof of pudding, I have shared pictures of my engine bay here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post4218136
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 14:24   #48
BHPian

In our place, when we take a car to some of the service stations, they open up the hood and clean the engine bay also. I never allowed anyone to do it on my cars and I have a reason for it.
IT'S NOT SAFE.!
There are a lot of things that can go wrong due to the high pressure washer including the wiring harness,fuse box and even the ECU.
If you really want a cleaner engine bay, just wipe using a damp cloth or something. Never use a pressure washer as in the service station if you love your car. And always make sure you have covered all the electrical connections in case you are using water as it is.
Anyway, you cannot maintain a perfectly clean engine bay in our roads.
( It's all my personal opinion )
JozfGT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 10:45   #49
Senior - BHPian

actually, if you take a few precautions, it is perfectly safe to clean engine bay with pressure washer. Here is how you can go about it as safe as possible. First use a dry cloth to remove dust from engine wherever possible. Then apply a degreaser in 1:10 ratio with water and use bottle sprayer to spray it all over the engine, esp in dirty nooks & crannies. Let it dwell for 10-15 mins. Use a toothbrush or some brush and agitate all surfaces and crannies with grease and muck.

Now you can use pressure washer and blow away the grime. Just hold the nozzle at a metre or two away from the engine bay and do not point it directly for more than 2 secs at electrical connectors, alternator, starter etc. Keep moving nozzle all over and do not hold direct spray over any particular part for more than a moment. Nothing will go wrong with this method. The engine bay will remain clean for over 6 months with this method.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 09:56   #50
BHPian

Quote:
In our place, when we take a car to some of the service stations, they open up the hood and clean the engine bay also. I never allowed anyone to do it on my cars and I have a reason for it.
IT'S NOT SAFE.!
Looks like it has become a common practice across service centres. Recently I had taken my vehicle for first free service. I always get the service done in my presence. While it came to cleaning , I was horrified to see how they were cleaning the engine bay with pressure washer, absolutely unnecessary.

I told the SA to not clean the engine bay . He assured that they wouldn’t . I was not taking any chances though , I stood there keeping an eye on them. When my vehicle’s turn arrived , the washer popped the hood. I ran towards him asking him to not clean the engine bay.

I took my car after it was cleaned. When my turn arrived to give them feedback , I raised a complaint against SA for showing such callous attitude towards customers. And as expected I got a call back from him with an apology and to take back the complaint.

I am not sure who started this trend of cleaning engine bays with pressure wash. I had not noticed this before. It’s clearly mentioned in the user manual NOT to spray water on engine bay.

Next time, I will write it down in the form to NOT wash the car altogether. I will do it myself.
vj_torqueaddict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 18:34   #51
BHPian

While i agree that cleaning the engine bay should not be a daily affair but again the detailer in yourself takes over and one has to clean the bay.
What i usally follow is spray the bay with 1:10 APC and then i use the the long handle brush which has bristles through and through and use it to scrub the engine bay thoroughly.Good part is since the brush has a decent length you can go scrub deep in the engine bay.Post that i use a manual sprayer and spray the engine bay .Post that dry the bay with a mf towel.

As far as the service centers are concerned i once visited a 3M centre for washing and this guy did a perfect job of cleaning the bay.
He followed the below steps:-
1.Cleaned the bay using the air pressure to remove all the dirt.
2.Sprayed water using pressure washer from a distance just enough to cover the whole engine bay.
3.Used air pressure again thoroughly to get rid of water in and out of engine bay.

Overall i was impressed with the results specially when no APC used in the whole process.
Attached Thumbnails
How to Clean the Engine Bay?-20201031_182901_01.jpg  

Last edited by Artyom : 31st October 2020 at 18:56.
Old 31st October 2020, 18:43   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Every single car in the family has had its engine bay cleaned with no ill effects. Cleaning is performed after the engine is left to cool off for about 20 minutes with the hood open. You really don't want a jet of cold water on a hot engine block or head.

But I take a few precautions mainly never to direct the high pressure jet at electronic parts be it fuse box, ECU (if in the engine bay), brake fluid reservoir, ABS and of course the alternator. Indirect spray/wash on these components will do no harm but a direct blast may be very problematic.

Some cars especially the Europeans are very sensitive and I believe it is better not to clean the bay with a pressure washer. Use a low pressure garden hose, degreaser and plenty of cleaning rags and cover sensitive components with plastic bags or stay away from them altogether.
Old 31st October 2020, 19:01   #53
Senior - BHPian

I just pour a bucketful or two of water with a mug once in a while when the engine is cold. And use an old brush to clean lightly wherever required.
Old 2nd November 2020, 19:42   #54
BHPian

Inspired by the posts did a Engine detailing session followed by a Waterless Wash.

Followed the below steps:-

1.Sprayed the bay with APC(Bilt Hamber Sufex HD 1:20)
2.After waiting for 10 minutes used a long handle brush to agitae the surface as best i could.
3.Using a manual sprayer sprayed the bay with water .
4.Used a MF towel and dried as much water and kept the bonet open for 2-3 hours to let the bay dry.
4.Used Carpro Perl (1:2) and sprayed the engine bay again followed by cleaning with a MF towel.
Attached Thumbnails
How to Clean the Engine Bay?-20201102_080125.jpg  

How to Clean the Engine Bay?-20201102_150053.jpg  

How to Clean the Engine Bay?-20201102_151105.jpg  

How to Clean the Engine Bay?-20201102_152246.jpg  

How to Clean the Engine Bay?-20201102_152352.jpg  

How to Clean the Engine Bay?-20201102_152252.jpg  

How to Clean the Engine Bay?-20201102_152255.jpg  

How to Clean the Engine Bay?-20201102_152407.jpg  

Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 08:46   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
Inspired by the posts did a Engine detailing session followed by a Waterless Wash.
Never been a fan of Waterless wash, but pics look all too delicious.

I wash engine bays of our cars with home pressure washer and also use the same car wash foam used for body. Two points that I care is

1. Never to take my pressure washer jet closer than 2 foot from the surface and the nozzle is in spray mode than a sharp stream.
2. Engine is not started before and after wash use handblower to remove all excess water. Works wonder and I learnt this trick very recently from YouTube car detailing babas.

The mistake that most make is use strong stream in nozzle to wash the engine bay which indeed breaks stuff. Yours truly's radiator grills were damaged (~5 %) when he allowed car washing guys to use industrial pressure washer too close to the car grills. My mistake thoroughly.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:52   #56
BANNED

Cleaned the engine bay after a long time using pressure washer and then used the blower to get rid of trapped water in nooks and crannies.

Dont have a straight picture
How to Clean the Engine Bay?-img_20201031_132343__01_copy_768x1258.jpg
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:07   #57
Team-BHP Support

I had not cleaned the engine bay in ages! Did it during this Dussehra during the car wash session. Used a garden hose to wash down the engine bay followed by a degreaser + dishwash liquid application along with a brush.

Before:

How to Clean the Engine Bay?-img_20201025_084330.jpg

After:

How to Clean the Engine Bay?-img_20201025_104921.jpg

Not clean by Leoshashi standards but this will do.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:39   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Never been a fan of Waterless wash, but pics look all too delicious.
Even I was not a fan of Waterless wash some time ago but gradually after trying all 3(Regular wash,Waterless Wash,Rinseless wash) i felt for light dirt and grime the regular wash is an overkill and Rinseless wash tad too messy.
I have tweaked the Waterless method to give almost similar results as a regular wash.
Moreover I have observed that Waterless wash solution has more lubricity than regular & rinseless washes leading to less swirls and marks.
Infact yesterday I saw a product from ProKlear which is a waterless foam wash concentrate meant to take care of tough dirt . Foam + Waterless wash meaning equal results with quater of water used.
Regular wash IMHO is a must during monsoons and post long trips.
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 11:56   #59
BHPian

I just blow off the dust using a dry cloth first, then wipe the engine bay using a damp cloth. I do it once a month or twice. Engine bay looks clean and no leaves left on top of cowl which is prone to rust.
How to Clean the Engine Bay?-city-engine-2.jpeg

How to Clean the Engine Bay?-city-engine-3.jpeg

How to Clean the Engine Bay?-city-engine-4.jpeg

How to Clean the Engine Bay?-city-engine-1.jpeg

I clean my car and rarely give it to water wash.
Old 3rd April 2022, 01:32   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I had not cleaned the engine bay in ages! Did it during this Dussehra during the car wash session. Used a garden hose to wash down the engine bay followed by a degreaser + dishwash liquid application along with a brush.

Before:

Attachment 2075733

After:

Attachment 2075734

Not clean by Leoshashi standards but this will do.
Hey Gannu,

Some careless car washing guy used solid pressure washer for engine cleaning. My heart dropped but don't know why I didn't stop him. Later on I asked him to dry it ASAP using a cloth with light hands.

Would there be any repercussions ? It's a VW Polo TSI HLP manual, 2021 model..car started fine after all that but I am really worried

Most Viewed