Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2011, 13:27   #46
BHPian

Re: Matiz Engine getting over heated and Water in radiater getting evaporated frequen

The OP describes the classic signs of a blown head gasket. That remains the most likely diagnosis amongst the other possibilities mentioned.

Running the engine like this will increase the chances of damage to other components too, and an early repair is to be encouraged.
Old 1st March 2011, 18:52   #47

Re: Matiz Overheating & Mileage Problem

Hi Friends,
I got my engine checked for Over heating problem.After opening the engine we came to know that head got worn out and there and the water holes got warn out to the cylinder opening this is the reason for water entering to engine.Mechanic informed that it is once faced and hence there is no material left to do facing on that head plate.So he is informing that engine head needs to be replaced and the valves needs to be changed.He is informing that it might cost arount 13k to 15k.
My Car ran for 60K km.So it worth to replace it with a new head or to check for a second hand original spare.I am staying n Pune please suggest where can i get the second hand spares for Matiz in Mumbai or Pune.
hv kumar did you encountered such a problem with your matiz please suggest.

Thanks in advance,
Kishore
Old 1st March 2011, 19:44   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kchittilla View Post
Hi Friends,
I got my engine checked for Over heating problem.After opening the engine we came to know that head got worn out and there and the water holes got warn out to the cylinder opening this is the reason for water entering to engine.Mechanic informed that it is once faced and hence there is no material left to do facing on that head plate.So he is informing that engine head needs to be replaced and the valves needs to be changed.He is informing that it might cost arount 13k to 15k.
My Car ran for 60K km.So it worth to replace it with a new head or to check for a second hand original spare.I am staying n Pune please suggest where can i get the second hand spares for Matiz in Mumbai or Pune.
hv kumar did you encountered such a problem with your matiz please suggest.

Thanks in advance,
Kishore
I doubt if you will get a new head. Nowadays, in the Bombay region, all old Matizes have landed up in Kurla and all parts are available in the second hand market there. That is where I got a used gear box when one of the sliding gears failed and my mechanic was unable a new one in the spares market (in Lamington Road, Bombay). So what would have been an expense of around Rs 2000 ended up at Rs 6,000, by swapping my old gearbox for the new one.
Old 19th June 2011, 23:53   #49
BHPian

Dear fellow BHPians,
I bought a 2000 model SG Matiz from one of the colleagues in my company.
Its odo reading is 52K when i bought and the tyres were the OE with dates on it.
I am getting a poor mileage of 10 KM /Ltr in Bangalore city with 25 % A/C.

I did the following for overcoming this issue, but there is no improvement:
1. Replaced the spark plug
2.replaced engine oil, coolant,oil filter, fuel filter, fuel pump, air filter etc.
3.fitted new exhaust (star make)
4.Replaced new clutch assembly
5.replaced all shocks for decent ride.
6. Did proper tuning and tapped adjustments
7.Used injector cleaner fuilds along with petrol with 2 full tanks
8. flushed engine using cyclo and filled again new engine oil.
9. Gear oil is also new
10. All bearings are new.
11. serviced the Delco (distributor) and the wires are new.
12. EGR hose found disconnected but connected later.

After spending around 35K i( including 2 tyres) i am still getting bad mileage of 10 Km/L.
In cold start i can see that water is coming out of the exhaust after 2 mins of idling which shows a good combustion but still the mileage seems a mystery.
I am not sure about the quality of O2 sensors but the. pick is decent.
There is dip in the engine oil levels.

Can any of one guide me what to do?
After spending so much money i am in dilemma now. I've spent lot of time n effort to rectify this issue but still no results. I am filling shell petrol , full tank to full.

(Matiz is still in production in Uzbekhistan by a company called UZDaewoo, i have an old college mate from there, not sure if he can do something.

If u want to see the new matiz they produces see www.matiz2.ru )
Old 21st July 2011, 23:30   #50
BHPian

Hi all

I sold this Matiz and took another Matiz -99 model fully loaded one 1 month back. It was also owned by one of my colleagues, just run 40K KM but was not regulalrly used in last 3 years.
I got low mileage of 9 KM/L but i did not give up.
I asked the mechanic to take out the Oxygen sensors , idling AIR sensors and throttle body, i could see have carbon deposits there. I cleaned it with Cyclo carburator cleaner spray. Also added 3M injector cleaner to petrol.
Now the mileage in Bangalore traffic increased close to 12 KM/L with 35-40 % A/C on.
Now thinking of buying a Fiat diesel (punto/palio) due to high usage in city . But matiz is a cute car. Nice driving experiece also.
Old 22nd July 2011, 21:41   #51
Senior - BHPian

So you sold a Matiz with a bad fuel average to buy another Matiz with slightly not so bad mileage. thats just great.

Mileage also depends upon driving style. BTW dip in engine oil is a sign of block or piston rings giving away.
Old 22nd July 2011, 22:19   #52
BANNED

Our 2000 Matiz delivers an average FE of 13 - 14 kmpl - When driven by my Sis-in-law/my bro and Dad.

I drive the Matiz i get an average FE of 15 kmpl

And the FE is always with A/C ON.
Old 22nd July 2011, 23:33   #53
BHPian

Driving style makes a significant difference in FE.
My driving is mostly in dense traffic conditions, wth daily jams, long queues at traffic lights , so i've had to develop an economy mode driving style.
I eschew all zippy take-offs /hard braking, switch off at red lights or in jams where the traffic is not moving, switch on only when the car2-3 cars ahead of me start to move, acclerate/deaccelerate smoothly, try to anticipate stops, shift up as rapidly as possible into the top gear & don't cross 55-60 kmph.
In a nut shell, a completely boring style of driving, as befits a senior citizen!
But, FE wise, it gets results.
Kamal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 01:55   #54
BHPian

Mine 98 model Matiz has done over a lakh km recently. Never gave me below 15 km/l. Even with 100% AC. Result of sedate Driving style+Low traffic jams. Cheers.

Ps: After 1 lac km, the engine has lost some of its power. So now its a matter of whether driving it, or using the AC. You try both, and the car just becomes the laziest car alive. Totally refusing to accelerate.
Old 25th July 2013, 09:36   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.007 View Post
Mine 98 model Matiz has done over a lakh km recently. Never gave me below 15 km/l. Even with 100% AC. Result of sedate Driving style+Low traffic jams. Cheers.

Ps: After 1 lac km, the engine has lost some of its power. So now its a matter of whether driving it, or using the AC. You try both, and the car just becomes the laziest car alive. Totally refusing to accelerate.
Before you go further, have all the air filters, fuel filters, IAC cleaned/ changed. Power loss can happen due to these components. Please also check whether injectors are clipped on properly (if loose, there will be less injection) & for added measure, have them cleaned.

I doubt if the engine has any problems. My 1999 Matiz is 260,000 kms, did its first engine overhaul after 150,000 kms, that too only after it exhibited clear symptoms of engine misfiring, irregularity in engine rev, etc, and not due to power loss. One of the sure-shot of diagnosing engine health is to do a PUC test which will also indicate if emissions are over the limits.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 11:29   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

Before you go further, have all the air filters, fuel filters, IAC cleaned/ changed. Power loss can happen due to these components. Please also check whether injectors are clipped on properly (if loose, there will be less injection) & for added measure, have them cleaned.

I doubt if the engine has any problems. My 1999 Matiz is 260,000 kms, did its first engine overhaul after 150,000 kms, that too only after it exhibited clear symptoms of engine misfiring, irregularity in engine rev, etc, and not due to power loss. One of the sure-shot of diagnosing engine health is to do a PUC test which will also indicate if emissions are over the limits.
It actually may not be power loss, but rather low end torque loss. The car has overheated twice, due to coolant leak, and once driven in that condition for 2-3 kms, the driver only checked the temperature when the car started shuddering violently like it is going to fall apart. This particular incident occured at 90k kms, after which the car felt weak in the low revs, we got the head gasket and all that changed. We have bought a beat diesel (The perfect replacement to the ancestor Matiz ) and Matiz is now sparingly used and kept as a second car. It rattles badly, as of now due to financial limitidness we are just chugging the Matizu along (Yes we call her that :lol). I plan to kind of full restore and overhaul it with all that denting painting, alloy, engine remake, rattles rectified, etc, etc. Not in the world am I going to sell it.
But this modification is still years away as I am still a student and would only do such a thing after getting a job.
While Beat is serving us well, the ride and handling of Matiz is still legendary (read better than the Beat).
Old 26th July 2013, 09:22   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Dear fellow BHPians,
I bought a 2000 model SG Matiz from one of the colleagues in my company.
Its odo reading is 52K when i bought and the tyres were the OE with dates on it.
I am getting a poor mileage of 10 KM /Ltr in Bangalore city with 25 % A/C.

The mileage you are getting is quite decent for a vehicle which has run 52k, even new petrol cars give similar FE, how is the tyre condition and whether the clutch plate assembly was new one or refurbished and how do you feel the clutch in city driving condition.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 21:43   #58
BHPian

Thanks for the reply buddy.
It was an old post and i sold the car sometime back.
Now i am trying to get a good fuel efficiency out of a Ikon 1.6 2004 model.
But a small car should return anything 12-13 Km /L but considering the age and low investment 10km/l can be tolerated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
The mileage you are getting is quite decent for a vehicle which has run 52k, even new petrol cars give similar FE, how is the tyre condition and whether the clutch plate assembly was new one or refurbished and how do you feel the clutch in city driving condition.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks