Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2007, 17:31   #16
k36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicejits View Post
Even I have faced same problem as Sudipto… I stays in mumbai .. I have Zen vxi,,,, when heavy rain starts falling, I don’t start my AC On, cause it makes my windscreen foggy ( then I cant see even a car which is ther on 2Fts ) if I turns my heater on, the I sweats lie any thing,, pls tell me what do I do to have clear view from m car in heavy rains ?

Thx in advance
Jitendra
Use the AC and at the same time adjust temp-control dial to raise the temperature to ambient. AC will act as a dehumidifier, eliminating internal condensation and the windscreen with ambient temperature will not allow external condensation.
Old 27th June 2007, 19:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

I was talking about moisture gathering on the outer surface of the windscreen when it is not raining but the outside climate is extremely humid and the AC is on full blast inside. it happens more in the evening. as the glass gets cold it captures the moisture from the air outside and converts it into water that sits on the glass. this water can be wiped off using the wiper. but since it is not a lot of water and the water is formed right on the glass rather than fall on the glass like in a rain, this cleaning is not very effective, especially after a few wipes.

risga - you got it right in identifying the problem but the ac vents are directed towards my face . I guess I should not put the AC in full blast.
Old 29th June 2007, 11:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I was talking about moisture gathering on the outer surface of the windscreen when it is not raining but the outside climate is extremely humid and the AC is on full blast inside. it happens more in the evening. as the glass gets cold it captures the moisture from the air outside and converts it into water that sits on the glass. this water can be wiped off using the wiper. but since it is not a lot of water and the water is formed right on the glass rather than fall on the glass like in a rain, this cleaning is not very effective, especially after a few wipes.
Sudi, mostly when i face this problem, what i do is occasionally spray water from the jets onto the windscreen and run the wipers every now and then....

Other than that, you can try opening the vents of the ac, instead of putting it on recirculate mode. That way inside will be as humid as outside but a bit more cool.
Old 2nd July 2007, 05:19   #19
BANNED

I've seen a windscreen washer solution from Sonax that needs to be mixed with water in the wiper washer compartment which also claims to reduce the condensation. Has anyone used it ?

It's commonly seen in almost all the car accessory shops and the price is Rs.69 for the smaller bottle & Rs.299 for the bigger one !!!
Old 29th July 2007, 02:37   #20
sAP
BHPian

Tricks of the trade

Apply shaving foam (or cream with a moist brush) on both sides of the windscreen, Then wipe off with a dry cloth, without water.

This worked on the outer surface of my Dad's Fiat which had missing wiper blades in a storm. Hopefully shaving cream formulas haven't changed since then. Also prevents misting of helmet visors.

sAP
Old 29th July 2007, 02:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

The solution is the AC. The AC dehumidifies the internal air. Now the condensation that one sees on the "outside" of the car on a hot and humid day when the ac is on (similar to the condensation on the outside of a glass containing cold water) is different from the condensation that happens on the "inside" of the car during rains. For the former, it will be helpful to direct the airflow away from the screens (directed to the feet) and use the Temperature knob appropriately. (Remember in non climate control car the temperature knob actually channels a little bit of hot air when the knob is not in full position). On rainy days its the same thing, use the AC with the temperatureknob taken to a bit hotter zone (this is to onlyensure that you dont freeze inside the car!!).

I have NEVER had condensation problems in any of my cars with AC.

Last edited by 1100D : 29th July 2007 at 02:46.
Old 29th July 2007, 15:12   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
The solution is the AC. The AC dehumidifies the internal air. Now the condensation that one sees on the "outside" of the car on a hot and humid day when the ac is on (similar to the condensation on the outside of a glass containing cold water) is different from the condensation that happens on the "inside" of the car during rains. For the former, it will be helpful to direct the airflow away from the screens (directed to the feet) and use the Temperature knob appropriately. (Remember in non climate control car the temperature knob actually channels a little bit of hot air when the knob is not in full position). On rainy days its the same thing, use the AC with the temperatureknob taken to a bit hotter zone (this is to onlyensure that you dont freeze inside the car!!).

I have NEVER had condensation problems in any of my cars with AC.
Why should we direct the airflow away from the screens ?

I've heard the opposite of what you've said !
Old 14th August 2007, 11:23   #23
BHPian

Well I got badly affected by this last night. It was very humid and the AC was running - got pretty cold inside the car. Outside it was raining initially and then was only drizzling. Then the condensation started, I tried to put the controls to the demist/dehumidify position, with fan at full blast, but no help - then I realized that it was external condensation. The wipers (new Bosch ones) were helping, but not quite. Changed temperature settings to slightly warmer inside the car, opened vents, did not help.

Later I switched off the AC and opened the windows, the condensation was still forming, but less (it was a really humid day).

Then on the way back I decided to use my wiper minimally...and then the condensation became very less. I think what was happening is that the wipers were making a very thin film of moisture on the surface of the windscreen. And due to the cold car (inside), this thin film was getting converted to a dense condensation.

I would suggest this (based on my experience)

1. If there is a light drizzle and it is humid outside, use the wiper minimally, keep AC "not too cold." Keep the windshield warm and keep to demist/dehumidy position. Recirculation off.

2. No drizzle, just humid, keep controls to demist/dehumidify position fan speed 2 or more, AC on and slightly warmer. Recirculation off.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks