Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2023, 13:22   #16
BHPian

Re: VW Virtus - Tweaks, Mods & Adaptations using VCDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhairavp View Post
Thank you Rajan.
These should work on the Kushaq/Taigun as well, right?
Most likely, will work. But cannot say with 100% confidence. I am doing these on my car, just for the thrill of doing & the joy of learning. You can definitely try. But before you do any changes, first take a backup of the whole car with OE settings. Then zip up the generated files & keep them in a safe place. This way, you can restore the car to factory setting, in case something goes wrong. Here is how to take a backup

1. Open VCDS & click on Applications in the main screen

VW Virtus - Tweaks, Mods & Adaptations using VCDS-vcds.png

2. Click on Controller Channel Map on the new screen which opened

VW Virtus - Tweaks, Mods & Adaptations using VCDS-applications.png

3. In the resulting pop-up, select Whole Vehicle (CAN Only). Also check the boxes next to Measuring Values and Adaptations. Make sure to select Raw Hex as Output. Raw Hex will be needed, as it is the only format supported for restoring. Click on GO

Name:  Raw Hex.png
Views: 1441
Size:  24.8 KB

Please note that this process will create a file for every module in the car. The whole activity will take around 20 minutes to complete. The car will need to be with ignition on. So, make sure to switch off all needless components when doing this. Do it on a car with a fully charged battery or with the engine running. I do these after connecting a battery maintainer, so that the battery doesn't get drained to the point of not being able to start the car.

Also note that restore is possible only one channel at a time. So, it would be wise to make notes of which control modules we are making changes to. Here is what I do -
  • Same process as above, but Output to CSV
  • Make the tweak I want to & then output just that module, again to CSV
  • Now use any sotware capable of comparing files (I use notepad++) to compare & identify the changes made
  • This helps with identifying groups of channels related to each other (especially the ones with German text)

I will eventually take another Raw Hex backup and restore factory setting from the original backup, before sending the car for servicing. Once the car is back, then restore all my custom adaptations from the backup I took

Good luck & happy tweaking!!!!

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 20th October 2023 at 13:41.
PatchyBoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 15:42   #17
BHPian

Thank you very much. Will go through and implement.
Old 20th October 2023, 16:24   #18
BHPian

Part 6

12. Turn brake lights on when boot lid is open

This is a good to have safety feature. With this adaptation, brake light will come on when trunk lid is open. Can come in handy when stopped by the roadside on highways to get something out of the boot. In addition to the hazard lights, this will help make the car more visible.

Steps –
  • Start VCDS, after connecting to car (with ignition on) & laptop
  • Click on Select button under Control Modules
  • Click on 09 Cent. Elect.
  • Click on 16 Security Access and enter 31347. You should get a pop-up that it is accepted.
  • Click on 10 Adaptations
  • In the channels drop down, select ENG115359-Leuchte20BR LA70-Dimming_GH_20
  • Change the value from 0 a to 127.
  • In the channels drop down, select ENG115357-Leuchte20BR LA70-Light_Function_G_20
  • Change the value from not_activ a to Heckdeckel_offen.
  • In the channels drop down, select ENG115378-Leuchte21BR RC8-Dimming_GH_21
  • Change the value from 0 a to 127.
  • In the channels drop down, select ENG115376-Leuchte21BR RC8-Light_Function_G_21
  • Change the value from not_activ a to Heckdeckel_offen.
  • Click Do It

Note - 127 is for LED. If you hve halogens, then anything > 100 works. This is how it looks, when the boot lid is open

VW Virtus - Tweaks, Mods & Adaptations using VCDS-brake-lights-boot-open.jpeg

13. Lock/Unlock car using remote key with engine running

I really needed this feature. Usually, when we go out, I tend to pull over at random shops to pick something or the other up. My wife will be waiting in the car (In the passenger seat. She doesn't drive), with engine running. In the T-Jet, she used to push the door opening handle on the inside, which would lock the car. With the Virtus, that is not an option. Now she can just press the lock button on the keyfob, with the engine running from inside the car, to lock herself in.

Added bonus - The boot unlocks with a press of the key from indise the car. Opens with a long press of the boot open key. Will come in handy when visiting malls.

Steps –
  • Click on 16 Security Access and enter 31347. You should get a pop-up that it is accepted.
  • In the channels drop down, select ENG149179-ZV allgemein-Funk_bei_Klemme_15_ein
  • Change the value from Not Active a to Active.
  • Click Do It

14. Enable RPM display in Virtual Cockpit

This is probably the adaptation, which took the most time & research, only to realize it was simple & silly. No idea why VW decided to hide this in plain sight.

Steps -
  • Click on 17 Instruments
  • In the channels drop down, select IDE12211-China variant (Who would have thunk??? )
  • Change the value from No to Yes.
  • Click Do It

How the display looks after this adaptation

VW Virtus - Tweaks, Mods & Adaptations using VCDS-rpm-display.jpeg

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 20th October 2023 at 16:30.
PatchyBoy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 14:40   #19
BHPian

Part 7

13. Lower / Raise driver window with remote key

The VWs of the past used to have all four one touch windows & this feature was available from the factory. The Virtus has only driver window one touch. So, it is only possible to raise or lower the driver window from the remote key, which is sad.

Steps –

• Change the following channels from Not Active to Active
  • IDE02021-ZV Komfort (Fensterheber)-Comfort closing
  • IDE02022-ZV Komfort (Fensterheber)-Comfort opening
  • ENG149202-ZV Komfort (Fensterheber)-Fahrertuerbedienung_Fensterheber_oeffnen
  • ENG149206-ZV Komfort (Fensterheber)-Fahrertuerbedienung_Fensterheber_schliessen
  • ENG149201-ZV Komfort (Fensterheber)-Funk_Komfort_oeffnen
  • ENG149205-ZV Komfort (Fensterheber)-Funk_Komfort_schliessen
  • ENG149198-ZV Komfort (Fensterheber)-Komfortbedienung_global
  • Select channel ZV Komfort (Fensterheber)-Menuesteuerung_Komfortbedienung_einstellbar
  • Change value from Not Active to Adjustable
  • Click Do It

14. Change Infotainment Screen theme color

Unlike the instrument cluser which has configurable RGB values, giving 16777216 possible colors, the Infotainment Screen just has 4 themes. Blue, Blue with different font, Red (OE) and Orange. The car comes configured with Red from factory. Coming from Fiat, I chose Orange. I then had to go back & tweak the instrument cluster (part 2, sl# 4) to try and match the colours.

Steps -
  • Click on 5F - Information Electr.
  • Change value of channel ENG248479-function_configuration_hmi-Skinning to 3
  • Click Do It

Final outcome. I have reduced the brightness all the way down, as that is how I like it

VW Virtus - Tweaks, Mods & Adaptations using VCDS-opium-orange.jpeg

15. Enable Off Road Menu in Infotainment Screen

This displays Wheel angle, Altitude and Oil Temperature. Here is how to enable it

Steps -
  • Change value of channel ENG117566-Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_compass to Activated
  • Change value of channel ENG117568-Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_compass_over_threshold_high to Activated
  • Change value of channel ENG117732-Vehicle function list BAP-compass_0x15 to Activated
  • Change value of channel ENG117733-Vehicle function list BAP-compass_0x15_msg_bus to Comfort data bus
  • Click Do It

Here is what it looks like. Also displays Coolant temperature as a bar on the LHS and Fuel as a bar on the RHS of the screen

VW Virtus - Tweaks, Mods & Adaptations using VCDS-off-road-display.jpeg

16. Enable Sports Menu in Infotainment Screen

This displays Turbo Boost, Engine RPM and Vehicle Speed. Here is how to enable it

Steps -
  • Change value of channel ENG126148-Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_SportHMI to Activated
  • Change value of channel ENG126149-Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_SportHMI_over_threshold_high to Activated
  • Click Do It

Here is what it looks like. Also displays Throttle position as a bar below the dials. The are two more bar displays below the TPS bar, which displays Fuel on the LHS and Coolant Temperature on the RHS. Sports is always RED, no matter what your infotainment screen theme is.

VW Virtus - Tweaks, Mods & Adaptations using VCDS-sports-display.jpeg

After enabling Sl# 15 and Sl#16, the dashboard display in the Infotainment screen looks like this -

VW Virtus - Tweaks, Mods & Adaptations using VCDS-car-dashboard.jpeg

17. Enable Controls for Climate Control in Infotainment Screen

This enables additional screens in the Infotainment screens to control the ACC. This is a multi-step adaptation.

Steps -
  • Click on Select button under Control Module
  • Click on 08 - Auto HVAC
  • Click on Long Coding
  • Click on Long Coding Helper
  • Bowse to Byte 4 and check the box next to Display via BAP
  • Browse to Byte 12 and check the box next to Operation via BAP
  • Close the Long Coding Helper pop-up and click Do It on the main screen
  • Now click on Done Go Back
  • Change value of channel ENG117526-Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_clima_configuration to Activated
  • Change value of channel ENG117528-Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_clima_configuration_over_threshold_hi gh to Activated
  • Change value of channel ENG117692-Vehicle function list BAP-climatic_master_0x01 to Activated
  • Change value of channel ENG117693-Vehicle function list BAP-climatic_master_0x01_msg_bus to Comfort data bus
  • Click Do It

Here is what it looks like.

VW Virtus - Tweaks, Mods & Adaptations using VCDS-ac-controls.jpeg

Additionally, you also get a menu under Car -> Settings, labelled Climate. This allows you to switch between Soft, Normal and Aggressive cooling modes

VW Virtus - Tweaks, Mods & Adaptations using VCDS-climate-menu.jpeg

Please note that after making changes to Control Module 5F - Information Electr. you will need to switch off ignition, lock the car and wait for a few minutes (I wait 5 minutes) to allow the Infotainment unit to power down comepletely & reboot, for the changes to take effect.

PS: I have also enabled Tear Drop Wiping and Eco Tips display, but haven't had a chance to test them yet. Will share the details after I test them and confirm that they are working as expected.
PPS: That blue graph like thingie on the pics is the reflection from theInstrument Cluster Bezel and not any kind of adaptation

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 21st October 2023 at 14:47.
PatchyBoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 05:22   #20
BHPian

Here is the screenshot of the adaptation that needs to be activated to get the DRL controls to show up on the infotainment. It is under 09 Cent. Elect.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Virtus - Tweaks, Mods & Adaptations using VCDS-20231021_214406.jpg  

StripleRider03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 10:27   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripleRider03 View Post
Here is the screenshot of the adaptation that needs to be activated to get the DRL controls to show up on the infotainment. It is under 09 Cent. Elect.
Thank you. I figured this out yesterday. I tried it out & then reverted to DRL ON with rotary switch in AUTO. I found it cumbersome to go through the menu & decide if I want the DRL ON or OFF. Turning the rotary switch to AUTO is straight forward & much easier, IMHO. There are options to turn off with handbrake too. Whatever one feels comortable with, I suppose.

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 22nd October 2023 at 10:31.
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 15:28   #22
BHPian

Part 8

18. Pace lights aka Urban Joke

I am going to call this Urban Indian Joke

This needs some explanation about how lights are setup & controlled in the VW Virtus. It is important to understand this, before doing this adaptation.

Research credit - DV52 (Australia)

Introduction -

The 09-Cent. Elect. control module, or as it is also known, the Body Control module (BCM) is a central component in any car. But the BCM is particularly important in MQB platform vehicles. The importance of the BCM in the Virtus is underscored by the fact that it contains around 1550 adaptation channels. This is over 50% of all of the adaptation channels in the car. Buried deep within the large list of functions that the BCM manages is control of the car's lights. In the Virtus, there are 646 (34 lights) adaptation channels devoted entirely to the way that the car's external lights operate. Understanding how the BCM allocates resources to these adaptation channels enables VCDS cable users to customise the way that lights operate.

The Basics

Each light has 19 adaptation channels. These 19 channels are divided into groups of channels which define the overall parameters for the concerned bulb. These channels are -
  1. Type_Of_Load - This defines the type of bulb. Could be incandescent, LED, etc.
  2. Fehlerort_mittleres_Byte_DTC-DFCC_23 - this defines the position of the byte in the configuration
  3. Lampendefektbit_Position - this defines the posiion of the bit in the above Byte

The remaining 16 channels are divided into 4 subsets - AB, CD, EF & GH. Each one of this subset contains the following adaptations-
  • Dimming - Decides how brightly or dimly the gven light will light up. 0 is off & 127 is max (for LED). Any value inbetween will make the light dimmer than full brightness.
  • Dimming_Direction - This can be Minimize or Maximize. I haven't fully understood this setting yet.
  • Light_Function - This defines what the light will do. There are several possiblities. Understanding each one of them is WIP.

For this adaptation, we are only intersted in making the tail lights also blink along with the turn signal. The first thing we need to keep in mind is - in German Links means Left and Recht means Right. This will become important, as we need to be sure that we apply the correct adaptations to the correct side of the car. We could end up making the right taillight blink along with left turn signal. We definitely do not want that. We are going to configure the following channels -
  • Leuchte23SL HLC7 - Left side Outer Taillight
  • Leuchte24SL HRA69 - Right side Outer Taillight
  • Leuchte33AMBL 3C72 - Right side inner taillight (the section on the boot lid)
  • Leuchte34AMBL 4C71 - Left side inner taillight (the section on the boot lid)

We can also make the Brake lights flash, by modifying these two channels -
  • Leuchte20BR LA70 - Rear left brake light
  • Leuchte21BR RC8 - Rear right brake light

Adaptations -

Change these values for the following parameters for each of the channels you want to make blink along with turn signal -
  • Dimming_CD - Change to 127 for full brightness or a lesser value for partial brightness.
  • Light_Function_C - Change to Blinken_rechts_Hellphase for right or Blinken_links_Hellphase for left side, if you want the tail light to blink in sync with the turn signal
  • Light_Function_C - Change to Blinken_rechts_Dunkelphase for right or Blinken_links_Dunkelphase for left side, if you want the tail light to blink out of sync with the turn signal.
  • Dimming_Direction_CD - Maximize

Considerations -
  • You have to disable rear DRL
  • This will only work, as long as headlights are off.
  • When headlights are switched on, these red lights will go to their default functionality of stay always on & working as taillights. A little more research & experimentation needed to get them to do this with headlights on.
  • This adaptation will work with brake lights, even with headlights on. If brake pedal is pressed with turn signal on, the the light will stop blinking & come on steadily.

I reasearched & did this adaptation purely out of academic interest. I need to do a lot more research & experimentation. I will most likely go back to OE setup. The sheer number of possiblities is a bit overwhelming. But am making slow progress. Enclosing an excel spreadsheet with all the Leuchte channel mapping I have been able to identify so far. It is accurate to a great extent, but is not there 100% yet.

Finally, here is a Video of this adaptation in action -

As always, if you do this, it is on your own risk. I take no responsibilty for any malfunctions. Err on the side of caution. If in doubt, don't do it. Ask & I will try to share as much as I have learnt & understood.

Here are my excel spreadsheet based on DV52's original research paper. Attaching that as well. That one is pure gold. Guess the real experts always share. The man rocks
Light Channels.xlsx

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 23rd October 2023 at 15:55.
PatchyBoy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 08:45   #23
BHPian

Thanks for documenting these so thoroughly ! Is there a way to take a backup of all these settings through VCDS before starting to tweak anything ?
Something that can be loaded back in one step to go back to defaults ?

Last edited by Game_of_Roads : 29th October 2023 at 08:46.
Old 29th October 2023, 09:57   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game_of_Roads View Post
Is there a way to take a backup of all these settings through VCDS before starting to tweak anything ?
Absolutely. I have explained the process to backup & restore in post #16 of this thread. Please check that out & ask any questions you might have.
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 15:15   #25
BHPian

Part 9

19. Enhanced traction control (Incomplete)

Steps -
  • Click on 03 - ABS Brakes
  • Change value of IDE05286-Expanded electronic differential lock from Medium to Strong
  • Click Do It
  • It makes sense to also improve braking, when doing this
  • For this, change value of IDE05055-Hydraulic brake assistant from Normal to Early
  • This needs a security code. While both 20103 and 40168 are accepted, the change still prompts Secutiry Access Required
  • Will update when I figure out the correct security code & am able to make this change

20. Display reasons for unavailability of Start/Stop system

Steps -
  • Change value from Not Activated to Activated, for the following channels
  • ENG117676-Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_Start_Stop_reasons
  • ENG117678-Vehicle menu operation-menu_display_Start_Stop_reasons_over_threshold_hig h
  • ENG117762-Vehicle function list BAP-Start_Stop_reasons_0x27
  • Change value of ENG117763-Vehicle function list BAP-Start_Stop_reasons_0x27_msg_bus from Not Activated to Comfort Data Bus
  • I am yet to test this functionality. Will update once I go for a drive.

21. ORVM Folding with long press of Lock button on keyfob

By default, the ORVM folds in when the car is locked. Folding the mirrors may not be required all the time - when parked in your driveway, for example. Thiis adaptations changes the default behaviour & does not fold the mirrors, when the car is locked. One will have to long press the lock key on the keyfob, to fold the mirrors in.

Steps -
  • Select channel ENG149221-Spiegelverstellung-Funk_Spiegelanklappung_Modus
  • Change the value from by_look_command_via_remote_control_key to by_convenience_operation_via_remote_control_key
  • Click Do It

PS: A variation of this functionality would be to deselect Fold mirrors when Locking option in the settings menu of the infotainment and then turning the ORVM adjustment dial 180°, before exiting the car. This comes in handy to fold the mirrors even with the car running, to allow those pesky bikers to squeeze past in traffic signal stops.

22. Tear drop wipe

This adaptation wipes the windshield an additional time after a few seconds of the initial wipes, when using the spray wipe to clean the windshield. No idea why VW chose to disable this. My 2010 T-Jet had this feature from factory.

Steps -
  • Change value of ENG149242-Windshield wiper-Traenenwischen_Front_Status from Not Active to Active
  • Click Do It

23. Ignition Active message when any door is opened

This adaptation serves no real purpose, but listing here just in case anyone wants to do this.

Steps -
  • In the channels drop down, select IDE06588-Ignition active message: actuator
  • Change the value from Driver Door to All Doors
  • Click Do It

24. Wheel angle display in Virtual Cockpit

This adaptation adds the option to display Wheel Angle in the options available for Virtual Cockpit

Steps -
  • In the channels drop down, select MAS01299-Offroad
  • Change the value from No Display to Readout
  • Click Do It

25. Defeat Auto Start/Stop system

I am still researching to turn the Auto Start/Stop off by default, or atleast make the car remember the previous state. Now it gets activated by default each time the car is cranked. There is a button to deactivate it, but it is easy to forget, only for the car to shutdown at a speed bump & the restart again. Since I live in South Goa, where the traffic isn't as bad as many cities & traffic jams are quite uncommon, I find this feature more of a pain in the neck, than something useful. What I really want is to be able to use the syatem when I think it will be useful. This mod doesn't allow that, as it will prevent the system from kicking in.

Steps -
  • Click on 19 - Can Gateway
  • In the channels drop down, select IDE08348-Start/stop start voltage limit
  • Change the value from 7.6 V to 12.1 V
  • Click Do It

This post brings us to the end of possible basic mods that have been done by many others & are also offered usually by "coders". I have figured out a few more adaptations like Video in Motion and more options for Android Auto. I am not going to post them here, as I think it woould irresponsible of me. I feel they are a major distraction to the driver and are inherently unsafe. Please do not PM me asking for details. I am not going to share. You will have to figure out for yourself.

I will continue my research & will share useful adaptations, as & when i figure out something new. Enclosing my Adaptations Master List excel file, for quick reference, if anyone is interested.

Thanks for reading

VCDS Adaptations Summary.xlsx

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 29th October 2023 at 15:21.
PatchyBoy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 12:57   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
I bought in the US....
Thanks a ton for the detailed posts, appreciate it buddy...

Any luck with the following:
  1. Left ORVM Auto Lowering upon selecting Reverse Gear
  2. Auto Headlamps Activation Delay/ Enabling this Option on Infotainment
  3. Assigning some function to the unassigned button on the Steering Wheel
Old 6th November 2023, 13:05   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Any luck with the following:
  1. Left ORVM Auto Lowering upon selecting Reverse Gear
  2. Auto Headlamps Activation Delay/ Enabling this Option on Infotainment
  3. Assigning some function to the unassigned button on the Steering Wheel
1. Not possible. The ORVM does not have a position sensor
2. Not sure what this is. Will need to research
3. Already checking out possiblities. Wil update when I find something
Old 6th November 2023, 15:15   #28
BHPian

Quote:
1. Not possible. The ORVM does not have a position sensor
2. Not sure what this is. Will need to research
3. Already checking out possiblities. Wil update when I find something

Sharing a video for Point 2.

The Automatic Headlights (on Skoda Kushaq) are very sensitive, and tend to switch-on during broad day light.

Is there a way to activate this option in the menu? Light Assistance Switch-on Time Delay

Sharing a video with this option on another MQB albeit international version.

maglev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 00:49   #29
BHPian

Quote:

Part 7

14. Change Infotainment Screen theme color

15. Enable Off Road Menu in Infotainment Screen

16. Enable Sports Menu in Infotainment Screen

Will points 15, 16, and 17 work with the 8 inch infotainment unit as well?

and did no 20 work?

Last edited by maglev : 8th November 2023 at 01:06.
Old 9th November 2023, 08:42   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Will points 15, 16, and 17 work with the 8 inch infotainment unit as well?

and did no 20 work?
With VCDS, so far, I've been unsuccessful in getting any of the adaptations for the 8 inch infotainment (5F) to work. So the answer is yes, they work, but not with VCDS.

Last edited by StripleRider03 : 9th November 2023 at 08:43. Reason: Modified details

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks