Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2023, 19:02   #1
BHPian

VW Virtus - Tweaks, Mods & Adaptations using VCDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja030 View Post
Hi, I'd like to know your buying experience from Ross-Tech. Was it a purchase from India or USA ?
I bought in the US. It was a no fuss experience & was delivered in two days from PA to CA. Shipped with Fedex.

Started the day with attempts to set the default value of Start/Stop to OFF, but no luck. 01 Engine control module has a channel - IDE04158-Activation of start/stop function with value "Active". There is a dropdown to select "Not Active", but it returns an error when trying to write back. More research needed. There is channel IDE04159-Deactivation of start/stop function with a value of "Not Active" in Control Modules 03 - ABS Brakes, 05 - Acc/Start Auth., 08- Auto HVAC and 19 - CAN Gateway. Perhaps turning them to False first & then changing the vaule for channel IDE04158 might help. Will give that a try tomorrow.

Prelude - I know that many of these adaptations have already been done by several of you & it might come across as basic to you. But for me it is a learning process. I Intend to document my experiences here, in the hope it will help someone. I know a few of you are not in favour of sharing details here, lest someone makes money out of it. Doesn't bother me. If someone learns from my posts & starts earning from doing these adaptations, good for them. They are more enterprising than I am. I wish them well. After all, I am no Charles Babbage or Dennis Ritchie, but make a living by using their hardwork.

Last but not least - these adaptations worked on my 2022 Virtus GT Plus. YMMV. If you try these in your car & brick any of the electronics, that is on you. not me.

Here goes -

PART 1

1. Lane Change indicator blink 5 times instead of 3 -

Steps -
  • Start VCDS, after connecting to car (with ignition on) & laptop
  • Click on Select button under Control Modules
  • Click on 09 Cent. Elect.
  • Click on 16 Security Access and enter 31347. You should get a pop-up that it is accepted.
  • Click on 10 Adaptations
  • In the channels drop down, select ENG141649-ENG115854-Außenlicht_Blinker-Komfortblinken_Blinkzyklen
  • In the new value box enter 5 and click Do It

2. Disable 80 kmph & 120 kmph beeps

Steps -
  • Click on 17 Instruments
  • In the channels drop down, select IDE14220-MAS00111-Vehicle speed warning for India-Seconds
  • In the new value box enter 0 and click Do It
  • Again, in the channels drop down, select IDE14220-Vehicle speed warning for India
  • In the dropdown below the channel, select NO and click Do It

I have downloaded all adpmap files from the car & am going through them to understand what adaptations are available, which ones are useful & how to enable them. Will continue documenting here for reference by members.

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 15th October 2023 at 19:19.
PatchyBoy is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 22:54   #2
BHPian

Re: VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System) for VW & Skoda - Discussion Thread

Part 2

3. Front DRL on only when light switch in Auto Position

Steps -

• Click on 16 Security Access and enter 31347. You should get a pop-up that it is accepted.
  • In the channels drop down, select ENG141647-ENG149107-Außenlicht_Front-Tagfahrlicht_nur_in_Schalterstellung_AUTO
  • Change the value from not active to active and click Do It

4. Change colour on MID screen

This is mostly cosmetic & a personal choice

Steps -

• Change the values of the following 3 channels. Search for Red, Green and Blue to find them -
    IDE16921-MAS01877-Standard color-Red
    IDE16921-MAS01878-Standard color-Green
    IDE16921-MAS01879-Standard color-Blue
  • In the new value box enter 5 and click Do It

I changed mine to match the car colour . The values are Red - 227, Green 170 and Blue - 3.

VW Virtus - Tweaks, Mods & Adaptations using VCDS-mid-colour-change.jpeg

More to come. This tool is a lot of fun. I am loving the learning.
PatchyBoy is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 18:25   #3
BHPian

Part 3

5. Start/Stop button LED backlight heartbeat

Purely cosmetic, but looks cool. Makes the Start/Stop button backlight pulsute, when engine is not running

Steps -
  • Click on 05 Acc/Start Auth..
  • In the channels drop down, select ENG123036-ENG154826-DeveloperCoding: Search lights-ZAT_illumination_concept_mybeat_clamp58xt
  • In the channels drop down, select ENG123036-ENG154827-DeveloperCoding: Search lights-ZAT_illumination_modus_mybeat_clamp58xt

6. Display refuel quantity in the instrument cluster

Steps -
  • Click on 07 Coding
  • Click on Long Coding Helper and confirm the messages shown in the pop-ups
  • Browse to Byte 10
  • Click the checkbox next to Bit 4 - Volume to be replensihed, Yes
  • Close the long coding helper popup
  • Click Do It

Correction for 2. Disable 80 kmph & 120 kmph beeps posted earlier. There is no need to change the value for IDE14220-MAS00111-Vehicle speed warning for India-Seconds from 120 to 250 or 0 or anything else. This just specifies the number of seconds between warning beeps, when driving over 80 kmph. Just changing the value of IDE14220-Vehicle speed warning for India to NO is enough. Have checked and the 80 kmph warning is definitely silenced. However, could not check the 120 kmph warning, but I see no logical reason for that to go off, unless there is an individual setting for the 120 kmph warning.

Planning to do the following -

Sports Display - mainly for seeing boost pressure
Offroad display - mainly for checking altitude
ACC controls on infotainment screen
RPM bar display in the instrument cluster in virtual cockpit mode
Improved AC performance
Acoustic confirmation on lock/ unlock
Torque vectoring with strong XDS
Enhanced throttle response with dynamic mode
Improved steering feel with dynamic mode
Wiper tear drop wiping
Switch on DRL only when control swich in AUTO position
Enable rear DRL
Rear lights ON with Boot open
Enable car lock/unlock using remote with engine/ignition ON
Enable Beats sound signature for infotainment

All of the above have been done by others, so they can surely be done. Just a matter of figuring out the Adaptations & Long Coding changes. Hoping to uncover some other easter eggs along the way. Will continue to post steps for each one of the functionalities I successfully enable here.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 18th October 2023 at 13:44. Reason: As requested
PatchyBoy is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 18:41   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
[All of the above have been done by others, so they can surely be done. Just a matter of figuring out the Adaptations & Long Coding changes. Hoping to uncover some other easter eggs along the way. Will continue to post steps for each one of the functionalities I successfully enable here.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...form-cars.html (VCDS tweaks for Skoda / Volkswagen MQB A0 IN platform cars)

Hopefully you can make use of this thread to complete the remaining tweaks. Looking forward to your completed list
Guppy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 19:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...form-cars.html (VCDS tweaks for Skoda / Volkswagen MQB A0 IN platform cars)

Hopefully you can make use of this thread to complete the remaining tweaks. Looking forward to your completed list
Thanks. I have already read that thread. Several times. Some of the adaptations are explained. Most of them are not. Will see what I can do. Don't want to bother members here via PM, who are not willing to share information publicly. I plan on posting the steps for each adaptation I do in this thread. So, getting info from members by PM & then posting it on this thread is a bit unetical, IMHO. Reaching out to Ross-Tech forum members. They are a lot more forthcoming about sharing information.

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 17th October 2023 at 19:32.
PatchyBoy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 13:30   #6
BHPian

Part 4

7. Acoustic confrimation for lock/unlock

The horn emits a short beep on locking & two short beeps on unlocking. Serves as an audio aid to confirm the operation

Steps -
  • Change value of ENG149190-Acknowledgement signals-Akustische_Rueckmeldung_global to Active
  • Change value of ENG149191-Acknowledgement signals-Akustische_Rueckmeldung_entriegeln to Active
  • Change value of ENG149192-Acknowledgement signals-Akustische_Rueckmeldung_verriegeln to Active
  • Change value of ENG149193-Acknowledgement signals-Menuesteuerung_akustische_Rueckmeldung to Active
  • Change value of ENG149194-Acknowledgement signals-Dauer_der_Akustischen_Rueckmeldung_vom_Einfachhorn to Short
  • Change value of ENG149195-Acknowledgement signals-Akustische_Rueckmeldung_Signalhorn to Active
  • Click Do It
  • After these changes, you will also get an additional option in the menu on the infotainment system to enable or disable this feature.

8. Enable rear DRL

Steps -
  • Change value of channel ENG149105-Außenlicht_Front-Tagfahrlicht-Dauerfahrlicht_aktiviert_zusaetzlich_Standlicht to Active
  • Click Do It
  • Now, the tail light will also come on with the DRL
  • In combination with the mod we did in Part 2 - Sl#3, both front & rear DRL will come on when the rotary switch is set to AUTO

Last edited by Aditya : 19th October 2023 at 22:04. Reason: As requested
PatchyBoy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 21:55   #7
BHPian

Quote:

Part 2

3. Front DRL on only when light switch in Auto Position

There is another option where the DRL controls show up on the infotainment under the light settings, which I find more useful than the light switch controls (for me personally). I do not recall the adaptation though, will check that tomorrow and update the thread.
StripleRider03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 21:51   #8
Team-BHP Support

re: VW Virtus - Tweaks, Mods & Adaptations using VCDS

VW Virtus - Tweaks & Adaptations using VCDS - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 22:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I Intend to document my experiences here, in the hope it will help someone. I
Thanks for sharing, this is indeed very informative.

Can you please provide some details regarding how to prepare the setup as in the software, subscriptions if any etc?

Also, is a good-quality cable available on Amazon?
Old 20th October 2023, 00:01   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFonz View Post
Thanks for sharing, this is indeed very informative.

Can you please provide some details regarding how to prepare the setup as in the software, subscriptions if any etc?

Also, is a good-quality cable available on Amazon?
I am not in favour of piracy, especially for something so useful. The amount of effort that must have gone into creating a tool like this would be huge. Spending $200 for something so useful, is a very small token of appreciation for all the efforts the creators of the software have put in. This is just a personal opinion. Not trying to enforce it on anyone.

Here is the process I followed -
  • Ordered a VCDS HEX-V2 Enthusiast cable from here
  • Got it delivered to a friend in the US, who carried it back for me
  • Downloaded & installed VCDS Release 23.3 from here
  • The software is essentially free, but is supposed to work only with a genuine cable
  • There are how-to videos on the VCDS website, which guide us about the installation & configuration

Hope this helps
PatchyBoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 09:58   #11
BHPian

Part 5

9. Improve steering feel - make it heavier

Coming for HPS, the steering felt extremely light. This adaptation put a huge grin on my face.

Steps –
  • Click on 44 - Steering Assist
  • Change value of channel IDE04130-Characteristic curve of steering assistance to Dynamic
  • Click Do It

10. Make throttle response sharper

Steps -
  • Click on 44 - Steering Assist
  • Change value of channel IDE06419-Driving profile switchover to Direct: controlled over threshold value
  • Click Do It

11. Change amp tuning

I am no audiophile, but this does make a difference to the sound quality

Steps –
  • Click on 5F - Information Electr.
  • Change value of channel ENG248523-function_configuration_sound-brand_sound to Dynaudio.
  • Click Do It
  • You might want to try other options available there & choose the one you like

Bonus adaptation

I park my car in my driveway, engine first. The front bumper would be about a feet away from the wall. So, the car thinks that there is not enough lighting and keeps displaying this pesky "Switch on light" message on the Instrument Cluster. So, here is what I did -

Steps -
  • In the channels drop down, select ENG126818-Außenlicht_uebergreifend-Fahrlichtwarnung_Hinweis_Konfig
  • Change the value from in 0 and SL position to not_active and click Do It

We are pretty much done with basic one-click adaptations, for now. I have already done some multi-change adaptations. Will be sharing them soon. Watch this space.
PatchyBoy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 10:04   #12
BHPian

Great information and good going. It would be very helpful for people like me who are very interested in the VAG India 2.0 cars, if you could post pictures of each change you have mentioned. For example - rear DRL. Not sure what it looked like before and what it looks like now, after coding. And for things like cancelling the speed warnings are understood and pictures won't be of much help in such cases. Looking forward to the pictures
Old 20th October 2023, 10:15   #13
BHPian

Brilliant tweaks as usual. Looks like you are having as much fun locating and executing these mods as you did with the physical mods on the Linea.

I really hope you enjoy this one as much as you loved your Tjet.
Old 20th October 2023, 10:52   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit_Quad View Post
if you could post pictures of each change you have mentioned. For example - rear DRL. Not sure what it looked like before and what it looks like now, after coding. Looking forward to the pictures
Rear DRL is nothing fancy. It just switches on tail lights, along with DRL, when the car is started. In my case, when the rotary switch is set to AUTO position.

I will definitely be posting pictures for the more advanced adaptations, like - Sports Display, Off-Road display, AC controls on infotainment screen, etc. Have already done those mods. Just have to document the steps, click some pics & post
PatchyBoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 12:49   #15
BHPian

Re: VW Virtus - Tweaks, Mods & Adaptations using VCDS

Thank you Rajan.
These should work on the Kushaq/Taigun as well, right?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks