Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2024, 11:11   #1
BHPian

Possible to convert a Manual car to AMT / IMT?

Hi Everyone,

Was just wondering if it is possible to convert a manual transmission to IMT by adding the actuator? it would be a great if its a plug and play module.

Just as an example, Creta comes with MT and IMT. Can an existing Creta MT
customer add the actuator to make the car IMT.

All these thoughts come to mind as you are crawling in the traffic during morning/evening office hours and your left leg is begging for relief from MT.

Mods : If a similar thread exists, please merge.
m8002? is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 11:29   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Possible to convert a Manual car to AMT / IMT?

With money & time, anything is possible, but this is really one of those things that is best done at the factory-level (along with turbocharging etc.). Factory fit is factory fit.

If you absolutely want a change with lesser financial impact, sell your used MT car and buy a used IMT / AMT / AT car. Sell used & buy used to make the depreciation impact minimal.

Do note there are AT conversion kits like AutoClutch (search on Team-BHP for reviews).
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 11:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Hi Everyone, Was just wondering if it is possible to convert a manual transmission to IMT by adding the actuator? it would be a great if its a plug and play module.
There is a company in Pune which does this, don't know if they have a branch in Bangalore or not:

https://automateindia.in/

Existing thread for reference:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...tomatic-2.html (Convert a manual transmission car to Automatic?)
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 12:17   #4
BHPian

Thanks for the quick responses.

I remember the AutoClutch stuff from a few years ago. The overall setup looks a bit crude. Didn't know they still exist.

The reason I brought up Hyundai is that since they give both MT and IMT from factory. So can the ASC install the part in the manual, the same way ( neatly tucked in ) as in the IMT.

My Creta(D) has run 76K on the original clutch and it has become a bit hard. Maybe the first step is to do a clutch overhaul.
Old 29th February 2024, 16:13   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
can the ASC install the part in the manual, the same way ( neatly tucked in ) as in the IMT.
NO, for various reasons.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 08:19   #6

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Was just wondering if it is possible to convert a manual transmission to IMT by adding the actuator? it would be a great if its a plug and play module.
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Hi, I remembered speaking with someone when I was trying to get the indicator stalk on my Duster to the right side, he mentioned he does manual to i-MT conversion. (turns out to be too much hassle). A little google search and turns out that gentleman is the CEO of automateindia. I have no idea if it works well but he mentioned that he has a demo car/center in Bengaluru, near electronic city.Check that out if you are interested.

Last edited by graaja : 1st March 2024 at 08:39. Reason: Fixing broken quote tags
Old 1st March 2024, 09:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman View Post
Hi, I remembered speaking with someone when I was trying to get the indicator stalk on my Duster to the right side, he mentioned he does manual to i-MT conversion. (turns out to be too much hassle). A little google search and turns out that gentleman is the CEO of automateindia. I have no idea if it works well but he mentioned that he has a demo car/center in Bengaluru, near electronic city.Check that out if you are interested.
Thanks for your suggestion. I searched for AutoClutch and came across a few discussion threads in our own T-bhp.

The way the thing is implemented as an accessory is not upto the mark for a modern car. Thats why I was checking if it can be done by Hyundai ASC as done in their IMT cars. But the clear answer is a no.

Cross posting from another thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post5452602 (Autoclutch Review)
Old 1st March 2024, 14:47   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

What you have asked is an old question. The answer is No, and well explained by GTO.

People do some engine swaps etc, but changing the type of transmission is a head ache best not even thought about. Get a different car, and drive with peace-of-mind.
Old 1st March 2024, 17:20   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

You can check this youtube channel but getting accustomed to it for first few days is a task.

The Real bummer - In B2B Traffic, when you come to a standstill and when you slot the gear lever in neutral, the clutch is still half pressed because there is no sensor for the installed system to know that it is in Neutral !

Last edited by Thyag : 1st March 2024 at 17:32.
Old 3rd March 2024, 10:14   #10
BHPian

Technically & theoretically - YES! (Provided time and money is not a constraint and you have a technically experienced and sound person with required skills and equipment at your disposal).

However, legal norms governing automobiles in India is at a completely different level and I do not think RTO and traffic police folks would appreciate the conversion if they ever come across it. A few years (5-6yr) back, one of my friends wanted to do the same at Karnataka and RTO was dead against it.

Another long-term challenge would be the maintenance since neither the ASS guys or other FNGs will not be accustomed to the wiring and component orientation of this modification.

To cut it short, if you are keen to have an IMT, go for a factory fitted IMT if you want peace of mind.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks