Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2017, 11:27   #31
BHPian

Re: Zen Maintenance Manual / Tips Required

Cost of zen distributor is about 4000.00 and definitely not 16000.
Available a plenty in scrap for a paltry sum. Please buy a distributor and run the car.
S. A just taking you for a ride.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 13:31   #32
BHPian

Thanks Scorpian. SA called me back now and he said new distributor will cost Rs 5600. I gave a go shead and he is ordering for it now. Will keep the forum updated. Thank you.
Old 4th June 2017, 16:03   #33
BHPian

Hey guys

i have got hold of '03 MPFI Zen Lx (non-PS , non-PW) in good nick.

Primary reason for this purchase is wifey is learning to drive and this will be her vehicle post she gets her DL.

The car has done some 36000kms and everything is bone stock.

I have been driving the car for 300-350kms in the last month and everything seems satisfactory.

The previous owner was a lady who used the car from her office to home distance was around 5-6 kms, hence the less kms done

The last service was carried out some 8-9 months back in which the car has done around approx 2000kms

I would like do a complete fluid overhaul before officially handing it over to wifey.

An recent thread by bhpian #leoshashi has given me a clear picture of what grade of oils to use for engine , gear, brake , coolant etc

I am listing down the what i intend to carry out. Inputs from you guys, pointers in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

1) Engine oil change
Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40.
Shell Helix HX7 10W-40.
Shell Helix HX5 15W-40.
Castrol MAGNATEC 10W-40.
Mobil 1 0W-40 Fully Synthetic Oil.
Liqui Moly 4100 5W-40

Which one would be best suited?

2) Gear oil change
Liqui Moly 75W90 GL4+ (GL4/GL5)

3) Coolant change
Maruti Genuine Coolant
Bosch F002H23085079 Auto Cool Engine Coolant.

4) Brake oil change
TVS Girling DOT 3

The steering alignment also needs to be done as the car pulls more towards the left side.

Any recommendations for a good FNG where this can be done.

Live in mumbai

Also Did the zen ever come with a hydraulic PS unit?

The tyres were changed a while back and will last me for some time.
Old 5th June 2017, 13:18   #34
BHPian

I would share my experience on this.
i own three zens,of which two have crossed 2.5lakh kilometres and one has done 40k after engine swap.
I have tried different oils including ows/shell/mobil etc but i now stick to valvoline 20w50, i find the car performs the best with this engine oil and have been using it regularly for the past couple of years.
I use a engine flush of wurth and somehow this thing cleans the engine really well.You can actually see brown mud like coming out.
I would suggest you try this oil once.Worked really well for me.
scorpian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 14:05   #35
BHPian

Update: SA called me today stating distributor sent by MUL was a wrong model and hence offered to procure it from outside market (against cash payment for the same). I declined this option and instead agreed to wait for reordering of the part. Might take another week to get my car since I insisted MGP for the distributor.
Old 7th June 2017, 10:47   #36
BHPian

I think you will have a MGP parts outlet in your city,you could go and buy it over the counter.
I am not sure but i think its made my lucas, if so even lucas vendor in your city could source the same rather then wait for a week.

regards,
Manoj.
Old 10th June 2017, 01:55   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
Hey guys

1) Engine oil change
Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40.
Shell Helix HX7 10W-40.
Shell Helix HX5 15W-40.
Castrol MAGNATEC 10W-40.
Mobil 1 0W-40 Fully Synthetic Oil.
Liqui Moly 4100 5W-40

2) Gear oil change
Liqui Moly 75W90 GL4+ (GL4/GL5)

3) Coolant change
Maruti Genuine Coolant
Bosch F002H23085079 Auto Cool Engine Coolant.

4) Brake oil change
TVS Girling DOT 3

The steering alignment also needs to be done as the car pulls more towards the left side.

Any recommendations for a good FNG where this can be done.

Live in mumbai

Also Did the zen ever come with a hydraulic PS unit?

The tyres were changed a while back and will last me for some time.
Congrats.

Since its Bombay, please check for hidden rust.

Carb Zens came with HPS units.

Engine oil:
Servo MG 20w-40 API SF/CF, or Shell HX3 20w50, or Servo API SF 20w50 CNG engine oil.
First one gives better mileage. Both 1&2 provide superior cleaning. Last one is the least expensive and does a fine job.

Gear oil:
Any oil of a good company in the required grade will do. Pls consult owner's manual.

Coolant:
Golden Cruiser or Castrol Radicool (Normal or HD) or Servo. Dilute with RO water/battery water. Make sure that you flush out the old coolant by running with deionised water for a couple of days and changing the water a couple of times. Radicool HD is hard water compatible, but also the most expensive. GC is Maruti OEM.

Choose according to the prices in the local market. Don't spend too much, it is a robust engine that will easily do 1.5 lakh kms with just regular maintenance.

Also, please check and replace if necessary the spark plugs and ignition cords. Use compatible NGK or Denso or Bosch spark plugs only. The Hyundai plugs are of the same dimension and fit but run hotter. Do ensure to get the plugs in the correct heat range. Check part number in your manual. DO NOT go for any fancy plugs, regular ones are good enough.

Check if the fuel filter has been changed. If in doubt, replace.

Do an in-tank fuel system cleaner treatment, it will help improve performance.

Do get the rear brakes checked as the ASS never touches them.

The ZEN is a lovely car, enjoy it.
fighterace is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 02:02   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-BoleroBoy View Post
Update: SA called me today stating distributor sent by MUL was a wrong model and hence offered to procure it from outside market (against cash payment for the same). I declined this option and instead agreed to wait for reordering of the part. Might take another week to get my car since I insisted MGP for the distributor.
Get it from the open market, most probably it is a Denso unit. Any good mechanic with a timing light can fit it. MGP is all about paying a ransom to MUL.

Give the rear brakes a service, and change front pads to Bosch. Should improve braking.
Old 10th June 2017, 04:40   #39
BHPian

Zen Maintenance Manual / Tips Required

Thanks scorpian and fighterace for your suggestions. Unfortunately i had asked for MGP to be ordered and part has arrived yesterday. I will get the car today and update. In future i will look at other options too. Thanks again.
Old 12th June 2017, 09:49   #40
BHPian

All - final update on this issue:

Vehicle was ready and i picked it up. Bill came with shocking number of over 15K. Initially i disagreed and went through details and questioned all of them. Almost shouted at SA because he did not inform me of few things. Then, had to console myself and pay up. Please let me know if you think the charges appear normal and I will let go of this.

Another important issue: Vehicle was not cleaned properly with stains, dirt, mud on the body. And as I was noticing them, SA was quick to say - "they have stopped washing cars as part of service. The vehicle was cleaned without using water. Interiors were vaccumed and wiped with loads of cleaning oil. Exterior was dry wiped. Tyres were smeared with polish."
Is this the new norm with MAS?
Please let me know as I want to write to Maruti customer care about this.
Attached Thumbnails
Zen Maintenance Manual / Tips Required-img_5609.jpg  

Old 12th June 2017, 09:53   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-BoleroBoy View Post
All - final update on this issue:

Vehicle was ready and i picked it up. Bill came with shocking number of over 15K. Initially i disagreed and went through details and questioned all of them. Almost shouted at SA because he did not inform me of few things. Then, had to console myself and pay up. Please let me know if you think the charges appear normal and I will let go of this.

Another important issue: Vehicle was not cleaned properly with stains, dirt, mud on the body. And as I was noticing them, SA was quick to say - "they have stopped washing cars as part of service. The vehicle was cleaned without using water. Interiors were vaccumed and wiped with loads of cleaning oil. Exterior was dry wiped. Tyres were smeared with polish."
Is this the new norm with MAS?
Please let me know as I want to write to Maruti customer care about this.
0W20 engine oil is filled.Drain the oil ASAP and get the XXW40 grade filled . 0W20 is wrong grade for an engine that was manufactured more than a decade ago.

Even mandovi service did a similar mistake when i had given our zen for repairs. They filled 0W30 grade oil. When pointed out they mentioned that maruti has given circular to change the grade. However , this circular is not applicable for Zen G10B. The result was rough sounding engine which made a huge clatter @ 80 kmph . Changed to 20W40 grade at shell pump after running the wrong grade for 4K kms and the difference was immediate. Get it done ASAP from Suraksha. It is a mistake from their side.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 12th June 2017 at 10:05.
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 10:26   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
0W20 engine oil is filled.
Spoke with SA. He initially defended stating company recommended, change in standards etc., On insisting further he is now checking on this.
Old 12th June 2017, 10:31   #43
BHPian

Wrong grade of oil filled, please replace immediately.Secondly some of the charges seem high,whats the item with 1490.00?
Just get the oil and filter replaced from them asap.
Old 12th June 2017, 10:38   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Wrong grade of oil filled, please replace immediately.Secondly some of the charges seem high,whats the item with 1490.00?
Just get the oil and filter replaced from them asap.
1490 is for Paid service, I was told (Preventive maintenance service?).
Old 13th June 2017, 13:38   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Cost of zen distributor is about 4000.00 and definitely not 16000.
Available a plenty in scrap for a paltry sum. Please buy a distributor and run the car.
S. A just taking you for a ride.
The distributor area in our 1.5 lakh run Zen is covered with oil. Can you please guide me as to what parts to replace to stop the oil leakage. Thanks

Most Viewed