Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2024, 22:33   #1
BHPian

2-month old Hyundai Verna breaks down within 1000 km

This is definitely not kind of experience with my new Hyundai verna I wanted to post here in team-bhp. I was noting down all the moments with the car since its delivery to make a detailed review. But I had to share this heartbreaking experience here first!

Took delivery of my Starry night Hyundai Verna S manual variant on 17th of February 2024 from Gajraj Hyundai Kalikapur Kolkata. The delivery was mostly smooth apart from the car having some hairline scratches and some false promises from dealer side, which was compensated by 1 year extended warranty during delivery.

Coming from a Tata car (Tata ZEST XT 2014 petrol) and from a 1.2 litre engine I was enjoying the refinement and the power difference the car had to offer. But alas my joy was short lived, and here I am instead of writing a happy ownership report, writing with frustration and grief!

It's almost two months and our Starva (Yes we do name our cars after delivery) haven't done much mile munching. Mostly that was because we were out of town for 10 days post delivery and office travel weekly is three days. Time for first service was coming and we decided to do a 400 km round trip to the nearest coast - Shankarpur.

We set off for our destination on 13th April 2024 at 7 am. After having our breakfast at Kolaghat we set off for our destination. Suddenly at around 120-130 km mark, and when we were doing 60-70 kmph I felt accelerator response dropping and car having no response to throttle input. Thankfully I wasn't overtaking at that time and could safely come to a stop at a side, else this could have been fatal for my family!

While trying to restart the car and move forward I felt the below issues
  1. No acceleration response when pressing accelerator pedal
  2. Car shaking tremendously after starting or when accelerator pedal is pressed
  3. There was fat fat (something bursting) sound coming from exhaust
  4. Burning smell from engine bay
  5. No error code or light in instrument cluster

I had to decide that it's not fit for journey and had to call Hyundai Road Side assistance team. On contacting the RSA team we were provided with towing of the car to the nearest Hyundai service center at RDB Hyundai Haldia, and were assisted with a cab.
All these took 4 hours approximately to arrive, and I had to arrange a separate car for my aged parent in laws and my daughter of 2 years of age so that they weren't stranded on road for 4 hours at 40 degrees temperature.

Currently the car remains in Haldia RDB without any specific diagnosis of the issue from 14.04.2024 till date. This shows how major the issue is and the car has grave manufacturing defects which are not even diagnosable by the team even after all these time. How in the future I will be able to trust the car to use it to go longer distances if it can't complete 180 km one way! Wondering if Hyundai always provides this kind of unacceptable quality of cars!

I feel cheated and frustrated even after paying for a car priced almost 14 lakhs on the road.

I have today mailed all the details to their support channels and am yet to receive any response from them. But I am LOST currently and mind is wandering on many things
  1. Did I get sold a bad inventory?
  2. Maybe this is a small issue and will be rectified soon.
  3. Should I still be patient and wait till they repair
  4. Do I ask for replacement/refund/ move to consumer court for selling faulty vehicle and ask for compensation?

I for that matter am still hopeful tomorrow the SC find the exact issue and sorts out(Chances are slim as per current proceedings) and I enjoy the rest of the ownership. But sadly that seems remote and maybe we have a long fight coming up with HMIL.

I would appreciate other experienced BHPian's help who have owned Hyundai vehicles and if any one has similar experiences and how they sorted the same. Or if I can get any contact in Hyundai where escalation of the issue may result in resolution, and us getting back our Starva fit and fine again!

Any suggestions, feedback would really help for my next steps.

Some shots of Starva

2-month old Hyundai Verna breaks down within 1000 km-img_20240316_172945.jpg

2-month old Hyundai Verna breaks down within 1000 km-img_20240316_172957.jpg
Prithwitheraj is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 00:51   #2
BHPian

Re: Substandard product by Hyundai India! 2 months old 2023 Hyundai Verna breaks down within 1000 km

Feeling sad for you. If the car broke down so early without any incident, I am sorry to say you might have bought a lemon. Also, alloys & tires are not stock - did you changed them or got it done in showroom itself? Maybe during the change something was tinkered with & company might deny warranty. Keep all records documented & if possible video graph everything. Car & engine bay shaking with strange exhaust pops points towards misfiring cylinder or cylinders with after burning of unburnt fuel in exhaust lane. Checking of fuel lines & ignition lines - wiring / spark plug / ignition coils / battery health will certainly help. Don't get disheartened, it might also happen because of bad fuel.

Last edited by SilverSmoke : 18th April 2024 at 00:53.
SilverSmoke is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 07:13   #3
BHPian

Re: Substandard product by Hyundai India! 2 months old 2023 Hyundai Verna breaks down within 1000 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke View Post
Feeling sad for you. If the car broke down so early without any incident, I am sorry to say you might have bought a lemon. Also, alloys & tires are not stock - did you changed them or got it done in showroom itself? Maybe during the change something was tinkered with & company might deny warranty. Keep all records documented & if possible video graph everything. Car & engine bay shaking with strange exhaust pops points towards misfiring cylinder or cylinders with after burning of unburnt fuel in exhaust lane. Checking of fuel lines & ignition lines - wiring / spark plug / ignition coils / battery health will certainly help. Don't get disheartened, it might also happen because of bad fuel.
Yeah I am also thinking so that I have recieved a lemon. And if that's the case what are my options?

The tyre was changed out of showroom, and was done infront of me. Simply alloys were taken out and new ones were put in. The tmps were part of the tyres and they were taken out and refitted very carefully. There were no wires or nothing.

Misfiring yes - but the cause SC can't diagnose they checked fule line fuel quality, cleaned spark plugs wirings ignition coils and battery- all seems to be fine.

Now my question is if everything is fine then what's the issue?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 18th April 2024 at 10:36. Reason: typo edited
Prithwitheraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 07:25   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithwitheraj View Post
Yeah I am also thinking so that I have recieved a lemon. And if that's the case what are my options?

The tyre was changed outbof showroom, and was done infront of me. Simply alloys were taken out and new ones were put in. The tmps were part of the tyres and they were taken out and refitted very carefully. There were no wires or nothing.

Misfiring yes - but the cause SC can't diagnose they checked fule line fuel quality, cleaned spark plugs wirings ignition coils and battery- all seems to be fine.

Did you by any chance refuel before the journey and the pump attendant inadvertently put diesel instead of petrol? Long shot I know but still hazarding a guess.
Nanolover is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 08:56   #5
BHPian

Hi Prithwiraj,

It's really unfortunate that your dream ride came up with such issues so early in it's life., it's yet to go for it's first service I guess. I know how passionate you were about this acquisition. But, we have to face the ordeal if we have to, the worst feeling probably is to see your family suffer on road in harsh weather conditions.

Please maintain and keep track of all events as many have suggested here. Hyundai has a good repute in the indian auto market and I hope they will take some logical action. In whatever direction this goes keep us posted on this platform.

Keep an account of the expenses you incurred after the incident happened since you are not getting any service from the car after paying in full for it, ex: the car you rented on the highway. Keep an account of the same to ask for compensation, especially if this situation continues beyond a reasonable time. The fact that you are here in Kolkata and the car is in Haldia with not much progress in diagnosis is definitely an ackward situation to be in, when the problem cannot be sorted quickly. Would it not be prudent to ask Hyundai to shift it to a more reputable, read more equipped and major service center in Kolkata at their cost? Else you can ask for a compensation for shifting. Also, that enables you to physically speak to people and see the car in flesh if need be. Did they offer any loaner car?

Last edited by arindam_xeta : 18th April 2024 at 08:58. Reason: Typos
arindam_xeta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 09:00   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
Did you by any chance refuel before the journey and the pump attendant inadvertently put diesel instead of petrol? Long shot I know but still hazarding a guess.
I did refuel a day before journey, and I stood in front of pump (its a long term habit) to ensure they fill in proper fuel and all.

ASC also have checked the fuel from the car tank and they confirmed there was no adulteration and it was pure petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam_xeta View Post
Would it not be prudent to ask Hyundai to shift it to a more reputable, read more equipped and major service center in Kolkata at their cost? Else you can ask for a compensation for shifting. Also, that enables you to physically speak to people and see the car in flesh if need be. Did they offer any loaner car?
Yes that's a good idea and probably a good option to ask for if any one from Hyundai top level connects with me after the escalation email. Will definitely ask them if that's possible to shift the car to a more reputable garage.

Regarding the expenditure - yes I have a log for the same and will keep it recorded.

They did offer a loaner car, but I have to bear the cost of getting it from Haldia- which is some thing I don't want to pay for as well. I will take this up with the Hyundai management once some one reaches me.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 18th April 2024 at 09:45. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Kindly use the Quote+/Edit functionality to quote multiple posts.
Prithwitheraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 09:17   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 2-month old Hyundai Verna breaks down within 1000 km

Quote:

Currently the car remains in Haldia RDB without any specific diagnosis of the issue from 14.04.2024 till date
Don’t jump the gun. In this forum, people throw terms like “lemon”, “consumer court” , etc as if they are talking of something they do on a regular basis. For your car to be a lemon, you would have observed several manufacturing issues affecting its functioning from a safety, value or utility point.

Something stopped working and that should have been diagnosed quickly by the service centre. It’s odd that the center hasn’t come back since the last 4 days but that’s a problem better resolved by heading to the center and asking the folks head on; assuming your repeat phone calls and emails haven’t got you any proper response.

I would ask you to do some leg work to get this on a higher gear. Make all the noise you can. For instance, ask the moderators to add the service center name to the thread heading. Then share this thread in all your email, social and phone conversations.

To me, more than a serious car issue, this looks like a service center issue; maybe they haven’t given your car the effort and time it needs to diagnose the issue. Till they come back with a diagnosis, it’s early days to start wondering if your car can be a lemon or sorts. Focus on that first. If they haven’t been able to figure out the issue even after 4 days of serious diagnosis, let them say that on official communication. They would have initial guess of what is not working, that they are trying to confirm.
ninjatalli is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 10:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2-month old Hyundai Verna breaks down within 1000 km

Sir, sorry about the concern you are facing. Let's not jump the gun quickly. You have given it to the service center, wait for them to get back on what's the resolution. Please do not get frustrated. I understand what you are feeling and going through. A brand new car stuck at the service center is anyone's nightmare. However, since it's a machine, things can go wrong. As long as the service center is truthful and committed to good service, you need not be worried. Please keep the forum updated. You will get good advice in the due course. For now, am positive that the car will be delivered to you in top condition.
Raghu M is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 10:44   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Don’t jump the gun. In this forum, people throw terms like “lemon”, “consumer court” , etc as if they are talking of something they do on a regular basis. For your car to be a lemon, you would have observed several manufacturing issues affecting its functioning from a safety, value or utility point.
Agree with you. What you said about classification of the car as a lemon is relevant.

@OP, from the symptoms, it looks like a severe misfire. Can be as simple as a loose connection of the coupler on the injector or ignition coil or a major as a faulty injector or an ignition coil. Anyway, there will most likely be error codes logged and if present they will definitely show up on the scanner tool Hyundai uses.

Spare half a day, go to the service center. Talk with the technician (Not Service Advisor, they are usually not technically knowledgeable), ask him to explain what diagnosis is done till now and what were the error codes shown when scanned. Based on that information, you will get better clarity on the issue at hand.
sagarpadaki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 11:12   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Something stopped working and that should have been diagnosed quickly by the service centre. It’s odd that the center hasn’t come back since the last 4 days but that’s a problem better resolved by heading to the center and asking the folks head on; assuming your repeat phone calls and emails haven’t got you any proper response.
That is my concern as well but the service center in question is approx. 3 hours away from my home so wont be feasible to do follow up in person too much as going there and coming back means spending the whole day. But yes I do plan to visit them on weekend if this doesn't get sorted by this week.
Quote:
To me, more than a serious car issue, this looks like a service center issue; maybe they haven’t given your car the effort and time it needs to diagnose the issue. Till they come back with a diagnosis, it’s early days to start wondering if your car can be a lemon or sorts. Focus on that first. If they haven’t been able to figure out the issue even after 4 days of serious diagnosis, let them say that on official communication. They would have initial guess of what is not working, that they are trying to confirm.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes I will ask them to do the same on official communication channel. Also I am worried what if they do some thing and resolve this temporarily and this pops up again and again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
@OP, from the symptoms, it looks like a severe misfire. Can be as simple as a loose connection of the coupler on the injector or ignition coil or a major as a faulty injector or an ignition coil. Anyway, there will most likely be error codes logged and if present they will definitely show up on the scanner tool Hyundai uses.

Spare half a day, go to the service center. Talk with the technician (Not Service Advisor, they are usually not technically knowledgeable), ask him to explain what diagnosis is done till now and what were the error codes shown when scanned. Based on that information, you will get better clarity on the issue at hand.
I agree and SC are also agreeing that this is misfire, but they are not able to diagnose the issue as there are no error codes as well. Last communication they said cleaning everything injectors EGR etc have reduced the issue and car now is accelerating but the engine is still knocking at cool conditions and the issue is still there. It being a new car why would anything need cleaning!

I will see if I can go to the service center this weekend and talk with them. Or probably try to bring the car to nearer service center as arindam_xeta adviced.
Old 18th April 2024, 11:17   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I agree and SC are also agreeing that this is misfire, but they are not able to diagnose the issue as there are no error codes as well. Last communication they said cleaning everything injectors EGR etc have reduced the issue and car now is accelerating but the engine is still knocking at cool conditions and the issue is still there. It being a new car why would anything need cleaning!
'Cleaning' is a term service centers use to say they have removed a part and checked. . Just so that we know they did something.

Ask them to give them in writing what all diagnosis was done if you are taking the car out of the service center so that you have a reference for future.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 18th April 2024 at 11:28.
sagarpadaki is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 12:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Check the ECU. My 10 year old Verna refused to start and the issue was diagnosed to be a blown ECM. The RSA tech was pretty confident that it was a rat bite or something but after checking everything it turned out to be the ECM. In my case they identified the issue in a day and confirmed it by connecting the ECM of another car. In your case, they might not have a replacement part or probably thinking it is too unlikely to fail this early.
Jaguar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 12:25   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Check the ECU. My 10 year old Verna refused to start and the issue was diagnosed to be a blown ECM. The RSA tech was pretty confident that it was a rat bite or something but after checking everything it turned out to be the ECM. In my case they identified the issue in a day and confirmed it by connecting the ECM of another car. In your case, they might not have a replacement part or probably thinking it is too unlikely to fail this early.

I just spoke with their territory head and she informed that I will most likely get the final diagnosis today by EOD.

I will await till then, wondering what may have gone wrong, but will take your suggestion if they fail to diagnose again.
Prithwitheraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 12:51   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I feel cheated and frustrated even after paying for a car priced almost 14 lakhs on the road.

I have today mailed all the details to their support channels and am yet to receive any response from them. But I am LOST currently and mind is wandering on many things
  1. Did I get sold a bad inventory?
  2. Maybe this is a small issue and will be rectified soon.
  3. Should I still be patient and wait till they repair
  4. Do I ask for replacement/refund/ move to consumer court for selling faulty vehicle and ask for compensation?
Your frustration is justified and appropriate. Its a technical defect and hopefully will be sorted out.
Ask the Hyundai service advisor for a timeline of the breakdown diagnosis and escalation matrix in case they are unable to solve the issue. Keep following up regularly.
Have you contacted the dealership where you bought the car from?

Many extreme thoughts will cross your mind (refund, consumer court, sold a lemon) don't get distracted by these thoughts right now concentrate on solving the breakdown and getting your car back to Kolkata from Haldia.

Since its a brand new car and still under warranty all the expenses for the repair/replacement should be borne by them., please document all the communication and steps taken by you for later use if necessary, record all verbal diagnosis & guarantees given by the service advisor.
Looking forward to your updates.

Last edited by BlackBeard : 18th April 2024 at 12:55.
BlackBeard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 13:46   #15

@OP:

I'm not sure if this helps or not, and while I had a different issue with my i20 when it had to be towed by RSA, it did work for me.

Generally, the RSA is supposed to tow the car to the nearest Hyundai Authorized Center. In my case, the incident happened in Delhi while I stayed in Noida. Since the car had to be kept there for 2 days which I was not comfortable with, I called my service executive (I ensure that it's the same executive that I give my car to every time) and asked him for assistance with getting the vehicle towed from the Delhi service center to theirs in Noida. He was glad to get it done for me and although he did mention that there would be an additional charge for it, the center was happy to write it off in the final billing.

Considering that your car is a 3-hour drive away from you at the moment, I think this would help your cause significantly if there are any major issues with the car. Having your vehicle nearby and the chance to drop by to see how things are going with the repair puts you in a calmer state of mind
BrittleRabbit is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks