Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2007, 06:41   #31
BHPian

Ask your service to check the parameters

Well as everyone knows the the first batch of sx4 were called in for a clutch replacement, and there is also a problem with the AC which works too hard if you have the car in the climate control mode, which is the main culprit too for low milage.. the ac thing is still being sorted out by maruthi and the dealers,
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3g0l4s View Post
neways guys i have recently purchased an SX4 zxi variant in hyderabad .. mileage during the first 1000kms was pretty decent .. hovering around 9.5-11 kmpl .. then i got my vehicle serviced and went for the clutch replacement too and ever since i got it serviced the mileage has come down drastically with ac on itz around 6 and withou ac itz around 8 ....

last week i had given it to the service station citing the same fault (kapico motors) got it back but the problem still persists ..

i just wanted to find out what could be the possible reason for the abysmally low mileage .. done around 1300 kms and the whole thingy in the city itself ..
well just ask your service guys to connect the techIII and ask them to see if all the parameters are set right or is there any flashing of error codes(by the way for those who are trying to plug the sx4 with the techII it will not work as the communications mode on the sx4 obd2 is different from all other maruthi's).
Old 9th November 2007, 11:22   #32
BHPian

POST DELETED:
Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : SMS / Slang language is not the preferred mode of communication on Team-BHP. We would much appreciate if you type your post out in clear and concise english for the benefit of other community members.

Last edited by Mpower : 9th November 2007 at 18:44.
Old 9th November 2007, 13:52   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
sorry for the delayed reply .. was kinda busy wid ma lab exams and stuff .. neways thought i would uodate ya guys on the issue now .. topped up the tank with fuel at shell and saw the mileage improving itz hovering around 9.5 now !

Thanx a lot guys for being really patient .. team-bhp rox
OT: be careful with your lingo...Looks like you have not read the board rules...Pls read it before sending your next post

Abhi
Old 9th November 2007, 14:06   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
OT: be careful with your lingo...Looks like you have not read the board rules...Pls read it before sending your next post

Abhi
I'm really sorry and i shall not repeat the same in the future !
Old 9th November 2007, 15:37   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Well i realised tat the engine is guzzlin more when i filled around 20 litres of petrol and the vehicle stopped (yup stopped) when it reached 120 km . got another 3 litres of petrol from a nearby petrol bunk and didnt go for a refill just to see whats the milegae like coz the tank was empty by then .. the vehicle again stopped after arnd 20 km ..

and the tank-2-tank method is only for the measure right ? so i guess there is some fault with the car itself ..
IMHO, "emptying the fuel tank" may not be a good method to find out FE. The quantum of fuel left in the tank when the car completely comes to a stop is not the same each time you run the car to a complete stop!!! Plus, checking mileage with 3 liters of fuel itself has a lot of variance in the process.

Anyway, good to hear that with the full tank method you are getting >9kmpl.

Best way to find/report FE: Total distance travelled (Odo reading) / total fuel used to travel that distance. This would be the overall FE over time.

Also, full tank fuel also helps wash the walls of the fuel tank, top to bottom.

Cheers.
Old 10th November 2007, 19:48   #36
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised that you guys mention the mileage of sx4 as 8-9.all the cars i have seen is returning arround 12-13 and i know a guy who had a city which was givingg him 17 and thenn he got his sx4 which is giving him arround 14 -15 regularly with a/c.these figures are tank full to tank full.
Old 10th November 2007, 20:11   #37
BHPian

Hey @13g014s, first read up some of the other forums for tips to measure FE. Tank full to Tankfull in short is the way to do it. I guess your measurement is flawed (sorry if it sounds harsh.but thats the truth). I'm sure you may be getting more than 8.
Check out the SX4 threads elsewhere in long term ownership sections. Everyone gets 9 + in the city. Some even claim 11.
I get 9.5 in the city and 14.5 in the highways.
I strongly suggest you measure your FE correctly (again time to read up) and if its still not in the 9+ region then you take your car to a different service station and get some help.
I get 9.5 in the city (AC on always.B2B traffic only). 14.5 in the highways.
Check wi
Old 11th November 2007, 00:33   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.C View Post
Hey @13g014s, first read up some of the other forums for tips to measure FE. Tank full to Tankfull in short is the way to do it. I guess your measurement is flawed (sorry if it sounds harsh.but thats the truth). I'm sure you may be getting more than 8.
Check out the SX4 threads elsewhere in long term ownership sections. Everyone gets 9 + in the city. Some even claim 11.
I get 9.5 in the city and 14.5 in the highways.
I strongly suggest you measure your FE correctly (again time to read up) and if its still not in the 9+ region then you take your car to a different service station and get some help.
I get 9.5 in the city (AC on always.B2B traffic only). 14.5 in the highways.
Check wi
Yes , as ya pointed out my method is probably flawed .. Might sound funny but to test the "real" mileage , always used to carry 3 litres of petrol whenever i reached the E-mark ! Allowed it go empty .. calculate the fuel consumption , open the boot .. fill those 3 litres and used to the rush to the closest pump ! (Stopped doing it these days ! but do i risk engine damage by allowing it to run till empty tank ??)

And yea from now onwards will go for the tank-2-tank method .. Will update ya guys on the mileage this way .. I just hope the mileage of my car is on par with the other folks here at team-bhp !
Old 11th November 2007, 00:37   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
I am surprised that you guys mention the mileage of sx4 as 8-9.all the cars i have seen is returning arround 12-13 and i know a guy who had a city which was givingg him 17 and thenn he got his sx4 which is giving him arround 14 -15 regularly with a/c.these figures are tank full to tank full.
Well my method of calculation could be wrong actually ! i fill in , say 20 litres , allow it finish (bottles in the car ya see ) and then calculate the mileage ! As other members have pointed out , i shall use the tank2tank method . I guess my car will return a higher mileage that way ..
Old 11th November 2007, 02:22   #40
Senior - BHPian

Hi l3g0l4s,

One of my friends works at the Maruti showroom. He said people comfortably achieve 10kmpl.

This makes me wonder (after Swift petrol, now SX4) why Maruti cars are no longer the economical types.

Good luck with resolving your issues.
Old 12th November 2007, 12:53   #41
BHPian

Hi,

Initially i use to get 10.4 Kmpl in city and 14.5 Kmpl in Highway with a/c. Now i have done 4300 Kms and in city FE raised by 1 km which is 11.4 Kmpl. I always use the auto option for the a/c. My sx4 did not fall under the clutch replacement batch. I guess thru good driving habit we could still increase the FE of this vehicle. And during the initial 1000 Km the gear shift was hard but now its better.
Old 12th November 2007, 13:08   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
Hi l3g0l4s,

One of my friends works at the Maruti showroom. He said people comfortably achieve 10kmpl.

This makes me wonder (after Swift petrol, now SX4) why Maruti cars are no longer the economical types.

Good luck with resolving your issues.
Thanx mate Anyways i just feel that my method of calculation is flawed ! Will calculate the FE with tank2tank method and then post the mileage
Old 12th November 2007, 23:15   #43
BHPian

Possible reason for sudden change in fuel efficiency

You might think it to be impossible but I do know a few cars from various manufacturers where the mileage went down drastically after the first service because of the following reasons.
1. Improper wheel alignment.
2. Swapping out of a perfectly normal Oxygen sensor with a faulty one from another car known to the mechanic.
3. Swapping out of a perfectly normal ECU with a faulty one from another car known to the mechanic.

The last two reasons are the most plausible ones for such a drastic change in your fuel efficiency.
Since these days the ECU in new maruti cars are not easily swappable its mostly likely the lambda sensor thats been swapped. The least possible reason is that your pump attender found an ingenious way to put less fuel in your car. It is advised that you mark all your major swappable components with a small dot of nail polish. Nail polish paint does not come off so easily.

Bye and wear your seat belts.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 12th November 2007 at 23:20.
Old 6th September 2008, 13:15   #44
BHPian

Low FE on SX4

Guyz i need help !
My SX4 which is a june-july 2007 model (13 k on the odo) gives very low FE. And this is despite the fact that i make it a point to fill up from a BP-company owned petrol pump near my house and my car is in terrific performance state. Every time i fill up, it refuses to return above a fixed 7.98 kmpl, whatever may be my driving style, road conditions etc. These are 100% AC figures and i tend to drive normally and not very rash. I faced a few problems earlier :

1. The car's rpm started dropping by the day and one fine day it started stalling completely if i depressed the clutch or while at idle. The M.A.S.S "reported" it as bad fuel and rectified it. A few days later the problem emerged again, and this time the wise-guyz reprogrammed the ECU. Amazingly, the car was fine again.
2. Some days later I noticed that the A.C was putting too much of a load on the engine, and that it caused the revs to fall down and remain low, leading to a not-so-smooth idle and harsh engine while driving. Gave it to RanaMotors, Okhla (by far the best M.A.S.S) and they fixed it up very neatly (some sensor near the injectors, which controls the rpm). Everything restored to normal.
3. Ever since the sensor problem has been rectified, the new car is altogether a different machine. The pick-up is super even at low-revs, the car's engine note is super smooth and the overall performance has improved by miles. The only thing though, i feel the FE has gone down a bit more..its still returning 7.5-8 kmpl, w/o failure.

I can't figure out the problem, because the performance is like at an alltime high..so i d;nt feel there's a problem with the engine or something. Can it be due to the sensor not repaired properly ?? Can it be the Oxygen sensor ?
I'm really worried..because Rs.6/km makes me go mad !
Help !

P.S Sx4 owners kindly mention what FE you guyz are getting and in what conditons, how much do you drive in a day etc.
Old 6th September 2008, 14:05   #45
BHPian

HI

Try re-setting the ECU, by unplugging the negitive battery cable for few mins. Might work!!!!

amit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks