Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2007, 11:30   #121
BHPian

I do not see how there will be more loss of traction in FWD since inertia pushes weight backwards. The moment car starts motion there are lateral forces working on the front of the car + added engine weight in the front gives sufficient traction. The weight transfer to front during braking should effect better braking in FWD, is it not right.

BTW I was thinking the reason for Baleno not to do wheelsping may be because its peak torque is at 3000 RPM and the shifting seems to be happening in higher RPMs. Also is there any thing like weight to torque relationship for wheelspins ? We all know it is easy to achieve wheelspin in cars with good amount of torque.
Old 23rd September 2007, 12:00   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
What I am understanding is that it has something to do with the clutch spring back action. Thats all.
That certainly is one of the IMPORTANT factors.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
If it is about inducing wheelspin, then redlining the engine is not normally necessary. It is factors like torque curve, gear ratios, harsh or soft clutch, type of footwear and type of road surface that go towards deciding it.
Old 23rd September 2007, 16:03   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Type of footwear is actually quite important for good clutch control.

What tires you have probably matters too.

Old 23rd September 2007, 16:46   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Type of footwear is actually quite important for good clutch control.

What tires you have probably matters too.

tyres do play a big role. try wheelspinning in neovas and then in something like goodyear gps2 and see the difference.
Old 23rd September 2007, 17:18   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
tyres do play a big role. try wheelspinning in neovas and then in something like goodyear gps2 and see the difference.

Same size tires with the same car at a 6000rpm dump-launch,and the only difference would be the neovas leaving rubber on the road accompanied with smoke and the gps2 making only skid like marks.

Though the neovas would gain traction a bit early.
Old 23rd September 2007, 18:12   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
imagine your imaginary setup having a high center of gravity, travelling at 100 mph, then braking hard. you will get a different kind of a nosedive.
Yeah,that would be a kind of head over heels nosedive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
I do not see how there will be more loss of traction in FWD since inertia pushes weight backwards. The moment car starts motion there are lateral forces working on the front of the car + added engine weight in the front gives sufficient traction. The weight transfer to front during braking should effect better braking in FWD, is it not right.
Exactly. The engine weight does compensate for the weight transfer to the rear. Thus the FWDs can still put the power to the ground, albiet resulting in some torque-steer. Whereas during braking, it doesn't matter if the car is a FWD or a RWD, since it is not the drive that does the braking, the weight transfer under braking will not depend on whether the car is a FWD or RWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
BTW I was thinking the reason for Baleno not to do wheelsping may be because its peak torque is at 3000 RPM and the shifting seems to be happening in higher RPMs. Also is there any thing like weight to torque relationship for wheelspins ? We all know it is easy to achieve wheelspin in cars with good amount of torque.
Okay. Torque again. So let me work on the stats for the torque figures and torqueband for all the cars. Lets see if it has a bearing.
Old 25th September 2007, 07:37   #127
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

vivek_pinkoo, since your first post was directed against me let me clarify.
Yes, I belong to the student community! Does that change anything? No, when I bought the car my MOM paid for it. But, I have often paid the EMI's with my own money. Does that change anything?

Yes, I have spent my hard earned money and quite a lot of it on modding my car (close to 2.6L). Yes, I have taken my parents to track or have driven my car pretty fast (and not reckless) with them sitting by my side. Does that change anything? Oh just to let you know I have also spent close to 1 Lakh rupees to go to track days and do all my R&D there. Does that change anything?

Or is my opinion still as invaluable to you as it first was? I request you stop being so judgmental, and specially act like one of those I am wiser because I "earn my own bread" or "I am older than you" syndrome.
Old 25th September 2007, 10:07   #128
BHPian

It is also the so called "professional community" posting comments on team-bhp at their employer's cost (termed as hard-earned money)

I suggest we delete most of such posts on this thread as it is sad to see low-grade discussions on a beautiful forum
Old 23rd October 2007, 15:45   #129
BHPian

Wow!! Everyone's suddenly into red lining themselves when discussing these days. Talk about being emotional!! Hope we don't see such heated debate and generalization any time soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks