Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2007, 17:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Long drives on my swift..left knee pain

Hey guys

Though this thread is for technical doubts, for my doubt, i need more of a doctor..

can i say sort of medical help ?

i came back from my wayanad trip yesterday..roads were really nice(95% road was nice)

and i hardly had to press clutch for long...it was a smooth drive all the way..I agree that in city traffic, you ll keep pressing the clutch often..but on long drives, u hardly have to use it.

I just wanted to know whats the reason for this and how to avoid.

Some more queries

1. Is it specific to swift or common to all cars? (left knee only pains)

2. Is it because of lack of movement of my left foot ? (there is no provision to rest my left foot,right foot has the accelerator as support)

3. any suggestions to avoid this? ( i didnt take much break to stretch my legs, gundlupet to bangalore non stop drive..but i dont think its too far!!!)

I am sure those of you who have done long drives, can help me out with this..as i am really a novice when it comes to long drives(hardly driven fourwheelers for 4K KMs)
Old 5th November 2007, 17:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

I have faced the similar issue on my esteem. The reason for the pain is that most of the time there is no proper support for the left foot. Get a dead pedal installed beside the clutch pedal. This should help to a large extent.
Old 5th November 2007, 17:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I have faced the similar issue on my esteem. The reason for the pain is that most of the time there is no proper support for the left foot. Get a dead pedal installed beside the clutch pedal. This should help to a large extent.
What exactly do u mean by that ? i mean.. how to get it installed.. ? is that a rubber piece or something.. pardon my ignorance..
Old 5th November 2007, 18:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Check a Hyundai car and you will know what the dead pedal is.
Old 5th November 2007, 18:32   #5
BHPian

Hi Rajshenoy,

You could even check a Palio for an example. It also has a dead pedal(support) which is used to rest your left leg during the long drives.
Old 5th November 2007, 19:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
What exactly do u mean by that ? i mean.. how to get it installed.. ? is that a rubber piece or something..
Check out this link : Dead Pedal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Search for "Dead Pedal" in google images and you'll know what a dead pedal looks like.
Old 5th November 2007, 19:20   #7
BHPian

hi,
any place in bangalore where we can get dead pedal installed? Does it require drilling thru the body.will that void any kind of warrenty?

Regards,
Old 5th November 2007, 19:52   #8
BHPian

where can one get the dead pedal installed bcoz even my left leg pains while driving (using fiat 1.6 sienna )
Old 5th November 2007, 21:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

One of the reasons why I ruled out Swift was that it does not have a dead pedal. Being 6 2 tall, the only option I had was to rest my foot on the clutch pedal. I cant live without it after being used to hyundai and mitsubishi cars.
Old 5th November 2007, 21:28   #10
BHPian

hey guys i too have the same problem, moreover my problem is worse as i drive a NHC CVT. my leg pains even in normal traffic as there is no clutch and due to the long time it takes to go around in traffic, my leg gets worse due to the non presence of a dead pedal in the NHC.
Old 5th November 2007, 22:38   #11
BHPian

Dead pedal/footrest is quite important thing!

I can feel the difference after riding cars which doesn't and does have it.

A self help approach is here
Dead Pedal

I once tried with a wooden wedge - didn't work well. In fact it made the matter worse
Old 5th November 2007, 22:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Why do you stretch you legs when you are not using the clutch. On long drives, I usually push the seat back more than normal and stretch my legs. Also remember to take frequent breaks as your blood flow is reduced on long drives.
Old 5th November 2007, 23:00   #13
BHPian

I had the same issue with the swift. Never had it with the NHC however. Pushing the seat back helps a lot but in a swift there is only this much you can push back. It also has to do with how fast you are content to drive at. Pushing you car to the limits, especially in a crowded road will cause frequent gear shifts and more pain.
Old 6th November 2007, 00:55   #14
BHPian

i faced this issue or a lil bit of time in my Santro. All i did was changed the way i used to press the clutch.

Earlier it used to be a bit tilted foot, a bit towards left. Later i made it a habbit of pressing it with a 90 Degree foot. I hope i made my point clear but it really helped me overcome this issue also without any need for the dead pedal.
Old 6th November 2007, 01:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Why do you stretch you legs when you are not using the clutch. On long drives, I usually push the seat back more than normal and stretch my legs. Also remember to take frequent breaks as your blood flow is reduced on long drives.
Quite a valid point. A lot of people tend to keep driving non-stop for a good couple of hours. Especially people who do long distance trips often.I know that the point is to save time,but it really affects circulation in the long run.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks