Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2007, 01:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Why do you stretch you legs when you are not using the clutch.
Sorry, I meant why dont you stretch your legs.
Old 6th November 2007, 02:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I have faced the similar issue on my esteem. The reason for the pain is that most of the time there is no proper support for the left foot. Get a dead pedal installed beside the clutch pedal. This should help to a large extent.
@n_aditya: Do you have one installed in your Esteem now ? If so, can you provide details on how you went about getting it done ? I am so used to the dead pedal in my Civic here that I am going to find it difficult when I come back to India.
Old 6th November 2007, 09:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

I dont mind keeping a brick also.. if it will save me from this pain

Jokes apart.. i got a clear idea of what a dead pedal is now.. infact i remember seeing this on hyundai santro(driving school one)

Wonder why it is not there on swift.. shall i say ..cost cutting ?

Anyways, I am not very tall..so i push the seat to a very relaxed position on long drives.. i think the problem is due to the absense of a foot rest(dead pedal) and also due to not stretching my legs say every couple of hours...

i will try to keep these things in mind.

And for the dead pedal.. if you guys know where to get it fitted please let me know(my guess says local garage guy can fit a rubber piece easily...have to check out first)
Old 6th November 2007, 10:53   #19
VBV
BHPian

A good ergonomic position is quite important. If you can sit in a good position, you can drive endlessly, although a break is advised every now and then. I've put up a small article at:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...rgonomics.html

Please put in your thoughts there based on your current experiences.

VBV
Old 6th November 2007, 18:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
@n_aditya: Do you have one installed in your Esteem now ?
Not yet got it installed in my esteem. But i have seen one in my friends rally esteem and it was drilled to the floor and was very practical (comfortable and securely installed).

I suggest you get the pedal installed which has an option of moving it back and forth as required. All that is needed for this is a locking pin to keep it secure. This way if there is more than one person driving the car there wont be any issues with the dead pedal being dedicated to one single person only.
Old 6th November 2007, 22:21   #21
Team-BHP Support

i dont think swift has space to place a good dead pedal. i do lot of long trips ranging from 400 to 700 kms in a day, but i ensure i take a break every 100 kms or 1 hour. walk, stretch, do couple of sit ups and enjoy the scenery/highway/fag/tea/ and inspect the car too.

works fine for me.
Old 7th November 2007, 11:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the tips guys.. wud try to follow them.. lets see if i can observe any difference(without installing the dead pedal)

will keep you updated..

mean time, those of you who have anything to share, please keep sharing
Old 16th November 2007, 20:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

Also make sure your posture is not slightly twisted while driving. I have done trips of 200-250 km non-stop and never had any problem.
Old 16th November 2007, 21:31   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
i take a break every 100 kms or 1 hour. walk, stretch, do couple of sit ups and enjoy the scenery/highway/fag/tea/ and inspect the car too.
No matter which car you're driving..these really work. Non smokers can discount that fag bit.
Old 26th November 2007, 10:37   #25

Nothing to worry. Stay relaxed while driving, push your seat back and stretch you leg when not using the clutch. Also, when you take breaks, try walking a bit and all these help.
Old 2nd March 2010, 09:52   #26
BHPian

Last one year, whenever I used to have pain in left leg, could not pinpoint, but recently going to doctor, he suggested nothing to do with joints, I am zeroing on the clutch of Maruti - 800, especially in city traffic for more than a day or two, there is enormous pain behind the knee.
Doctor suggested that there is inflammation inside, gets relief from anti-inflammatory drugs but again resurfaces.
Any suggestions/experience welcome.
Old 2nd March 2010, 19:44   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Well, this thread already has some very valuable suggestions. If they still don't work, buy an AT
Old 2nd March 2010, 19:52   #28
BHPian

Here are some pointers:

1. Do not shift back the seat too much.
2. The lean of the seat should also not be much.
3. Such that, your leg should NOT straighten compltely when you press the clutch fully.
4. Your knee should always have sufficient angle and not straighten up completely.
5. If it does, make sure you move the seat forward. Try this and then see in peak traffic.
6. Also make sure your clutch is in good condition.

I hope you understood what I said about the angle. It is important. I had this problem, and one cab driver told me this. I have no knee pain anymore. I drive a Fiesta Petrol.
abhi1309 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2012, 14:27   #29
BHPian

Re: Long drives on my swift..left knee pain

Reviving this thread to get important feedback from rajshenoy. I started getting left knee pain even if i drive my car for 10-15 mins. I was driving a Ritz till last month, covered more than 50K kms in 3 years. I never had this issue with Ritz. After changing to new swift, i am getting horrible pain in my left calf muscle and it transitions to knee after sometime. Any ideas how to avoid the pain?
Old 29th October 2012, 15:06   #30
BHPian

Re: Long drives on my swift..left knee pain

Same thing here. With new swift I am seeing horrible pain in my knee(left). May be bacause my seat is fully ushed back. I am 5'11"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks