Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2007, 11:29   #31
Senior - BHPian

these things are done mostly in karnataka.and more over remember the issue with 3 F1 cars .there was a controversy regarding the fuel temp.if the fuel temp is less than ambient then the efficiency also goes up in the F1 car,i believe its true with every car.
ram
Old 21st December 2007, 12:42   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca View Post
Does that mean that we can get more fuel in cooler temperatures?
nope not really. what happens is the volume is dependent on the temp of the matter and surrounding temperature . worldwide the correct temp on measuring volume of gasolene is 15 deg C. all bunks whether its being govenment ioc bpcl hp or private reliance have calculations for conversion of volume with consideration of temperature taking into account the expansion ratio of the product at any given time. thats why when these people report their stock they need the temp. of the underground tanks.

to clear your point
the pumps compensate the fuel at any time u r fillin in try it at 5 in the morning at 2 in the afternoon . these guys have measuring flasks with them provided to them from the head offices also certified by weights and measures bureau . check on that flask normally its a five lit one. ask them to fill it the amount of fuel is the same. as becoz the automatic valves inside the pumps which take into account the temp of the liquid and compensates to the exact litres to be dispensed also called as temp variant solenoids which controls the valves if i am not wrng.
Old 21st December 2007, 14:16   #33
BHPian

Good piece of Info Abhishek.
Old 21st December 2007, 16:16   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

As a theoretical concept, its a good one. But then again, this is a classic symptom prevalent everywhere in India that aims to stifle the symptom rather than treat the root of the problem.

The other aspect not addressed by such a system is the purity of petrol - what would one know if he got the 35 liters (verified by weight, thru this system) he paid for but that was adultered fuel? Then we'd need another sensor to verify the purity of the fuel going in.
Old 21st December 2007, 16:49   #35
BHPian

Assuming that the volume based cheating is not prevalent, I think it is high time to come up with a user friendy hand held device which will identify the adulterated fuel(or is it already there). If the device is not easily available for the consumers, the Govt should conduct surprise checks at the fuel stations to check the adulteration. This is being done I suppose, but is it done to the spirit or just to get a bribe?? The Govt should immediately cancel the licenses of the stations selling adulterated fuel and shut their shop with immediate effect after conducting necessary enquiries. All said and done, is the Govt machinery ready to do it? Million dollar question.
Old 21st December 2007, 16:52   #36
Team-BHP Support

Las time somebody tried to close down a pump due to cheating, he was murdered.
Old 21st December 2007, 17:03   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Las time somebody tried to close down a pump due to cheating, he was murdered.
I even heard that the poor fellow's body fluids were mixed with the fuel in the underground tank!
Old 21st December 2007, 17:15   #38
BHPian

True. You know such gory incidents are bound to happen when you want justice to prevail. Govt should use iron hands to take the culprits to task.
Old 21st December 2007, 17:52   #39
BHPian

I remember one device...once in a forensic lecture on liquid incendiary's we were discussing gasoline and i came up a question on fuel adulteration...the discussion ended with the conclusion that an EGIS system can be very effective for checking fuel adulteration in a sample with the ability to exactly tell us what are the components in the fuel sample..i gave a presentation on EGIS and mentioned fuel adulteration too.....but the fact that no one uses portable EGIS setup in criminal investigation in india...forget checking fuel adulteration...

btw EGIS stands for Explosive Gas Identification System and is commonly used in explosion scenes all over the developed world and for drug and substances identification and is portable and quick technique indentifying substances in less than 20-25 secs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkumar_rec View Post
Assuming that the volume based cheating is not prevalent, I think it is high time to come up with a user friendy hand held device which will identify the adulterated fuel(or is it already there). If the device is not easily available for the consumers, the Govt should conduct surprise checks at the fuel stations to check the adulteration. This is being done I suppose, but is it done to the spirit or just to get a bribe?? The Govt should immediately cancel the licenses of the stations selling adulterated fuel and shut their shop with immediate effect after conducting necessary enquiries. All said and done, is the Govt machinery ready to do it? Million dollar question.
Old 23rd December 2007, 11:27   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
Petrol has a sg(specific gravity) of approx 0.75 & hence weighs 750gms per lt(source: Mass, Weight, Density or Specific Gravity of Liquids) . ....and it varies with the current atmospheric temprature! so weight based sensors are of no gud use,

but yes, i feel if some company can come up with a flow based portable meter, that we can fit in between fuel nozzle and the fuel tank, that will be an instant hit!
take it or no take it, this device will certainly give us an idea which bunks to blacklist!

Regards,
the quantity would also vary based on where you are filling. i.e. 1 litle in delhi will not be the same as 1 litle in chennai due to varying pressure & height above sea level.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks