Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2011, 16:07   #136
BHPian

Re: The Technical Truth? :Petrol vs Diesel

also can you clarify what type of pump is used in the fuel oil system? there is a return line connecting the pump with the fuel tank, what is that for?
Old 2nd March 2011, 17:01   #137
BHPian

niteshbids, in one of the earlier posts you had mentioned about piezo injectors, can you give some information regarding the same? how are they different from regular injectors?
Old 2nd March 2011, 17:35   #138
BHPian

The fuel pressure in the rails and the injectors are in the range of 1200 to 1800 bars in general applications. There have been engines in which the pressure goes as high as 2400 bars, though i don't know exactly which one it is.

I'm not aware of any separate overflow tank for the fuel. I really don't see the point, but maybe there is something. or maybe the Scorpio owner was confusing some other part. Not sure..
Old 2nd March 2011, 17:59   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkanchan View Post
also can you clarify what type of pump is used in the fuel oil system? there is a return line connecting the pump with the fuel tank, what is that for?
Don't know the exact type of pump used. All i can say is that it is a mechanically driven pump driven by the engine.

Quote:
niteshbids, in one of the earlier posts you had mentioned about piezo injectors, can you give some information regarding the same? how are they different from regular injectors?
The main difference is the method of actuation. Instead of regular solenoids, the piezoelectric injectors use piezoelectric crystals for the actuation which have much faster response time (upto 5 times faster) allowing for more accurate metering of the fuel. The higher accuracy also allows for higher pressures which in turn give better atomisation.

Better atomisation and accurate metering result in less unburnt particles, lesser emissions and better efficiency.
Old 2nd March 2011, 18:01   #140
BHPian

Quote:
there is a return line connecting the pump with the fuel tank, what is that for?
Sorry, missed this part in my earlier reply - The return line is same as the one coming from the common rail as well. The idea behind it is that wherever there is any excess pressure and needs to be released, there needs to be a provision for it.
Old 2nd March 2011, 21:20   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
By regular injectors do you mean the older non CR implementation? If so, these are entirely different. Injectors for CR systems are controlled by a electrical signal. These don't pop under fluid pressure.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 6th March 2011, 01:43   #142
BHPian

By regular injectors, I reckon he means the more commonly used solenoid based injectors currently used in most cars running on common rail engines. The piezo injectors are still uncommon as they are significantly more expensive than the solenoid based ones
Old 6th March 2011, 11:31   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshbids View Post
Don't know the exact type of pump used. All i can say is that it is a mechanically driven pump driven by the engine.
Radial piston pump.

Regards
Sutripta

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks